Mike Greenberg advises Lawrence to stay at Clemson if Jets pick 1

Rhg1084

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Incorrect. The "Eli Manning thing" was Archie Manning recognizing that the Chargers were a sh*t show back then and not wanting his son to play for them. 

Not entirely true.  A BIG part of the hissy fit was about wanting to benefit from a career in NY.  

NYC > Cali's 3rd largest market.  

34 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I disagree that there are any guarantees Lawrence is coming out. His values are not like other players. He most certainly would stay at Clemson another year to experience a chance at another championship in a full and normal season. I don't think he would stay just to avoid the Jets because most certainly he believes that wherever he ends up, it will be for a reason and it's not his place to question the reason.

Speaking with Tom Rinaldi on ESPN's "College GameDay," Lawrence said that he wanted to play in 2020 instead of opting out due to COVID-19 concerns because "I just love football. Lawrence then added that he would be "graduating in December. (I'm) planning on this being my last year."

What are his values ? Cause he seems to have things planned out already.

• Post of the Week 2

15 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Speaking with Tom Rinaldi on ESPN's "College GameDay," Lawrence said that he wanted to play in 2020 instead of opting out due to COVID-19 concerns because "I just love football. Lawrence then added that he would be "graduating in December. (I'm) planning on this being my last year."

What are his values ? Cause he seems to have things planned out already.

I was not aware that he was graduating. His values are that money and fame are less important than relationships and personal accomplishments. Since he is graduating and said he is planning on it being his last year, I'd say it is exactly what he plans to do at the moment, and that he will play for whatever team drafts him. There will be no Elway/Manning shenanigans to manipulate where he plays. 

But, I would note that he said "planning". If he wins the National Championship. Might he stay at Clemson to try to win a Third National Championship? Has any college starting QB ever won three National Championships?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I disagree that there are any guarantees Lawrence is coming out. His values are not like other players. He most certainly would stay at Clemson another year to experience a chance at another championship in a full and normal season. I don't think he would stay just to avoid the Jets because most certainly he believes that wherever he ends up, it will be for a reason and it's not his place to question the reason.

If he continues to be the bonafide number 1 pick, I would shocked if he went back. He’s won his title already. The risk reward just isn’t there.

Who knows, maybe he brings Dabo with him.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Not entirely true.  A BIG part of the hissy fit was about wanting to benefit from a career in NY.  

NYC > Cali's 3rd largest market.  

Again, I just think the small market vs. big market thing is grossly overrated in modern times. 

If you are a star QB in the NFL, it doesn't really matter where you play.

13 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

If he continues to be the bonafide number 1 pick, I would shocked if he went back. He’s won his title already. The risk reward just isn’t there.

Who knows, maybe he brings Dabo with him.

This kid? You think this kid places a high degree of importance on being the #1 pick?

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Again, I just think the small market vs. big market thing is grossly overrated in modern times. 

If you are a star QB in the NFL, it doesn't really matter where you play.

It mattered way more back then.  Especially in S California where fans neither show up nor stay throughout the game.  

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

They seem to forget Archie wanted both his kids going #1 and too New York because of the big market. Parcells messed up the plan for Peyton .

Different circumstances

Wellington Mara was one of the most well respected owners in the nfl for decades.  Woody and Chrissy are an utter joke

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Look if we get the #1 pick. These are all true statements:

1. We will have a new coaching staff by the draft that is offensive minded and good at developing QBs

They have a new coaching staff every few years and suck. 

2. Trevor will make more in the NY market than anywhere other than Dallas

That’s not even remotely true. It’s not 1960. There are a bunch of huge markets and winning helps make money. The Jets can’t win sh*t.  

3. The Jets have another first after Trevor and then 2 the following year to get him more weapons and protection

That’s the first thing that’s is good. 

4. There is no guarantee he stays healthy if he goes back to college

Obviously, there’s zero chance he goes back to college but that doesn’t mean he will play for the Jets. He can force a trade. 

He will come out and play for the Jets. The Eli Manning thing was about money pure and simple.

Eli wanted to play for the Giants not the Jets. The Giants actually win Super Bowls. 

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

He's not wrong. 

But just remember this - there is always hope. I lived in California for years and got to know some Golden State Warriors fans. That franchise was in the wilderness for a very long time before Curry and Co. came along. 

Things can change, even if it feels impossible right now. 

The difference is they got out of the wilderness when ownership changed and the new owners brought in respected basketball people like Jerry West. Do you foresee an ownership change on the horizon for the Jets?

Look if we get the #1 pick. These are all true statements:

1. We will have a new coaching staff by the draft that is offensive minded and good at developing QBs

2. Trevor will make more in the NY market than anywhere other than Dallas

3. The Jets have another first after Trevor and then 2 the following year to get him more weapons and protection

4. There is no guarantee he stays healthy if he goes back to college

He will come out and play for the Jets. The Eli Manning thing was about money pure and simple.

1) TRUE. And possibly even sooner if the Jets continue their horrid play.

2) What makes you think Trevor would make more in NY than anywhere else? Nonsense. If the Jets get Trevor, it won't be for any other reason than that's what they decided to do.

3) That extra could easily be used to give Sammy more weapons. To say Sammy is done is absurd.

4) Who cares what Trevor does? Let's worry about the Jets.

23 minutes ago, BunkoBenny said:

The difference is they got out of the wilderness when ownership changed and the new owners brought in respected basketball people like Jerry West. Do you foresee an ownership change on the horizon for the Jets?

No, but Joe Douglas turning out to be a competent GM would go a long way 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

What? Peyton stayed in school so he didn’t have to play for the Jets. 

P Manning stayed in school because Parcells wouldn't commit to taking him with the #1 pick.  Get your facts straight.  And what Greenburg did is absurd. I lost all respect for him.  He is no better than Beningo.  These media guys who are Jets fans just like to play into the narrative that the Jets are dysfunctional.  Douglas appears to be the real thing and deserves a few drafts.  

Change the coach and bring in some talent and this turns around in a hurry.  Don't forget, the Jets went from  1-15 to 9-7 in one year under Parcells.  Coaching is everything in the NFL.

The Jets need to bring in a big name coach.  I would throw the bank at Harbaugh.  He's a proven NFL winner.  Most college coaches don't make it in the NFL.  Not interested in Sweney.  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

P Manning stayed in school because Parcells wouldn't commit to taking him with the #1 pick.  Get your facts straight.  And what Greenburg did is absurd. I lost all respect for him.  He is no better than Beningo.  These media guys who are Jets fans just like to play into the narrative that the Jets are dysfunctional.  Douglas appears to be the real thing and deserves a few drafts.  

Change the coach and bring in some talent and this turns around in a hurry.  Don't forget, the Jets went from  1-15 to 9-7 in one year under Parcells.  Coaching is everything in the NFL.

The Jets need to bring in a big name coach.  I would throw the bank at Harbaugh.  He's a proven NFL winner.  Most college coaches don't make it in the NFL.  Not interested in Sweney.  

Fact. The Jets suck and are one of the most embarrassing franchise in all of sports. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

The best thing that can happen to that kid, which I wish would've happened to Darnold is to sit a season or 2 behind a respectable veteran, like Aaron Rodgers did.

This is the new league no big prospect is sitting for 2 years. They may sit for few games during there rookie year. But Everyone is trying to win during there rookie contracts. Now a days its either you can play or you cant. 

took arizona 1 year to determine Rosen wasnt the goods . 1 year later they got the ROY at QB.

Joe Douglas is a football guy with a lot of connections. This isn't a redux of that dolt Maccagnan. Football people aren't stupid, you don't think anyone without a brain the size of a pea doesn't see what's happening here with the injuries & a player as good as CJ Mosely opting out? 

For 2 years running the concensus has been the Jets drafts have been the worst 10 year stretch maybe ever. The rebuild truly started this year with Mekhi Becton who is definitely a stud LT that will only get better. The punter is good too, don't laugh but right there he's already ahead of the previous regimes success rate in the draft. Perine looks fine if the idiot would use him, but obviously injuries again on the Oline have derailed any continuity.

We haven't seen Mims, Zuniga, Clark. That's not the GMs fault. Some of these young guys playing now will be great depth soon, we live in a world of instant gratification now. If, and that's a big IF, the NY Jets have the #1 pick in the draft, plus a plethora of picks in 21/22, Douglas will find a coach that meshes with his philosophy. Gase stares at his play card, taking notes, he looks like he has literally zero communication with this team. Dead man walking. 

Mike Greenberg is a fan.  Most announcers couldn't care less since the Jets have not been relevant in a decade.  If the Jets have the first pick and use it on Trevor Lawrence, odds are very strong that he will don the green and white.  What choice does he have.  Staying in school is not a reasonable option for obvious economic reasons.  What I like about Greenberg's rant is that it goes to the very top of the organization, the Johnsons, particularly Christopher.  In my opinion, he is the worst thing that ever happened to the Jets in their history.  He needs to be replaced.

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This, and then hire Swinney to replace Gase after the season lol. Prying him loose will take blackmailing him with pretty explicit pictures with a few different frosh girls (or guys) doing jello shots out of each other's rectums. And also building him a chapel in Florham Park, prolly.

Success might hinge on the color of the Jello, but sure why not?

I hate to be that guy but shouldn't it actually be recta?

Perils of a formal education growing up in England. We were required to take at least two years of Latin in the state school I attended

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He won't go back.  That would be insane to leave, at a minimum, $30mm on the table.  But he can essentially force to Jets to trade the pick.

..kinda Like what elway did to the colts    :eusa_shifty:  

• Upvote 1