Only one thing in the pre-draft interview with Joe Douglas caught my eye.

Alka

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

There was a risk in Becton's size, but he can't be blamed for the Lawson injury or any of the other ones.  

I like Lawson more than most, but he’s been injured pretty much every year of his life, dating back to college. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Alka said:

There was one moment in the question and answer session where Joe Douglas talked about getting players to play on the field as long as possible as healthy as possible.  I am paraphrasing here.  That was the general gist of his answer.

What I got from this was the following:

#1- The obvious.  Joe Douglas is feeling the heat of Mechki Becton, and the fact that his absence from the field doesn't help the team.

#2- Carl Lawson- Joe went and paid him a lot of money, and his absence last season again hurt the team, and raised questions about Joe Douglas's decision making.

#3- The injuries to the wide receiver Davis, the linebacker Davis, and others who decimated the team.

Why is this all so important?  Because it is my feeling that Joe Douglas is learning on the job, and by making this statement, I feel that this thinking will affect him in drafting certain players, and staying away from other players.

May the Jets draft Stingley,Jr.- I would bet that there is no chance of it.  The wide receiver Jamison Williams-  I tend to doubt it.  Drafting a offensive tackle with either the #4 or #10 pick, due to the uncertainty of Becton- I think it is a very real possibility.

Players with a history of injury IMO, will have very little chance of getting drafted in the top 3 rounds of this draft by Joe Douglas.  I believe that he will go with the safe picks, and players who don't have a history of injury.  This will be a major focus of Joe Douglas moving forward as the GM.

If you think about the premium resources the Jets have used (both Draft picks and FA $$$) you see that the percentage of time on the field has been abysmal.  Becton (1st), Mims (2nd), Elijah Moore (2nd), Lawson (huge $$$), Davis (second most huge $$$) ALL missed significant time last year due to injury or couldn't perform well enough to get on the field (in the case of Mims).

How do you expect to win games when none of your most expensive players are playing?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but besides Zach and AVT, those are Joe Douglas' FIVE biggest investments since he's been here.  And they're watching from the sidelines.

47 minutes ago, Alka said:

There was one moment in the question and answer session where Joe Douglas talked about getting players to play on the field as long as possible as healthy as possible.  I am paraphrasing here.  That was the general gist of his answer.

#1- The obvious.  Joe Douglas is feeling the heat of Mechki Becton, and the fact that his absence from the field doesn't help the team.

#2- Carl Lawson- Joe went and paid him a lot of money, and his absence last season again hurt the team, and raised questions about Joe Douglas's decision making.

#3- The injuries to the wide receiver Davis, the linebacker Davis, and others who decimated the team.

Why is this all so important?  Because it is my feeling that Joe Douglas is learning on the job, and by making this statement, I feel that this thinking will affect him in drafting certain players, and staying away from other players.

May the Jets draft Stingley,Jr.- I would bet that there is no chance of it.  The wide receiver Jamison Williams-  I tend to doubt it.  Drafting a offensive tackle with either the #4 or #10 pick, due to the uncertainty of Becton- I think it is a very real possibility.

Players with a history of injury IMO, will have very little chance of getting drafted in the top 3 rounds of this draft by Joe Douglas.  I believe that he will go with the safe picks, and players who don't have a history of injury.  This will be a major focus of Joe Douglas moving forward as the GM.

These are all thing you heard. I don't think eyes work like that. 

Joe swung for the fences in 2020 with Becton, Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Clarke, etc. That whole draft now looks like a colossol mistake and we're paying for it dearly now. 

You could say Zach was a risky selection too, but if there is one position on the team, you don't mind potentially reaching for, its quarterback. Other than Zach, Vera Tucker was a safe pick with a high floor and he didn't mind paying a premium to do so. Moore was a clean pick as well, high character guy. 

Douglas needs to hit the fairway next week. If that means taking guys like Johnson and Wilson instead of Thibodeaux and Williams, then so be it.

Sauce or Ekwonu at 4. take it from there. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Alka said:

True, you want to take a flier on someone like CB Hall for a 5th rounder like he did is fine since there is not much to lose for that draft slot and a lot to gain as Hall is a good starter who so far seems durable in the NFL though more time is needed. Rounds 1-3 have to be durable players that also are not coming off a major injury last or the past year.

• Upvote 1

That's why, I'm close to positive KT, won't be selected.. If he turns out to be a locker room cancer. If he gets hurt and doesn't produce. Bye bye J.D. K.T has missed games the last two years at Oregon.Too risky a pick, for more than one reason.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

This is fair.  There was a risk in Becton's size, but he can't be blamed for the Lawson injury or any of the other ones.  

We have had a lot of injuries the past few years.  It might be time to look at turf issues.  

But you are right: I think players with weight issues or injury issues in college will be taken off our boards.  If you can't stay healthy, it doesn't matter if you are an all-pro.  

Yes and no. The Bengals did not retain Lawson mostly due to his injury past.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Been saying this since last season. He is not in a position to take a chance on oft injure players. The ability he needs to look for and draft is availability. Our roster  the last game of the season was like a damn rummage sale. Learn from your mistakes Joe Douglas, learn from your mistakes! 

Which is exactly why he should shy away from AJ Brown and maybe Deebo Samuel.  Both have been injury prone in the NFL, particularly Brown.  

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Last yeas training camp was awful.

Lawson comes in and looks as good if not better than advertised.

Beats our young LT like a drum for all of camp to the point that LT no longer wants to play.

Then Lawson gets hurt for the year.

Sad Koala GIF

• Haha 1

Injuries are going to happen and there isn't a damn thing you can do about that...so, I don't blame JD for that because it happens to the best of players.  On to Becton.  That guy is a major disappointment (injury aside) from all I've read about his rehab.  JD and the rest of the staff should have been monitoring him better in his rehab.  I mean we all read the stories how he put on a ton of weight.  Why?  Why didn't they have him under lock and key.  This was our number 1 pick in the draft and they let this guy eat like he was Joey Chestnut.

23 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And that is fair.  Injuries happen, but some people can't make a full 16 game season.

And now, it's 17. Fewer and fewer players are going to play all the games, year after year. Eventually, IMHO, it's going to tamp down guaranteed money for older players, and I'm not sure where it will put pressure on younger players, rookie contracts, etc. Shorter careers, for sure: no amount of medical and surgical progress is going to make up for the wear and tear. I don't think fewer preseason games will make up for the full-on impact of regular season and expanded playoff games.

14 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree.  Injuries impacted this team big time.  Different if you take a swing and do this rd 5 or later, but 1-3 we just don’t have the luxury with our history of injuries and all the holes.

Not sure I fully agree with this, outside the first couple of rounds.  Think from the 2nd/3rd on, there is upside betting on traits for a guy coming off of injury.  Bryce Hall is a great example.  Pickens, if it weren't for supposed character concerns, would qualify there as first round talent who is now more than a year from the ACL repair, but has dropped because of a lack of tape from last year.  Stingley, on the other hand, is too risky in the top half of the first.    Lisfrancs are big deals and he has been banged up a lot.  It is interesting that two WR's, London and WIlliams will be drafted high, coming off of injury. I guess it matters the type of injury and whether a full recovery would be expected.  Ojabo's achilles for a pass rusher is more of a death knell.  Would be interesting to look at top trait guys coming off of injury in this draft and where they are ranked on boards.

15 hours ago, Alka said:

Fair enough. But JD, to my knowledge, hasn't drafted any players coming off injury in the first 3 rounds. 

Bryce Hall was coming off injury but he was a 5th round pick. And he has actually worked out really well! So it would be counterintuitive to think that JD learned a lesson from drafting him. 

Nas was coming off injury, but again, he was a 6th round pick. TBD on whether he turns into anything. But un the 6th round, nothing wrong with rolling the dice on an injured player with talent. 

So while I agree, JD is clearly saying that injuries have really hurt this team, I don't think it will necessarily impact the way he drafts (maybe the FAs he signs) because, well, he never really went after often injured players early. 

JD has drafted three players with previous significant injuries: Zuniga, Hall, and Nasrildeen. Lawson is the only FA with significant injuries (that I can think of) that was given a large contract. Players, apparently, come to the Jets and then start missing significant time. Davis missed some games here and there but it’s not like he did his PCL and missed a whole season. Otherwise JD has given prove-it deals to injured players during a top to bottom rebuild. 

I don’t believe this is “feeling the heat” about Becton, specifically. I think this is JD recognizing that injuries are a plague on this team in general. Can we chill out a little on the idea that JD is constantly bringing in injured players? Most of the guys he’s brought in have been low-risk. 

16 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

This is fair.  There was a risk in Becton's size, but he can't be blamed for the Lawson injury or any of the other ones.  

We have had a lot of injuries the past few years.  It might be time to look at turf issues.  

But you are right: I think players with weight issues or injury issues in college will be taken off our boards.  If you can't stay healthy, it doesn't matter if you are an all-pro.  

Didn't one of the Bosa brothers complain about the field last season after getting injured? I think there have been others as well.

15 hours ago, tfine said:

I would start with the conditioning staff…too many lower body injuries, hamstring quad, Achilles…either fire the staff or look into the turf at metlife. Maybe it’s whats causing these injuries

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Jets brought in a whole new athletic performance department last year. From the top to the bottom, everyone has been in the job for only one year. I think you need to give them a little longer before changing again.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Alka said:

Carl Lawson- Joe went and paid him a lot of money, and his absence last season again hurt the team, and raised questions about Joe Douglas's decision making.

No one said a thing when Lawson was signed.  No one has criticized JD after the fact for Lawsons injury.  Of he had suffered another knee injury, maybe he would have but an Achilles isn’t something you can criticize by way of his history

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one said a thing when Lawson was signed.  No one has criticized JD after the fact for Lawsons injury.  Of he had suffered another knee injury, maybe he would have but an Achilles isn’t something you can criticize by way of his history

I disagree.  Some players play their entire career without getting injured.  Some players got injured constantly and it becomes "a thing".

And I quote from an article: "However, injuries have plagued Lawson dating back to his days at Auburn. He suffered an ACL tear in 2014 and missed that entire year with the Tigers. In 2018 with the Bengals, he suffered another ACL tear.  This past offseason, Lawson left Cincinnati to sign a three-year, $45M contract with the Jets."

And look out, Lawson tore his achilles and missed another entire year.

I don't care if Carl Lawson comes to camp and tears his bicep muscle this year.  (I hope not).  If he is susceptible to injuries, then he is susceptible to injuries.  Cincinnati was smart to move on from Lawson and not give him a major contract.  JD was not so smart.  He needs to learn from this, and my guess is that he is learning.

51 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Didn't one of the Bosa brothers complain about the field last season after getting injured? I think there have been others as well.

Yes....I believe the turf has been called sh*t before.  MIGHT want to spend a few extra dollars on getting a good turf so your million dollar athletes don't miss so much time. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Alka said:

I disagree.  Some players play their entire career without getting injured.  Some players got injured constantly and it becomes "a thing".

And I quote from an article: "However, injuries have plagued Lawson dating back to his days at Auburn. He suffered an ACL tear in 2014 and missed that entire year with the Tigers. In 2018 with the Bengals, he suffered another ACL tear.  This past offseason, Lawson left Cincinnati to sign a three-year, $45M contract with the Jets."

And look out, Lawson tore his achilles and missed another entire year.

I don't care if Carl Lawson comes to camp and tears his bicep muscle this year.  (I hope not).  If he is susceptible to injuries, then he is susceptible to injuries.  Cincinnati was smart to move on from Lawson and not give him a major contract.  JD was not so smart.  He needs to learn from this, and my guess is that he is learning.

You can disagree.  But you’re talking something different.  Yes some players are injury prone and have more than one knee injury.  Then you may have to answer to it. This is the question with drafting a WR who has an ACL for ex.  I get that but nothing in someone’s history of Knee injury is a red flag for an Achilles injury.  Which is why nobody is giving JD shlt for Lawson

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You can disagree.  But you’re talking something different.  Yes some players are injury prone and have more than one knee injury.  Then you may have to answer to it. This is the question with drafting a WR who has an ACL for ex.  I get that but nothing in someone’s history of Knee injury is a red flag for an Achilles injury.  Which is why nobody is giving JD shlt for Lawson

There is a whole study of Genetics and sports injury that's developing.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/02/the-genetics-of-being-injury-prone/385257/

Within the field of sports-injury genetics, some studies have focused on variations in the genes that control the production of collagen, the main component of tendons and ligaments. Collagen proteins also form the backbone of tissues and bones, but in some people, structural differences in these proteins may leave the body’s structures weaker or unable to repair themselves properly after injury. In a study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in 2009, South African researchers found that specific variations of a collagen gene named COL1A1 were under-represented in a group of recreational athletes who had suffered traumatic ACL injuries. Those who had torn their ACL were four times as likely as the uninjured study subjects to have a blood relative who had suffered the same injury, suggesting that genetics are at least partially responsible for the strength of the ligament.

The same COL1A1 gene has also been linked to other soft-tissue injuries, like Achilles-tendon ruptures and shoulder dislocations.

There may be a genetic connection between soft tissue injuries.  There is a good chance that a certain percent of athletes including NFL athletes may be injury prone due to genetics. 

There are certainly many athlete's, pro and ameteur along with weekend warriors who have had multiple soft tissue injuries and repairs that may well have been connected due to genetics.

Sports medicine and genetics are both developing sciences.  When you say nothing is a red flag I wouldn't bet my multi-million dollar a year GM of one of 32 teams job on it.

Very interesting.   There may be a correlation that can be determined or partially attributed to genetics but right now you cant blame a GM for signing someone who has had an ACL injury and then a couple of years later has an Achilles injury.    As said this is interesting as a developing science.  

20 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Injuries are going to happen and there isn't a damn thing you can do about that...so, I don't blame JD for that because it happens to the best of players.  On to Becton.  That guy is a major disappointment (injury aside) from all I've read about his rehab.  JD and the rest of the staff should have been monitoring him better in his rehab.  I mean we all read the stories how he put on a ton of weight.  Why?  Why didn't they have him under lock and key.  This was our number 1 pick in the draft and they let this guy eat like he was Joey Chestnut.

I would have someone from Jets security working out in the gym Becton is training at to see what's going on. If it's not open to public I'd have them break in and place a hidden camera live stream into JD's office. 

gene hackman thefirm GIF

Like Wilford Brimley in THE FIRM!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1