It's Combine Week

section314

17 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He’s started at Guard in college some.  I think the common belief is he could play Guard for a year or two until moving outside.

Great that Penning can move inside.  Didn't know that.

Sorry to push this off-topic.   

If Bechton wakes up.  How is this team going to be able to pay Bechton in 2025, AVT in 2026 and Penning in 2027.   It would be a good problem to have.  I just don't see it.  AVT has already proved he can play.  Bechton is the question mark.  If Zach pans out, then he will get a monster contract in 2026.  Also if Moore stays healthy and does what is expected he needs to be resigned in 2025.

This team has not drafted a 1st round wide receiver since Moss.  No edge player worth anything since Abraham/Ellis.  I don't think you can have all your cap in the O-line.

Then again to contradict myself.  A great QB and O-Line can win many games.  Even with average skill positions. 

We will have a better picture in 2 weeks.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Great that Penning can move inside.  Didn't know that.

Sorry to push this off-topic.   

If Bechton wakes up.  How is this team going to be able to pay Bechton in 2025, AVT in 2026 and Penning in 2027.   It would be a good problem to have.  I just don't see it.  AVT has already proved he can play.  Bechton is the question mark.  If Zach pans out, then he will get a monster contract in 2026.  Also if Moore stays healthy and does what is expected he needs to be resigned in 2025.

This team has not drafted a 1st round wide receiver since Moss.  No edge player worth anything since Abraham/Ellis.  I don't think you can have all your cap in the O-line.

Then again to contradict myself.  A great QB and O-Line can win many games.  Even with average skill positions. 

We will have a better picture in 2 weeks.

JD will just start drafting linemen again in three years to replace the ones that aren’t on a yellow jacket pace. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I really want us to draft Johnson. As tempting as Thibodeaux is he has this "all about me vibe". He is the main character and we are just watching.

Maybe that sounds crazy but I think Ekwonu, Sauce, or Hamilton at 4 with Jermaine Johnson at 10 is better.

Jermaine seems like a humble guy

The 1:25 mark in the video is the Alabama comment from Kayvon.

Maybe his talent is so good it shouldn't matter but I like Jermaine a lot.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I really want us to draft Johnson. As tempting as Thibodeaux is he has this "all about me vibe". He is the main character and we are just watching.

Maybe that sounds crazy but I think Ekwonu, Sauce, or Hamilton at 4 with Jermaine Johnson at 10 is better.

It's not even close in terms of demeanor and maturity.

And it's pretty goddam close in terms of athleticism. 

Jermaine @ 4. He won't be there @ 10.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Walker & Jermaine are the first two off the board - Hutch has 32" arms and ran a 4.7 while KT comes off as entitled and too brand focused. The exact Saleh quote "He wants what football can give him" as opposed to "loving the game". 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, maury77 said:

To be fair, Waldman compared Burks to Deebo and Cordarelle 

That’s ridiculous. Waldman is supposed to be better than letting pop culture comps influence his work 

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Burks said he wants to mimic Samuel and be used all over the field. Perhaps he is totally off base about himself?

I know you’re just going off of what’s out there. I think Deebo’s success this year made his comp en vogue for anyone who’s a multi-purpose/pre-snap motion guy. They’re alike in that the goal is to get the ball in their hands quickly and wherever you can. They’re playmakers, not route tacticians. So I guess we’ll run with that to the moon. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Seem like very legit comparisons.  Even some of the highlights i;ve seen look deebo like.

In that Arkansas got the ball into his hands anyway they could? I think Burks averaged 13 rush yards a game. Meaning they gave him the obligatory 3 hand offs a game and sometimes he got lucky. Any college team will force feed their future NFL playmaker the ball any way they can. Currently Deebo’s career as a WR has been…. Ok. Add in his use lining up in the backfield and now he’s a dynamo.

he’s what 5’11 and all legs. Burks is 6’3 and wins outside and deep when he wants to. It’s not a good comp imo

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wouldn’t mind Gardner because it’s a legitimate need and he seems to be really good, but Hamilton at 4 would be absolutely soul-crushing

Trade down at 4. Take Gardner at 10.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Ekwonu at 4. Sauce at 10.

Stud WR in free agency and let's have some fun in Round 2.

I think  Ekwonu is gone by 4 though.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That’s ridiculous. Waldman is supposed to be better than letting pop culture comps influence his work 

I know you’re just going off of what’s out there. I think Deebo’s success this year made his comp en vogue for anyone who’s a multi-purpose/pre-snap motion guy. They’re alike in that the goal is to get the ball in their hands quickly and wherever you can. They’re playmakers, not route tacticians. So I guess we’ll run with that to the moon. 

So what's your analysis of Burks

18 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think Ekwonu goes 1 and Sauce goes 8, unfortunately

Yeah there are some nightmare scenarios and that is one of them. So many experts have Sauce there at 10. Not sure why he would be but I am hoping for it.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah there are some nightmare scenarios and that is one of them. So many experts have Sauce there at 10. Not sure why he would be but I am hoping for it.

If he's there I'm running to the podium haha Hopefully Falcons trade Ridley (to us) so they go WR haha

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If he's there I'm running to the podium haha Hopefully Falcons trade Ridley (to us) so they go WR haha

We're also assuming Sauce is the Falcons #1 corner in this scenario. Entirely possible they value the upside in a Stingley or even McDuffie if they do in fact go corner (they might not).

Maybe it's also me just putting that in the universe so Sauce at 10 will happen lol.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, NYSportsKing said:

We're also assuming Sauce is the Falcons #1 corner in this scenario. Entirely possible they value the upside in a Stingley or even McDuffie if they do in fact go corner (they might not).

Maybe it's also me just putting that in the universe so Sauce at 10 will happen lol.

Well thank you for putting that in the universe. Make that happen. The Falcons need to lay off the sauce lol.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Penning seems like a lock, imo. Natural fit in every way.

I've had a feeling about Penning to the Jets for quite some time.

I thought it might come after a trade down from 10. But Penning's stock seems to be soaring, so it might have to be at 10 - if he lasts that long.

He would be a nice pick - could start at RG or RT as a rookie.

Right now, I see an edge at 4 (JJ, Walker) and Penning at 10.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I still. Can’t get behind trading for Ridley. No one knows if dude’s okay and ready to play.  I don’t know that would be my “splash” for a guy that’s already had to take time off for reasons that I haven’t heard. Even if he is good in a few weeks what happens when midway through camp something happens and he need time to step away. 

too many ?’s.  It’s not like an ACL where we know 6-8 months he should be good to go. 

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

AJ Brown- strong deceptively fast. Don’t care that 40 was 4.55. You watch him in games run away from everyone on many occasions. , slower DK and kind of a Tee Higgins type leaping catch. 

25 minutes ago, Stark said:

I still. Can’t get behind trading for Ridley. No one knows if dude’s okay and ready to play.  I don’t know that would be my “splash” for a guy that’s already had to take time off for reasons that I haven’t heard. Even if he is good in a few weeks what happens when midway through camp something happens and he need time to step away. 

too many ?’s.  It’s not like an ACL where we know 6-8 months he should be good to go. 

I'm totally good with Godwin, Cooper, Jeudy or Thomas. Riey just tweeted

"? is life"

I think he's gonna end up being good to go. Could see him in Philly or Miami.

8 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Walker & Jermaine are the first two off the board - Hutch has 32" arms and ran a 4.7 while KT comes off as entitled and too brand focused. The exact Saleh quote "He wants what football can give him" as opposed to "loving the game". 

Really starting to look like he is separating himself from most of the other guys. The other player who is still interesting is Sam Williams. Saw he had a very nice 40 time but haven't seen his final numbers. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'll be pretty pissed if we take Thibs over Johnson at this point. I never got a good vibe from Thibs watching some Oregon games. I think he's from the Mevis, Adams school of self awareness. That's not the type of football player we need on this TEAM.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I thought it might come after a trade down from 10. But Penning's stock seems to be soaring, so it might have to be at 10 - if he lasts that long.

Agree... While I'm still an Ekwonu guy, I don't have a problem waiting for #35 or even lower to pick up OL. It's starting to shape up where getting some of the guys we thought might have fallen to us, being taken much higher now and I'm cool with that. Especially if it means picking someone that will help this team win. Not sure if he makes it there, but Zion at #35 to me is better than Ekwonu #4 if it means we miss out on guys like JJ or Sauce in the 1st round.

This all is moot if we trade Becton for some reason, and Neal is #1. Then we have to hope JJ falls to 10 because we'll need Ekwonu at #4.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I’d rather stock up on OLine depth to groom as starters from rounds 2-5.

Jets need to invest in Offensive skill players-WR/TE/RBs, Edge, DLine, and secondary players who can have an immediate when picking in the 1st round  

All those 1st round OLine draft picks in consecutive years will KILL the cap and allocation of Salary cap come Renewal time along with Wilson due a renewal IF the kid develops into a competent starting NFL QB.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

I’d rather stock up on OLine depth to groom as starters from rounds 2-5.

Jets need to invest in Offensive skill players-WR/TE/RBs, Edge, DLine, and secondary.

All those 1st round OLine draft picks in consecutive years will KILL the cap and allocation of Salary cap come Renewal time along with Wilson due a renewal IF the kid develops into a competent starting NFL QB.

I get it, but the years to start stocking up on OL depth is not this year, it's 2023 and beyond. We got 3 more years of Becton (unless we trade him), 4 more of AVT, and 5 more of Ekwonu if that's the way we go. That's 3-5 years of plucking OL depth to replace the ones we'll lose to FA when JD decides which ones to let go or trade. These next 2-4 years are key to keeping an OL together for the strength of the trench. The most important thing we can do for this offense is establish a GOOD running game to take the pressure off Zach. You don't do that unless we have guys upfront who can block effectively.

I get it's hard to see us draft OL in the 1st 3 years in a row, but that position has been neglected for the previous 10 years in a row. We need to replenish and get this offense going. What better way to start that than have a great OL.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I'll be pretty pissed if we take Thibs over Johnson at this point. I never got a good vibe from Thibs watching some Oregon games. I think he's from the Mevis, Adams school of self awareness. That's not the type of football player we need on this TEAM.

Is Johnson a good shceme fit? It seems he worked out as OLB, so he may be better for 3-4 teams 

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Man you go in hard on common comparisons, Brugler made that one too. I don’t think Waldman is letting anyone influence his work.

Of course it’s en vogue this year. And it’s not like Burks with his size, usage, and the way he gets yards is an easy comparison. Waldman essentially chose two directions a heavy athletic guy who isn’t a route tacticians can go. Most of the 220ish dudes don’t get half their yards after the catch, the comparison pool for Burks is pretty small. Not like somebody compared him to Brandin Cooks.

3 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I get it, but the years to start stocking up on OL depth is not this year, it's 2023 and beyond. We got 3 more years of Becton (unless we trade him), 4 more of AVT, and 5 more of Ekwonu if that's the way we go. That's 3-5 years of plucking OL depth to replace the ones we'll lose to FA when JD decides which ones to let go or trade. These next 2-4 years are key to keeping an OL together for the strength of the trench. The most important thing we can do for this offense is establish a GOOD running game to take the pressure off Zach. You don't do that unless we have guys upfront who can block effectively.

I get it's hard to see us draft OL in the 1st 3 years in a row, but that position has been neglected for the previous 10 years in a row. We need to replenish and get this offense going. What better way to start that than have a great OL.

The big question with Ekwonu is his pass blocking ability. People are way underrating the potential downside to taking him at 4 and plucking him at RG. Or a tackle spot.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, derp said:

The big question with Ekwonu is his pass blocking ability. People are way underrating the potential downside to taking him at 4 and plucking him at RG. Or a tackle spot.

I agree. He’s raw on that front. I think he’ll get there with good coaching because the athleticism and demeanor is good, but people are not understanding that taking him top 5 is based on projection of potential and not current polished prospect. i buy though that JD loves him because he seems to like mauling lineman that finish blocks, which he definitely is. 

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I see it this way too. Since douglas probably won’t be able to trade out of 4, i think that slot is dedicated to their favorite edge rusher.  They just can’t take a cb or s with that pick, it’s too much of a premium pick and saleh knows he needs pass rushers.  I also doubt it’s thibs, no way saleh wants to deal with another high draft head case like becton.  So whether it’s walker or ojabu or someone else, 4 is likely an edge rusher.  

I also think they trade out of 10. It’s a far easier spot to trade out of and it could also be for a qb.  So i think they get more draft capital and move into the teens, and then take either a wr or OL.  If they took panning i could also see a move back into the end of round 1 for a wr.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1