Rex Ryan's Take On Robert Saleh

SoFlaJets

I do agree.

Just look at Saleh on the sidelines, something's going on.  They were down 10-0, moving the ball - still in the game...but if you looked Saleh on the sideline he already looked defeated.  Was very strange.
I'm not giving up on the guy and think he was dealt a bad hand here - but it does feel like something external is happening.
When he tried to challenge the catch by Crowder and was told he couldn't win, it truly looked as if he was about to cry... it's only been 9 games but it's been scary bad

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Not surprised. Rex is all hot air and a clown. I will take the demeanor and character of Robert Saleh and how he represents himself and the Jets over what Rex Ryan turned into 100 X over .

We may be the worst team in organized sports but Saleh sure does give good demeanor.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I do agree.

Just look at Saleh on the sidelines, something's going on.  They were down 10-0, moving the ball - still in the game...but if you looked Saleh on the sideline he already looked defeated.  Was very strange.

I'm not giving up on the guy and think he was dealt a bad hand here - but it does feel like something external is happening.

i think its Saleh realizing he has to take over as DC for his friend. and if he really likes his friend he will do it soon before JD does it and fires the guy. and that poor guy doesn't want to be known as the DC of the worst defense maybe in NFL history. he would neve get a DC again.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh’s got some enemies, man. Coaches don’t pile on each other like this. The way other teams feel free to run up the score on the Jets, and these weekly comments from the talking heads really makes you wonder if anyone respects Saleh at all. My guess is he pissed a lot of coordinators off by filling out his staff with his underqualified buddies.

Oh yeah if there's one thing we know about Rex it's that he's a tight lipped, conservative guy that doesn't pile on anyone.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

this would never happen with Rex. he was the DC. he took great pride in it.

Bart and the boys said this on the post game.

Saleh is married to this scheme. they don't change anything. they keep doing the same thing hoping it works.

he also said Rex would never do that. he was always changing stuff.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, doitny said:

Rex was one of our best HCs. say what you want about the team he coached, but Rex coached them up. 

now Rex as a GM was a different story. 

we all know Rex wants his job back. would it surprise anybody Woody got sick of these coaches and brought back Rex. he loved Rex. 

Bingo!

That's what Rex's tirades against Saleh are all about.  As pointed out above, Rex has been a Jets' fan since he was a kid.  This was his dream job.  He got close to the SB twice, and his team got old.

I'm usually the last guy off the HC train.  Just don't think it's productive with one and done HC's, but this team is really badly coached.  

Rex is right on this, so far Saleh looks like all slogan, "all gas, no guts", and no meat.  

Rex is also right that Woody loved him, "I'm not here to kiss Belichek's rings".  

When Gase was fired, someone suggested they bring Rex back.  I laughed at the time.  Never thought it would happen in a million years.  Right now, think it's still very unlikely, but won't be stunned if Johnson does something dramatic Like re-hire Rex.  

This is embarrassing.   175 points in 4 games?  C'mon.  Team seems to be playing with no pride.   I can't remember even the Jets being this bad before.

We'll see what happens here, but a few more 40+ point beat downs, something strange could happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Yea but Baron, how is it that no matter who gets signed as the GM, the same stories always seem to emerge about the new GM who is "afraid to spend money on good players". When will people finally realize that it's not any of the GM's decision on whether to cut a check for a top tiered FA, those checks aren't signed by Joe Douglas, they have the Johnsons and Johnson logo on them, that's who say yes or no. The only player that the Jets really went after and got was Brett Favre.

You actually believe that no matter the GM the Jets never spend money on top dollar FAs?  
Bart Scott, Revis, T Johnson, Curtis Martin etc etc?  Forgetting the years we’ve had little cap space because of the high payroll?  We may not spend on the right players but really?  The idea here is for the first time in decades we build a team with the draft and develop the young players an have  long term success.  Kind of like most people said we should do them as usual lose patience and want to sign older FAs so they can complain that they signed for the money 

How many big time, expensive FAs have we seen over the years in the Pats, Steelers, Bills now, etc? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Rex took over a DC Greg Williams Bills 4- 3 team. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2014.htm

Rex is a 3 - 4 guy and tried converting the same 4 - 3 personnel over to a 3 - 4. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2015.htm

Transitioning to a totally new schemes hardly ever goes smooth. So, when the 2014 4th ranked Bills defense turned into the 2015 Bills 15th ranked defense under Rex, that did not exactly line up with what Rex had promised. IIRC, Buffalo put on a primer Super Bowl parade when Rex got to town.

Rex is guilty of making grandiose promises, but he never got 2 full seasons as the Buffalo HC. Thats BS.

So he takes over a team with the 4 th best defense and his coaching reduces them to the 15th ranked defense and you defend that?   He is a defensive coach and his defense sucked.   If you dont coach to the strengths of your players you dont deserve the job.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

it's not any of the GM's decision on whether to cut a check for a top tiered FA, those checks aren't signed by Joe Douglas, they have the Johnsons and Johnson logo on them, that's who say yes or no. The only player that the Jets really went after and got was Brett Favre.

but the problem with that is there is no salary cap. if the cap is 200 mil, then thats all JD can spend. he cant ask Woody for more. 

why would Woody care if you want to give someone 40 mil a year or give 40 mil a year between 4 players? 

i think we spent all but maybe 10 mil which is about standard in case of injuries or trades you need some cap space in season.

23 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Bingo!

That's what Rex's tirades against Saleh are all about.  As pointed out above, Rex has been a Jets' fan since he was a kid.  This was his dream job.  He got close to the SB twice, and his team got old.

I'm usually the last guy off the HC train.  Just don't think it's productive with one and done HC's, but this team is really badly coached.  

Rex is right on this, so far Saleh looks like all slogan, "all gas, no guts", and no meat.  

Rex is also right that Woody loved him, "I'm not here to kiss Belichek's rings".  

When Gase was fired, someone suggested they bring Rex back.  I laughed at the time.  Never thought it would happen in a million years.  Right now, think it's still very unlikely, but won't be stunned if Johnson does something dramatic Like re-hire Rex.  

This is embarrassing.   175 points in 4 games?  C'mon.  Team seems to be playing with no pride.   I can't remember even the Jets being this bad before.

We'll see what happens here, but a few more 40+ point beat downs, something strange could happen.

you know what i can definitely see happening, we take another lose or 2 by 40-50 points and he fires Saleh and brings in Rex to finish the season. then if Rex gets the defense to improve and the whole team to play better he would be offered a contract.

if Woody snaps like half this fan base does on a weekly basis who is going to coach the team? some rookie coach on staff. nah he goes to the guy he loves to bail him out. and believe me Rex can talk him into a contract for a few years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BallinPB said:

1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 6th.  Those were the defense rankings for the Jets under Rex. 

This year we are last.  

That defense with the players Rex inherited in 2008 was 16th.  

So say what you want about Rex's overall coaching style but his defenses always came ready to play.  

Embarrassing we are last in the league even though we are young, we have good enough talent up front to not be as bad as we are.  

And then he lost his probowl NT early in the season. Twice. 

I enjoyed the run while it lasted, but I've no interest in putting a 60 year old child back on the coaching staff. Only way I could be behind it at all is if he agreed in advance he was only coming for a few months and then would willingly disappear - since I do think they'd play better, at least on defense, in the short term like a shot in the arm. But that's not him. I'd like to ride the wave on the way up, but know when to get off.

It's kind of cool that he's still passionately supportive of this franchise almost a decade after they fired him, like any fan here. None of the other national tv commentators gaf that the Jets suck, they just say it matter of factly like Alexa telling you today's weather. "Today is Sunday November 14th, and the Jets suck. Would you like me to remind you again next week?"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pac said:

We may be the worst team in organized sports but Saleh sure does give good demeanor.

Do you not judge a leader partially on character? 

Rex Ryan early on gave the finger to a fan. Showed me that he had thin skin allowing  some idiot fan in the stands to get under his skin.

How did that turn out? Rex became a laughing stock.

Robert Saleh has a long way to go as far as being a complete successful HC

At the very least, up until the present Robert Saleh has shown character in adversity, to have thick enough skin for NY by not responding to idiot fans (or Rex Ryan) for that matter.

Rex couldnt handle it.  Its why he took his clown show to ESPN

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

Rex Ryan early on gave the finger to a fan. Showed me that he had thin skin allowing  some idiot fan in the stands to get under his skin.

At the very least, up until the present Robert Saleh has shown character in adversity, to have thick enough skin for NY by not responding to idiot fans (or Rex Ryan) for that matter.

that giving the finger to a fan thing sure sounds a lot worse than it actually was, it was a Dolphins fan who was giving him sh*t in the off-season in a Miami titty bar

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

the bolded lol u are nuts

what u want out of a coach is to win that is it

the majority of the high end coaches in the NFL are terrible character guys -BB being a perfect example of this-known cheater on and off the field

• Post of the Week 1

Maybe some of you other posters have not had the same forced proctology examination of being a Jets fan, but Rex Ryan was a Joke!

Do you not remember how bad his teams were the last 4 years of his tenure?

Do you not remember his postseason press conference where he said he's going to dedicate himself to the Offensive side of the ball, only to come back at the preseason press conference and say that he's a Defensive coach, and he's going to stick to that side of the ball?

Yes Rex Ryan definitely livened up the place. But it just got worse and worse over time. I mean.. everything about it! How many OC's did we have!?

What was more blatantly abusive was how Woody hung him out to dry year after year and then hiring John Idzik!?

Then Captain clown shoes takes a job as the Buffalo Bills head coach, has his truck wrapped and changes his tattoo. Whoa what a deep thinker!

He was out of there before a pumpkin could rot between Halloween and Thanksgiving. You guys actually want him back!? The dude that you're giving all the props to as an OC for Kaepernick and Lamar Jackson was fired mid season under Rex Ryan!

Granted it was a helluva hello!!! Yes two AFC championship games.. and we lost them both!

Have you ever listened to this idiot talk? And all that, and those sort of things, and stuff, and things like that? And that sorta thing... And I'll tell you this right now!? Revis..blah,blah,blah!

I've met burlap sacks that are smarter than Rex Ryan...lol!!!

Saleh is coaching his 10th NFL game with the youngest team in the league. Give the guy a chance?

Rex Ryan spiraled downward miserably and Woody Johnson beat him like a pinata by keeping him around. It was very hard to watch.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh’s got some enemies, man. Coaches don’t pile on each other like this. The way other teams feel free to run up the score on the Jets, and these weekly comments from the talking heads really makes you wonder if anyone respects Saleh at all. My guess is he pissed a lot of coordinators off by filling out his staff with his underqualified buddies.

This is a good point. You still holding AMC?

56 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And then he lost his probowl NT early in the season. Twice. 

I enjoyed the run while it lasted, but I've no interest in putting a 60 year old child back on the coaching staff. Only way I could be behind it at all is if he agreed in advance he was only coming for a few months and then would willingly disappear - since I do think they'd play better, at least on defense, in the short term like a shot in the arm. But that's not him. I'd like to ride the wave on the way up, but know when to get off.

It's kind of cool that he's still passionately supportive of this franchise almost a decade after they fired him, like any fan here. None of the other national tv commentators gaf that the Jets suck, they just say it matter of factly like Alexa telling you today's weather. "Today is Sunday November 14th, and the Jets suck. Would you like me to remind you again next week?"

Oh I don't want him back either.  Let's leave the past behind us but he definitely cares about the franchise and has the right to talk sh*t about Saleh's defense.  That's my point.