Jets’ Joe Douglas says he’s open to trading Sam Darnold — and of course he should be

Bronx

https://www.nj.com/jets/2021/03/jets-joe-douglas-says-hes-open-to-trading-sam-darnold-and-of-course-he-should-be.html

general manager Joe Douglas said last season that quarterback Sam Darnold was untouchable, in terms of another team trading for him.

Douglas on Wednesday said that is no longer the case — and that he is willing to listen to trade offers for Darnold, who has mostly underwhelmed through three seasons.

This is the first time Douglas has this directly stated his openness to dealing Darnold. Earlier this offseason, Douglas essentially said he was open to it — by being noncommittal when asked about Darnold’s status with the Jets for 2021.

“I will answer the call if it’s made,” Douglas said of trade inquiries about Darnold.

And of course he should answer the call, because it sure looks like Darnold isn’t a franchise quarterback. Yet maybe Douglas can still get something from a quarterback-needy team for him this offseason.

Sure, some of Darnold’s struggles over the past three seasons stem from a lackluster supporting cast and porous offensive line. Yes, Adam Gase’s inept coaching the past two seasons did little to help Darnold.

But unless the Jets really think new coach Robert Saleh’s staff can magically fix Darnold in 2021 — the likely final year of his rookie contract — then at least listening to trade offers makes perfectly reasonable sense. Douglas would be foolish to not listen.

Saleh brought in Mike LaFleur to be his offensive coordinator. So LaFleur must determine if Darnold can succeed in his Mike Shanahan-style West Coast offense. Darnold played in that offense as a rookie — with Jeremy Bates as his coordinator and position coach — and he did have some success in the scheme. But he wasn’t able to build on that from 2019-20.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Another reason to think he's gone.  So many ways to answer that question, and if one of Sam's issues is confidence, this certainly doesn't help it.

The other one, which I think is truly underrated around here, is that the Jets official social media accounts are posting mock drafts with us taking a QB at 2.  From a PR standpoint, you'd think they'd want to avoid this at all costs.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Another reason to think he's gone.  So many ways to answer that question, and if one of Sam's issues is confidence, this certainly doesn't help it.

The other one, which I think is truly underrated around here, is that the Jets official social media accounts are posting mock drafts with us taking a QB at 2.  From a PR standpoint, you'd think they'd want to avoid this at all costs.

This

But like Pat Mcafee said earlier: “when you sit and think about it the jets have to trade Darnold and if I’m a another GM I know that”  

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This coupled with the points made in the article lead to the simply stated  conclusion of "he's just not good".

33 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Last weeks mock had us trading down to 8 and taking Chase.  

42 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Ok.

If I'm the Jets, and I believe in Darnold, I'm not posting mock drafts right now.  This was 2 days ago:

I get what you’re saying but I just think you’re reading too much into it/allowing your own wishes to affect your opinion.  It’s a different mock draft from a different expert each week.  This week is Fields at 2, last week Chase at 8, week before that Wilson at 2.  The social media dept is simply showing all the options we’ve all been arguing over for months....no more no less.

6 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

I get what you’re saying but I just think you’re reading too much into it/allowing your own wishes to affect your opinion.  It’s a different mock draft from a different expert each week.  This week is Fields at 2, last week Chase at 8, week before that Wilson at 2.  The social media dept is simply showing all the options we’ve all been arguing over for months....no more no less.

Maybe re: reading too much into it.  I just don't think if you believe in your QB, you publicly post speculation about drafting his replacement.  

But, I'm definitely not allowing my own wishes to cloud my thinking.  Because, in general, what I want is irrelevant to what I think the Jets will do, as I usually think the Jets will do the dumbest thing possible in any given scenario.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

I dunno. Hard to believe a team committed to their QB/most important position would allow their social media team to do that. Or it's just a deep fake or the Jets arent overly organized. 

Nothing has changed. Douglas was candid and has been ever since what happened with Jamal (he and Gase received some criticism for not necessarily being truthful with the media, wonder if he's trying to depart from that). Jets will evaluate the QBs at their pro days, reconvene with coaches and scouts to determine final evaluations, compare those evaluations with their evaluation of Darnold, weigh offers for both Darnold and the #2 pick, then make a decision. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, football guy said:

Nothing has changed. Douglas was candid and has been ever since what happened with Jamal (he and Gase received some criticism for not necessarily being truthful with the media, wonder if he's trying to depart from that). Jets will evaluate the QBs at their pro days, reconvene with coaches and scouts to determine final evaluations, compare those evaluations with their evaluation of Darnold, weigh offers for both Darnold and the #2 pick, then make a decision. 

Do you think there’s any chance they trade Darnold and the pick?

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

good angle of thought there. A fresh start just seems best for both sides even if NYJ isn’t completely ready to commit to the next option yet. Take the 2nd round pick and make it count on offense for the next guy.