Sean Payton

The Jets are in disarray.  At the conclusion of the season, they need to clean house again.  I know you guys are tired of starting over every 2-3 years but that’s where you are

The team needs people at the top that know how to fix this.  By fix I mean 1.  Finding a QB and 2.  Building a roster and depth.  3.  Competent coaching.

Go hire Payton and let Payton pick the GM.  Same setup as KC.  

Payton knows QB talent, he knows football.  He put together teams that were consistently competitive and always built with good depths through good drafts.

in addition, having a coach who is also the de facto O coordinator ensures continuity with the QB and offense whereas having a D minded coach that ends up with good offense, having the o coordinator poached.

Paton can fix your mess.  Write the check or the Cowboys will.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 19
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

The Jets are in disarray.  At the conclusion of the season, they need to clean house again.  I know you guys are tired of starting over every 2-3 years but that’s where you are

The team needs people at the top that know how to fix this.  By fix I mean 1.  Finding a QB and 2.  Building a roster and depth.  3.  Competent coaching.

Payton knows QB talent, he knows football.  He put together teams that were consistently competitive and always built with good depths through good drafts.

in addition, having a coach who is also the de facto O coordinator ensures continuity with the QB and offense whereas having a D minded coach that ends up with good offense, having the o coordinator poached.

???????????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I would merge it if I could find it.  I might make a unified 'random whine thread' and merge all of these together.  

Thoughts?

I'm all for it.  There was another Payton thread or 2 before tc when he mentioned returning. 

13 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Maybe save this for say, February 2023, when it might be worth pondering.

Nothing is changing now.

• Upvote 3

Way too early for this stuff but I don't mind playing on Hypothetical Island.

Saleh and his staff have a lot to prove this season and will it be enough to ignore an upgrade at HC if Payton (hypothetically) wanted to come here?

I really liked what Joe Douglas has done with this roster.

But if we're going after Sean Payton then it'll really be up to him what he wants to do for a GM or if he would want to be GM + HC.

Long story short for the sake of playing pretend, Saleh would have to have a dramatic monster season to pass on hiring Payton.

16 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

If Sean Payton will coach here then I agree he should be hired.  I'm not looking to dump JD but I'd fire Saleh without even thinking about it.  And that's the case even if we win 10 games this year.  A good HC makes all the difference.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

On one hand, I absolutely love what LaFluer is doing. I've loved it since his first day on the job - even through the first 6 games last year when everyone wanted to blame him instead of Zach for the offensive woes.

That being said, if I'm Woody, and Zach proves he's not the guy this year, I'm doing everything I can to get Sean Payton in here on one condition: he needs to work with JD. 

I'm a LaFleur fan too.  Saleh and Ullbrich haven't shown anything so far though.  And even if they did, it's highly unlikely either will be Sean Payton's caliber.  I agree that we need to keep JD (at least that's my current thinking).  

• Upvote 1

Saleh reminds me a of a young Pete Carroll.  Kind of a rah rah guy trying to figure things out.  Hess threw him overboard after 1 season and brought in an established "winner" in Rich Kotite.  I'm willing to give Saleh some time to show his upside.  But he has to start taking command of the team.  Way too many unprepared, undisciplined efforts so far on his watch...

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm a LaFleur fan too.  Saleh and Ullbrich haven't shown anything so far though.  And even if they did, it's highly unlikely either will be Sean Payton's caliber.  I agree that we need to keep JD (at least that's my current thinking).  

Independent of Sean Payton…

• If Zack and the offense look great this year

• D looks awful

• We’re losing games because we look unprepared, unmotivated, and out-coached

I wonder if J&J + JD look to fire Saleh and promote LaFleur

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I would merge it if I could find it.  I might make a unified 'random whine thread' and merge all of these together.  

Thoughts?

Perfection.  All the whiners can whine to each other, spewing cliches like all we need is a QB or we can give a HC the keys as HC & GM and then be just “like KC”.  Because somehow they don’t have a GM

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, slats said:

Let’s see what the season brings, shall we? 

If Saleh and/or Zach don’t look the part, I’m not throwing the baby out with the bath water. I’d be happy to bring in Payton if he’s willing to work with JD. I really don’t give a **** about the guy’s first draft during the pandemic, I like the team building I’ve seen the last couple years. 

This is very, very reasonable.. If** this second year is another disaster, why waste YET another? Good post!

41 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

OMG has it been a week already? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

This place is bonkers lately.... such a desperate reactionary sickness...I love it

sound of music GIF

You do know it's possible Salah is not the guy.  It's actually possible.  That's why people are commenting.  They're not sold.  I'm rooting like hell for him.  I loved the hire.  But I'm starting to get "how long is too long before we start talking about the elephant in the room" vibes.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

You do know it's possible Salah is not the guy.  It's actually possible.  That's why people are commenting.  They're not sold.  I'm rooting like hell for him.  I loved the hire.  But I'm starting to get "how long is too long before we start talking about the elephant in the room" vibes.

He might need to sacrifice the DC to get to next year if that D doesn’t dramatically improve.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1