Matt Rhule - The One That Got Away

Philc1

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Rhule looks okay.  Not bemoaning missing on him.  Similarly fine with never getting Quinn, or McCarthy.  The one that looks like a winner so far might be Kingsbury who seemed like the riskiest of them all.

And the story goes he basically was deciding between Murray and Darnold and picked Murray.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

4-9 and last place in the NFC South

the "all or nothing" mentality is pervasive around here

or "If you aint first you're last" like Ricky Bobby 

Rhule is learning the league and there will be setbacks 

i'd still take him in a heartbeat over Gase (obviously) but also almost everyone else on the coaching market to be honest 

he's building a program 

the fact he didn't win 16 games year 1 doesn't make it failure

meanwhile the Jets are "successfully" the worst team in NFL history and Jets fans see that as a more preferable outcome than mediocrity 

it's not true

no matter how great TL is as a prospect mediocrity in the NFL is in fact better than absolute winlessness 

the Jets are a laughing stock that's not easy to come back from 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

We don't deserve nice things. There really are people who don't want Trevor Lawrence because he lost last year against LSU.

Not perfect! Bust!

the irony of this thread 

i suspect Carolina is interested in the Sam Darnold reclamation

the Jets and Carolina have a long and storied trade history dating back to Vilma and Revis drafts (not sure why)

i wouldn't put it past Rhule to build some kind of offense Darnold could function in 

his current options are Teddy Bridgewater and PJ Walker 

• Upvote 2

I'm old enough to remember half the posters on this site wanting to give failed Dolphins HC Adam Gase a second season here after a miserable first season.

It's Rhule's first season coaching in the NFL taking over a 5-11 team who lost it's best player for a large portion of the season. Give the man a couple of seasons to find out who he is. Maybe he's big trash but HE deserves more time, unlike Gase here after 2019.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

the irony of this thread 

the Jets and Carolina have a long and storied trade history dating back to Vilma and Revis drafts (not sure why)

i wouldn't put it past Rhule to build some kind of offense Darnold could function in 

If we were half as objective regarding our own players as we are with other teams' players, there wouldn't be any homers.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the irony of this thread 

Makes sense. Rhule reunites Darnold w/Anderson and they go on to hook up for a ton of long TD's. Threads will be started like bUt WhY CoULdn'T DaRNolD tHRow DeEp BAlL hErE?

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Maybe it's just that teams with the best players win, and coaching is something fans know almost nothing about and mostly, not all, but mostly, something for those fans to argue about on talk radio and the internet?

But it's impossible to evaluate whether the Jets have the best players with coaching this bad.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

4-9 and last place in the NFC South

I was thinking about this last weekend. Hopefully the bad trend continues and the Jets don't regret it. What will make that easier is getting the right coach after Gase. Then just moving on and winning. Maybe that whole batch Gase, McCarthy, Rhule stinks.  :)

28 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

But it's impossible to evaluate whether the Jets have the best players with coaching this bad.

Good point.  I hope they bring in a defensive minded HC to get the most out of Bless Austin, Bryce Hall, Arthur Mallet, and Lamar Jackson.

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

How is that possible?  Two different drafts.

He took an interview with the Jets who already had Darnold and Arizona who had the first pick, Arizona gave him the OK to draft Murray if he took the job and he choose Arizona and Murray over the Jets and Darnold.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a fan of Rhule but you've gotta give him a chance once Christian McCaffrey returns next season. 

He took over a defense that was so bad last year (atrocious) to the point where Carolina refused to select a single offensive player throughout 2020's draft; they literally drafted defenses with every single pick (and their defense has since improved tremendously this year). 

It's hard to recover on offense after not drafting a single offensive player before losing this kid (below). 

I had an awesome childhood friend in Queens growing up he passed away in a car accident as teenagers and man I miss him every time I get reminded of McCaffrey it reminds me of him because growing up (all in good nature) he used to ball bust me laughing and telling me how I'll never see a white running back dominate the position like one of the brothers  outside of FBs like A-Train Mike Alstott he'd also tell me Jason Sehorn was a CB fluke lol but man growing up he really had me convinced about the RB position I remember one day like yesterday he called me over the phone to tell me to create a player on Madden and I asked why and his response "that's the only time you'll ever see a white 99 RB" and hung up on me cracking up laughing damn I miss you bra I known you'd be telling me McCaffrey is really black like Michael Jackson ???