Curtis Martin & Chad Pennington are the two greatest Jets of all time. You can't convince me otherwise.

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

Honestly, was Pennington really better than Ken O' Brien?  For all his playing on some mediocre teams, O'Brien's peak was better than Penningtons and he has the accolades to prove it.  As far as I can tell, O'Brien's worst problem was holding onto the ball too long so Toon got plastered.

chaddy never had a toon to throw to either.  there's no way chaddy could ever match obrien for throwing ability.  obrien was amazing but chaddy was way more of a leader and knew how to play the game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, rangerous said:

chaddy never had a toon to throw to either.  there's no way chaddy could ever match obrien for throwing ability.  obrien was amazing but chaddy was way more of a leader and knew how to play the game.

"Chaddy?"

Do guys named Chad go by "Chaddy?"

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

"Chaddy?"

Do guys named Chad go by "Chaddy?"

As a former frat-boy, who actually knew a few chads, i can think of much worse.

"The chadster",

"chad-meister",

"chaddington",

"C-penn",

"Robo-chad",

"Chadillac",

"chad the dadd",

and so on. Brainstorming this kind of sh*t was actually one of our 'bonding' activities (don't ask me anything more about this).

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

As a former frat-boy, who actually knew a few chads, i can think of much worse.

"The chadster",

"chad-meister",

"chaddington",

"C-penn",

"Robo-chad",

"Chadillac",

"chad the dadd",

and so on. Brainstorming this kind of sh*t was actually one of our 'bonding' activities (don't ask me anything more about this).

"an egg back there"

• Haha 2

Pennington was good. Too bad in their prime I'd still pick, Namath, O'Brien, Testaverde, and Darnold over him.

That should tell you how good he really was. He was smart and took very little chances. Almost like the league's greates ever game manager. But I did love the run he took us on in 2002. Agree on Martin though. Martin then McNeil 1 and 2.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't everyone realize how privileged we all are to be here discussing this right now?  I'm just not sure if it's the privilege of being a Jets fan or the privilege of having this fantastic forum to discuss said other privilege.  I'll vote for the latter privilege.  Sorry Chad.  Time to visit Miami.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I thought Pennington was a better player than Martin before his shoulder got rebuilt 1000 times. Martin was just Frank Gore level durable till he met Herm Edwards. At least he got to enjoy the BBQ

More like till he got his old college HC Paul Hackett as OC. In Martins first 6 years he was under 4ypc in 3 of them once Hackett became OC he was never under 4 ypc.. To me Cumar costing a 1st and 3rd pick to NE and a big contract his 7 td's a year avg and 4ypc just wasn't worth it IMO..:beer:

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

Chad Pennington = Best QB ever, injuries robbed him of multiple Super Bowl victories.

I am torn on locking this now, because honestly, this isn't even up for debate. Just facts on these two players.

I guess you can all discuss this if you want to. 

They're both right up there at the top of very near the top in regards to the best players the Jets organization have ever had. However, honestly it says more about the Jets horrible inability to draft than it does about how great they are. First of all, Curtis Martin wasn't even drafted by the Jets. The Jets merely signed him through free agency. The Jets, along with every other team in the history of the NFL can always pick out the best players in Free Agency. It's really not a tough task. Penny was drafted based on the wisdom of Bill Parcells, one of the very few good executives the Jets have ever had. So not necessarily diminishing what they accomplished on the field but even so the accolades aren't so great. They didn't win a championship, they broke very few records, and they really didn't make the playoffs all that often.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

Chad Pennington = Best QB ever, injuries robbed him of multiple Super Bowl victories.

I am torn on locking this now, because honestly, this isn't even up for debate. Just facts on these two players.

You can argue Martin though McNeil and Boozer might have an argument about that.  Personally Id give McNeil the nod, though Martin had some great seasons for us.

But Pennington?  Seriously?

Namath won us a Super Bowl and changed the position.

Testeverde took us to the AFC championship game and had one of the best seasons a Jet QB has had

Sanchez took us to 2 AFC championship games

Richard Todd had a nice career here.

And of course Farve had a nice season here.

I liked Pennington but he was limited even before his shoulder injuries.  The Raiders exploited that when he took us to the playoffs and made him beat them deep.   He couldn't.

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

They're both right up there at the top of very near the top in regards to the best players the Jets organization have ever had. However, honestly it says more about the Jets horrible inability to draft than it does about how great they are. First of all, Curtis Martin wasn't even drafted by the Jets. The Jets merely signed him through free agency. The Jets, along with every other team in the history of the NFL can always pick out the best players in Free Agency. It's really not a tough task. Penny was drafted based on the wisdom of Bill Parcells, one of the very few good executives the Jets have ever had. So not necessarily diminishing what they accomplished on the field but even so the accolades aren't so great. They didn't win a championship, they broke very few records, and they really didn't make the playoffs all that often.

He was restricted not a total free agent and him and the Tuna devised a poison pill contract that let him void it after 1 year. No team could match that and the NFL made it illegal after that.. We wouldn't have had to pay a 1st and a 3rd pick if he was a FA..

4 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Honestly namath is the greatest jet ever, but the fact that this even a topic of discussion is indicative of how pitiful jets football has been for decades...

This has got me thinking.

How many other franchises would discuss a player like Pennington or Martin as their greatest ever?

Steelers: Bradshaw, Ward

Okay, what incredible drugs are you on that you put Hines Ward as one of the two greatest Steelers ever?  I'm not even convinced you can realistically put Bradshaw there.

Joe Greene.  Full Stop.  No debate allowed.  Then probably Lambert and Blount but you can quibble there.  Then you can start talking about everyone else, and I'm not sure I didn't just insult Rod Woodson and Franco Harris among several others.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

If you dont lock it I''ll send in SWAT to do it.

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Loved Pennington, but durability is a critical requirement for being a franchise QB. It sucks but it is what it is. If you had asked me in January of 2003, I definitely would have told you he was going to be our GOAT QB. 

Pennington SUCKED. Thats why Parcells immediately wanted to trade him for Plaxico.  Penningto: The master of the 5 yard pass. 

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Martin was actually much better than I remember when I went back and rewatched a lot of our 2004 season. His quickness through the hole was legit but had no gear after that. He was more elusive and physical than given credit for. Broke a lot of arm tackles but it was often his change of direction causing the arm tackles. 

He was quick, not fast.  I really liked him, he could get through a hole, and get first downs, help control the game.  

He could not really break long runs and give you that quick score ability.

• Upvote 1