Jets/Eagles Joint Practice 8/24

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

Right now the Jets starters are going up against another teams starters in these joint practices and don't seem to be doing well, they should be doing well against another teams backups in the games...

And you know that when we play starters against starters we wont do well how?

Because of tweets from a scrimmage from a crystal ball?

10 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

before my 1st ever football practice back in high school...I drank a quart of chocolate milk and ended up puking. I know what becton is going through. 

I puked behind the dugout after running the bases on a 90+* day.  And it wasnt from being out of shape, maybe from not hydrating enough, but not from being out of shape back then.

Ive seen others do it too.  Who was the little return guy we drafted from Miami who puked on his first day of practice?  Was it the one who was shot a few back and died?

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, viffer said:

You do realize that is not saying much. Couldn't be more negative signs then there were in the Gase era.

Exactly. I didn't think I was being that controversial saying that things are looking up from Gase. I take small progress a month in as a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

This was in High school?!?!? ?

Actually that was overseas and not that long ago, but when I was in high school they would say "water is for pussies."  Then some poor kid died (not at my school, just somewhere in the US) and we were immediately forced to drink whether we wanted to or not.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

Unfortunately Cimini just reported on ESPN Radio that Bechton may have taken a hit to the head and they are looking at possible concussion.  Might be cause of the puking.  If I recall last year Q Williams had the same thing happen.  Any more injuiries and I'm gonna be the on that pukes?

That is not good news if he vomited due to a concussion. That could put his week one status in doubt if he goes into concussion protocol.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Barkus said:

That is not good news if he vomited due to a concussion. That could put his week one status in doubt if he goes into concussion protocol.

The concussion thing may be a cover to keep people off Bectons back. He didn't go into any treatment on the field. I think he just overheated. It was ugly hot and muggy in the bright sun.  Even in shape guys were tapping themselves out and taking a knee....having water dumped down their backs, wet towels on necks, etc.  Becton is massive and wrapped in full gear. I can see heat exhaustion playing a role. Surprised he was the only one to be honest. I had to spring for two bucket hats for my son and I just to get through the two hours.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Thankfully opening day is a couple of weeks away, that extra week between the 3rd preseason game and the start will be a saving grace if hes concussed

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I remember coaches telling us we were going to "run suicides until we puked."  The kid that made himself puke didn't have to buy a drink the whole year. 

One of my favorite lines from our coach was "Ya'll run til I get tired"  

• Haha 4

Left tackle Becton latest Jet to leave with injury

Jets left tackle Mekhi Becton is the latest starter to suffer an injury as the second-year player was evaluated for a concussion during a joint practice with the Eagles on Tuesday and did not return.

cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Dick Semen-i ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets injury report: LT Mekhi Becton left practice with a possible concussion. He had a head-to-head collision on the fourth play of the 11-and-11 period, appeared woozy and vomited on the sideline. CB Brandin Echols (hip) also left practice. Players that returned: WR Elijah Moore, LG Alijah Vera-Tucker and CB Jason Pinnock. "It was kind of like Christmas, we got a few guys back," Robert Saleh said. Still out: TE Ryan Griffin (hamstring), DT Sheldon Rankins (leg) and WR Denzel Mims (hip).

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

before my 1st ever football practice back in high school...I drank a quart of chocolate milk and ended up puking. I know what becton is going through. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I puked behind the dugout after running the bases on a 90+* day.  And it wasnt from being out of shape, maybe from not hydrating enough, but not from being out of shape back then.

Ive seen others do it too.  Who was the little return guy we drafted from Miami who puked on his first day of practice?  Was it the one who was shot a few back and died?

Joe McKnight RIP 

Pouring concrete at work one hot humid day like today my co-workers decided about 9am they were going to make a milk shake run to Burger King.

I said no I'm good I have a cooler full of water. 

They spent the most part of the day vomiting and sh*tting their brians out both ends paid the price. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

The Redskins last year ran more of a power scheme. This is a zone blocking scheme. Fant might be a better fit based on that scheme.

And in 2009-2010 when we also ran a zone blocking scheme under Bill Callahan, Damien Woody was 32 and 33 years old @ 6'3 330 lbs and flourished @ RT.

Here in 2021 Morgan Moses is 6'6 330 lbs and will absolutely flourish @ RT.

Morgan Moses is our best RT since dating back to AFCCG(s) Damien Woody and it's not even close. 

10 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

And in 2009-2010 when we also ran a zone blocking scheme under Bill Callahan, Damien Woody was 32 and 33 years old @ 6'3 330 lbs and flourished @ RT.

Here in 2021 Morgan Moses is 6'6 330 lbs and will absolutely flourish @ RT.

Morgan Moses is our best RT since dating back to AFCCG(s) Damien Woody and it's not even close. 

Now Callahan is a big proponent of ZBS?  Everybody runs some ZBS, but I am pretty sure the Jets and Callahan ran as many power schemes as anybody.

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Now Callahan is a big proponent of ZBS?  Everybody runs some ZBS, but I am pretty sure the Jets and Callahan ran as many power schemes as anybody.

What are you talking about? Bill Callahan was notorious for Zone Blocking schemes. 

Look at my username.  I remember 2009 and 2010 under Rex Ryan like yesterday. 

You don't remember? Well. I do.

Evolution of outside zone runs turned NY Jets into anomaly in pass-first league

Updated: Jan. 18, 2019, 11:13 p.m. | Published: Jan. 01, 2010, 12:28 a.m.

Evolution of outside zone runs turned NY Jets into anomaly in pass-first league

Updated: Jan. 18, 2019, 11:13 p.m. | Published: Jan. 01, 2010, 12:28 a.m.

image.png.6568d05d68267b2ca2279f086b709e31.png

They fool you on every play, baiting the overzealous, embarrassing the overaggressive and slipping through cracks you never knew existed.

When they do it just right, you look silly.

The science of zone blocking may not be overly complicated, but the latest addition to the Jets playbook has put Rex Ryan’s team on the precipice of a playoff berth.

The Jets’ top-ranked rushing attack (166.6 yards per game) has leaned on a design built on offensive linemen blocking areas rather than single defenders as running backs run parallel to the line of scrimmage before choosing a crease to slip through.

Offensive line coach Bill Callahan’s decision to expand the team’s zone-blocking repertoire this season with more outside zone plays — linemen running as wide as the tight end’s position on the field — has paid dividends in the past two months.

“In the beginning of the year, we weren’t as good at it,” right guard Brandon Moore said. “We were still getting a feel for it. As we’ve gone along, it’s become our staple.”

The evolution of outside zone runs during the season has had a tangible effect. Thomas Jones, who admittedly didn’t care for the new wrinkle early on, averaged 3.7 yards per carry in the first five games. After grasping the nuances of outside zone runs, Jones averaged 4.6 yards per carry over the next 10 games.

“It’s a transition,” said Jones, the league’s fourth-leading rusher (1,324 yards). “Once we (practiced) it and we had some success, that’s when we started to buy into it. Now we’re a zone team.”

The Jets’ run-heavy offense, which averages a league-high 36.7 attempts per game, is an anomaly in what has become a pass-first league. Eight of the 10 teams that have clinched a playoff spot rank in the Top 10 in passing. The Jets are 30th.

“As an offensive lineman, it’s a way to impose your will on another team,” Moore said. “The attitude of this team is run the ball and play defense. That’s all I ever asked for. That’s a recipe for a great team.”

The primary difference with outside zone runs lies in a running back’s wider “landmark,” or ultimate destination, before a decision needs to be made. Offensive linemen must be even more in sync since zone designs require more combination blocks. They need to “stay on their track” to fulfill their assignment, Moore said.

On any given play, running backs are presented with a front-side read, back-side read and “hit it right now” option that requires them to keep it simple: find immediate daylight and burst through a hole.

According to Jones, the running back moves “sideways,” or parallel to the linemen, who flow in one direction in unison. The secret to the outside-zone style’s success is to let opponents do all the heavy lifting.

“It’s an illusion,” said Jones, who on Sunday will face the Bengals’ second-ranked rush defense (87.7 ypg), which has allowed only four teams to top 100 yards this season. “Instead of making the defense come to where you want them to go and then blocking them, you let the defense take themselves out of the play and you react. If they over-run it, you cut back. If they stay back, you stay front side.”

The flexibility of zone schemes allows Jones and rookie Shonn Greene to make more reads. Fullback Tony Richardson, an integral part of the Kansas City Chiefs’ dominant zone-blocking system in the first half of the decade, also helped.
“There’s not a (pre-determined) hole where if they blitz it or stunt it, it’s closed,” Pro Bowl left guard Alan Faneca said. “The hole may be between the right guard and tackle or it could just be behind the tackle. It gives the running backs a chance to find a window.

The scheme also exploits “really fast flowing defenses,” said Greene, who thrived in a zone-blocking scheme at Iowa.

“Get them running one way,” Greene said, “and then you can cut off that.”

Callahan plucked elements from successful zone-blocking teams of the past and showed video clips to his linemen in the offseason.

“We took little pieces from a bunch of different teams and made it into our own,” Mangold said.

Faneca spent 10 seasons in a big gap-trap, man-blocking system in Pittsburgh before learning to block more at an angle to move guys around and create running lanes rather than simply driving through them straight on. After a brief adjustment period, the unit began to gel. So, the number of zone-blocking calls increased.

“Once the proof was out there that we were starting to get it,” Faneca said, “that’s when the coaches opened the door a little bit and started getting a little more creative with those packages.”

ZONE BLOCKING  = 2009-2010 JETS @#27TheDominator

4 hours ago, KRL said:

I'm now convinced fans enjoy negative practice reports more than games where the
team actually plays well

I think there is a lot of “laugh to keep from crying “.  going on. 

It seemed a week ago that maybe just maybe this year would be different and it’s like already over. 

gallows humor if you will

• Upvote 2

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Vinny Curry's curious time with the Jets took an unexpected turn, as he was placed on the reserve/non-football injury list. Previously, he was on the active/NFI list. With this move, Curry is done for the season. The Jets signed him to a one-year, $1.3M contract, thinking he could be a situational pass rusher. He underwent an undisclosed procedure in the offseason and never stepped foot on the field. Recently, Robert Saleh said they expected him back around Week 2. That ain't happening.

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Why do you always have to spam the page with videos and long ass articles? It's ******* annoying.  Please write another 80,000 word essay on what your name means,  "Defense Wins Championships ", like we're all ******* idiots. 

duh...DWC.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Why do you always have to spam the page with videos and long ass articles? It's ******* annoying.  Please write another 80,000 word essay on what your name means,  "Defense Wins Championships ", like we're all ******* idiots. 

Tell him to get off his high horse!!!! LOL ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Vinny Curry's curious time with the Jets took an unexpected turn, as he was placed on the reserve/non-football injury list. Previously, he was on the active/NFI list. With this move, Curry is done for the season. The Jets signed him to a one-year, $1.3M contract, thinking he could be a situational pass rusher. He underwent an undisclosed procedure in the offseason and never stepped foot on the field. Recently, Robert Saleh said they expected him back around Week 2. That ain't happening.

NYJ's 2021 free agency signings are going swimmingly.