Rex Ryan's Take On Robert Saleh

SoFlaJets

1 minute ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Saleh is coaching his 10th NFL game with the youngest team in the league. Give the guy a chance?

Oh I want to give Saleh a chance but when you are trotting out a historically bad defense, it's hard to give him much breathing room especially when you come from the defensive side of the ball.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh’s got some enemies, man. Coaches don’t pile on each other like this. The way other teams feel free to run up the score on the Jets, and these weekly comments from the talking heads really makes you wonder if anyone respects Saleh at all. My guess is he pissed a lot of coordinators off by filling out his staff with his underqualified buddies.

You're counting Rex as part of the coaching fraternity?  I liked Rex, you didn't, but the guy has never gone along with everyone else.  If people were piling on Saleh for any reason other than "he deserves it" Rex would probably be sticking up for him. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Something is up, if you listen to Saleh press conference after the game he sounds SAD AND DEFEATED ALREADY 

he was that way a few weeks ago... and his team feeds off the negativity.  I wanted him but man was I fooled.  This team is as unprepared as some of Rex's, ToddB and AG teams were but what is really galling, ay least to me, is they play unemotional and uninspired.

• Upvote 2

As Greenbloodblitz clearly reminds us, Rex was HORRIBLE those last few years, and I for one do NOT want nor do I think that we can go back in time and make Rex Ryan automatically have the level of players that he had those first few years that he was here. He like Gase, like Bowles,  and like Edwards had to go. Eric Mangini was the one time that Woody Johnson exerted his presence as the owner and was so angry after that loss to Chad's Dolphins that he made Tannenbaum fire the guy at 3 in the morning. Is there another more clear example of how ill-equipped Woody Johnson is as an owner than that night? Mangini shouldn't have gotten fired for missing the playoffs.  Remember Ryan hiring Tony Sporano as the OC that year after he got fired from the Fins?

• Upvote 3

As Greenbloodblitz clearly reminds us, Rex was HORRIBLE those last few years, and I for one do NOT want nor do I think that we can go back in time and make Rex Ryan automatically have the level of players that he had those first few years that he was here. He like Gase, like Bowles,  and like Edwards had to go. Eric Mangini was the one time that Woody Johnson exerted his presence as the owner and was so angry after that loss to Chad's Dolphins that he made Tannenbaum fire the guy at 3 in the morning. Is there another more clear example of how ill-equipped Woody Johnson is as an owner than that night? Mangini shouldn't have gotten fired for missing the playoffs.  Remember Ryan hiring Tony Sporano as the OC that year after he got fired from the Fins?

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I really don't  think the running up the score is against the HC. The D can't  stop anyone and the games get out of hand early third qrt. Do tou expect the other team to lay down for an entire half?

No, but I

don't expect teams up 30 to toss bombs and go for 2 with 5 minutes left. ? 

Saleh HAS CLEARLY rubbed the NFL Coaching Community the wrong way somehow. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Former Jets coach Rex Ryan is not a Robert Saleh fan. On ESPN NY's DiPietro and Rothenberg Show: "This guy is supposed to be a defensive guru. I take it personal on this one. Everything I heard was, this guy is a lot like myself, but without the bad part. Well, some of the bad part you need. This team doesn't play with any damn heart. Don't ever compare compare this guy, this Robert Saleh to me."

rex sure wants to be the HC of the NY jets again lol

• Upvote 2

My big disappointment is the level of energy he showed as a coordinator has been completely absent as a HC.  He just stands there like Bowles, blank stare, no emotion.  Don't expect the team to be winning this season, but you expect all these young guys to play their asses off.  They just don't.  Rex is right in that regard.  The earlier posts referring to Saleh not being respected across the league probably holds some weight.  He is an outsider and likely doesn't understand the politics of navigating the league circles as a HC.  There may very well be something he did behind the scenes that set the wrong people off.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, doitny said:

but the problem with that is there is no salary cap. if the cap is 200 mil, then thats all JD can spend. he cant ask Woody for more. 

why would Woody care if you want to give someone 40 mil a year or give 40 mil a year between 4 players? 

i think we spent all but maybe 10 mil which is about standard in case of injuries or trades you need some cap space in season.

The salary cap is not payroll. Big time players demand a big signing bonus. The bonus is spread out over the life of the contract for the cap, but comes out of Woody's pocket at signing.

As far as Saleh getting fired, I'd be shocked. Woody is not going to be paying three coaches salary's at once. Saleh is safe at least until the Gase contract comes off the books

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Viermoo said:

The Rex haters completely perplex me. He took a team with very sub par QB to two straight AFC title games and then his team got stripped of talent. What available coach would do a better job than him?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I didn't hate Rex, but he did it to himself... He threw Sanchez out in a meaningless preseason game to win the Heidi bowl, or whatever it's called for the best team in NYC. He tried to insert himself as GM with Tanny which eventually got him fired, because he didn't know how to pick players. If Rex just coached this team he was handed, maybe it would have been different, but maybe not, because we all know Mangini was the brains behind the GM of the NYJ...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i will say that rex had jet green flowing in his veins.  he didn't do the team any favors with his draft suggestions but he mostly got this team ready to play.

Your kidding right?  There were many times his teams were out coached, out played and flat out never showed up for games,,, How about the time they played the Bills when the bills were flown in to Detroit, I think,  and they got blow out,,, please he is a blowhard and a really sh*tty HC.... 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

My big disappointment is the level of energy he showed as a coordinator has been completely absent as a HC.  He just stands there like Bowles, blank stare, no emotion.  Don't expect the team to be winning this season, but you expect all these young guys to play their asses off.  They just don't.  Rex is right in that regard.  The earlier posts referring to Saleh not being respected across the league probably holds some weight.  He is an outsider and likely doesn't understand the politics of navigating the league circles as a HC.  There may very well be something he did behind the scenes that set the wrong people off.

Good post 

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

So he takes over a team with the 4 th best defense and his coaching reduces them to the 15th ranked defense and you defend that?   He is a defensive coach and his defense sucked.   If you dont coach to the strengths of your players you dont deserve the job.

Change takes time. Rex isnt a 4 - 3 coach.

His success with the Ravens was with the  3 - 4 and the Jets went to consecutive AFC Championships in the 3 - 4. The 15th ranked defense does not suck. Its still better than 17 other teams.

Rex is right. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, NamathToSauer said:

The salary cap is not payroll. Big time players demand a big signing bonus. The bonus is spread out over the life of the contract for the cap, but comes out of Woody's pocket at signing.

As far as Saleh getting fired, I'd be shocked. Woody is not going to be paying three coaches salary's at once. Saleh is safe at least until the Gase contract comes off the books

first off im honored you just joined to talk to me. or create an alt...

i always thought like you that Saleh was safe for a while but if these crazy 40-50 point games keep happening and guys like Rex and Greeny are killing Saleh publicly which will add more as the loses pile up he might just snap and fire him.

the signing bonus is just getting your money early. if a player wants a 20 mil signing bonus all that is is Woody laying out 20 mil for your contract. now when you spread it out its like 5 mil a year. thats 5 mil a year less money Woody pays cause you already got your money.

Rex doesn't seem to understand they were both hired by the Jets to be the HC, as opposed to a glorified DC. This is also Saleh's first year as HC whereas Rex greatly benefited from nepotism, and strong rosters to get where he got. Saleh's team needs to improve, but remember it's year one for Saleh. Ask Rex if he left the team better off than he got it...

6 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Lol...

Rex Ryan took a team to two straight championship games with a roster of vets he largely inherited, riding on the back of one of the greatest CBs in the history of the game.  It didn't take any defensive genius to tell Revis to go cover the best player on the other side of the ball. 

After that he was an utter failure as a head coach. 

I wonder how he would have done with this roster of rookies and castoffs. 

Rex took two good teams and utterly destroyed them, turning them into the type of mess that Saleh inherited.