Joe Benigno is officially retiring from WFAN

By Andrew Marchand

October 27, 2020 | 7:51pm

Joe Benigno
Joe Benigno Getty Images

The dream run from caller to drive-time host will come to an end for Joe Benigno on Wednesday when he officially announces his retirement, paving the way for Craig Carton’s return to WFAN to team with Evan Roberts.

FAN previewed that there will be an announcement during the 5 p.m. hour of Wednesday afternoon’s program. Sources told The Post that the news will be Benigno calling it a career.

In recent years, Benigno, 67, has talked repeatedly about putting down his headphones and moving to Florida.

During his best performances, Benigno’s passion, that began as a caller, “Joe from Saddle River,” has always been his calling card. For years, on overnights, his opening rants on a Jets or Mets loss were classic.

He and Roberts had a lot of success in middays, though, their short run in afternoons was not a strong one in part due to the pandemic and because of the popularity of “The Michael Kay Show.”

To combat that, WFAN is bringing back Carton to team with Roberts. Carton was last on the FAN three years ago. He served a year in a federal prison after misallocating loans to pay off gambling debts.

Carton is expected to join the station soon, as Benigno’s exit will become official on Wednesday.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/27/joe-benigno-is-retiring-from-wfan-amid-craig-carton-return/

4 minutes ago, Bless you....Thank you said:

actually have a wfan t shirt he signed for me at a promo at Umbertoooooos Clam House

Sad...

For you and that useless, whiny vagina whose opinions I can hear echoed by every fan on this very board during every given gameday thread.

The wicked, salty bitch witch is finally dead.

Praise be to him

Hallelujah 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

Radio was good about a decade ago maybe more, it was nice to hear Benigno even talk about the Jets.

I remember being in the work truck flipping through the station's back and forth and there was some good talk radio back then.

He's a salty old man now and he barely even knows who's on the team or how they got there.

That being said, I listened to him for quite a few years and he put in his time so good luck Joe.. enjoy your golfing and your wife Terry!

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Knowing Joe he absolutely will be calling into various WFAN shows and often to scream about the jets

I don’t think he will but I guess we’ll see.  He promised he’d call Evan if the Jets ever win a Super Bowl (Prob Mets and Knicks as well. Not sure about the Rangers). Other than that though, I don’t think we’ll hear from him again after today. 

• Upvote 2