If Jets go 3-14 or worse does Joe Douglas get fired

If Jets go 3-14 or worse does Joe Douglas get fired?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. If Jets go 3-14 or worse do we throw Snow Joe away?

• Yes - He's led the worst stretch of Jets football
    • No - we need to be patient. Mac left him a mess.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2021 at 04:00 PM

The record isn't the litmus test I would use. If Zach looks like a FQB in the making and Jets go 1-16 then JD should get more time. If Zach looks like garbage and we squeak out a couple extra wins, that is worse.

However, there is basically a 0% chance JD is gone after this season under any circumstances. Too many years/too much money left on his contract is one factor. Also, he has only had two drafts in the most complicated period for player evals in NFL history. I am not enthused by his draft record thus far, but the book is not closed on the 2020 class and has just been opened on the 2021 class.

His FAs have been legit bad but Corey Davis exceeding say 1,100 yards and 10 TDs would go a long way to remove that stench. JD should not escape criticism for failing to secure a legitimate backup QB, though. If Zach goes down, it's another lost year for our skill players and would be a total, inexcusable waste of a season.

He was a legit candidate, well-respected and sought-after. Now if we are at the end of the year and Zach is such a bottomed-out bust and it's obvious to all that Jets need to draft another QB, then me personally I wouldn't give JD another shot in consecutive years to pick the next savior.

But I think we need to be realistic. He's here for at least another year. All we can do now is hope that Zach shows "it" over the course of this season. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Does Snow Joe get another mulligan if 2021 is another hopeless/terrible Jets season? I've read a lot of post that suggest Joe is safe no matter what happens in 2021. It doesn't seem very forward thinking to allow a GM with a such poor track record in both the draft and free agency to continue to put his handprint on this franchise. That would be a disservice to the next GM the Jets hire. We have a lot of draft picks and cap space ready to be used after this season...I think we could get good GM candidates who would want Saleh as their head coach. 

You are the definition of knee jerk thinking. JD does NOT have a bad track record in the draft. No one is perfect but he has been miles better that Idzik or Maccagnan give me a break. Keeping this revolving door open is the way NOT to build an organization. over 85 % agree in this poll.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

You are the definition of knee jerk thinking. JD does NOT have a bad track record in the draft. No one is perfect but he has been miles better that Idzik or Maccagnan give me a break. Keeping this revolving door open is the way NOT to build an organization. over 85 % agree in this poll.

Explain to us JD's good track record. Yes, we know he traded Adams. Please expand beyond for the audience. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, jgb said:

The record isn't the litmus test I would use. If Zach looks like a FQB in the making and Jets go 1-16 then JD should get more time. If Zach looks like garbage and we squeak out a couple extra wins, that is worse.

I agree with that, but if we go let's say 2-15, I can't imagine Zach looks like a FQB. Our defense and special teams didn't look that bad yesterday. If we had a competent veteran quarterback we might be 1-1 or dare I say 2-0. Jets have been downright terrible offensively through the first 2 games. I expected growing pains, but not this kind of ineptitude from the offense. Feels like Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains are still running the offense.

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I agree with that, but if we go let's say 2-15, I can't imagine Zach looks like a FQB. Our defense and special teams didn't look that bad yesterday. If we had a competent veteran quarterback we might be 1-1 or dare I say 2-0. Jets have been downright terrible offensively through the first 2 games. I expected growing pains, but not this kind of ineptitude from the offense. Feels like Adam Gase and Dowell Loggains are still running the offense.

This defense is not very good. Remember, this is not your father's Patriots. They have a very game managerial rookie at their helm. It's going to be ugly when we face a legit QB. If Zach turns it on, I can see us losing some high scoring (by Jets historical standards) games. It is indeed possible for Zach to look like a FQB and our record to suck.

Crazy.  It's almost like JD has been giving out mostly 1 year prove-it contracts to people for he past 2 years, clearing out the horrible contracts we used to give out to anyone dumb enough to sign here.  Now that he has been clearing out the old contracts and killing the dead space, he can then build the team back moving forward.  But who has patience for that?  MAX CONTRACTS TO ANYONE!

Parcells brought in all "his" guys.  That was great, it kinda worked until VT crumpled to a heap in game 1 of the year we were going to win it all and Parcells decided that Rick Mirer was the way to go for half the season...

• Sympathy 2

I don't think so....

He was given a 6 year contract, and most of us had us winning about 3 games this year anyways. Everyone in Florham Park knew this would be a heavy rebuilding year, because IMO they want to maximize their draft capital for 2022. I think it was an extreme blunder not to play a Vet QB to start the season, but we'll see how the team progresses. 

His seat doesn't truly get hot until 2022. If we aren't ready to get into the playoffs in 2023 I think he's gone then. Hopefully for everyone's sake this draft class and next year's lives up to their potential because I'm sick of cleaning house every 4 years like a presidential election. This has to stop at some point!!! 

• Upvote 4

IMO you should wait until week 8. After that you'll start to see a lot with the team like whether it's improving or regressing or flatlining. Jets could finish 3-14 but 3 of those might come in the final 9 games, with some of the losses being close and decided in the 4th. To me that might show the team is starting to come together and just needs another draft and FA period to get to that 9 or 10 win level.

Defense seems to be playing ok right now so if the offense can improve and sustain drives without turning it over things will start looking very different

• Upvote 2

Simple answer is no.  He'll get at least 1 more year.  I think more important than the record, is the progress of the team.  Are they getting better as the year moves on.  This latter point is the more important aspect of the team.  If the answer ultimately is no, then we have more serious issues with talent and coaching than expected and JD will be on very thin ice the next year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

a great excuse joe created to buy himself more time and to get folks to believe this is year one -it is not-he has been getting paid three years -during that time he should have been building the teams talent but he didnt-he missed on his first draft and brought in terrible free agents like perriman and his awful FA on the Oline.

Those FA signings were all short term deals for stop gap players. Outside of Corey Davis and Lawson, we haven’t really seen JD sign anyone that’s really apart of the long term plan. Those signings will come but not until this team has a good core. I’ve been following this team for over 20 years now and I’m just as frustrated as many but this season was probably the lowest of expectations that I have had for a team that I can remember. The writing was on the wall, the team was gutted, new coaching staff, rookie qb. Those aren’t excuses, those are facts. This has always been a throw away season meant for the youngest team in the NFL to gain some experience. People who wanted to see a competitive team this year, especially this early into the season, weren’t being realistic. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

It’s hard to answer that question because a lot depends on how they develop during the year.  There’s a reason Douglas wanted a 6 year deal.  This team has been destroyed by Idzik and Mac.  There aren’t many guys left from even 3-4 seasons ago.  I view last year as the first year of Douglas and this is his second.  

It has been so frustrating to watch the Jets play for the past 11 seasons.  To give them the proper overhaul is going to take a couple seasons.  As fans it’s hard for us because we have become sick and tired of losing.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I think we could get good GM candidates who would want Saleh as their head coach. 

I’m hopeful that the Jets are done arranging marriages. My thinking is that they’re riding & (if need be) dying with JD, Saleh, and Zach for at least three years together. I just don’t see them firing JD to match a new GM to Saleh. It’s a dumb idea that they’ve tried and failed with too many times. 

The big problem with the Johnsons is that they listen too much to the press and fans and make knee jerk moves as a result. Fortunately, a lot of the recent chatter has been asking them to keep hands off and let their football people run the football business. In JD & Saleh, they have maybe their best hires ever (they inherited Parcells). Certainly the most well respected league wide, and the first time in forever I can recall the team hiring their first choices. Saleh had his pick of jobs and chose to work with Douglas. They’re gonna ride this out, imho, despite the unavoidable whining. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Explain to us JD's good track record. Yes, we know he traded Adams. Please expand beyond for the audience. 

Traded Leo. Brought CJ Mosley back. His secondary of late round misfit toys is playing passable. Though losing most of the talent he brought in on defense to Injury that played passable yesterday. Him bringing in Moses might be the greatest thing he’s fine as a gym. Can you imagine what this line would look like out Becton Softed out? Whole season of the first game offensive line play. Other than possibly being worst drafter of all time he’s been loose stool solid.