Does Zach Wilson take Adderall? Red Flag?

Shockwave

Zach can trace some of his own traits directly to his maternal uncles, aunts and grandparents. More than half of them have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), including Lisa, David and Zach himself. David was in his mid-30s when his mother sent him a book called “Driven to Distraction,” and urged him to read it. It was an epiphany for David. “I struggled a lot in school,” he told Fortune magazine. “I really had a hard time with standardized tests, staying focused and absorbing information from a written page into my brain. It was tough. I thought I was stupid, that I didn’t have what the other kids had.” 

Wilson had a similar experience. He earned good grades in high school, but when he got to college he struggled with the increased demands to pay attention in class and take notes. Wilson, who had always suspected he might have ADHD, submitted himself to a test for the disorder and tested positive. He is on medication.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2019/8/25/20828350/how-those-closest-to-zach-wilson-ute-fans-to-the-core-played-a-hand-in-landing-him-at-byu

Thoughts:

I have Wilson as the clear number 2 QB this year assuming his medicals are clear. I have Justin Fields as my QB 4. I can't draft a QB that has been the man since H.S. and still can't go through progressions or process teams blitzing/coverages. I think Fields will bust. So this is coming from a Wilson/Lance Fan. 

With that being said if Zach Wilson is on Adderall he would literally be off my board. 

Please note I am fully speculating he is on Adderall. The article states he is on ADHD medication. Adderall is the most popular. I am speculating this because people on Adderall often have difficulties gaining weight which makes a ton of sense if you look at Wilson. Wilson's people are saying his frame is based on shoulder surgery. If he is on Adderall that is likely the real reason for his weight and he is never gaining weight on that medication. Theres also part of this story or another which state he literally watches film all night every night. For those that have taken Adderall you know that sounds exactly like someone that uses Adderall. 

Will Wilson get a medical waiver for this medication? If he doesn't there is no chance he will be the same player he was in college. This drug is listed as performance enhancing for a reason. There have been NFL and MLB players suspended for using this drug. Anyone see the movie Limitless or the series? These drugs make you the beautiful mind. Anyone themselves take this drug? Then you know what it does. 

What happens whenever Zach Wilson changes medication or the NFL suddenly stops allowing him to take this medication?

ADHD is a disability. If any of you know anyone with this its very real and kids with it can fit into special needs to I am certainly sympathetic to the situation. Also again I am speculating that he is taking Adderall because of his weight/snippets in the article. Perhaps he is on ritalin. The article just says he is on "medication. Either way if you're the Jets this is perhaps more important than his shoulder situation. The Jets need to fully investigate what he has been taking and check with the NFL that he will be allowed to continue this medication throughout his career. The Front Office has to ask themselves if they are comfortable with this being a long term concern. Do you sign a QB to 40m contract in 3 years that may switch medications and not be the same player?

Overpaying for Watson or Trading down sure seems a-lot safer right now then Fields or Wilson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

I'm sure if his ADHD diagnosis is already well established, his agents have likely begun the process of getting him a Therapeutic Use Exception (TUE).  The process is rigorous, requires renewal every year, but it is not insurmountable for someone with an established diagnosis.  

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/ADHD_requirements_2018.pdf

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Football is the answer for ADHD. Exercise helps with the expulsion of built up energy. The competitive nature is the adrenaline these people need. They struggle somewhat with the sitting in a classroom doldrums. Nothing to see here.

Again!

When I was in the army we had a guy steal an entire bottle of Addrrall.  In order to hide the evidence when we searched his room in the barracks with the MPs he took all of the pills in the bottle it had to be like 30-40 pills total

fun times

19 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I'm sure if his ADHD diagnosis is already well established, his agents have likely begun the process of getting him a Therapeutic Use Exception (TUE).  The process is rigorous, requires renewal every year, but it is not insurmountable for someone with an established diagnosis.  

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/ADHD_requirements_2018.pdf

Totally Agreed. 

Many here clearly don't understand how Adderall works. Adderall is a PED. 

PED - Means this is labeled a Performance Enhancing Drug by all Major Sports. Seems many do not realize this.  It is a serious drug and this is going to be something he needs renewal EVERY year. 

Here is Dion Jordon's

Dion Jordan faces 10-game suspension for Adderall violation

Published: May 14, 2019 at 06:39 AM

Headshot_Author_TOM_PELISSERO_1400x1000

Tom Pelissero

NFL.com Reporter

•  
  •  
  •  

Jordan learned Tuesday an arbitrator has denied his appeal of a 10-game suspension for violating the performance-enhancing drug policy by taking Adderall -- a medication Jordan has been approved to take in the past as treatment for ADHD, but for which his therapeutic use exemption (TUE) had expired.

Jordan hadn't taken Adderall in months and admits he knew his TUE hadn't been renewed when he took it this past December and January, leading to three positive tests in a span of four weeks that were consolidated into a single violation. But amidst everything he was going through, Jordan says: "I thought it was going to help me dial in -- for the moment, for the day, whatever. That was my intentions behind what I was doing. It was a bit much at the time. I'm not saying that it was the right thing. But for myself, it was just what I went to."

Jordan was previously suspended four games in 2013 for violating the PED policy by testing positive for a banned stimulant, leading to the increased 10-game suspension this time around. (Adderall is considered a substance of abuse in the offseason, but a PED during the season.)

https://www.nfl.com/news/dion-jordan-faces-10-game-suspension-for-adderall-violation-0ap3000001030779

I realize many don't understand the drug from the responses. Here is more info. 

https://www.sportscasting.com/aqib-talib-describes-what-its-like-to-play-football-while-on-adderall/

“We’re going against Mike Williams and Vincent Jackson — that’s the two receivers on the Bucs… I tell you — Adderall is a performance-enhancing drug. I was locked in, I was faster, I was thinking about the route… it was like a video game. Real sh–. I was like a machine. I was like Mega Man.”

When you are about to invest the number 2 overall pick and 40m dollars. This is absolutely a significant discussion as you may be selecting a player that is a taking a PED being taken under a TUE. That drug that clearly alters performance under every major sporting guideline wether you look at the MLB, NFL etc. 

5 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I realize many don't understand the drug from the responses. Here is more info. 

https://www.sportscasting.com/aqib-talib-describes-what-its-like-to-play-football-while-on-adderall/

When you are about to invest the number 2 overall pick and 40m dollars. This is absolutely a significant discussion as you may be selecting a player that is a taking a PED being taken under a TUE. That drug that clearly alters performance under every major sporting guideline may change one day or no longer being allowed under TUE. 

Talib has a strong Snoop Dog vibe going on.  

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

When I was in the army we had a guy steal an entire bottle of Addrrall.  In order to hide the evidence when we searched his room in the barracks with the MPs he took all of the pills in the bottle it had to be like 30-40 pills total

fun times

I miss the Infantry.... ? 

50 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Nah. Modafinil is the way to go. If you don't mind diarrhea and headaches. 

But working out on adderall is a game changer.

I had a family member in college last year. She was a total party animal in Freshman and Sophmore year that had a C average. She came home after first semester junior suddenly Pre med, straight A student and having lost 20 pounds. I pulled her aside and asked: So when did you start Adderrall? Her response was:  like how did you know! 

You could tell by most of the responses above people clearly don't know anything about this drug. This is not the same as some garbage rumor about being captain. 

Btw She said most college kids are on this or Modifinal now as you mentioned. Its looked at like weed or alcohol and they simply don't tell their parents. Only issue obviously becomes when you play sports its a PED. 

I didn’t know aderrall can cause weight loss. Had to jump on webmd to check it out. ? Sounds like it curbs your appetite and may cause you to burn more calories. I can’t see why a good strength and conditioning program can’t overcome that. He’ll be a professional athlete.

The shoulder injury is his true red flag. That needs to be checked out. This other stuff is just fluff. Another concern I have is can he play within a system? He tends to look at his first read and then go backyard ball after that. Mahomes was able to make that leap but it’s tbd on Wilson.

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2019/8/25/20828350/how-those-closest-to-zach-wilson-ute-fans-to-the-core-played-a-hand-in-landing-him-at-byu

Thoughts:

I have Wilson as the clear number 2 QB this year assuming his medicals are clear. I have Justin Fields as my QB 4. I can't draft a QB that has been the man since H.S. and still can't go through progressions or process teams blitzing/coverages. I think Fields will bust. So this is coming from a Wilson/Lance Fan. 

With that being said if Zach Wilson is on Adderall he would literally be off my board. 

Please note I am fully speculating he is on Adderall. The article states he is on ADHD medication. Adderall is the most popular. I am speculating this because people on Adderall often have difficulties gaining weight which makes a ton of sense if you look at Wilson. Wilson's people are saying his frame is based on shoulder surgery. If he is on Adderall that is likely the real reason for his weight and he is never gaining weight on that medication. Theres also part of this story or another which state he literally watches film all night every night. For those that have taken Adderall you know that sounds exactly like someone that uses Adderall. 

Will Wilson get a medical waiver for this medication? If he doesn't there is no chance he will be the same player he was in college. This drug is listed as performance enhancing for a reason. There have been NFL and MLB players suspended for using this drug. Anyone see the movie Limitless or the series? These drugs make you the beautiful mind. Anyone themselves take this drug? Then you know what it does. 

What happens whenever Zach Wilson changes medication or the NFL suddenly stops allowing him to take this medication?

ADHD is a disability. If any of you know anyone with this its very real and kids with it can fit into special needs to I am certainly sympathetic to the situation. Also again I am speculating that he is taking Adderall because of his weight/snippets in the article. Perhaps he is on ritalin. The article just says he is on "medication. Either way if you're the Jets this is perhaps more important than his shoulder situation. The Jets need to fully investigate what he has been taking and check with the NFL that he will be allowed to continue this medication throughout his career. The Front Office has to ask themselves if they are comfortable with this being a long term concern. Do you sign a QB to 40m contract in 3 years that may switch medications and not be the same player?

Overpaying for Watson or Trading down sure seems a-lot safer right now then Fields or Wilson. 

My son has ADHD and has been on Adderall for over 15 years now, and can not function at a high level without it.  He is 6 foot tall and weights over 300 pounds.  He has trouble losing weight, and loves his food.  He is a very strong guy, and while not in good shape, had lost over 100 pounds about 10 years ago when he put his mind to it, and exercised like crazy.  He since put back the 100 pounds.  He recently recovered from Covid, and lost weight as a result.  I have no doubt that he put back all the weight that he lost.  So, the weight argument is null and void when it comes to my son.

As far as whether I would disqualify Wilson as my #2 pick, I think it is a real concern and should be taken seriously.  While I have no doubt that Wilson can prosper and do great things, if he requires adderal to function properly, then I promise you that he can not function without it.

I am afraid that relying on a drug to perform at an extreme high level as the leader on the football field in extreme stressful conditions, I would forego drafting Wilson at least with the 2nd pick in the draft.

• Upvote 1

When I was a kid you were either Rich, Slow, or Hyperactive. We all ended up in jail no matter what. Those were the good old days!

What's with all this  pussified crap about vests and special classes, therapy and medication!? That's why all these guys are entitled Divas these days.

The closest thing we had was special ed class but that was because those guys would stab each other with pencils in the hallway and crap their pants and need to be tackled.

Oh yeah and in those days there were no cell phones and no cameras either. So you either got beat up or gave a beating on the way to school, in the bathroom at school, or after school.

Whether you were Rich, slow, or hyperactive you were getting a beating. Much simpler times and everybody was considered equal LMFAO

• Haha 2