So, there seems to be only 4 realistic starting OL combos now

Starting Offensive Line  

82 members have voted

1. 1. The most likely combo for the Jets' starting offensive line in Game 1 of the 2020 season is......

• OPTION 1
    • OPTION 2
    • OPTION 3
    • OPTION 4
    • Some other option
  2. 2. The Jets best backup offensive lineman in 2020 will be.......

• Jonotthan Harrison 6"4" 300 Florida (C/G)
    • Cameron Clark 6'3" 308 Richmond (G/T)
    • Chuma Edoga 6'3" 308 USC (T)
    • Conor McDermott 6'8" 305 UCLA (G/T)
    • Someone Else

With Winters gone, there are now only 4 realistic starting offensive line combos (barring injury, illness, or some other bad outcome)

OPTION 1

LT - Becton
LG - Lewis
C - McGovern
RG - Van Roten
RT - Fant

OPTION 2

LT - Becton
LG - Van Roten
C - McGovern
RG - Lewis
RT - Fant

OPTION 3

LT - Fant
LG - Lewis
C - McGovern
RG - Van Roten
RT - Becton

OPTION 4

LT - Fant
LG - Van Roten
C - McGovern
RG - Lewis
RT - Becton

• Upvote 1

My guess for the season opener was that the more experienced guys would work the left side-Fant and Van Roten, and the more brawler types would be the right side-Lewis and Becton.

Rookies starting at LT and doing well is pretty rare in the NFL, and Becton’s pass block grades in college were not that great.  I do believe he is the starting LT next year, but not this year.  

But my view was the minority.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Has Van Roten ever played RT?

All the film I've seen has him a LT with Carolina.

Van Roten has never played RT or even RG where he's projected to replace Winters

Alex Lewis does have RT experience with Baltimore fwiw

Van Roten is a natural left guard/center which would make RG perhaps a McDermott/Clark whoever wants it type of free for all 

Fant at RT everyone assumes is a done deal but the dude is not really a RT 

• Upvote 1

I'd love to see option 1, but I think we might well see option 3 to start the season at least.

The lack of pre-season games will make coaches nervous about throwing rookies in, largely untested, in critical positions.

And they don't come much more critical than LT for your franchise QB.

I suspect Fant may get the call at LT initially, with Becton at RT, until the coaches see what Mekhi can do against real NFL pass-rushers.

Lewis probably stays at LG, and Van Roten makes the switch to RG - although he's probably a better fit at LG.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Van Roten has never played RT or even RG where he's projected to replace Winters

Van Roten is a natural left guard/center which would make RG perhaps a McDermott/Clark whoever wants it type of free for all 

I know you're a OL evaluator, and I'd like to know which Jets offensive line group you feel would be the most cohesive to start the season?

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Someone has to play RG

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

With Winters gone, there are now only 4 realistic starting offensive line combos (barring injury, illness, or some other bad outcome)

OPTION 1

LT - Becton
LG - Lewis
C - McGovern
RG - Van Roten
RT - Fant

OPTION 2

LT - Becton
LG - Van Roten
C - McGovern
RG - Lewis
RT - Fant

OPTION 3

LT - Fant
LG - Lewis
C - McGovern
RG - Van Roten
RT - Becton

OPTION 4

LT - Fant
LG - Van Roten
C - McGovern
RG - Lewis
RT - Becton

Clark is from Charlotte not Richmond.

Doesn't matter.

This guy here, that guy there, whatever.

They can't be worse than what we fielded last year.

They should, in any layout, be a generally average to slightly-below-average O-line.

Who where, not really worries about that, the team will figure it out.  I think most of these guys are semi-flexible as to specific position.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I voted for Edoga as best back up. Just a wild guess, of course, but he did start some at both RT and LT last year. If he's worked hard this offseason, he could be a quality backup.

Edoga is interesting.  Sure he kind of sucked last year, but he didn't look any worse than Shell did as a rookie and people were ready to give that guy a decade as a starter.  Shell made less mistakes as a rookie, but he played limited snaps at RT and was consistently covered by a TE.  Edoga looked bad at times, but they left him alone at LT.  I think Gase/Loggains was much less risk averse on O than Bowles multitude of OCs.  PFF did like Shell way more, FWIW, and as a 3rd from USC not (University of South Carolina) he should have been more ready as a rookie.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:08 PM, Beerfish said:

Fant anywhere on  the oline for me:

giphy.gif

I actually like Fant.  I thought he was a nice pick-up as desperation LT, even if they did give him a bunch of money.  I think he was better than people (like you) rated him in Seattle and was willing to give Douglas the benefit of the doubt on that one.  I was totally on board with picking WR in the first and then revamping our the right side with Wilson and Lewis later in the draft.  Good thing they didn't, cause Wilson went at 29 and we'd have been stuck.  I could be totally wrong about Fant, but that was my general feeling.  I don't think he is such a hot fit as a prospect for RT.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Alex, what are things people said in August 2019? 

Sorry for not being hysterical as to which guy plays where.  I'll try harder next time.

For some Jets Fans it won't matter anyway, no matter the configuration......they'll "suck". 

That way those fans can still fanboi Sam Darnold if his production is below expectations.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think they will start Becton at RT then transition him to LT next year if he does well.

Me too. I think quite honestly there is close to 0% chance Becton starts at LT this year. Strong side is the place for him to be getting help as needed

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I actually like Fant.  I thought he was a nice pick-up as desperation LT, even if they did give him a bunch of money.  I think he was better than people (like you) rated him in Seattle and was willing to give Douglas the benefit of the doubt on that one.  I was totally on board with picking WR in the first and then revamping our the right side with Wilson and Lewis later in the draft.  Good think they didn't, cause Wilson went at 29 and we'd have been stuck.  I could be totally wrong about Fant, but that was my general feeling.  I don't think he is such a hot fit as a prospect for RT.

People seem to forget that we did not "settle" for Fant. Pauline reported that we were targeting him all the way back at the combine. And that we are intending to use wider splits which Fant is well suited for. Would be shocked if he does not start at LT. I am not convinced that Becton will be a LT long term. I was not a fan of the pick and I could see him as a HOF type of guard. That said I am super impressed with how in shape he is. His ceiling as a LT is limitless but he is still a WIP in pass blocking.