Warford wants around 7 mil per

I don't want to hate on Winters but he even wears the same number. If you're planning to keep Winters for depth or competition, then it really does seem like something JD should try to make happen. I won't get my hopes up because there will probably be competition and I don't see JD breaking the bank. 

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

One point that was made in an earlier thread is that Warford is perhaps the slowest player in the NFL.  He ran a 5.58 at the combine 7 years ago and he probably hasn't gotten faster since then.  He may be a good player who is a bad fit for what we are building.  Or he may just not want to play/live up here.  Lots of reasons why it might not happen which don't automatically mean JD is doing a bad job.  

This is an undervalued point. It's known that Gase can not adapt to players and needs specific players for his scheme. So every guy out there may not be an option.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Instant upgrade to a perennial pro bowler who hasn't turned thirty and is reasonably priced?  Why isn't this done already?  I actually really like Winters' toughness and willingness to play through pain.  He's got some "dawg" in him.  But his shoulders are like rusted hinges ready to pop at any minute.  Not his fault.  But keeping him over Warford would simply be bad business.

I like Winters as well. It’s unfortunate he’s always hurt. He can move well also. So probably fits our scheme well. But if you’re not healthy, you’re not helping.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Can you explain to me why it matters how fast an offensive lineman can run 40 yards in a straight line?

If you want your Guards to pull, they have to be able to run at least a few yards quickly.  I'm not sure he can do that.  

He also wasn't particularly good at Pass Protection last season.  

Not saying he isn't still very capable, but I don't think this is a clear-cut upgrade for our system.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

One point that was made in an earlier thread is that Warford is perhaps the slowest player in the NFL.  He ran a 5.58 at the combine 7 years ago and he probably hasn't gotten faster since then.  He may be a good player who is a bad fit for what we are building.  Or he may just not want to play/live up here.  Lots of reasons why it might not happen which don't automatically mean JD is doing a bad job.  

I think this is spot on. Warford is fairly slow/unathlettic -- he's a power blocker in a gap scheme. I can see why it makes tons of sense on paper but I don't see it happening either.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If you want your Guards to pull, they have to be able to run at least a few yards quickly.  I'm not sure he can do that.  

Not saying he isn't still very capable, but I don't think this is a clear-cut upgrade for our system.

A guard pulling isn't much like running 40 yards in a straight line though.

If it was March and prior to the Jets signing and drafting a bunch of OLinemen this might make sense.  But it feels like the Jets have both the near-term and medium-term plan at OG somewhat set.   Winters, Lewis, Van Roten, Connor McGovern, Cam Clark, etc. can all play OG.  I think the Jets would rather let Winters play one more year rather than signing Warford for a multi-year deal averaging $7M.

A multi-year deal at $7M annually doesn't seem like a Joe D kind of move right now.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Instant upgrade to a perennial pro bowler who hasn't turned thirty and is reasonably priced?  Why isn't this done already?  I actually really like Winters' toughness and willingness to play through pain.  He's got some "dawg" in him.  But his shoulders are like rusted hinges ready to pop at any minute.  Not his fault.  But keeping him over Warford would simply be bad business.

It ain't done yet cause he's got several suitors. He'd be an up graded on a LOT of teams. Just taking his time for the best fit as in ring fit.

41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Can you explain to me why it matters how fast an offensive lineman can run 40 yards in a straight line?

29 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

My first point is that speed and explosion are speed and explosion.  Players don't vertical or broad jump much, but it still correlates to success.  Second, my understanding is that the 10 yard split correlates pretty well to NFL success for linemen.  The 40 and 10 generally match up fairly well, so you can just generally look at the more widely reported number.  Now the 10' split is being posted much more often. 

49 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Very good point.

48 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If it was March and prior to the Jets signing and drafting a bunch of OLinemen this might make sense.  But it feels like the Jets have both the near-term and medium-term plan at OG somewhat set.   Winters, Lewis, Van Roten, Connor McGovern, Cam Clark, etc. can all play OG.  I think the Jets would rather let Winters play one more year rather than signing Warford for a multi-year deal averaging $7M.

A multi-year deal at $7M annually doesn't seem like a Joe D kind of move right now.

It makes more sense to me to release Winters and save his $7M for this year.  Then, we can use that money to assist in signing Jamal Adams to a long term deal.  I feel that we have players on our squad right now who should be able to compete for the starting right guard.  In fact, we have too many players.  I just hope we got the right players.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

1. Can we afford it.  If yes, go to line 2 -----\/

2. Is he materially better than the player we have.  If yes, go to line 3 ------\/

3. Do we need that money for someone else, like a #1 WR.  If no, go to line 4 --------\/

4. Sign that beast for short money.

Makes perfect sense.....and if it were a one-year deal then maybe Joe makes that short-term upgrade.  I'm just not sure that a.) Warford is a scheme fit (he might be) or b.) the Jets want a longterm commitment.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

10 yard split: 1.92s (8th percentile At his position)

20yrd shuttle: 5.1s (6th percentile)

3-cone: 7.78s (57th percentile)

Honest question, which drill do you think is the best indicator for our scheme? Also Aren’t guards pulling more of a man concept as opposed to zone?

Not specific to you, but It would be nice to see a breakdown of the different running schemes. I was under the impression that we are running an outside zone which tries to stretch teams laterally and allows running back to cut through when they see an opening. The OL then need to move up to the second level. I’m a novice when it comes to watching the big fellas though. If so, seems like lateral agility is the most important movement. My guess is that the short shuttle would be the best indicator. 

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Makes perfect sense.....and if it were a one-year deal then maybe Joe makes that short-term upgrade.  I'm just not sure that a.) Warford is a scheme fit (he might be) or b.) the Jets want a longterm commitment.

It really sucks how often the word "scheme fit" has come up since Gase got hired.  Seems to be a real issue with him in the way it isn;t for alot of other NFL Coaches...

• Thumb Down 1

Too many mental orgasms going on here. How could you question the rationale of bringing in a 3 times pro-bowler (last 3 seasons by the way) arguing about his athleticism or that last year he was not good in pass protection? ... the guy was ranked the 14th Guard in the NFL last year and the alternative is to keep Winters (38th) at a higher cost... this is an immediate upgrade and the only reason you don’t do it is because the guy does not want to play for the Jets or there are questions about his attitude or health (which I did not read about).

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If you want a guard who can trap and pull, he needs to be able to run.   If you want a guy who just mauls straight ahead, it doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is an undervalued point. It's known that Gase can not adapt to players and needs specific players for his scheme. So every guy out there may not be an option.

So Gase should change his entire scheme and blocking scheme to fit a slow guard that just got cut? This argument is foolish.

smart teams would add the right fitting player for half the price with better results 

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

If you want a guard who can trap and pull, he needs to be able to run.   If you want a guy who just mauls straight ahead, it doesn't matter.

Not everyone understands blocking schemes... ??‍♂️

but sure just sign the slow fat guy to the team trying to gain speed on the line 

So, I have been reading some of the articles written by the folks to cover the Saints. It appears that they weren't thrilled with his performance last year and didn't think he was worth the money. I also always think is somewhat of a red flag when a smart organization cuts a a good offensive lineman. 

Having said that, he is definitely better than Winters and I want him, lol