If you were a star college QB why would you WANT to be picked in the first ten?

Wit

Just now, Wit said:

Sure, they make more money initially, but bust potential of a QB being picked higher in the draft is more likely. The potential income over a career is better if you go to a well run organization. 

Look at the average career earnings for top 10 picks vs. non top 10 picks 

• Upvote 2

It's not about the slot, it's about the team/organization that selects you.

You want to go to a well-run team that will support you.

You do not want to go to a team that is poorly run and consistently fails to build around or support their QB's, to the point that such failure is almost a a meme.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It's almost as if what they want matters?  Elway and Eli successfully navigated themselves towards a team they preferred.  I wonder if Lawrence could have pulled that off if he had wanted to.  But for the most part, it's a "you are playing here for the next few years" situation and what you want doesn't matter at all.  So given that, the best thing for these guys is to say how excited they are to play in "xxx".

I can't think of a better way to start a career than Mahomes.  If I was a star QB, I'd value career longevity and organizational stability above all else.  He got both in being drafted by Reid and the Chiefs.  Yeah.  You want to get the most $$$ you can coming our of the gate.  But if you are that good and can bank on your ability... that second contract can grow exponentially based on a few factors. 

10 - 15 is where I'd want to go.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Wit said:

Sure, they make more money initially, but bust potential of a QB being picked higher in the draft is more likely. The potential income over a career is better if you go to a well run organization. 

If it were me and my ambition was to be an NFL QB I’d want to be the best QB, and would want to be picked 1st, **** the past I got confidence in myself let’s go.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I can't think of a better way to start a career than Mahomes.  If I was a star QB, I'd value career longevity and organizational stability above all else.  He got both in being drafted by Reid and the Chiefs.  Yeah.  You want to get the most $$$ you can coming our of the gate.  But if you are that good and can bank on your ability... that second contract can grow exponentially based on a few factors. 

10 - 15 is where I'd want to go.

I agree with QB, but everyone else wants big money before their body is toast 

One can argue that the better strategy is to trade down when you are a bad team to accumulate alot of draft picks to build the team up and let QBs like Fitzpatrick be your QB, and then when you are in the middle of the pack trade an enormous number of draft picks to trade back up to take a QB when your roster is ready (relying on FAs and the rookie QB contract).

Maybe that is what the Dolphins are doing, letting Tua be their Fitzpatrick after actually playing Fitzpatrick.  I don't think Tua is the answer.  

GIF by yvngswag

The 1st overall makes more than  3x as much over 4 years than pick 32. Most QBs fail. If I’m going to fail, I’d want it to happen with $25-30M in my bank account. The guys picked in the top 3 are getting really large signing bonuses up front. It drops pretty drastically after the first 5 picks.

Plus, if I was as good as some of these kids, I’d mostly definitely think I could turn around a franchise by myself.

Second chance, top picks will always get a second chance and possibly a 3rd chance at success. The lower the pick, the less chances you get.

If the Jags, bucs or dolphins are picking the QB in the top 10 it's a far more attractive location than say the Jets because of the zero tax rate. I read somewhere TL will make an extra $4m on his rookie contract because the jags have the first pick instead of the jets.

I'd love to see it equal for all teams where the cap is adjusted for each team dependant on state tax.

Because if I'm going to want to make a name for myself, what better way than to take that team and make them better with my play. Take for example the JETS... Seriously, I might feel different if JD or Saleh/LaFleur weren't here, but Darnold aside, Zach has a chance to be legend in this town if JD builds a good team around him and he turns out to be the best of the bunch. I'm not saying that is going to be the case, but if I'm a QB and think I'm good, then I'm going to do everything in my power to make this team better. For as much as I liked Sam, I don't think he had the temperament to be great here.

19 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

If it were me and my ambition was to be an NFL QB I’d want to be the best QB, and would want to be picked 1st, **** the past I got confidence in myself let’s go.

Exactly you get to that level as a top pick largely because of cockiness, the kind that has you believing that you can be the player who turns it around.  You look at the NE, NO, KC etc of the NFL and how those teams where shlt shows in the days before Brady, Brees and Mahomes came in and led the change.  

42 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Lamar Jackson gets drafted by the Jets he’s a bust.  Lamar Jackson gets drafted by the Ravens who have a great roster, head coach and front office management - he succceeds

That’s why you don’t want to be drafted top 10

Yeah, sounds true but you have no idea this is true.

But does sound like you

54 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Lamar Jackson gets drafted by the Jets he’s a bust.  Lamar Jackson gets drafted by the Ravens who have a great roster, head coach and front office management - he succceeds

That’s why you don’t want to be drafted top 10

We haven't done anything with a QB no matter where we pick....  a crap organization is a crap organization.

If you are an athlete, particularly a superior athlete, most of them do not care about where they go. They just want to be recognized as one of the best, and then act as a catalyst and a difference maker for an organization. It is the fulfillment of a dream, one that they have worked for the majority of their young lives where they have been in competition with similarly skilled athletes and been ranked at their positions the entire time.. 

To be recognized as one of the very best, and for the first time (well, at least for the majority of them) to be rewarded significantly, is a dream come true. The pettiness begins once they turn pro.

20 hours ago, nycdan said:

It's almost as if what they want matters?  Elway and Eli successfully navigated themselves towards a team they preferred.  I wonder if Lawrence could have pulled that off if he had wanted to.

Elway had a contract offer, for good money with a signing bonus to play for the Yankees.  Eli was lucky in that SD had the option of trading the whining baby for Phillips who was as good a prospect and got picks back along with Phillips.  

Dont think Lawrence would have been successful without the leverage Elway and Eli had

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

If you are an athlete, particularly a superior athlete, most of them do not care about where they go. They just want to be recognized as one of the best, and then act as a catalyst and a difference maker for an organization. It is the fulfillment of a dream, one that they have worked for the majority of their young lives where they have been in competition with similarly skilled athletes and been ranked at their positions the entire time.. 

To be recognized as one of the very best, and for the first time (well, at least for the majority of them) to be rewarded significantly, is a dream come true. The pettiness begins once they turn pro.

I would argue that being picked top 10 is part of being recognized as being the best.

They play to be the best, and the best get picked first. Those who do not get picked first often see it as a knock on their ability because they see themselves as being better than the guys who got picked before them.

• Upvote 1