Curry signs With Jets

Vinny Curry Signs With New York Jets

By: David Latham, Managing Editor | March 24, 2021

Vinny Curry

Longtime NFL veteran edge defender Vinny Curry signed a new contract with the New York Jets. Curry, a one-time Super Bowl champion, spent the 2020 season with the Philadelphia Eagles and has also played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Vinny Curry, New York Jets, Agree to Contract

Thanks to an early-season injury and a positive COVID-19 test, Vinny Curry only played in 11 games last year. However, the 32-year old still managed to make a positive impact when on the field. Overall, Curry made three starts in his 11 games played while recording three sacks, 16 tackles, three tackles-for-loss, 10 quarterback hits, and one fumble recovery. Overall, he was his usual, solid but unspectacular self and finished as the 39th-best edge rusher in football, according to Pro Football Focus.

Curry initially entered the league as a second-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. Selected by the Philadelphia Eagles, Curry hardly played as a rookie. In total, he appeared in just six games while recording nine tackles, one tackle-for-loss, and no sacks. Despite the slow start, Curry developed a larger role as his career progressed and had arguably his best season in 2014. Appearing in all 16 games, Curry recorded a career-high nine sacks to go along with 19 tackles, seven tackles-for-loss, 11 quarterbck hits, and a staggering four forced fumbles. While he never matched those heights again, he remained a crucial part of the team and played a sizable role in Philadelphia’s championship 2017 season.

Following his Super Bowl victory, Vinny Curry signed a three-year, $23 million contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. However, the Marshall product couldn’t live up to the expectation associated with the deal, recording just 2.5 sacks, 21 tackles, five tackles-for-loss, and seven quarterback hits while appearing in only 12 years. The Buccaneers decided to cut bait after one year, and Curry landing back in Philadelphia for 2019.

• Upvote 1

Eagles free agency 2021 tracker: Vinny Curry signs with Jets | Which Philly players have yet to be signed?

Updated 4:24 PM; Today 4:16 PM
Vinny Curry

Former Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Vinny Curry has agreed to join the New York Jets.AP

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

Vinny Curry is headed to the Meadowlands.

Following a two-year reunion stint with the Eagles, Curry signed with the Jets on Wednesday, the team announced. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Curry signed a one-year, $1.3 million deal.

Curry, according to Rapoport, has incentives built into the contract that make can it grow to $2 million.

Curry, 32, is coming off a solid season, as he produced 15 tackles and three sacks in 11 games as a rotational pass rusher.

The Neptune native was an Eagles second-round pick in 2012. He has spent all but the 2018 season with the Eagles during his nine-year career.

Curry’s lone season outside of Philadelphia was spent with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After a forgettable season in Florida, Curry returned to the Eagles in 2019 and produced five sacks as a rotational lineman.

Curry is the fifth Eagles free agent to sign elsewhere this offseason.

18 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Signing a veteran lineman now is better than drafting one next month. No problem whatsoever with that.

Quinnen and Lawson are the only longterm guys on the DLine.  I still see them drafting an Edge rusher this year.  Probably not in the first two rounds but there's some value in rounds 3 and 4.   I'd rather have the 9th best Edge guy and take him Round 3 than use a 1st rounder on the 3rd best.  The talent seems to flatten out a bit.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Quinnen and Lawson are the only longterm guys on the DLine.  I still see them drafting an Edge rusher this year.  Probably not in the first two rounds but there's some value in rounds 3 and 4.   I'd rather have the 9th best Edge guy and take him Round 3 than use a 1st rounder on the 3rd best.  The talent seems to flatten out a bit.

Quite possible. And you’re right, there are some interesting mid round gambles that can be made. I think the point is that Joe is clearing the way to spend the early part of this draft on the offense. There’s no need to spend early on the DLine. Maybe corner is worth an early-ish pick, but everything else is O heavy.
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Good move. Quality player who can still get to the QB. This is the most confidant I've felt about our pass rush in a long time. We finally have some talent on the EDGE. 

EXACTLY....

You  can hear the naysayers, but what this does is give a little bit more in the pass-rush in case we can't find a good enough one in the draft, or Zuniga doesn't improve.

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Our DL is downright ELITE at this point.  And it was prior to Curry.

I don’t think we’re appreciating enough just how good this unit will be. 

Rankins pushed us over the top. QW is ready to explode and Lawson will be our best FA signing in a decade.

This defense will keep us in every game. CB’s will be fine imo.

It's amazing how much better CBs can look in a zone system that rushes 4 and still gets to the QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

Quite possible. And you’re right, there are some interesting mid round gambles that can be made. I think the point is that Joe is clearing the way to spend the early part of this draft on the offense. There’s no need to spend early on the DLine. Maybe corner is worth an early-ish pick, but everything else is O heavy.

This is a great post!!

Now get alter the picture where I get killed and I give you all the props in the world!!! :) 

• Haha 1