Reed says defense’s communication issue resolved

After he called out the Jets’ communication issues following their loss to the Bengals last Sunday, cornerback D.J. Reed said he believes the team has sufficiently addressed it in practice this week.

“We had a great week, that’s all I can really speak on,” Reed told The Post following practice Friday. “I said what I said. We had a great week. We’re on the same page. We’re good.”

Much of Reed’s issues were regarding pre-snap communication, as the Jets were failing to echo the play call after it came in from middle linebacker C.J. Mosley.

Physical distance in a loud stadium is an issue. A player on the far right of the formation may not be able to hear something said by the cornerback on the opposite side. Instead, that message must make its way across the defense via everyone shouting the call, tendency or whatever it is as loudly as possible.

Reed said the Jets have been unlucky and he has been on defenses that haven’t been severely affected by such mistakes. He also said it’s easily fixed.

D.J. Reed, huddling his teammates before the Jets’ loss to the Bengals, says the defense has resolved its communication issues.

“We can’t be out there not talking ’cause it makes everybody’s jobs harder, ’cause we’re not sure what somebody else is doing,” he said. “We can look at it totally different if we’re not on the same page. … It’s just really about communicating and being loud out there, especially playing away.”

The biggest issues for the Jets have come on third downs, on which they’ve allowed a 51.28 conversion percentage, second-worst in the league. Reed said it’s not an issue with a specific cadence for third down, but communication problems have been costly. Ja’Marr Chase’s touchdown in the third quarter last Sunday, for example, came on a third-and-goal miscommunication from the Jets’ 5-yard line.

“That can’t happen and I put that on myself too much,” defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich said Thursday. “And defense, obviously they’re speaking to me through that, so I will adapt and make sure that we are better in that way.”

The expectation after this week is that it shouldn’t be as much of an issue when the Jets play at Pittsburgh on Sunday.

What do you think? Post a comment.

“We’re just overemphasizing it,” Reed said. “So in the game, it’s not as hard to do.”

LB Quincy Williams (ankle) will miss the game and will be reevaluated this week, per coach Robert Saleh. CB Brandin Eichols, DE John Franklin-Myers and QB Zach Wilson were all full participants in practice and will play. Wilson practiced with a compression sleeve on his right leg.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/01/jets-d-j-reed-says-defenses-communication-issue-resolved/

mitch.thumb.png.0fb7a2c5bdc1ac3a713ba91c4d31a536.png

• Upvote 1

Such a joke and if true would fall straight on the Defensive coaches.  I coach soccer and would emphasize to 7 year old kids to communicate with each other.  Did the Jets draft & sign a bunch of mutes?

Always an excuse from this coaching staff. And this one is laughable.  Never real answers. 

Myabe it’s simply the scheme or the coaching..

3 games in and I count 4 easy passing TDs when the Jets were in zone.  A 5th was when Burrow escaped the pocket and found his running back open when there appeared to be confusion on who was supposed to pick him up.

The 2 man TDs were off a great throw & catch against Bryce Hall, who had tight coverage.  And a missed tackle by Whitehead when the Jets sent 7.  You sometimes live and die by the sword.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Such a joke and if true would fall straight on the Defensive coaches.  I coach soccer and would emphasize to 7 year old kids to communicate with each other.  Did the Jets draft & sign a bunch of mutes?

Always an excuse from this coaching staff. And this one is laughable.  Never real answers. 

3 games in and I count 4 easy passing TDs when the Jets were in zone.  A 5th was when Burrow escaped the pocket and found his running back open when there appeared to be confusion on who was supposed to pick him up.

The 2 man TDs were off a great throw & catch against Bryce Hall, who had tight coverage.  And a missed tackle by Whitehead when the Jets sent 7.  You sometimes live and die by the sword.  

When you play man, it doesn’t take long to figure out what the problem is.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Maybe it's 70k opposing fans screaming that makes it a hell of a lot harder to hear each other on such a large field.

Not comparable to a kiddie soccer field with 42 hot soccer moms yelling encouragement I'd imagine.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Haha 1

This is directed at Ethan Sears of the New York Post. Nowhere in the article did Reed say that the issues were "resolved." Did Reed say this off the record with Sears? Did the word "resolved" ever come out of Reed's yapper?

“We had a great week, that’s all I can really speak on,” Reed told The Post following practice Friday. “I said what I said. We had a great week. We’re on the same page. We’re good.”

"We're good" is discussing the conversation with the team and that they are addressing the communication issues. 

13 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Maybe it's 70k opposing fans screaming that makes it a hell of a lot harder to hear each other on such a large field.

Not comparable to a kiddie soccer field with 42 hot soccer moms yelling encouragement I'd imagine.

Are you really defending this?  The jets are the only team that has 70K fans screaming?   Not seeing the same breakdowns when we are playing against zone.

So they’ve now identified that they need to communicate more or louder, and this 70k fan screaming thing is a thing?

My soccer analogy was to bring up the importance of communication.  Have you ever heard how loud those moms get?  Lol

And if this scheme requires such a level of communication in the face of standard NFL crowd noise, then let’s simplify and play man.  ‘You chase him’, ‘I chase him’ communicated with simple finger pointing.

Lastly we can ask our fans NOT to scream as loud.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Don’t confuse the rookie.  Just let him cover the best wr and figure out the rest.  What a luxury to have.

When I was in 8th grade I could operate in 4 different zone defenses in hoops. He’s got to be better 

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Lol I think coaching 7 years Olds is a bit different than an NFL team playing with a stadium full of loud fans. But okay 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Alentador31 said:

Lol I think coaching 7 years Olds is a bit different than an NFL team playing with a stadium full of loud fans. But okay 

Why aren’t other zone defenses having the same magnitude of communication issues?  Do they not play in the same stadiums with screaming fans?

Id really like to hear your answer as you focus on a less relevant point of my post, which was only made to emphasize the importance of communication in all team sports at all ages.  It’s silly to think that’s the main reason here and the Jets have suddenly uncovered a big ahah moment.  And if true, outside of a bunch of mutes, then why are we still having these issues?  Bad coaching, too complex of a scheme?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Hello there! :D  

image.thumb.png.1854e1cd0458fa04b31ff20ee9d68071.png

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I tho Bryce Hall had good coverage on that play and it was just a really good throw and catch...Sauce actually got beat in the end zone with almost same way if not for the guy was barely OOBs...

Are you really defending this?  The jets are the only team that has 70K fans screaming?   Not seeing the same breakdowns when we are playing against zone.
So they’ve now identified that they need to communicate more or louder, and this 70k fan screaming thing is a thing?
My soccer analogy was to bring up the importance of communication.  Have you ever heard how loud those moms get?  Lol
And if this scheme requires such a level of communication in the face of standard NFL crowd noise, then let’s simplify and play man.  ‘You chase him’, ‘I chase him’ communicated with simple finger pointing.
Lastly we can ask our fans NOT to scream as loud.
You never played college football have you?