Jets sign Frank Gore

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

LeSean McCoy was signed by the Chiefs last September, knew Andy Reid's playbook, helped as a veteran locker room presence, scored a few TD's, and was a nice part of a Championship run.

Gase adding a vet who knows his system, is going to the HOF, and is a beast of a work-ethic guy is exactly what a team that has division title aspirations in 2020 should be doing.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It may have been mentioned already, but boy were we wrong on the type of RB Gase wants. 

While we may like speed on the outside, our roster is now stacked with tough, dependable, reliable, between the tackle runners that can catch passes.  

Doesnt sound like that's what Gase has in mind for Bell on a consistent basis:

Gase also revealed that he is planning to use more outside-zone runs than last season -- i.e., stretch plays. With the additions of George Fant and first-round pick Mekhi Becton at tackle, the Jets have improved their athletic ability on the offensive line, conducive to a zone scheme. He said it's "something we're really looking to get back to. We probably went away from it a little bit last year -- quite a bit. We're looking to make that more of a staple for ourselves."

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

LeSean McCoy was signed by the Chiefs last September, knew Andy Reid's playbook, helped as a veteran locker room presence, scored a few TD's, and was a nice part of a Championship run.

Gase adding a vet who knows his system, is going to the HOF, and is a beast of a work-ethic guy is exactly what a team that has division title aspirations in 2020 should be doing.

SAR I

And is exactly the kind of guy they want guiding Lamical Perine in his rookie season.  The move is a good one for a variety of reasons.  If I'm Perine, I watch and try to learn from 2 of the best backs in the history of the game.  Because he is most likely the guy for 2021.  Makes sense then to have Gore there as well as Bell. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Maybe he's vying to become the oldest RB to ever play?    He is 37 turning 38 in 2 weeks.  Marcus Allen was 37 and some say he holds the record for oldest RB. But others claim it's Jim Thorpe who was 40.  If Allen is the oldest, then Gore is about to set the record. 

Maybe Gase wants Perine to have some Gore for help influence and not just to follow Bell?

I'm sure Adam Gase has his paws all over this.  Fine by me.  From all accounts, Gore's a great guy to have in that locker room.  Especially with all these rookies and Perine perhaps being the 2021 starter. 

Tony Richardson was the same age when we signed him.

And he lasted 3 more seasons.  

Perine has two greats to learn from and if Bell goes down we have a RB who can come in and block, something rookies tend to struggle with

• Post of the Week 1

The reality is that Douglas is going to bring in veteran players who fit the system and are cheap.  They can play a certain role on the team while the young guys can develop and learn from them. 

Edge Rushers like:

Cam Wake

Michael Bennett

Ezekiel Ansah

Jabaal Sheard

Everson Griffin

CB's Like:

Jonathon Joseph

Logan Ryan 

Aquib Talib

Prince Amukamura

Dre Kirkpatrick

Brandon Carr

WR's Like:

D. Thomas

Jordan Matthews 

Dontrelle Inman

Russell Shepard

Jaron Brown

Nobody fancy but just consistent vets who they can count on to play a role for the team.  The idea that the team is going to just play all young guys and not try to win next year is not consistent with Douglas' mentality. 

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

The reality is that Gase is going to bring in veteran players who fit the system and are cheap.  They can play a certain role on the team while the young guys can develop and learn from them. 

Edge Rushers like:

Cam Wake

Michael Bennett

Ezekiel Ansah

Jabaal Sheard

Everson Griffin

CB's Like:

Jonathon Joseph

Logan Ryan 

Aquib Talib

Prince Amukamura

Dre Kirkpatrick

Brandon Carr

WR's Like:

D. Thomas

Jordan Matthews 

Dontrelle Inman

Russell Shepard

Jaron Brown

Nobody fancy but just consistent vets who they can count on to play a role for the team.  The idea that the team is going to just play all young guys and not try to win next year is not consistent with Douglas' mentality. 

Many of these guys could be upgrades on this roster 

3 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Many of these guys could be upgrades on this roster 

Exactly.  Too many people have Madden in their minds where they believe they need to create a roster with a bunch of 25 year olds. It's going to take 3 drafts for Douglas to turn this roster over to what he likes but in the meantime they still want to win and develop Darnold. Proven veterans on short contracts will bide time for that plan to come to fruition while also help to win now. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Doesnt sound like that's what Gase has in mind for Bell on a consistent basis:

Gase also revealed that he is planning to use more outside-zone runs than last season -- i.e., stretch plays. With the additions of George Fant and first-round pick Mekhi Becton at tackle, the Jets have improved their athletic ability on the offensive line, conducive to a zone scheme. He said it's "something we're really looking to get back to. We probably went away from it a little bit last year -- quite a bit. We're looking to make that more of a staple for ourselves."

Running more outside zone plays doesn't  change the type of players he is.

Besides that, Outside zone plays aren't predicated on speed.  It's not a race to the edge.  Vision and ability to cut are far more important than pure speed.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Maybe he's vying to become the oldest RB to ever play?    He is 37 turning 38 in 2 weeks.  Marcus Allen was 37 and some say he holds the record for oldest RB. But others claim it's Jim Thorpe who was 40.  If Allen is the oldest, then Gore is about to set the record. 

Maybe Gase wants Perine to have some Gore for help influence and not just to follow Bell?

I'm sure Adam Gase has his paws all over this.  Fine by me.  From all accounts, Gore's a great guy to have in that locker room.  Especially with all these rookies and Perine perhaps being the 2021 starter. 

Thorpe didn't play football till he was 33 or so I think he was punting till age 40 also was the HC.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Tony Richardson was the same age when we signed him.

And he lasted 3 more seasons.  

Perine has two greats to learn from and if Bell goes down we have a RB who can come in and block, something rookies tend to struggle with

Funny that Richardson isn't considered with respect to oldest running backs.  I guess they just halfbacks are considered.  Fullbacks get no respect at all. The Rodney Dangerfields of NFL history.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Running more outside zone plays doesn't  change the type of players he is.

Besides that, Outside zone plays aren't predicated on speed.  It's not a race to the edge.  Vision and ability to cut are far more important than pure speed.

Outside zone plays benefit a player with vision and 1 cut ability.  Those are the exact skill sets of Bell, Gore and Perine.

I wonder if some people on this board understand what Douglas is doing to build culture.

Who is that vet that will look LeVeon in the eyes and hold him accountable the next time he decides to go bowling the night before missing a game with the flu?

Who else knows and can explain why Gase does things a certain way maybe even better than his own coaches?

A guy who tore both ACLs in college but is still playing 16 years later?

A Miami legend that can set a positive example for a locker room full of young Gators?

"OG" Gore brings certain intangibles that you can't measure with statistics.

Or yeah, we can go with Trenton Cannon because he's a fast Gunner.

• Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Funny that Richardson isn't considered with respect to oldest running backs.  I guess they just halfbacks are considered.  Fullbacks get no respect at all. The Rodney Dangerfields of NFL history.

Jim Brown disagrees B)

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Are we really going to jump off a cliff because we signed a veteran third-string running back? 

In the big picture, this move is inconsequential.  The benefit, if any, is in the intangibles-  locker room, culture, work ethic, mentoring, etc.  Mop up duty in a blowout.  A safe set of hands to kill the clock late in the game.  A trusted backup if an injury strikes RB1 or RB2.  Don't lose any sleep over this.

SAR I

Right. Just like we gave McCown $10 million in 2018 to be all intangibley, and then whoopsie doodle Darnold got hurt and McCown came in and leadershipped his way to 1 TD, 4 INTs, 7 sacks, and an 0-3 record. Gore was 43rd out of 45 qualifying players in DYAR last year and dead last in DVOA. Here's hoping he mentors Bell into staying healthy all season!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

There will be younger legs available during cut downs.

Very Jetsy signing.

Matt Forte redux

I mean forte was 7 years younger, signed a multi year deal and was brought in to start. A lot of differences between the signings. 

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Right. Just like we gave McCown $10 million in 2018 to be all intangibley, and then whoopsie doodle Darnold got hurt and McCown came in and leadershipped his way to 1 TD, 4 INTs, 7 sacks, and an 0-3 record. Gore was 43rd out of 45 qualifying players in DYAR last year and dead last in DVOA. Here's hoping he mentors Bell into staying healthy all season!

Yeah but as soon as Josh left Sam got mono. What you say to that?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2