It Really Sucks that We BLEW The Great Receiver Class of 2020

JetBlue

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

Idzik double-dipped with Shaq Evans.  If only...

wasn’t he cut in training camp haha?  Jeez...brutal, everything that guy picked.

Wonder if there are pictures of Idzik in museums around the world banning him.  Maccagnan even more so.

Guard:  Hey what the hell are you doing blowing your nose in that painting?

Idzik/Maccagnan:  I thought it looked like a handkerchief.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

The 2020 draft class will haunt this team for years.

This team has missed on so many drafts in the past decade that one on its own won't haunt them. I'd argue that 2017 and 2018 will haunt will them much more in the long run.

2020 was JD's first time running a draft. It isn't looking good right now. But so far 2021 is looking like a solid draft. At least he's showing improvement. The previous few GMs got worse over time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

20 draft literally set the rebuild back by a year

stinks but it’s reality 

This is absolutely correct.  We would have though year 3 was the competitive year, which is next season.  But it will need to be 2023.   This team has way too many holes, and holes are also created with time.   Only Becton and AVT are OL signed in 2023.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

The Mims debacle is why I really wanted Joe to double, maybe even triple dip at receiver two years ago.

I am looking teams like the 49ers with Both Ayuk and Jennings, Eagles with Raegor and Watkins and just damn it sure would be nice to one those guys on the team.   Even guys like DPJ have contributed to their team on a regular basis.   The number of excellent receivers from that draft are too numerous for me to list here.  The fact that we came away with just one of them chaffed me then, and even more so now.  Of course I don't think anyone could have foreseen how ineffectual Mims would be.   With so many good receivers in that draft, the smart thing to do would to go with the strength of the draft from a talent perspective.  We definitely didn't need to pick a small school developmental quarterback, a punter, running back, especially when their was still mid round talent at receiver going into day 3.  I really hope he learned something from that draft, I really do. 

At any event I really enjoy watching that wr draft class.  They are lot of fun.  I just can't help thinking what if some time...  At this rate 2020 is really not looking too good for Douglass.  He did pretty good this year I think, but really has to hit a home run in this years draft for this team to have hope of having a contending team in two years. 

major camel toe

YES

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Anybody that saw Perine play at Florida in person, like me, knew he was a complete JAG.

Nowhere near athletic enough to be a starting RB.

I have zero idea what the scouts were looking at….  Dreadful.

Hope and pray that was a Gase pick.

I think part of the issue was that the scouting department was still somewhat manned by McCagnan guys because Douglas was hired later in the schedule the year before.  

I loved the Mims picks, so I'm guilty AF because I thought he'd be dynamic.  I don't even think it's a physical issue, it just seems like he doesn't care.  I see no effort at all.  If you give me Claypool/Van Jefferson/Mims as choices while only knowing what you can know at the draft, I still take Mims.  I thought his profile fit the best, but the guy just doesn't hustle.  I don't know why.  

I really wanted DPJ because Michigan limited that guy, kept wishing he'd been picked by us.  

It's also dangerous to go with the draftnik community as well, because I remember Patton being a favorite amongst a lot of draft watchers, and I loved John Hightower.  So not all home runs lol.  

It also hurts that I think Gase wanted a certain type of QB on the roster (vertical passer) because it fits the mold of Cutler, and pre-breakdown Manning.  He probably wanted Morgan because his skillset matched his system, but it just couldn't transition over.  It's the Perine pick that I didn't like as much, we had bigger needs than a limited ceiling running back.  

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Jeez, Joe Douglas shared his first draft with Adam Gase. No one will know exactly how much weight either had but we can assume that it was equal at best/worst. We know that the draft that Joe Douglas had on his own seems to be 1000 X better in a shot sample size. Chin up people

Exactly!! I cant help but believe that Gase was pushing for Mims, Perine, Morgan and even Becton. They all fit HIS offensive scheme. 

10 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Jeez, Joe Douglas shared his first draft with Adam Gase. No one will know exactly how much weight either had but we can assume that it was equal at best/worst. We know that the draft that Joe Douglas had on his own seems to be 1000 X better in a shot sample size. Chin up people

Douglas allowing Gase any influence at all given his performance is a bigger indictment of him than just about anything else. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Douglas allowing Gase any influence at all given his performance is a bigger indictment of him than just about anything else. 

Knowing what we know about GASE and his influence with Woody/Chris at the time, and you blame JD. JD was playing the waiting game his first year here trying to figure things out for himself, and how he could make this his team in the future after seeing the nightmare that GASE was.

• Upvote 1

My feeling has always been that Douglas wanted Van Jefferson, thought he could trade back and still get him, got too cute and got stuck with Mims.

It was a mistake from a Rookie GM. I suspect that work ethic and attitude will be much more key to JD's evaluation on a go forward. You have to hope that Covid/not meeting these guys in person played a factor in Becton/Mims.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Please stop. Yeah, Joe Douglas gets hired because of Gase and is going to immediatly step on his toes when they both have equal power during his first draft. Be realistic

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Please stop. Yeah, Joe Douglas gets hired because of Gase and is going to immediatly step on his toes when they both have equal power during his first draft. Be realistic

Nonsense.

Everyone in the organisation knew Gase was on thin ice heading into 2020. The man was a meme ffs and had already lost the fans. Darnold hadn't shown any sort of progress and it was pretty obvious from JD's other moves that the priority wasn't to win immediately and save his job.

If he was using the Jets long term pieces based on Adam Gase's advice then he's as big a moron as Maccagnan. Listen to yourself. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Nonsense.

Everyone in the organisation knew Gase was on thin ice heading into 2020. The man was a meme ffs and had already lost the fans. Darnold hadn't shown any sort of progress and it was pretty obvious from JD's other moves that the priority wasn't to win immediately and save his job.

If he was using the Jets long term pieces based on Adam Gase's advice then he's as big a moron as Maccagnan. Listen to yourself. 

So for fun sake I will give you this angle 100%. Lets believe the ridiculous notition that Gase was for all intention purposes dead man walking and it was Douglas who was making the picks with ZERO influence from Gase like he was invisible. What exact offensive and defensive scemes was Douglas drafting for?  Did you ever factor in that the players that were drafted by Douglas (and Gase) were for Gase's offensive sysytem or just plain didnt fit Saleh and La Fluer's sceme? Or did Douglas have a crystal ball at the time and knew that he'd be hiring Saleh, LaFluer in the future after firing Gase while conducting his first draft?.

"IF" Behcton returns to the production of his rookie season (I know its a huge reach because no one in the history of Earth's existance have ever lost a few pounds when overweight) and Mims is truly a bust (because having food poising in training camp and COVID in the same season is the equivalent to a hang nail) Douglas will have produced 3 starters from his first draft in Behcton, Hall, and Man with an at worst a depth player in Ashton Davis. 

Four picks in the first 2 rounds, tons of cap space, Berrios, Ward and Quicy Williams off other teams practice squads, UDFAs like Huff, Yaboa, and Guidry. But yeah there is no hope for Douglas, just a terrible GM, the sky is falling.

• Sympathy 2

15 hours ago, Joejet said:

I can’t believe that we drafted John Huarte in the 2nd round of the 1965 draft after we had picked Joe Namath in the 1st round. What a waste of a 2nd rounder when there were plenty of receivers available when we picked.

We also took George Sauer Jr and Pete Lammons in that draft.  

20 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Nonsense.

Douglas absolutely was influenced by Gase for the 2020 draft. 1 by way of needed to draft his scheme fits and 2 by way of not knowing if he'd be there in 2021. I fully believe Perine and Morgan were Gase picks.

At the same time Douglas hired Hogan, Alexander, and Savage when he arrived so his team did the scouting. I will say that the approach is okay with me. I think Douglas knew Gase was going to be short lived and went with high RAS guys that have a better chance sticking beyond the 2020 schemes.

Becton: 9.85

Mims: 9.76

Davis: no score due to injury, but I'd imagine he'd have tested high

Zuniga: 9.75

Just an observation but draft with Gase = F, draft without Gase = Best draft class in NFL. I don't think Douglas has an issue identifying talent because we've seen him find guys by way of trade, UDFA, and waiver claims. I think even with the horrible 2020 draft I still have faith in Douglas and believe he is the right GM for the job.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

My feeling has always been that Douglas wanted Van Jefferson, thought he could trade back and still get him, got too cute and got stuck with Mims.

It was a mistake from a Rookie GM. I suspect that work ethic and attitude will be much more key to JD's evaluation on a go forward. You have to hope that Covid/not meeting these guys in person played a factor in Becton/Mims.

That trade back was used ad nauseum as example of Joe Douglas genius because he traded back and still got the WR that he was in love with.......which never made any sense.  

• Upvote 2

Whilst there are definitely some good wide receivers, the 2020 WR class is loaded with busts all over the place. Jerry Juedy, who 70% of this board wanted says hello. 2021 WR class is better, at least on the top end.

What was the slogan... Take it in the booty for Jerry Jeudy? 

21 hours ago, JetBlue said:

The Mims debacle is why I really wanted Joe to double, maybe even triple dip at receiver two years ago.

I am looking teams like the 49ers with Both Ayuk and Jennings, Eagles with Raegor and Watkins and just damn it sure would be nice to one those guys on the team.   Even guys like DPJ have contributed to their team on a regular basis.   The number of excellent receivers from that draft are too numerous for me to list here.  The fact that we came away with just one of them chaffed me then, and even more so now.  Of course I don't think anyone could have foreseen how ineffectual Mims would be.   With so many good receivers in that draft, the smart thing to do would to go with the strength of the draft from a talent perspective.  We definitely didn't need to pick a small school developmental quarterback, a punter, running back, especially when their was still mid round talent at receiver going into day 3.  I really hope he learned something from that draft, I really do. 

At any event I really enjoy watching that wr draft class.  They are lot of fun.  I just can't help thinking what if some time...  At this rate 2020 is really not looking too good for Douglass.  He did pretty good this year I think, but really has to hit a home run in this years draft for this team to have hope of having a contending team in two years. 

is mims  out with injurey

On 1/16/2022 at 6:30 PM, AFJF said:

This was my single biggest criticism of Joe D after that draft.  So many quality receivers and he takes Morgan and Perine but passed on a bunch of good receivers.

I remember that some folks wanted to rationalize those moves but you, myself and many others knew he had screwed up by not taking another receiver.   I look at guys like Bryan Edwards, Tyler Johnson, Darryl Mooney, Gabriel Davis, DPJ, Quez Watkins, Jauann Jennings, just to name a few who come to mind (there are more) we could used and who were available in the mid to late rounds.  Anyone of those guys would be better than Jeff Smith and cost us less than Keenan Coles.  

On 1/16/2022 at 8:25 PM, RVAJet815 said:

Mims would be a decent player if all he had to do was flys and Go's. LaFleur wants strong route runners. Unfortunately that's not remotely Mims' game. Fortunately, JD has a great chance to take another shot at it. 

I have to agree with this.  Had he gone to another team that tried to utilize his strengths I am sure he would be producing in this league.  That is why I personally have not given up on him as a player.  As a Jet player?  I think that ship may have sailed but I think he can resurrect his career if he goes to the right team.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2022 at 5:43 PM, Beerfish said:

We had a huge need and had the picks, zero reason not to double dip at WR in that draft.  Better teams than us were picking 2 or even 3 wrs in that draft.   Douglas could have saved himself a lot of pain if we had taken another guy later on to take the pressure off the mims pick.

If it makes you feel better, the near-consensus "2nd dip" most JN folks wanted was Gandy-Golden.

Who finished this year on the WFT practice squad.  And has 1 career reception so far.

So if you all still want him, he'd come pretty cheap. Lol.