Jets sign Frank Gore

Isn't Bell supposed to be the veteran presence? 

This is just the beginning of the end of Bell in NY. He will be gone after the 2020 season and Perine will be the lead back in 2021.  Book it. Gore is here to mentor Perine and take touches away from Bell.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

This move is not about production, its about a strong leader and locker room presence.. This is a relatively young team, to add a true professional like gore to the building just helps build the character of this team in the mold that JD wants.  Sometimes its not about what players will do on the field (although i think gore can certainly still play), its more about what they bring to the table off the field.  Nice value pick up for JD that I think will go a long way. 

Of course.

But apparently it's also SOJF Eyeore fodder to cry about how Adam Gase isn't the cuddly head coach they wanted two years ago.

SAR I

Just now, AFJF said:

Everybody knows RBs need mentors just as much as QBs do.  Both positions equally difficult to adjust to.

Not everybody by the time backs get to college they have a style that works for them. I saw Jim Brown play at Manhasset HS no one mentored him it's a natural talent..

7 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

This move is not about production, its about a strong leader and locker room presence.. This is a relatively young team, to add a true professional like gore to the building just helps build the character of this team in the mold that JD wants.  Sometimes its not about what players will do on the field (although i think gore can certainly still play), its more about what they bring to the table off the field.  Nice value pick up for JD that I think will go a long way. 

This move was about Gase's old pal getting one more season to add to his career stats  #compiler

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Everybody knows RBs need mentors just as much as QBs do.  Both positions equally difficult to adjust to.

Maturity more than technique.  Work ethic more than footwork.  Do you want to win the division?  It takes some veteran presence to get there.  When young guys see a guy like Gore working as hard as he does with the high expectations he has, it rubs off.

Name the old Jets players that were once elite and set the example for a roster that is getting very young very quickly.  LaDanian Tomlinson.  Plaxico Burress.  Jason Taylor.  Tony Richardson.  Damien Woody.  Guys like that.  We don't have any.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Of course.

But apparently it's also SOJF Eyeore fodder to cry about how Adam Gase isn't the cuddly head coach they wanted two years ago.

SAR I

i personally saw the news and thought nothing of the connection to gase.  To me the move screemed JD bringing in the right guys to build this thing in his first real year constructing the team.  

Just fits his model so well... Also why I believe they traded down to draft so many players.. This year was about building a strong character and explosively athletic core of guys.  Thats why you see us drafting so many team captains, and signing a guy like gore.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If we assume Bell, Gore and Perine are locks.....do ANY of Cannon, Josh Adams or Ken Dixon make the team?

Cannon is the gunner on punt coverage isn't he?  That might help him sort of like Charone Peake?

• Upvote 1

He will be 37 in 9 days.  10 years in San Francisco, 3 in Indy, 1 each in Dolphins and Bills nd now Jets.  Wow.

Time warp:  Gore was backup to Clinton Portis on the Hurricanes and was slated to be starter ahead of McGahee but them got injured.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Isn't Bell supposed to be the veteran presence? 

This is just the beginning of the end of Bell in NY. He will be gone after the 2020 season and Perine will be the lead back in 2021.  Book it. Gore is here to mentor Perine and take touches away from Bell.

yes and bell was clearly slower last year so the difference between bell and gore sadly isn't as big as we think.  bell will be phased out.

14 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

While everyone else goes young and fast at RB, the Jets go old and slow. 

Good to see some forward thinking here.

LeSean McCoy was signed by the Chiefs last September, knew Andy Reid's playbook, helped as a veteran locker room presence, scored a few TD's, and was a nice part of a Championship run.

Gase adding a vet who knows his system, is going to the HOF, and is a beast of a work-ethic guy is exactly what a team that has division title aspirations in 2020 should be doing.

SAR I

It may have been mentioned already, but boy were we wrong on the type of RB Gase wants. 

While we may like speed on the outside, our roster is now stacked with tough, dependable, reliable, between the tackle runners that can catch passes.  

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It may have been mentioned already, but boy were we wrong on the type of RB Gase wants. 

While we may like speed on the outside, our roster is now stacked with tough, dependable, reliable, between the tackle runners that can catch passes.  

With better OL play, these runners should be able to control clock.  

9 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

This move was about Gase's old pal getting one more season to add to his career stats  #compiler

Maybe he's vying to become the oldest RB to ever play?    He is 37 turning 38 in 2 weeks.  Marcus Allen was 37 and some say he holds the record for oldest RB. But others claim it's Jim Thorpe who was 40.  If Allen is the oldest, then Gore is about to set the record. 

Maybe Gase wants Perine to have some Gore for help influence and not just to follow Bell?

I'm sure Adam Gase has his paws all over this.  Fine by me.  From all accounts, Gore's a great guy to have in that locker room.  Especially with all these rookies and Perine perhaps being the 2021 starter.