#4 and #10 - who you got…

12 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If I were a betting man I’d say JD wants to trade back from both spots unless Hamilton slips back into that 10 range

if thibs, hamilton, and hutchinson are all gone at 4 i believe he will trade back.  Otherwise he will stay put in that range and take one of them unless he is provided a really good offer to move down.  

10 is the spot I see him wanting to trade down.  Good spot where someone may want to trade up to grab the 1st WR off the board, or QB.  I believe he would try to move down into the mid teens and see what is there. 

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

respectfully, what does it matter? We need a center. The fck does it matter if that comes from round 1 or 2 or 3. We're drafting a center. we drafted a OG, and he looks as advertised. 

I understand the emotional frustration, but your post is pretty empty. We have 5 picks or something in the first 90 picks or so. Who cares what order it's in so long as they deliver. They'll be a C, a WR, DE, a S/CB and TE in all likelihood. 

Namaste

spot on. and the only thing that changes is maybe no WR if a FA goes a certain way.  or atleast not one in that first few picks range. 

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

respectfully, what does it matter? We need a center. The fck does it matter if that comes from round 1 or 2 or 3. We're drafting a center. we drafted a OG, and he looks as advertised. 

I understand the emotional frustration, but your post is pretty empty. We have 5 picks or something in the first 90 picks or so. Who cares what order it's in so long as they deliver. They'll be a C, a WR, DE, a S/CB and TE in all likelihood. 

Namaste

I agree that ultimately if the guy can play (e.g. the next Mangold) then I won't mind if he's considered "overdrafted".  But I have to repeat that the Giants pick #5 and #7 and they need OL so, unless we take him at #4, I don't think we're getting him.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree that ultimately if the guy can play (e.g. the next Mangold) then I won't mind if he's considered "overdrafted".  But I have to repeat that the Giants pick #5 and #7 and they need OL so, unless we take him at #4, I don't think we're getting him.

Agreed.  And as much as I like Linderbaum, he isn’t worth a top 5 pick.  

Jameson Williams at 4. 

Not sure who will still be there at 10, but I would have no problem taking Charles Cross, Tyler Linderbaum, or even Nakobi Dean with that pick. 

I usually wouldn't support drafting a center or linebacker that high but we have two top 10 picks and if both Linderbaum and Dean are as good as people say they are, I'd be fine drafting one of them at 10. Karlaftis won't be available at 10. 

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Sure, but this draft is top heavy at edge and we haven’t had a legit edge in forever. Just seems like a fit 

Of course I agree with you.  But I'll just go back to the point that it's only a fit if the guy ends up being good.  It won't do us much good to draft a guy with a lot of hype who ends up being mediocre (or a bust).

• Upvote 1

man folks love hyping up our terrible roster-we have holes just about everywhere -there is a reason we won 6 games in two seasons-stop with the nonsense

pick one take the best WR on the board-moore is legit -Davis is trash, Kole is trash , crowder is trash- Mimms is trash-berrios has heart and would be a good WR3

Pick Two take the best edge rusher on board

I cant believe folks are talking about safety or corner early -did we not already try that and fail miserably 

We need to stop the savior mentality. This class has a number of 1st round level talent at edge, WR, corner and OL.

If I’m JD, I’ll first be calculated in FA. Get players at FS, CB and TE that fit our system. Possibly have a class of Quandre Diggs FS, Donte Jackson CB, and David Njoku TE.

Then in the draft, I’d go

#4: best available edge. Likely Karlaftis

#10: best available WR. I like a few of them at this spot but let’s say Drake London.

Then I’m trading (both 2nds) to get back into the first round for one of Linderbaum, Ekwonu (unlikely not to be there in the mid teens), or Green.

The rest of the draft can be used on LBs, S, TE, and RB.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HawaiisOnlyJetsFan said:

For me, he is the most complete WR in the class. Best route runner of the bunch, great speed and YAC ability. Has multiple years of production to back it up. My only concern is he is a similar player to Elijah Moore, but he is versatile and fits the scheme well.

Olave is a burner and is an excellent route runner, but lacks the YAC ability and physicality I feel is needed in our offense.

I like Williams alot and think he may end up being the guy from the class. Elite speed and good route runner, just scary with only one year of actual production, but he has all the tools. Needs to refine his route running, but can run the full route tree. Would be my second choice.

Burk (see alot of people wanting him) is big and physical, but isnt a great route runner. YAC monster though, I get it people envision him as our Deebo. He doesn't run the full route tree and doesn't get alot of separation, but good speed for his size and great at contested catches. Also for a big guy, in all the film I've watched doesn't give alot of effort as a blocker.

Great breakdown HOJF. Will definitely look into this player (and others mentioned) a bit more 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

We need to stop the savior mentality. This class has a number of 1st round level talent at edge, WR, corner and OL.

If I’m JD, I’ll first be calculated in FA. Get players at FS, CB and TE that fit our system. Possibly have a class of Quandre Diggs FS, Donte Jackson CB, and David Njoku TE.

Then in the draft, I’d go

#4: best available edge. Likely Karlaftis

#10: best available WR. I like a few of them at this spot but let’s say Drake London.

Then I’m trading (both 2nds) to get back into the first round for one of Linderbaum, Ekwonu (unlikely not to be there in the mid teens), or Green.

The rest of the draft can be used on LBs, S, TE, and RB.

these are the 2 biggest needs and the jets are well positioned to address both of them.  

1) I hope we can trade back - but this draft is unfortunately similar to where we stood in 2019. We have a top pick, but there is no QB that screams mortgage your future and move up. If we trade back from 4 - we'll either have to do so for a significant discount to the trade value chart/past trade ups since there is no QB. As long as we don't drop beyond 15-18 range I actually think I'd do it for a second and maybe a mid round pick next year. 

2) We need to be aggressive in free agency. If we can walk away with at least three certifiable starter/stars at LB, S, CB, WR, Edge, TE - it will free us up tremendously in the draft. 

3) While need & player rankings point more towards defense in round 1 - I don't see Douglas going defense/defense. Douglas should be smart enough to know that he will be safe next year if Zach takes the leap. An 8-9 finish with Zach thriving next year will be enough to save his job. An 8-9 finish with Zach struggling may not. Whether you agree with the philosophy or not, we still need to build around ZW. 

4) This draft really sucks for the Jets. The blue chip players are all at positions of lower value (Center, safety, and potentially LB depending on your thoughts on Dean/Lloyd - I love both). Trading back is one way to mitigate this - another way is to either trade picks or swap picks for established players. If for example Marcus Williams gets tagged - I'd love to see the Jets move back from 4 or 10 and swap with NO. 4 implies a value of pick 18 - 10 implies a value of pick 50.. I think he'd be somewhere in between so may have to include more picks - but the theory remains. If we picked at 10, 19, 35, 38, and 49 (NO second rounder) - we could probably walk away with a haul of Sauce Gardner, Treylon Burks or Jermaine Johnson, Trey McBride, Daxton Hill, and Alec Lindstrom. I'd much rather have that than pick at four. 

Probably pass-rusher with the 4th pick, as those guys will fly off the board. Right now, I'm thinking Karlaftis is the most likely best fit from a scheme, value and need perspective.

With the 10th pick, we should be able to get a very good WR or OL.  

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Is there a reason he didn’t get many sacks then?

I don’t know

But he didn’t have the talent around him that guys like Hutchinson and Thibodeaux had.

Ojabo could be a Top 10 pick and Chris Hinton will probably be a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Thibs played with Dorlus who can play every position on the DL and is a potential star in the making.

I don’t really care too much about the sack numbers. It’s all about how these guys translate to the next level. Karlaftis is a freak athlete for his size, has crazy natural strength and is known for a tireless work ethic.

As people have already said, none of these dudes are Nick Bosa, Chase Young or Myles Garrett.

But someone earlier brought up a Ryan Kerrigan comparison for Karlaftis as if that’s a bad thing. The dude was a 12-13 sack a year player in his prime and strong against the run. I’d happily take that.

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

No way.  Its bull rush or just try to run around the guy.  

Hand Counters: How many moves does Karlaftis have? How much time you got? I love the versatility he brings in this regard. He’ll win with all of your traditional moves, some of which are more successful than others. I do think he’s a little spin happy at times and doesn’t always have the crease needed to work into space and gain ground after using it. But his power conversion and bull rush are excellent and his jab does a lot of the work for him; given the power his hands provide and the respect they command, he’ll hit or sweep a punch away with good timing as he flashes the inside arm. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

Hand Counters: How many moves does Karlaftis have? How much time you got? I love the versatility he brings in this regard. He’ll win with all of your traditional moves, some of which are more successful than others. I do think he’s a little spin happy at times and doesn’t always have the crease needed to work into space and gain ground after using it. But his power conversion and bull rush are excellent and his jab does a lot of the work for him; given the power his hands provide and the respect they command, he’ll hit or sweep a punch away with good timing as he flashes the inside arm. 

Yeah, ill have to disagree.  I have watched him plenty.  Don’t see many moves at all.  

On 1/9/2022 at 8:14 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Becton is not a tackle? Ok, nice talking to you. 

Becton is too heavy to play tackle. That was obvious in training camp when he was getting destroyed daily by Lawson. People forget how utterly bad he was in training camp this year.  Move him inside and put him in a phone booth and they'll max out his potential and not have to worry about his weight constantly. 

He had a very good rookie season followed by an awful offseason and training camp. Promptly followed by injuries and weight issues that kept him out all year.

Moving him inside is an idea that needs to be explored based on his weight and injury issues. It's easier to plug in a backup RG then it is a backup LT while Becton is on IR again next year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

75% of sacks come from exactly that in my humble opinion. If that equates to 10 + sacks/yr and 15-20 pressures sign me up

He won’t be a 10 sack guy.  Not worth the 4th pick.  He will be another Bryan Thomas or Calvin Pace.  Good player, but not a game changer.