how long should trevor be given?

kmnj

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

No one has been a bigger Darnold fan than me over the better part of the last 5 years.

I wanted the Jets to draft him a year and a half before he even declared. I wanted nothing to do with guys like Watson and Mahomes because I was dead set on Darnold in green and white.

But he’s finished here.

Maybe he resurrects his career elsewhere. Maybe not. Don’t really care at this point. The kid is set for life either way.

You draft Lawrence/Fields if you’re in position to do so and use every scrap of cap space and draft picks to put him in the best possible situation to succeed. We actually have the resources to do it the proper way this time if Douglas plays his cards right.

I like Darnold.

But I'm curious how you came to this conclusion?

You've got to build from the coaches to the players. Easier said than done. It won’t happen quickly. This isn't a situation like when Mahomes became KC's starter. 

Remember. Mahomes was drafted by a team that already had Hill, Hunt, Kelce, and a good O-line. They were in the postseason three out of four years prior to his arrival. Reid was their coach. I think Mahomes is as great as anyone. Do I still think he would be a great QB without all these weapons and coach? Yes. Do I think he would be this great? No. In fact, no QB can prop up a team with little to no talent.

You absolutely draft Lawrence and trade Darnold. The question is what will we get for Darnold?

Trevor Lawrence has 3Xs more real QB playing experience than Sam Darnold did. The learning curve for TL should be way shorter than Sam Darnold. 

3 years in & the last 5 weeks we've seen the classic Sammy hold onto the ball too long & get sacked & hurt and miss 2 games, 1st game back we see the classic Sam pick while in FG range thrown into TRIPLE COVERAGE! The last game vs KC while down just 14-9 we saw the good clean pocket, Smith open by 2 yards, Sam overthrows him by 2 yards. 

This is YEAR 3! Also because Joe Douglas seems to have hit on a WR who can actually play football in Mims, Crowder back in 2021, probably the addition of a Veteran WR, and a Guard, plus 9 draft picks to maybe get a stud Center like Creed Humphrey, Trevor Lawrence will have the good fortune of having Joe Douglas in his 2nd draft with a lot of picks + a lot of cap money continue to add offensive pcs. Unlike Macc, who pretty much missed on every draft pick, spent free agent dollars on TJ & Bell. 

Its not out of the question that Trevor Lawrence could be QBing behind an Oline with Becton- Thuney/Scherff- Humphrey- McGovern or Clark- Fant

Allen Robinson- Crowder-Mims with Etienne or Harris & Perine. 

19 hours ago, kmnj said:

so lets assume we get the number one and draft trevor our next new "franchise qb"

what is a reasonable amount of time to wait until he shows he is a legit number one franchise qb?

now clearly we dont know who his coach will be or what the roster will look like so lots of this is pure speculation

Folks say Joe has a 6  year plan and we need to be patient for a full rebuild.

People wrote off sam by year 3 with garbage as a coach and garbage as a roster in a tank year. 

Are  you willing to  give Trevor a 4-6 year window(that is what  it will take)  or are you going to bail after 2-3 years like folks are doing with sam?

My fear is we will ruin another qb or put him in a position to fail

He will have plenty of time.

The third preseason game next year should suffice.

19 hours ago, kmnj said:

so lets assume we get the number one and draft trevor our next new "franchise qb"

what is a reasonable amount of time to wait until he shows he is a legit number one franchise qb?

now clearly we dont know who his coach will be or what the roster will look like so lots of this is pure speculation

People wrote off sam by year 3 with garbage as a coach and garbage as a roster in a tank year. 

Are  you willing to  give Trevor a 4-6 year window(that is what  it will take)  or are you going to bail after 2-3 years like folks are doing with sam?

You know these really good prospects don’t need much time.  He’s going to be thrown in from game 1 and he will play well. That’s what being a generational talent means. I will say that hopefully the jets oline will also play better. It won’t take long to see if Lawrence is the guy.

19 hours ago, kmnj said:

It just seems folks gave up on sam way too early to me. 

I would trade the pick and load up on talent with the draft and fa

I think TL will need 3-5 years with the roster we have and folks want sam out after 2-3 with a bad coach and a bad roster

mahomes would fail under the current situation

Absolutely agree.  The fact that he's younger than the #1 overall pick this year (3 years into his career) also adds to that

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

You know these really good prospects don’t need much time.  He’s going to be thrown in from game 1 and he will play well. That’s what being a generational talent means. I will say that hopefully the jets oline will also play better. It won’t take long to see if Lawrence is the guy.

Oh like KC and Mahomes?

23 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Trevor Lawrence has 3Xs more real QB playing experience than Sam Darnold did. The learning curve for TL should be way shorter than Sam Darnold. 

3 years in & the last 5 weeks we've seen the classic Sammy hold onto the ball too long & get sacked & hurt and miss 2 games, 1st game back we see the classic Sam pick while in FG range thrown into TRIPLE COVERAGE! The last game vs KC while down just 14-9 we saw the good clean pocket, Smith open by 2 yards, Sam overthrows him by 2 yards. 

This is YEAR 3! Also because Joe Douglas seems to have hit on a WR who can actually play football in Mims, Crowder back in 2021, probably the addition of a Veteran WR, and a Guard, plus 9 draft picks to maybe get a stud Center like Creed Humphrey, Trevor Lawrence will have the good fortune of having Joe Douglas in his 2nd draft with a lot of picks + a lot of cap money continue to add offensive pcs. Unlike Macc, who pretty much missed on every draft pick, spent free agent dollars on TJ & Bell. 

Its not out of the question that Trevor Lawrence could be QBing behind an Oline with Becton- Thuney/Scherff- Humphrey- McGovern or Clark- Fant

Allen Robinson- Crowder-Mims with Etienne or Harris & Perine. 

The oline development is key.  It doesn’t matter who the jets have at QB if he gets clobbered or doesn’t have time to throw. They need at least one more good oline player and get some play or depth from Clark.  Then they can go after some skill players.   Shouldn’t be too hard given the cap space and number of good draft picks.

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

Oh like KC and Mahomes?

I don’t know what the contract was for Alex smith.  That could’ve played into the decision to sit Mahomes.  Who knows if this was the right decision by Reid.  It worked out , didn’t it?  And don’t forget smith was playing pretty well. Why would Reid upset what’s working to play a rookie?

19 hours ago, JTJet said:

I love our team dearly but I almost cant wait until the moment this board realizes we DONT get Trevor. 

The salt that will flow on here will be ******* epic and I kind of want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I mean, you may be right. But how can you possibly be so sure. Jets have the worst record and are currently shoe-ins to get the #1 overall pick. I don't see them winning another game unless NE completely lays down in week 17. Assuming they get the #1 pick, TL is a no-brainer. This isn't deciding between Q or Josh Allen or Ed Oliver at pick #3. TL will NOT come back to Clemson after getting COVID playing another year in college. I think that wiped out any consideration of him staying in school if he had one. 

19 hours ago, kmnj said:

what the hell is a 6 year plan in todays NFL ? And how are you putting timetables on a QB we don't even have yet ?

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t know what the contract was for Alex smith.  That could’ve played into the decision to sit Mahomes.  Who knows if this was the right decision by Reid.  It worked out , didn’t it?  And don’t forget smith was playing pretty well. Why would Reid upset what’s working to play a rookie?

It worked out by letting the kid sit and learn.  KC had a decent vet QB so they could do that.

The Jets, however, will rush which ever newly ordained fresh meat out there and we'll end up with a sack of meat just like Darnold.

cuz, Jets. 

14 hours ago, Jets86 said:

You've got to build from the coaches to the players. Easier said than done. It won’t happen quickly. This isn't a situation like when Mahomes became KC's starter. 

Remember. Mahomes was drafted by a team that already had Hill, Hunt, Kelce, and a good O-line. They were in the postseason three out of four years prior to his arrival. Reid was their coach. I think Mahomes is as great as anyone. Do I still think he would be a great QB without all these weapons and coach? Yes. Do I think he would be this great? No. In fact, no QB can prop up a team with little to no talent.

You absolutely draft Lawrence and trade Darnold. The question is what will we get for Darnold?

No doubt, but in fairness the Jets - under a proper GM - would have had more than enough ammo to adequately surround Mahomes after drafting him.

Starting with not immediately taking a safety at #39 overall, nor Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, and Jordan Leggett as his prospective wepponz.

Then a year later the Jets still have a 1st and 2 2nds. And any number of them could be used to help him out, instead of the Maccgnan plan of landing one's dream QB and then making Nathan Shepherd the first player taken after him. Also the team wouldn't be "trapped" into taking a DT as its 1st round pick in Mahomes yr 3, since it's unlikely they'd have still been sitting with the 3rd overall pick.

But that's only in the '18 draft. Before that was '18 FA where there was availability for WRs Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson; for C/G there was Ryan Jensen, Weston Richburg, and Mike Pouncey. In the draft there were solid (and better than solid) OLmen taken in round 1. Baltimore found Orlando Brown & Mark Andrews with their next 2 3rd round picks after drafting Jackson. Both there for our two 2nd rounders and/or the 3rd rounder MM used on Shepherd, not to mention WRs others drafted outside the top 5 overall like Moore, Ridley, Sutton, Kirk, Miller, Chark, & Gallup. Oh yeah, and it turns out they already had a pretty good WR on the roster in "#3 WR at best" Anderson. Enunwa was always injury-prone, but butterfly effect & such means he probably doesn't injure his neck in camp on the same play. Maybe it would've been something else, but maybe not. Either way he wasn't yet in line for that stupid extension.

Then there's 2019's FA and draft periods beyond that. But this is already more than enough opportunity to overcome all complaints about a ruinous situation for any drafted QB.  

It certainly doesn't hurt, but I'm not big on the idea that the KC Chiefs was the most perfect offense assembled and that's why Mahomes is so good. Reid took shots on other QB prospects before Mahomes; the reason Aaron Murray or Kevin Hogan weren't successful is they sucked, not because of a sucky situation. Think of the expression about the inability of making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. 

There was all the opportunity needed to adequately surround Mahomes after drafting Mahomes, even after Maccagnan had screwed up long-term decisions plenty in his first 2 seasons here.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

I mean, you may be right. But how can you possibly be so sure. Jets have the worst record and are currently shoe-ins to get the #1 overall pick. I don't see them winning another game unless NE completely lays down in week 17. Assuming they get the #1 pick, TL is a no-brainer. This isn't deciding between Q or Josh Allen or Ed Oliver at pick #3. TL will NOT come back to Clemson after getting COVID playing another year in college. I think that wiped out any consideration of him staying in school if he had one. 

I get that we mathematically will probably land him.

I'm kinda talking about the karmic hammer that's going to drop on everyone who basically assumes we have him in the bag. 

4 hours ago, peebag said:

Oh like KC and Mahomes?

How do we know Mahomes wouldn't have lit it up right away if he'd been the Week 1 starter?  The Chiefs had the luxury of rolling with a capable starting QB for a year before putting Mahomes in.  But it doesn't mean that him sitting out a year had any impact on how well he played as a starter.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How do we know Mahomes wouldn't have lit it up right away if he'd been the Week 1 starter?  The Chiefs had the luxury of rolling with a capable starting QB for a year before putting Mahomes in.  But it doesn't mean that him sitting out a year had any impact on how well he played as a starter.

We don't.  But we also don't know what would have happened if we allowed Sam to ripen for part of the season either.

• Post of the Week 1

On 11/3/2020 at 3:00 PM, kmnj said:

I expect him to transform this O into the KC O as soon as he puts the uniform on or I'm done. 

6 hours ago, peebag said:

It worked out by letting the kid sit and learn.  KC had a decent vet QB so they could do that.

The Jets, however, will rush which ever newly ordained fresh meat out there and we'll end up with a sack of meat just like Darnold.

cuz, Jets. 

Let’s hope not. O’Brien was able to sit. So was chaddy. I think even Namath sat out a few.  I think I’m more concerned about the oline being good enough to pass and run block. If they’re good enough then Lawrence should have much problem.

20 hours ago, peebag said:

cuz, Jets. 

What was KC's glorious history of QB development from say 1970 until Mahomes? 

All it took was one CS and one player to change everything from the way we look at their ownership on down

On 11/3/2020 at 3:00 PM, kmnj said:

We havent even gotten the 1st yet, havent drafted Lawrence yet, played Lawrence yet and you want to ask people how long we should wait to dump him?

Are you for real?

15 hours ago, peebag said:

We don't.  But we also don't know what would have happened if we allowed Sam to ripen for part of the season either.

Exactly, we don't know, and there's no way to prove it.  There have been QB's who have sat and failed, sat and succeeded, played right away and failed, and played right away and succeeded. Which QB's would benefit from sitting and watching is a complete mystery.

It's best just to evaluate a QB based on the data we have, and not operate under a theory that it's highly important for a QB to sit for a bit for him to be successful.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly, we don't know, and there's no way to prove it.  There have been QB's who have sat and failed, sat and succeeded, played right away and failed, and played right away and succeeded. Which QB's would benefit from sitting and watching is a complete mystery.

It's best just to evaluate a QB based on the data we have, and not operate under a theory that it's highly important for a QB to sit for a bit for him to be successful.

Also depends on who you would be sitting for. Rodgers and Mahomes sat for Farve and Alex Smith. Sanchez and Sam played instead of Kellen Clemmons and McCown. Just a slight difference.?

• Upvote 1