Has Saleh already lost the "defensive genius" label?

AFJF

At the start of preseason the defense looked completely putrid, then towards the end they suddenly looked they had improved a lot. While wildly inconsistent this gave me some level of comfort, which is now again completely shattered. It makes no sense. If they can be good sometimes they should be capable of repeating it. 

He's a defensive fraud!   You're not a defensive genius if your defense only performs when everything is perfect.

You're a defensive genius when your defense always finds a way to perform, regardless of circumstance.

It's always something with this guy

1. Lack of talent

2. Injuries

3. Communication

4. Bad luck (something he outright said this past week)

5. Long running plays which make an otherwise good run defense look not so good

All Gas!  No Pepto..

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Did he ever have it? Serious question. 

To me , he was billed as more of a centrist who would oversee both sides of the ball (former DC and former TE) and change the overall culture of the organization. 

I believe he only had a top 10 defense once in SF - in 2019, when they went to the SB. 

• Upvote 1

Has Saleh already lost the "defensive genius" label?

The word genius gets thrown around way too often these days. No one (statistical outliers aside) in the NFL is a genius, some coaches just aren't as cognitively disinclined as the others giving them perception of excellence. Not even B*B* as he lucked into Brady*, and isn't sh*t without him. In general the guys who do well at coaching are often the guys who have better rosters, period, and not because they coached up the players. I've pretty much never seen a coach take a bunch of nobodies one year, and transform them into winners. I have seen a roster mismanaged by one guy only to be properly run by the next guy.  It's very much like teaching, give someone a great roster of students and that teacher may be teacher of the year, as opposed to a class roster of miscreants, booger eaters, and kids he we have remind that plastic bags aren't toys, at which point the teacher doesn't look so amazing. Context is everything.

How can he be considered a defensive genius when he himself states that it’s a very simple scheme. If it’s so simple why are there so many miscommunications and wouldn’t the offensive coordinator on the opposing team be able to figure it out. Hurlbrich has got to go and Saleh needs to start calling tge defense and put some stunts and blitzes in cant just constantly bull rush which it what they seem to do all the time. 

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

In his defense  the talent last year was pretty bad....... but a great defensive coach finds ways to gameplan his way to at least some success.  

I have never come away from a game thinking Saleh just outsmarted the other HC. That's a problem 

I couldn’t agree more.

That’s what has me worried…there were at least games and moments with Herm, Mangini, Rex, Bowles, Gase (ooooph that one is a stretch) where I thought okay theres hope we have a really good coach.

I have yet to see that from Saleh.

Why is it so hard to fathom that when you hire your coordinators, you let them do their thing? The big complaint about Rex was that all he cared about was the D. Petite was Rex’sPuppet that talked to the press. Saleh is trying to coach the entire team, not just 1/3 of it. The guy has coached 16 games. Plz get off his Fukin back. 

• WTF? 1