Zach Wilson Ranked Among Worst NFL Starting Quarterbacks For 2021 Season

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-zach-wilson-ranked-among-worst-quarterbacks-2021-nfl-season

Zach Wilson Ranked Among Worst NFL Starting Quarterbacks For 2021 Season

He may be the No. 2 overall pick, but Zach Wilson still has a lot to prove at the next level.

PFF recently ranked all 32 starting quarterbacks and Wilson, set to embark on his first NFL season, was ranked 30th. The only other signal-callers listed below him were Jalen Hurts of the Philadelphia Eagles and Drew Lock of the Denver Broncos. 

Here's PFF's Bruce Gradkowski with more on Wilson's ranking among the worst quarterbacks in the league.

Wilson is as natural as it comes at throwing the football. He also brings the type of athleticism and off-platform throws we see from the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He had the highest single-season passing grade of the PFF College era (95.5). Only 13.6% of Wilson’s throws beyond the line of scrimmage were deemed uncatchable this past season, the lowest rate in the FBS. The big question will be how fast he can learn the playbook and adapt to the speed of the game. The biggest adjustment for young quarterbacks is how fast the pocket collapses — and making good decisions while it happens.

ADVERTISING

Wilson showcased his eagerness and commitment to get acclimated to Robert Saleh and Mike LaFleur's system in his first few press conferences with the media since getting drafted. That doesn't mean the adjustment to the next level will come easily, though.

At the very least, the Jets are striving to avoid the same narrative that held Sam Darnold back during his tenure in green and white. New York added a few targets at wide receiver in free agency (namely top target Corey Davis) before bolstering the offense even further with the additions of Alijah Vera-Tucker, Elijah Moore and Michael Carter in the draft.

Ranking 32 starting QBs when several of them have never played a down in the NFL is definitely a silly exercise.

That said, if they're going to do it, it seems only reasonable to rank the rookies toward the bottom of the list. What ranking do people feel that Wilson should have gotten instead?

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

Ranking 32 starting QBs when several of them have never played a down in the NFL is definitely a silly exercise.

That said, if they're going to do it, it seems only reasonable to rank the rookies toward the bottom of the list. What ranking do people feel that Wilson should have gotten instead?

Agree ranking rookie QBs who have never taken a snap against guys who have played many games is inherently a silly and frankly worthless exercise.

I just think this sort of ranking reeks of bias -- something tells me that if the Jets drafted Fields and the 9ers took Wilson (who they loved) these aren't the rankings.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agree ranking rookie QBs who have never taken a snap against guys who have played many games is inherently a silly and frankly worthless exercise.

I just think this sort of ranking reeks of bias -- something tells me that if the Jets drafted Fields and the 9ers took Wilson (who they loved) these aren't the rankings.

Fair enough.

PFF's QB rankings have never been worth a damn, frankly. Ahead of the 2018 draft, they had the QB class ranked in this order:

Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson
Mason Rudolph 
Josh Allen

So....yeah. Not sure where their "advanced analytics" failed them on that one. You'd think such an elite brain trust of stats nerds could've seen Lamar Jackson coming, or could've projected Josh Allen higher than Mason freaking Rudolph.

• Upvote 1

and even funnier...the verbiage explaining the ranking actually sounds like he should have been higher. 

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Here's PFF's Bruce Gradkowski with more on Wilson's ranking among the worst quarterbacks in the league.

Wilson is as natural as it comes at throwing the football. He also brings the type of athleticism and off-platform throws we see from the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He had the highest single-season passing grade of the PFF College era (95.5). Only 13.6% of Wilson’s throws beyond the line of scrimmage were deemed uncatchable this past season, the lowest rate in the FBS

• Upvote 2

Ridiculous.  No one knows for certain whether this kid can perform.  No one.  But JD and Robert Saleh know a lot more about football than I do and I would bet they know a lot more about football than the person(s) who wrote that article.  They made the decision that they have a better shot with Wilson than Sam Darnold.  I watched the Jets draft a young, exciting QB 56 years ago and enjoyed watching his development which culminated in a Super Bowl,  Hoping that history will repeat itself.  Remember, until they start playing real games, its all BS

• Upvote 1

So lets recap their logic.

Wilson was the best in college.

It has to determined how quickly he will absorb the playbook of a NFL team.

As is the case for every college QB.

Yet hes somehow behind Lawrence for what reason, theyre guessing Lawrence will and Wilson wont.  I get they're the only 2 college QBs we know will be starting so no Fields, Lance or Jones 

Stupid offseason nonsense to get clicks

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So lets recap their logic.

Wilson was the best in college.

It has to determined how quickly he will absorb the playbook of a NFL team.

As is the case for every college QB.

Yet hes somehow behind Lawrence for what reason, theyre guessing Lawrence will and Wilson wont.  I get they're the only 2 college QBs we know will be starting so no Fields, Lance or Jones 

Stupid offseason nonsense to get clicks

Yet, still higher than Sam last year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Pay less attention to the dickbeaters. 

@Bronx

Another dickbeater: Zach Wilson Ranked Among Worst NFL Starting Quarterbacks For 2021 Season

Please refer to the section, Masturbation after 50, from the living healthier and stronger lounge topic.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Except that's not what they did.

What they did was rank all starting QB's.  Which may also be a silly exercise, but it's one done all the time, every year.

What would you prefer, they just leave the Jets and Jags off the list then?  Because no one here would be offended by THAT either, amirite?  LOL.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So where would you rank Wilson then?  Specifically?  What is the "not biased" ranking for Wilson?