Adam Gase officially fired: MERGED

AbstraKt

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

The Jets are officially searching for their next head coach after relieving Adam Gase of his duties Sunday evening.

And Joe Douglas is running the point.

According to multiple league and team sources, the Jets general manager is the one primarily in charge of finding Gase’s replacement. CEO Christopher Johnson and president Hymie Elhai will contribute and have roles, sources said, but it will be Douglas who identifies the traits he wants in a coach, finds the coach who has those traits, conducts the majority of the interviews, and eventually highlights the one he believes is the perfect man for the job.

“It’s Joe’s show,” one source said.

And he has the green light from ownership to do whatever it takes to get the coach he desires on the Jets’ sideline.

This will be the first head-coaching vacancy Douglas fills largely by himself. He spent the first 14 years of his career in the Ravens organization, training underneath Ozzie Newsome, before leaving the team in 2014. He then went to the Bears (Director of College Scouting) for one year before spending just over three seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles (Vice President of Player Personnel). The Jets hired Douglas after the 2019 NFL Draft.

In Baltimore and Chicago, Douglas worked almost exclusively in collegiate scouting. With the Eagles, Howie Roseman did everything he could to expose Douglas to various front-office workings, but that didn’t include a head-coaching search. Doug Pederson was already there when Douglas arrived.

Still, Douglas has the Jets’ full confidence and the complete trust of Johnson. Johnson will be privy to all potential moves. He’ll be made aware of why Douglas believes those moves will or won’t work. He’ll be involved in all interviews. He will not step on Douglas’ toes, though.

The Jets have basically given Douglas the keys to the franchise. He’ll pick the coach. He has no financial restrictions in free agency. He runs their draft.

Douglas is well-respected around the league and was considered a significant hire for New York in 2019. After the Jets fired Mike Maccagnan, Gase helped compile a short list of potential replacements, with Douglas’ name at the top. After one interview, Johnson knew who he wanted. The two sides went back and forth before Douglas agreed to a six-year contract.

“Christopher was not going to let him get away,” one team source said. “He found his guy, and he got him.”

The Jets believe the chance to work with Douglas will be a beacon that attracts coaches to their opening.  What Douglas has worked to build the last two years won’t hurt, either.

The Jets had a reputation for horrid drafting, worse free-agent signings, and front-office discombobulation before Douglas’ arrival.  Their 10-year playoff drought, and brutal 2-14 record this season, is a final result of those years of ineptitude — from Mike Tannenbaum to John Idzik to Maccagnan. While Douglas said midway through this year he “didn’t do enough” to give Gase and quarterback Sam Darnold talent, it was always going to take more than one offseason to fix this team.

And while the Jets aren’t good, Douglas has positioned them to turn a corner sooner rather than later.

The general manager’s conservative approach in free agency last year angered fans, but it has positioned the Jets nicely for this year’s talent-rich class. New York should sit nearly $100 million under the cap when the market opens. Douglas received criticism for trading all-pro safety Jamal Adams, but in doing so, helped accumulate nine total picks within the first three rounds of the next two drafts. The Jets pick second this year, and have four first-round picks over the next two years.

Obviously, that doesn’t mean much if the Jets can’t find the right coach.

But the team is confident in Douglas’ ability to do so.

turn up yes GIF by BrownSugarApp

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Small reminder that @SAR I did not, in fact, hire Adam Gase and that @SAR I, in fact, roots for the team to do well. 

@SAR I brought this on himself. It was pretty obvious  Gase was on his way out for weeks but nobody could say for sure. He took the uncertainty to push an agenda nobody but him and maybe you wanted. If he has to live in the internet version of a bunker now, he only has himself to blame.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, DLJ said:

The fact that that Sar 1 dude was allowed to openly troll all season with no repercussions is troubling
People have been banned for less

Yea i remember max giving him a stern ass warning mid season but he just continued and max didnt do anything. Sorry max it be true

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I was annoyed too but the dude is allowed to express his opinion.  I think he sincerely thought Gase was good.  Just like he thought Lienhart was the key to a successful future for the Jets.  I wouldn't want anyone searching my history for all my wrong opinions, and there are plenty of them, I'm sure.

No way. He was sincere about lienhardt and sanchez but the gase love was all trolling after his 5-0 prediction got so much attention

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

I literally can't take the sense of relief and victory

Biggest Jets win since 1969

This is a dark day in Jets history, nothing to celebrate.  Let's see, we leave the season with:

1.  The knowledge that Sam Darnold is a bust and we have wasted 3 years for nothing.

2.  A complete tear down of our coaching staff and likely another lame defensive coordinator in over his head as a rookie head coach taking a job no one else wanted.

3.  The keys to the kingdom in the hands of a meek scout still learning how to be a GM.

Gase wasn't the problem.  This fixes nothing.  It just sets us back again.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 11

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

image.thumb.png.7aecbabd148932e2cfc4be1e0cb46598.png

How does he know Adam Gase has a wonderful family? He got to know them how, like JFK Jr., playing hide and seek under the President's desk? Is that just something people say? We all know what happened to the Kennedy's, btw: The Dead Kennedys. Great band.

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

We need a thread with an official statement from @SAR I

Official Statement From SAR:

I'm a Jets fan and support the team in what they are trying to accomplish.  The failure of another coaching staff, the failure of another franchise quarterback prospect, the reenactment of the revolving door at head coach, the repeat of the blind faith in a GM that most thought was in over his head, it's all very 2015, it doesn't feel like anything has changed in Florham Park.

But, I support the Jets, I support the Johnson's, and if this is what they thought was the best course of action, so be it, on to 2021.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I was annoyed too but the dude is allowed to express his opinion.  I think he sincerely thought Gase was good.  Just like he thought Lienhart was the key to a successful future for the Jets.  I wouldn't want anyone searching my history for all my wrong opinions, and there are plenty of them, I'm sure.

Thank you, BH.

I like much of what Gase did off the field, his tough tactics in Florham Park, his housecleaning of Maccagnan, his handling of the media, his professionalism, and how he got the players to play hard despite difficult circumstances.  That's 80% of the job right there.  The crappy roster and injuries weren't his fault, the Douglas fire sale was not something he should be held accountable for, it's a terrible situation for any head coach to be put in-  something I think we're about to be reminded of again when we wind up with Mr. Irrelevant in our head coaching search.

Joe Douglas better be good.  Or we're screwed for another decade watching him turn into the next Maccagnan.  

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Was watching Cobra Kai Season 3.  What I miss?

SAR I

Good to see you hear my friend!

Trust me we can in fact thank Gase for helping to get Mac out and JD here...Organizational moves of monumental changes for the good!

So SIR.......

Hold your head up!!!

bones GIF

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Good times are coming sore1 just wait n see

I'm not feeling it right now.  I lived with this illusion that Gase was an ass-kicking rebuild mastermind and that he, Douglas, and Christopher were all on the same page, cleaning house and gearing up for a great 2021.  I knew Gase would likely be gone when we were rebuilt and in a position to upgrade at HC, so why now?  I'm quite disappointed that I was wrong.  The illusion was better than the reality.   

SAR I

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Good to see you hear my friend!

Trust me we can in fact thank Gase for helping to get Mac out and JD here...Organizational moves of monumental changes for the good!

So SIR.......

Hold your head up!!!

bones GIF

Thank you, CB.

People are celebrating.  But it's not a time to celebrate.  Flipping the HC accomplishes nothing unless we get a generational head coach in here.  I'm already hearing nobody junior college names and also-ran third-tier coordinators.  I'm not excited about Todd Bowles II.  And I worry, perhaps prematurely, that Joe Douglas isn't ready to be the football man we so desperately need.

SAR I

36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

2.  A complete tear down of our coaching staff and likely another lame defensive coordinator in over his head as a rookie head coach taking a job no one else wanted.

See. I knew it. 

I've been saying for months that SAR was/is going to absolutely HATE our new coach once his boyfriend was FIRED. 

It's disgusting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Thank you, CB.

People are celebrating.  But it's not a time to celebrate.  Flipping the HC accomplishes nothing unless we get a generational head coach in here.  I'm already hearing nobody junior college names and also-ran third-tier coordinators.  I'm not excited about Todd Bowles II.  And I worry, perhaps prematurely, that Joe Douglas isn't ready to be the football man we so desperately need.

SAR I

I respect and understand your view.  Don't agree with it.  But that's what makes the world go around.  As Jets fans lets hope we get this right. 

44 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This is a dark day in Jets history, nothing to celebrate.  Let's see, we leave the season with:

1.  The knowledge that Sam Darnold is a bust and we have wasted 3 years for nothing.

3.  The keys to the kingdom in the hands of a meek scout still learning how to be a GM.

Gase wasn't the problem.  This fixes nothing.  It just sets us back again.  

SAR I

Welcome to the Participation Ribbon Generation - J Metz's Blog

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Lol,  why do you care so much? He's a lonely old man trolling on a message board. You're taking this sh*t way too personal.  The satisfaction of knowing he was wrong should be good enough. He's never going to give you what you want by admitting he was wrong. Never. Some of you guys need to go through some actual sh*t in life to gain some perspective. @SAR I nonsense should mean literally nothing to anybody except him. He is going to continue to troll going forward bc he lacks the knowledge to contribute to this site in a meaningful way. He obviously needs this attention in his life bc he's not getting it elsewhere. Let him have it and chalk it up to him being a lonely,  desperate little man and move on. 

Lol, this. It's clear as day Sar I is a troll. I doubt he actually seriously really believed that Gase would be back as the Jets coach for 2021. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

See. I knew it. 

I've been saying for months that SAR was/is going to absolutely HATE our new coach once his boyfriend was FIRED. 

It's disgusting. 

What exactly do you think my reaction should be?  I told you I wasn't clowning, I told you I actually liked parts of what Gase offered, things that a rebuilding team needs to have during a 2-3 year period where they get the roster ready to compete..  That wasn't an act.

What we have now is more of same.  We're about to interview the dregs of head coaching candidates and wind up with another nobody.  I'm already hearing others hype junior college nobodies and talk of coordinators who would never come to NFL coaching Siberia. 

It's 2015 all over again, a sh-t roster that no decent prospect wanted any part of.  What did we wind up with?  Todd Bowles (who?) and Mike Maccagnan (who?) and a broken Geno Smith for them to figure out.

I'll reserve judgement on the new head coach when he's hired.  Perhaps I'll like what I see.  Call me skeptical.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3