Draft 3 Late Round CBs + Cut Bless Austin + Ignore O-line depth = Incompetence

JazzyJet

Guys, there have been way too many excuses for JD, his draft defies logic. As others have pointed out, he should have been focused on getting a Center, many of us were calling for some of the many available mid-late round centers. Instead he drafts 3....three...THREE late round CBs and proceeds to CUT one of the only 2 vets on the team. This is just asinine roster mismanagement. I'm so tired of the excuses. It was obvious to me when it happened that this was a stupid strategy. Similar to how it was obvious to everyone that Gase was a terrible hire when it happened.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 2

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The OL and secondary were fine yesterday. If Wilson plays replacement level football, everyone would be praising Douglas for his ability to rebuild multiple units on the fly despite a slew of injuries

Yep, said it before. We should have a semi-ok vet back up. Could have pulled Zach out after third pick and possibly still won that game. 

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'll repeat my big beef with Douglas's drafts.  Not double dipping in the strong parts of each draft.

His 1st one there were a lot of good mid to late round Wr prospects, he took only Mims who is now riding the pine so to speak.  He should have taken another Wr from that draft.

From this past draft, it was good for olineman and he only took AVT, he could have picked another guard or better yet a center prospect instead of one of his many DB's/small lbs

I and others here wanted JD to double dip at WR and OL in his first draft (with his first four picks). I was hoping for 3 OL total in that draft.  He had two third round picks and solid choices there, but went with a "draft a little bit of everything" strategy.  Ugh.

• Upvote 1

And if the Jets drafted OL instead of CBs, this thread would be about how JD ignored CBs.  How many holes can be filled with 15 draft picks when the roster has 53 players??  The WR depth is fine now.  How can you say OL line depth was ignored when it was addressed in free agency last  year and this year?  How did Moses end up on the team?  This is a year 1 of a multi year rebuild. You don't just buy a center in a store like a gallon of mild or a loaf of bread.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

The CBs have been good thus far, so that's a plus point for Douglas.

The oline could do with more depth, but has suffered injuries/retirals with guys like Lewis and Clark that JD was probably relying on. We do need another Center.

The fact that the 3 CBs drafted have been serviceable is not really the point. The point is he used 3 picks on the one position, and failed to address o-line depth, even without the bad luck with injuries and retirements many of us were clamoring to add interior linemen depth. 

This is what makes cutting Bless bad, not that he stinks or that Echols is better, but he wasted draft capital in one place that was much needed to build depth elsewhere.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bless Austin should still be on this team he played well enough to be part of this roster in 2021.

JD seems to be on a power trip and only wants the players he drafted or signed. 

Drafting all these hybrid LB/CB/S how's that working out. 

How way or no way. 

Hey @Skeptable  GET A LIFE 

New coaches deep six players who don’t fit their schemes and prejudices.  They want their own guys.  See Denzel Mims.

Not particularly fair, but it’s the way it is.

• Upvote 1

Bless Austin should still be on this team he played well enough to be part of this roster in 2021.
How way or no way. 
Hey [mention=28616]Skeptable[/mention]  GET A LIFE 

Bless Austin is awful

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

Guys, there have been way too many excuses for JD, his draft defies logic. As others have pointed out, he should have been focused on getting a Center, many of us were calling for some of the many available mid-late round centers. Instead he drafts 3....three...THREE late round CBs and proceeds to CUT one of the only 2 vets on the team. This is just asinine roster mismanagement. I'm so tired of the excuses. It was obvious to me when it happened that this was a stupid strategy. Similar to how it was obvious to everyone that Gase was a terrible hire when it happened.

What you actually called for at the time:

We have to build a legitimate oline before getting cute:

2. Obviously has to be ZW at this point

23. Jenkins or Vera Tucker

34. Wyatt Davis or Humphrey

then take BPA value players at RB, WR, TE, LB, EDGE and CB after that as they drop

Seems JD went with your ideas mostly.

2. You wanted Zack, we got Zack

23. We traded up to 14 to make sure we got Vera Tucker.  Jenkins didn't go till Pick #39

34. Jets took Elijah Moore, a very popular pick at the time and throughout camp.  WR was a need, even on your list.

Humphrey went 63rd, Davis went 86.  You valuing them at 34 seems like perhaps a reach in that moment.  And by those points, we had no picks to use, spent to get Vera Tucker, who you valued higher.

JD then took:

107. Michael Carter RB (you had RB as your first BPA).

Then the run on CB's, some of whom we seemed to like as LB'ers.  

No TE.  No Edge (we signed Lawson for that).

Generally speaking, aside from Center, it sorta looks like JD was pretty much in line with your thinking.  

With all that said, JD could have stood pat at #23 I suppose, and gone with:

1. Zack (QB)

23. Jenkins (Tackle)

34. Davis or Humphrey.

And then scavenged WR, RB and CB later.

You think this makes a big difference now, honestly?  If we did the three above, are we materially better today do you think?

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I and others here wanted JD to double dip at WR and OL in his first draft (with his first four picks). I was hoping for 3 OL total in that draft.  He had two third round picks and solid choices there, but went with a "draft a little bit of everything" strategy.  Ugh.

Although it was in the 4th round, that pick of Captain Morgan still has me scratching my head....  I'm sure there were plenty of players picked after him who are contributing to NFL teams in some capacity, meanwhile Morgan is... who the hell knows where he is. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

23. We traded up to 14 to make sure we got Vera Tucker.  Jenkins didn't go till Pick #39

34. Jets took Elijah Moore, a very popular pick at the time and throughout camp.  WR was a need, even on your list.

Humphrey went 63rd, Davis went 86.  You valuing them at 34 seems like perhaps a reach in that moment.  And by those points, we had no picks to use, spent to get Vera Tucker, who you valued higher.

JD then took:

Generally speaking, aside from Center, it sorta looks like JD was pretty much in line with your thinking.  

1. Zack (QB)

23. Jenkins (Tackle)

34. Davis or Humphrey.

You think this makes a big difference now, honestly?  If we did the three above, are we materially better today do you think?

Creed Humphrey has been fantastic and would be an absolute difference maker on this line. He may have been a reach slot-wise, but the way he's performing he looks like a steal at this point. I didn't want Elijah Moore, he was and is a luxury on a team like ours with so many holes and much needed depth. I also wouldn't have paid the cost to trade up for AVT, so in my scenario we'd have had a couple of 3rd round picks and done much better depth-wise.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

JD then took:

1. Zack (QB)

23. Jenkins (Tackle)

34. Davis or Humphrey.

also, 3 CBs is a lot different than TE, EDGE, LB depth that I wanted, that we absolutely need right now. We could have kept Bless and drafted two CBs and I wouldn't be complaining as much.

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

How way or no way. 

Hey @Skeptable  GET A LIFE 

The guy has always been insufferable. For every post he makes, he gives 10-20 thumbs down’s to other people’s posts.

I don’t understand how he gets away with it.

• Upvote 1