Let's Start A Rumor ...

KRL

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

CIN OLine gave up 51 sacks in the regular season, got destroyed by TEN in the
playoffs (9 sacks).  And on multiple occasions last night they couldn't pick
up 4th and 1's and struggled to keep Burrow upright.  How about offering them
Becton for their first rounder.  Would you do it???

I would, draft Ekwonu or Cross.  Draft Ojabo with #10.

I just saw a mock draft where we get Thibodeaux at #4 and Ekwonu at #10.  So THAT would be good also.

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I would, draft Ekwonu or Cross.  Draft Ojabo with #10.

I just saw a mock draft where we get Thibodeaux at #4 and Ekwonu at #10.  So THAT would be good also.

I see a more likely draft where we get Ekwonu at 4 and Jermaine Johnson at 10.   If we can pick up a veteran WR through trade or FA, this team is much better.  

The Bengals picking at 31 will almost certainly pick up an OL-the question is who will be around?  OL always go higher than expected.  The top guys will be gone, as will possibly Trevor Penning and Zion Johnson.  Maybe even Kenyon Green.  So the question really is who is left at 31 for the Bengals to take there.   The Bengals are actually ok at T-they need G and C.  

If they like an OL at 31 that is what the Bengals is what should take.  If they don't and want to take a chance on Becton, I would do that trade, although the Bengals would also need to give up their 2 or next year's 2 for him as well.  Extend Fant and then the Jets still need the RG (Ekwonu plays RT).   But at 31, assuming the Jets do not like a RG, the Jets can take a LB, CB, WR or TE.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

I see a more likely draft where we get Ekwonu at 4 and Jermaine Johnson at 10.   If we can pick up a veteran WR through trade or FA, this team is much better.  

The Bengals picking at 31 will almost certainly pick up an OL-the question is who will be around?  OL always go higher than expected.  The top guys will be gone, as will possibly Trevor Penning and Zion Johnson.  Maybe even Kenyon Green.  So the question really is who is left at 31 for the Bengals to take there.   The Bengals are actually ok at T-they need G and C.  

If they like an OL at 31 that is what the Bengals is what should take.  If they don't and want to take a chance on Becton, I would do that trade, although the Bengals would also need to give up their 2 or next year's 2 for him as well.  Extend Fant and then the Jets still need the RG (Ekwonu plays RT).   But at 31, assuming the Jets do not like a RG, the Jets can take a LB, CB, WR or TE.  

Again, I would do the trade because you reset the clock with either Cross or Ekwonu.  They can both play LT, in case you can't resign Fant.  If they resign Moses as well, it would give them depth.  I would then consider a TE at 31, and a guard with one of the 2nd rounders.  I have seen some mocks where Cameron Thomas goes at 32.  IF he was there and we had 31, I would double dip and take him as well. 

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hell yeah, but Cincy would be insane to do that.

We are in primed position to extend Fant or draft Becton's replacement, so this is a no brainer

We’re not drafting his replacement.  Especially for the 31st pick in the draft.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

It would be a massive upgrade for the Bengals. 

Definitely would. I was a Wirfs guy over Becton during that draft bc I thought the floor was tremendously higher with Wirfs (even though Becton has the clearly higher ceiling). Becton could easily go on to be an All Pro linemen every year if he put it all together. But i'd rather not take that risk, and get a redo with the 3 first rounders this year if they did hypothetically agree to this deal.

I do not think the Bengals would agree to this though, at all. 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

If a player I really covet is there at 31 then I'd consider it. I don't think we look to make a move until the trade deadline or after next season though. Becton's value is higher to us than 31 overall, we'll give him an opportunity to come back healthy before moving him.

Other teams like the Bengals don’t have to validate where he was taken, and have no need to gamble their top pick on him.

I could see the Jets getting something like what Leo brought back…. A 3rd and a 4th (which became a 5th). Leo had less time left on his rookie deal, but was way more productive.

Becton is young and immature, but he will grow, get wiser, and ultimately learn how to be a professional athlete. When that happens, we will all be glad the franchise had patience with him. Guys like Becton don't come around very often, huge and athletic. I trust our coaches and GM will push Becton towards being the player he should be this coming year. No, I don't trade his level of talent this early in his career. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TexJet said:

Becton is young and immature, but he will grow, get wiser, and ultimately learn how to be a professional athlete. When that happens, we will all be glad the franchise had patience with him. Guys like Becton don't come around very often, huge and athletic. I trust our coaches and GM will push Becton towards being the player he should be this coming year. No, I don't trade his level of talent this early in his career. 

Stop making sense. There is no place for this. Trade Bechton along with Mims and the guys we draft at #4 and #10 before they have a chance to suck. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

this is a dream. no way they do this. 

i dont think they draft an OL at 31. i think they sign a FA or 2. should be easy since they proved they had an explosive offense. 

they should have no problem attracting the best FAs now. 

50 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Just move him to RG, sign Fant, and draft the best Tackle at 4 for the right side and future Fant replacement for this system (Becton not a system fit more so then being out of shape).  Now your a C away from having a very good OL.

Now do the economy!

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Other teams like the Bengals don’t have to validate where he was taken, and have no need to gamble their top pick on him.

I could see the Jets getting something like what Leo brought back…. A 3rd and a 4th (which became a 5th). Leo had less time left on his rookie deal, but was way more productive.

Zero shot the Jets would trade Becton for less than a 1st. Leo was going into the final year of his deal and we already had his replacement in the building. If a 3rd or 4th were the best offer we'd just hold onto Becton.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Before I read your post, I was thinking the exact same thing regarding a trade to the Bengals.  Becton for #31 and their 2nd round pick as well.  Becton just for #31 is not enough in my mind.

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Becton is absolutely damaged goods until he can spend at least a year or two proving that he can stay healthy,  It is a firing offense IMO for and front office to trade a 1st rounder, even a very low first rounder for him.

If he wasn't damaged goods, the Jets would never trade him for the Bengals 1st round pick. So not sure why it's a fireable offense to take a shot on Becton vs taking a shot on some random college kid who could just as likely not be good. People need to realize that late 1st round picks are a bigger gamble than whatever Becton brings to the table. 

At least with Becton, a team knows that if they can keep him healthy, he can be dominant. Meanwhile, the OL the Bengals take with pick at 31 (if they didn't trade for Becton) could just be average or bad or injury prone....like the last 3 OL the Bengals have taken who lead to the Bengals Oline being as bad as it was Sunday.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If he wasn't damaged goods, the Jets would never trade him for the Bengals 1st round pick. So not sure why it's a fireable offense to take a shot on Becton vs taking a shot on some random college kid who could just as likely not be good. People need to realize that late 1st round picks are a bigger gamble than whatever Becton brings to the table. 

At least with Becton, a team knows that if they can keep him healthy, he can be dominant. Meanwhile, the OL the Bengals take with pick at 31 (if they didn't trade for Becton) could just be average or bad or injury prone....like the last 3 OL the Bengals have taken who lead to the Bengals Oline being as bad as it was Sunday.

I just think that there is zero chance they would do this.  I buy the fact that he would be a dominant run blocker if healthy (huge "if"), but  a dominant or even serviceable pass protector at this level? That  has most definitely not been been shown.

9 hours ago, KRL said:

I actually proposed this several weeks ago. It is practically a 2nd rounder and Cincy not likely to get a higher potential player than Baction, Becton does not seem to fit here, and the Jets would get a very big piece at 31. I would do this in a heartbeat. 

Becton may become an All Pro but he still has so much risk of being a complete bust.