Constructive Criticism: What Changes Would YOU Make for Week 2?

Warfish

Ok, we're all unhappy.  That's a given.

But lets try and think constructively (not positively, note, but constructively).

Looking at the real world roster we have today, and any free agents currently available, what changes would you make to try and improve the on-field performance of our Jets for week 2.

Try to keep it realistic, (sorry @jgb, trading for Minshew probably doesn't meet that criteria).

We are what we are, we have what we have:  Is there anything you would do to try and improve next week?

(P.S. If your take is "we suck, nothing can be done, burn it all down", just skip this thread please.  I feel you, but it doesn't make for enjoyable theory-crafting lol).

I'll give my own a bit later.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

The first move would have to be at the QB position, either Streveler who I prefer or White. Streveler has the wheels to make something happen when the pocket breaks down and White seems to process quickly and moved the team in limited opportunities last year. I would also like to see the tight ends more involved in the offense like they were in practices and some of the pre season games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It will never happen but I start with the qb and promote strev off the ps and give him the week if practice with the 1’s.

I get he played against guys doing who knows what right now but fact is he was the most productive qb we had during preseason games.

challenge the competition all you want but he still had to make plays and he did.

do you really think Flacco based on what we saw today is beating Cleve, Cincy or Pitt?

give him a shot until Zach is healthy

• Upvote 2

Just now, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Run the ball with 2 TEs as the browns will blitz Flacco all day along with their talented DEs flying off the corners against a rookie RT and injured LT. 

Jets should bring back the wild cat… but rebrand it “teh cougar.”

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Warfish said:

1. I release Joe Flacco, and name Mike White the starter for Game 2.  Strev is called up off the practice squad.  

2. I start G. Wilson at WR, along with Moore and Davis.  Berrios sees a few less snaps overall.  Davis gets sat down if he drops another easy pass.

3. I find a way to start calling some misdirections.  If we're getting blitzed, throw god damn screen pass once in a while.  Or run a delay.  Or play action.  Or some programmed rollouts.  Something to help the O-line buy some time for the QB. 

4. I find a way to get the TE's involved in the passing game, today felt very underwhelming in that aspect.  

5. Focus on the running game and the short passing game, what Mike White has shown himself to be good at.  Every dropback needs to be out of White's hands in under 2-3 seconds, period.  Lets your talented WR's and RB's make YAC.

6. On Defense.....I don't do much.  I think they made a noble effort today early on.  There are weaknesses here, but nothign so grotesque I'd satrt changing players.

...then I'd make you HC. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Here are the changes I would make:

1. We need to ditch the "offense in a phone booth" concept and start attacking the edges.

2. We need to have Moore and Wilson on the field together as much as possible which means we should be a 10 and 11 team which actually matches our best personnel. We should run 12 but later in games and in hurry up as a change of pace.

3. We need to stop running up the middle, we cannot block it

4. We need to pass 60% of the time on 1st down, and again get the RBs on the edge where they can be effective.

5. We need to sit Flacco. Not only does he not fit the offense he is just not a quality NFL starter anymore. Streveler would bring more to the offense

6. We need to throw away Cover 3 and forget it exists. It's both easily exploitable and very complicated and our secondary is very young.

7. We need to see what Adams can do at free safety.

8. We need to find a kicker. Cutting Piniero was idiotic. 

9. We need to run more creative plays on both offense and defense.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I wouldn’t have started Flacco in the first place, but now that they have, I think you need to give him another start, or you look desperate. But the leash needs to be extremely short. He looked rinsed today.

As opposed to how they look currently?

I'm good with a little desperation.  Much better than the "nothing to see here, we really battled out there" mentality that the current CS seems to be pushing, at least publicly.  

• Upvote 4