2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

Some Names the Jets Have Met/Spoke With 

With no NFL Combine and everything being done virtual or at the Senior Bowl/Pro Day’s, it’s been harder to find out which players teams have had a chance to meet/talk with but we were able to gather a solid amount of names the Jets have spoken with.

This doesn’t mean they haven’t spoken with others or that any of these guys will be drafted, it’s just a list of guys we can confirm the Jets brass chatted with.

RBs: Memphis Kenneth Gainwell, Clemson Travis Etienne, Alabama Najee Harris, UNC Michael Carter, Buffalo Jaret Patterson, Iowa State Kene Nwangwu, Louisville RB Javian Hawkins, Oregon State RB Jermar Jefferson, UCLA Demetric Felton, Virginia Tech Khalil Herbert

WRs: ASU Frank Darby, Auburn Anthony Schwartz, Auburn Eli Stove, Minnesota Rashod Bateman, Florida Kadarius Toney, Alabama DeVonta Smith, Purdue Rondale Moore, Iowa Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Clemson Amari Rodgers

TE’s: Notre Dame Tommy Tremble, UCF WR/TE Jacob Harris, Miami Brevin Jordan

OL: Massachusetts Larnel Coleman, Oklahoma State Teven Jenkins, USC Alijah Vera-Tucker, Middle Tennessee State Robert Jones, Grambling David Moore, Oklahoma Creed Humphrey

IDL: WVU Darius Stills, NC State DL Alim McNeill, Washington Levi Onwuzurike, Notre Dame Ade Ogundeji

EDGE: Boston College Max Roberts, Notre Dame Daelin Hayes, Ohio State Jonathon Cooper, Oklahoma St Cameron Murray, Northern Iowa Elerson Smith 

LB: LSU JaCoby Stevens, Tulsa Zaven Collins, Auburn K.J. Britt

DB: Northwestern CB Greg Newsome II, SDSU Darren Hall, Auburn Jordyn Peters, Syracuse Trill Williams, Washington Elijah Molden, Minnesota Benjamin St. Juste, Missouri Joshuah Bledsoe

https://ustadium.com/p/757165

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Q. Joe Douglas seems to favor a specific type of offensive linemen. Can you give some names you believe fit Joe Douglas’ preferred personality and scheme for the first three rounds of the draft?

A. 

Centers Creed Humphrey, Michal Menet, and Drew Dalman. 

Tackles Teven Jenkins and Dillon Radunz. 

Guards Wyatt Davis and Jack Anderson.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-rumors-draft-news-jamarr-chases-potential-teams-moving-up-for-qbs-and-more/

Ima be disappointed if we don't walk away with Humphrey

• Upvote 2

On 4/10/2021 at 6:14 PM, Beerfish said:

Maurice jones drew would also have been a bad WR pick at #23 overall.  What kind of a route tree is this guy going to run?  Weapon?  Oh sure, he will be but can he do it all in the NFL?  I doubt it.

It's funny that you 100% hate Kadarius Toney and call him a gadget player and yet you love this guy.

The tree-trunk route tree

maurice jones drew | maurice-jones-drew | Jacksonville jaguars,  Jacksonville jags, Jaguars

man my ideal draft would be

QB,

OL/CB/EDGE,

OL

OL/CB/EDGE,

whatever the rest of the way....

We literally could be looking at really improved team with adding rookies in these spots. I like the mock suggested players are these positions. And especially this year I like the first two rounds really three rounds for our team to pick guys that will all at least be contributors if not outright starters...I mena i could see some of the 2nd 3rd round guys not be some amazing all start talent like picking up Michael Thomas or whatever but I don't see them wasting picks on the Stephen Hill types, I think this year is quality year in options. 

This might go down as one of the best drafts our team has every had. I really believe that. Assuming Wilson is the real deal, i think we hit on at least 5 guys, plus all the FA talent brought in etc. We have very sunny days ahead friends.

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If we don't draft Najee Harris, Imma head over and be a Washington Demon Cat fan

I am sorry to say but I do not see us taking him, he wont drop someone will pay draft premium on him. BUT I could see a second pick in one of the mid rounds going on RB. Who by the way will have probably a big impact this year. the Off game plan makes use of RB's very well if they have a clear talent set. I am not sold on any of our RB's having that ability. I expect Joe to get Saleh the RB type he is looking for talent wise for his committee approach. BUT the caveat is that I don't think Joe see's that as a huge need. i bet Joe think Saleh can make it work with the ones we have, so the draft will have to go where we are taking our second pick in a round and we can't trade back or get the high enough ranked OL/CB/Edge, in that case specifically I see him taking a RB that Saleh likes, but don't expect any RB from the 5th or later picks. It would have to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. AND ONLY if we can get value CB OL or Edge. 

Harris ET etc will noo be a jet imo

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

man my ideal draft would be

QB,

OL/CB/EDGE,

OL

OL/CB/EDGE,

whatever the rest of the way....

We literally could be looking at really improved team with adding rookies in these spots. I like the mock suggested players are these positions. And especially this year I like the first two rounds really three rounds for our team to pick guys that will all at least be contributors if not outright starters...I mena i could see some of the 2nd 3rd round guys not be some amazing all start talent like picking up Michael Thomas or whatever but I don't see them wasting picks on the Stephen Hill types, I think this year is quality year in options. 

This might go down as one of the best drafts our team has every had. I really believe that. Assuming Wilson is the real deal, i think we hit on at least 5 guys, plus all the FA talent brought in etc. We have very sunny days ahead friends.

Add in a WR early, and I agree.

There’s a lot of CB depth and IOL depth in this one.

We can realistically get OL about 4-5 rounds in.

• WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Vacchiano doesn’t know. Nobody knows.

I dunno Tom, everyone knew what the Jets were doing in FA well in advance of it happening.

I’m glad they now have a new interior offensive line, a bunch of corners, Trey Hendrickson, and Juju Smith-Schuster, don’t get me wrong, but I wish they’d hidden their plans a bit better.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Add in a WR early, and I agree.

There’s a lot of CB depth and IOL depth in this one.

We can realistically get OL about 4-5 rounds in.

you think so? I am not so sure the quality depth is there, but by all means if so, that woudl be huge. I may be the minority here but I think Mims can be a 1 and grow into it. The gusy size is great. I think he is fast too, although i didint see much of that in year 1. BUT sure add WR in there with the OL/CB/edge spots...it would be jsut as good as long as we get at least 1 CB towards in the top 3 rounds.

8 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

you think so? I am not so sure the quality depth is there, but by all means if so, that woudl be huge. I may be the minority here but I think Mims can be a 1 and grow into it. The gusy size is great. I think he is fast too, although i didint see much of that in year 1. BUT sure add WR in there with the OL/CB/edge spots...it would be jsut as good as long as we get at least 1 CB towards in the top 3 rounds.

I think, based on what I’m seeing doing the JN mock draft, that there’s solid IOL prospects that will fit the zone that’ll be readily available in rounds 3-5.

Also, JD’s roots armrest OL, he should be finding value.

Also, also, I read something recently here in JN about how IOL quality is often found mid-draft, statistically speaking.

So, you go right tackle early - maybe guard or center, depending on who falls to us - and scoop up prospects later to eventually replace Van Roten, etc.

Use some of those early picks on guys that kill QBs and score TDs.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I think, based on what I’m seeing doing the JN mock draft, that there’s solid IOL prospects that will fit the zone that’ll be readily available in rounds 3-5.

Also, JD’s roots armrest OL, he should be finding value.

Also, also, I read something recently here in JN about how IOL quality is often found mid-draft, statistically speaking.

So, you go right tackle early - maybe guard or center, depending on who falls to us - and scoop up prospects later to eventually replace Van Roten, etc.

the very best motto I think..

• Upvote 1

2021 NFL draft: Jets take Georgia edge rusher in new CBS Sports mock

cda946eea89e4ea081bca158d2e082bb.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
April 18, 2021 10:32 am

CBS Sports has a new mock draft in which the Jets take their quarterback of the future and add another pass-rusher to the mix.

Here, the Jets are paired with Zach Wilson, which can practically be written in pen at this point. The 6-foot-3, 210-pound BYU product fits quite well with what the Jets and Mike LaFleur are looking to accomplish offensively.

Wilson thrives off of his ability to make off-platform throws and would be given the freedom to do so in New York’s offense. While he isn’t as physically gifted as Justin Fields or Trey Lance, he has tremendous arm strength and projects to be a long-term starter at the next level.

As for Gang Green’s second first-round pick, Georgia edge rusher Azeez Ojulari is the projected selection at No. 23.

While Ojulari is one of the more complete pass-rushers in this year’s draft class, it would be hard to envision Joe Douglas passing on either Oklahoma State OL Teven Jenkins or Northwestern CB Greg Newsome II with this pick.

Ojulari is a bit undersized for New York’s 4-3 defensive scheme at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds. The Georgia product will need to put on some weight. That being said, he has the necessary explosiveness and athleticism to be a productive pass-rusher at the next level.

Ojualri totaled 30 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, 16 quarterback hurries and three forced fumbles in 10 games this past season.

Ex-Jets tight end likes that Zach Wilson takes risks

1229499214.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
April 18, 2021 10:37 am

Former Jets tight end Anthony Becht likes all the quarterbacks in this year’s draft, but he said he is a fan of Zach Wilson because he’s more of a “gunslinger” than the other prospects.

“He takes risks,” Becht told SNY. “You do need a quarterback that does that as well. You aren’t going to dink-and-dunk your way to a Super Bowl.”

Wilson’s risks paid off in 2020. He threw for 3,692 yards, completed 73.5 percent of his passes, averaged 11 yards per attempt and scored 33 touchdowns to just three interceptions. Wilson also finished with the highest Pro Football Focus grade of any college quarterback this past season and had zero turnover-worthy plays while under pressure.

Many expect Joe Douglas and the Jets to draft Wilson second overall later this month. Becht said Jets fans should be excited about that.

“We’ve seen a lot of new chapters – this book is as thick as the Bible – but that’s OK,” he said. “I’m excited about it. Every year is new.”

The Jets drafted Anthony Becht 27th overall in 2000 – the team’s fourth first-round pick that year. He played five years in New York and caught 133 receptions for 1,164 yards and 17 touchdowns. Becht played six more seasons; three for the Buccaneers, one for the Rams, one for the Cardinals and one for the Chiefs.

He retired in 2011.

How much cap space will Jets' draft picks eat up?

USATSI_15112791-e1616973289262.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
April 19, 2021 10:18 am

Joe Douglas spent a lot of money in free agency and he’ll need to spend a lot more to sign his 10 draft picks this spring.

The Jets head into the 2021 draft with almost $25 million in salary cap space, but they will use about $16 million on their picks, according to Over The Cap. That includes an estimated $6.391 million on the No. 2 pick and $2.426 million on the No. 23 pick. If Douglas doesn’t sign anyone else of significance, the Jets will have almost $9 million in cap space left for the 2021 season. A lot of that will likely carry over to 2022 unless the Jets make a major move during the season that eats up the rest of the salary cap.

This is why Douglas made the moves he did last year and this offseason to inflate the Jets’ cap space. He gave himself enough money to sign these picks without having to jettison quality starters and will still have some leftover cash to spend at various positions of need once he makes his selections.

There are several quality veterans still on the market Douglas could sign once the draft is over and undrafted free agents are signed.

2021 NFL draft: Jets grab Georgia corner in Draft Wire's latest mock

1277146547-e1618783067158.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
April 20, 2021 8:30 am

Draft Wire’s Luke Easterling has the Jets addressing two premium positions in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft in his most recent mock.

As expected, Easterling has the Jets taking BYU’s Zach Wilson with the second overall pick. Easterling said this is all but a lock at this point in the Jets’ draft process and that they’re hoping that the flashes of brilliance Wilson showed while at BYU will transfer over to the NFL.

Wilson’s first two seasons as a Cougar were inconsistent. He played in 18 games and threw for 3,960 yards, 23 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. However, Wilson took off in his junior season in 2020, throwing for 3,692 yards, 33 touchdowns and three interceptions.

The Jets wouldn’t have moved on from Sam Darnold had they not believed that whichever quarterback they intend to draft can lead them to success. All signs are pointing to it being Wilson, so the next thing the Jets have to do is surround him with talent. The Jets failed to do that for Darnold, and it played an important role in why he underperformed in his three years in New York.

As for the Jets’ second first-round pick at No. 23 overall, Easterling has them drafting Georgia cornerback Eric Stokes. The Jets failed to address cornerback in free agency, and Stokes has all the raw talent in the world.

Stokes ran the 40-yard dash twice at his pro day and had times of 4.25 seconds and 4.28 seconds, respectively. The all-time fastest 40-yard dash time was recorded in 2017 by John Ross at 4.22 seconds. Meanwhile, Stokes had a 38.5-inch vertical. 

Stokes backed up his ridiculous athleticism with great play on the field. In three seasons at Georgia, he recorded 78 total tackles, 22 pass defenses, four interceptions, two touchdowns, one forced fumble and one sack. Stokes was First-team All-SEC in 2020 and Second-team All-SEC in 2019.