So much Mike White Disrespect

kevinc855

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Mike White has played in 4 games. 2 of them elite, 1 started well before injury then a stinker against the best defense in the NFL at the time. 

Why is there this assumption by some fans that "White is not the long term answer" He is 27, respected by the team and can manage the team well. He seems capable of making throws into tight windows and avoiding bad mistakes. Is he Pat Mahomes? No, but who is? We scream that rookie QBS needs 2 years to know what you have but we know with Mike White in 4 games? Why? Why can't Mike White get a 20 game evaluation? Because he played for Western Kentucy? They arguablly played tougher games then the 2020 BYU crew. 

I don't get the blatant Mike White disrescpt from the media or fans. Let the kid PROVE he is the long term answer. 

The other side of the coin is he's 27.   While he had a nice college career and did well in the Senior Bowl he's combine numbers were among the worst of all the QB's at the combine.  He was drafted in the 5th round in 2018.   He made the Cowboys as their third string emergency QB.  In 2019 he competed for the backup job to Dak and was cut while still on his rookie deal.   They opted not to put him on the practice squad.   The Jets put him on the practice squad in 2019.   They waived him in 20 and when he wasn't picked up put him back on the practice squad.   They waived him again and resigned him to the practice squad.   Even after last year they gave him a 1 year deal and he was essentially the third string QB up until a few weeks ago.

The Jets and Cowboys saw a lot of Mike White and haven't really shown him a lot of love.

The idea that he's being disrespected by the media or the fans after the way two very good organizations have disrespected him seems a little over the top.   The Fans and media are way ahead of the Jets organization in the respect given to Mike White.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The other side of the coin is he's 27.   While he had a nice college career and did well in the Senior Bowl he's combine numbers were among the worst of all the QB's at the combine.  He was drafted in the 5th round in 2018.   He made the Cowboys as their third string emergency QB.  In 2019 he competed for the backup job to Dak and was cut while still on his rookie deal.   They opted not to put him on the practice squad.   The Jets put him on the practice squad in 2019.   They waived him in 20 and when he wasn't picked up put him back on the practice squad.   They waived him again and resigned him to the practice squad.   Even after last year they gave him a 1 year deal and he was essentially the third string QB up until a few weeks ago.

The Jets and Cowboys saw a lot of Mike White and haven't really shown him a lot of love.

The idea that he's being disrespected by the media or the fans after the way two very good organizations have disrespected him seems a little over the top.   The Fans and media are way ahead of the Jets organization in the respect given to Mike White.  

The jets organizaiton also thought Zach Wilson was going to be good and seen alot of him. 

Practice is not NFL games. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Who cares about draft position, preseason, previous cuts, etc.   He's been excellent in 2 of his 4 starts.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Mike White has played in 4 games. 2 of them elite, 1 started well before injury then a stinker against the best defense in the NFL at the time. 

Why is there this assumption by some fans that "White is not the long term answer" He is 27, respected by the team and can manage the team well. He seems capable of making throws into tight windows and avoiding bad mistakes. Is he Pat Mahomes? No, but who is? We scream that rookie QBS needs 2 years to know what you have but we know with Mike White in 4 games? Why? Why can't Mike White get a 20 game evaluation? Because he played for Western Kentucy? They arguablly played tougher games then the 2020 BYU crew. 

I don't get the blatant Mike White disrescpt from the media or fans. Let the kid PROVE he is the long term answer. 

He is Chad Pennington if he can stay healthy

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Who cares about draft position, preseason, previous cuts, etc.   He's been excellent in 2 of his 4 starts.  

Don't care.  The idea that he's being disrespected by the media and fans is a bad take.  The fans and media love him. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Look, I love what Mike White is doing but I don't  see him hoisting  the Lombardi Trophy over his head any time soon. What Mike White is is a bridge to our next QB. We can play with this guy as a starter for another year, maybe 2. He will be even better once Breece is back. He puts us in a great position not to rush the next guy in. 

6 minutes ago, static14 said:

Pre injury Pennington takes this team to the super bowl. 

Agreed... I hope Mike White can prove the same... I am skeptical of the performance only because the bears defense is heavily depleted... 

I think he will also ball out versus vikings... But I kinda wonder how the Buffalo game will go with their defense getting healthy... Especially if Miller comes back by then. 

42 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I would not call it disrespect.  Today, fans and pundits are giving Mike White lots of compliments.  I'm listening to Greeny now at work and I don't hear any disrespect.  And, Greeny is a traumatized Jets fan that usually talks like he is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The summary on Mike While is that he does not perform well against a healthy pass rush.  The Bears have a poor pass rush and a poor defense in general.  Not much challenge there.  If Mike White has the same game good game against a team with a strong defense that gets good pressure on the QB, then fans and pundits will start believing that he is a potential starter.

Right now. after the Bears game, there is *nothing* to dispel the summary that Mike White cant get the job done under a strong pass rush.  Currently, the stats show the Bears as having 28th ranked pass rush.  Not much of a test.

Upcoming games against the Lions and Buffalo will be more revealing of realities.  Detroit does not have a daunting pass rush if you count sacks, but they generate a lot more pressure than Chicago.  They also cover much better.  Buffalo is about 13th in the league as far as sacks go and they have a lot of QB pressures.  They are also one of the better defenses as far as covering the pass catchers. 

Those two upcoming games will be revealing with respect to what type of QB Mike White is. 

I believe I already know.

Let's wait and see. 

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Guys like you are why this thread was made.

So what is this assumption based off that he is not good enough? 

Look, you are reading too much into this dismantling of a bad Chicago team that has traded away its best players, opening up cap space, and was pretty banged up that was also missing its  starting QB. If White puts up 350 and 3 TDs with no picks on the Vikes and Bills, I will most likely change my tune but am going by past history. What I do know he is right now is a hold the fort player. That isn't  a rip, but as constructed right now, this team only goes so far with him. I didn't  buy into the Zach hype and I'm not buying into the White hype either.  

• Sympathy 1

I don't see how people think Mike White is being disrespected. I think he's being universally praised. 

It's not an insult to acknowledge that Mike White has his limitations. Our own coaches have vocally admitted that. By no means should that suggest he can't make the most out of his opportunity and be a long-term starting QB. Tom Brady was a limited who went on to become the best QB ever. Kurt Warner was limited and overlooked yet he went on to be a Hall of Fame quarterback. Add Matt Schaub, Matt Hasselbeck, Doug Flutie, Jake Delhomme, Marc Bulger, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon to the very long list of guys who went on to have success despite being unnoticed early on. In the same breath, there have been others who've had unreal production when they were awarded an opportunity to play, but were unable to sustain it long-term given their limitations. 

In 2013, Nick Foles threw 23 TDs to 2 INTs with 2645 yards while completing 64% of his passes across 10 starts (began the season as a backup). He had a game that year where he completed 22/28 passes and threw for 406 yards and 7 TDs with no turnovers. He was anointed the teams franchise QB the following year, yet the NFL picked up on his limitations and he crashed down to earth prior to getting injured, which gave way to Mark Sanchez. Our very own Mark Sanchez completed 64.1% of his passes (a career high) threw for 2418 yards, 14 TDs and 11 INTs across 8 starts. The Eagles would go on to trade Foles to the Rams, who made him their starting QB the following year. The experiment lasted less than a full season and he went on to become one of the best backup QBs ever, ultimately winning a Superbowl with the Eagles as the backup-turned-starter. The Bears traded for him, it didn't work out, and he's been bouncing around as a 2nd/3rd string QB since. 

In 2017, Case Keenum threw 22 TDs to 7 INTs with 3547 yards while completing 67.6% of his passes across 15 starts (began the season as a backup). He had a game that year where he completed 25/33 passes and threw for 369 yards and 3 TDs with no turnovers. The Vikings moved on from him the following year, he signed with the Broncos and it kind of unraveled on him. He has become a high end backup/spot starter ever since. 

The morale of the story: if you're a Jets fan, you should be thrilled with Mike White and what he's been able to do in 3 of his 4 starts. In a perfect world, he goes on to replicate the career arc of Kurt Warner, but it's also OK to be cautious and understand that typically "system" QBs with a limited skillset generally are not the types who go on to have sustainable success in the NFL; the players with the most talent who are able to put it all together tend to be the ones that do find that sustainable success. If he doesn't go on to be a long-term starting QB, it wouldn't be the first and most certainly be the last time a guy had stellar production in spots. Its not taking anything away from Mike White, rather acknowledging that there have been plenty of QBs who came out of nowhere and produced statistically, but were not able to sustain that production due to their lack of physical gifts. 

• Upvote 2

"I don't get the blatant Mike White disrescpt from the media or fans. Let the kid PROVE he is the long term answer. "

You are targeting the wrong people here in your original post.  The fans and the media do not decide who plays.  It is the coaches and the gm who decides who plays.  The Jets coaches and front office decided they liked joe flacco better than Mike White when Wilson was hurt.

Over the last two years White should have had about another 5 games under his belt minimum.  Playing a guy with one foot out of the league with zero upside over a developmental guy that had good and bad games before but at least showed potential was flat out stupid.  A number of us on here said so at each Flacco start.

Probably the same reason the miners and nfl always want to move from garapolo. There is always the hope that you can land a top 5 qb.

whites sample size is small but he’s been impressive.  He’s big, has a good arm, accurate and seems to process and make decisions fast.  That’s a winning formula eapeciallly in this offense  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Look, you are reading too much into this dismantling of a bad Chicago team that has traded away its best players, opening up cap space, and was pretty banged up that was also missing its  starting QB. If White puts up 350 and 3 TDs with no picks on the Vikes and Bills, I will most likely change my tune but am going by past history. What I do know he is right now is a hold the fort player. That isn't  a rip, but as constructed right now, this team only goes so far with him. I didn't  buy into the Zach hype and I'm not buying into the White hype either.  

Why? What is your take based on? His draft position?

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Because moronic politics, that’s why.  Same reason Saleh vehemently underplayed White’s performance.  “He played in the system and did the easy things easily.”  BS.  He had the best QB performance this season by far.  If he did everything you expected him to do, then shame on you for waiting to play him.  We’d have won that pats game and been atop our division.

People wouldn’t shut up about the Zach Wilson-Josh Allen comparison this past year and a half, yet Mike White turning into a Jimmy Garrapolo is somehow out of the realm of possibility.  Why?  Cuz he was on the practice squad for a bit?

If Mike White plays competent these next two weeks, the QB situation will officially be less about Zach and more about White.  Should White Lightning lead us to marginal success in the playoffs, I don’t know how you don’t roll with him as the bona fide starter next year.  If you get cute and try to force Zach because of draft politics, it’ll most likely backfire like the Trey Lance situation.

preach

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

As far as Jets fans are concerned, I think we are just tempering our enthusiasm from just one game.  We want to see it again next week against Minnesota before going "all in on Mike".  I want Mike to be the answer, and I want Mike to lead us to the promised land, which is the playoffs this year.  I do not want Zach back on the field.  But I'm not willing to proclaim Mike "the answer" just yet.  I want to continue to see it starting next game against a quality opponent.  If he plays the way he did yesterday, then I think I will be "all in". lol

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Let's assume he plays well the rest of the year,  as a free agent do you give him 28 million a year? Because that is what marginal franchise qbs like cousins get.

How much are YOU really in on Mike White? 

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Probably the same reason the miners and nfl always want to move from garapolo. There is always the hope that you can land a top 5 qb.

whites sample size is small but he’s been impressive.  He’s big, has a good arm, accurate and seems to process and make decisions fast.  That’s a winning formula eapeciallly in this offense  

image.thumb.png.b3fc253963d6d6f054bb2297e8720f83.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Fair statement.  He doesn't have a deep arm, nor is he really a mobile qb, compared to the top prospects.  But what is intriguing about him is his quick decision-making and accuracy.  Would you rather have him or Mac Jones?  Similar comps to me, but right now I lean Mike White.  To me, he has a trial in the next few games to overcome his draft position bias and career back-up persona to move ahead of the free agent QBs we would likely pursue to compete with Zach and/or take over outright.  To me the offseason list is Garropallo, Brissett, Darnold, Minshew, with the wild card being Mike White in the next few weeks.  Where he fits into that list will become apparent after he plays against bigtime defenses. And a big "if he stays healthy".  I'm rooting for him to make his case.