Forcing Douglas and Saleh to take the "fall" for Wilson is stupid. It was the right move, but drafting QBs is a crapshoot.

52 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So who was the "right" horse???

Why is this even a question. Any other QB in that draft would have been a better choice. Zach is the worst QB out of that draft. There are #3 QBs playing on Miami and the 9ers who are better than Zach. I don't care if you feel you need to take a shot. When you select 2nd overall, you better not be picking them worst player at his position for 2 years who is so bad, he got benched in favor of a practice squad player. 

They’re not taking the fall for Zach. JD and Saleh have both done a good enough job outside of the QB position that they are getting a second swing. That’s rare when you miss as bad as we did on Zach and speaks to the rest of the team they built together. Miss again however and they’re both gone

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So who was the "right" horse???

I used to spend a lot of time at Belmont Park and Aqueduct. One thing I learned is it’s alright to sit a race out.

Nobody had a gun to JD’s head forcing him to choose a QB in ‘21. The SF trade option was a very real alternative available to him, as were other players in that spot.
It’s not like we were a player away. We were far from it, and we had a very inexperienced, new CS coming in also. There’s a reason why so many people thought taking Wilson was a bad move at the time, and it turns out they (we) were correct.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Not going to read the long post because the wrong coaches were in place.  JD and RS are directly responsible for that so they can own the results.  

If Zach success or was a bust the approach year 1-2 was poor.  If they did everything well enough than so be it.  

Wrong coaches or not, Zach Wilson is not now a legitimate starting QB.  Not NFL caliber.  Maybe in 10 yrs.  Probably not. 

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Seems like most people on this board want a pound of flesh from Douglas and/or Saleh for the Wilson pick. They also claim it was an "epic" disaster.  I don't think either statement is close to being accurate.

Wilson was the consensus second pick in the 2021 draft. If the Jets didn't take him, the 49ers were going to pick him 3rd after they traded up. Are the 49ers a bad organization?  

When you get a high draft pick and have no QB, it makes perfect sense to take a swing. If it was any other season, a 2 win Jets team in 2020 would have had the first pick and Lawrence would be the QB. Then Douglas would be a messiah. Instead, the Jets perennial "good fortune" and stupidity in winning those two games late in 2020 kicked in and Lawrence is a Jaguar. If the Jets took Lawrence at #1 in 2021, people would be pushing for a Douglas statue at MetLife.  There is quite a bit of luck in the QB drafting thing, and the Jets have had no luck at all.  

What other QB drafted in 2021 is a future NFL starter, let alone franchise QB? Lance? He can't stay on the field and is as raw as they come. His days in SF seem over. Fields? He appears to be a running back playing QB and is struggling to pick up the NFL passing game and to process things quickly.  He's on the same path as Wilson, except the Bears will be forced to evaluate him longer and will pass on a QB again this year and that may come back to haunt them.  Mac Jones? He is physically limited and appears to be no better than a future journeyman. He may get one more year on a fading Pats team.

Keeping Darnold was not the answer either. He has shown absolutely nothing in 5 years now. Yes, the Jets could have kept him and traded down and filled in more of the  roster, but they'd be in the same place now - a middling NFL team with a strong roster and no. QB.

In today's NFL, it pays to take a chance on a young QB on a rookie deal. The repercussions from missing on a draft pick are not nearly as great as missing on a veteran free agent QB or a trade (see Denver's Russell Wilson mess). Spending $30-40 million over 4 years on a rookie QB is far less disastrous than spending $100-150 million for 3-4 years for a free agent, or 3-4 early draft picks and $100-200 million on a QB trade.  Deciding to sign Carr or Rodgers this offseason and getting it wrong is far worse than missing on Wilson.  The resources needed for a veteran QB are far greater than on a high draft pick QB.  That is what makes it worth it to take a shot at the college QB when you get a chance. If it hits, you win the lottery. 

Douglas and Saleh do not have to "pay" for taking a shot on Wilson. That is a ridiculous take propagated by an often ignorant fan base. Teams miss on drafted QBs more than they hit. Look at the NFL junkyard littered with failed QB prospects - Winston, Mariotta, Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Wilson, Lance, (soon to be Fields and Jones ), Haskins, Lock, Wentz, Lynch, Bortles, Manzeil, Bridgewater.... Compare that to the few that make it. It does not appear easy to determine which college QBs will make the grade and which will not. Did the Chargers really know that Herbert was the real deal in 2020 when they took him at 6 after Tua, or were they just lucky? I think it is the latter. If the 2020 QB class was available in 2021, the Jets may have had Herbert rather than Wilson. Does that really make the Chargers Tom Telesco better at evaluating QBs than Douglas?  Nope. It makes Telesco lucky he had an early pick that year instead of the following year.   

Herbert is also starting to look like Matt Ryan 2.0 where they look like Tarzan in the regular season and play like Jane in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Seems like most people on this board want a pound of flesh from Douglas and/or Saleh for the Wilson pick. They also claim it was an "epic" disaster.  I don't think either statement is close to being accurate.

Wilson was the consensus second pick in the 2021 draft. If the Jets didn't take him, the 49ers were going to pick him 3rd after they traded up. Are the 49ers a bad organization?  

When you get a high draft pick and have no QB, it makes perfect sense to take a swing. If it was any other season, a 2 win Jets team in 2020 would have had the first pick and Lawrence would be the QB. Then Douglas would be a messiah. Instead, the Jets perennial "good fortune" and stupidity in winning those two games late in 2020 kicked in and Lawrence is a Jaguar. If the Jets took Lawrence at #1 in 2021, people would be pushing for a Douglas statue at MetLife.  There is quite a bit of luck in the QB drafting thing, and the Jets have had no luck at all.  

What other QB drafted in 2021 is a future NFL starter, let alone franchise QB? Lance? He can't stay on the field and is as raw as they come. His days in SF seem over. Fields? He appears to be a running back playing QB and is struggling to pick up the NFL passing game and to process things quickly.  He's on the same path as Wilson, except the Bears will be forced to evaluate him longer and will pass on a QB again this year and that may come back to haunt them.  Mac Jones? He is physically limited and appears to be no better than a future journeyman. He may get one more year on a fading Pats team.

Keeping Darnold was not the answer either. He has shown absolutely nothing in 5 years now. Yes, the Jets could have kept him and traded down and filled in more of the  roster, but they'd be in the same place now - a middling NFL team with a strong roster and no. QB.

In today's NFL, it pays to take a chance on a young QB on a rookie deal. The repercussions from missing on a draft pick are not nearly as great as missing on a veteran free agent QB or a trade (see Denver's Russell Wilson mess). Spending $30-40 million over 4 years on a rookie QB is far less disastrous than spending $100-150 million for 3-4 years for a free agent, or 3-4 early draft picks and $100-200 million on a QB trade.  Deciding to sign Carr or Rodgers this offseason and getting it wrong is far worse than missing on Wilson.  The resources needed for a veteran QB are far greater than on a high draft pick QB.  That is what makes it worth it to take a shot at the college QB when you get a chance. If it hits, you win the lottery. 

Douglas and Saleh do not have to "pay" for taking a shot on Wilson. That is a ridiculous take propagated by an often ignorant fan base. Teams miss on drafted QBs more than they hit. Look at the NFL junkyard littered with failed QB prospects - Winston, Mariotta, Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Wilson, Lance, (soon to be Fields and Jones ), Haskins, Lock, Wentz, Lynch, Bortles, Manzeil, Bridgewater.... Compare that to the few that make it. It does not appear easy to determine which college QBs will make the grade and which will not. Did the Chargers really know that Herbert was the real deal in 2020 when they took him at 6 after Tua, or were they just lucky? I think it is the latter. If the 2020 QB class was available in 2021, the Jets may have had Herbert rather than Wilson. Does that really make the Chargers Tom Telesco better at evaluating QBs than Douglas?  Nope. It makes Telesco lucky he had an early pick that year instead of the following year.   

I agree a little, but not really. Yeah he was the obvious pick.. we knew it, the media knew it, every mock draft knew it, and the Jets knew it. However taking away accountability because of something being the consensus is a slippery slope. You picked him, that’s your guy.

Also, other teams receive praise when they go against the consensus and it ends up working out in their favor, so teams should always be held accountable even if they make what seems like the obvious pick at that time.

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Luck is certainly involved and we have def had some bad luck! 

4 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Wilson was not the consensus number 2 pick. He was a workout warrior who flew up the boards. Because of a stupid pass in basketball shorts. It was always Trevor and than fields. 

I have no problem with joe d taking a qb. But when the one you pick puts up Jamarcus russel and Ryan leaf stats, a firing shouldn’t be off the table. 

Fields was falling down the boards after his last game in college. He was not the consensus #2 pick. Sorry. It was Zach Wilson for at least the week before the draft. 

51 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Fields was falling down the boards after his last game in college. He was not the consensus #2 pick. Sorry. It was Zach Wilson for at least the week before the draft. 

Thanks for proving my point lol. Like I said Zach rose up the boards late.

Since high school Trevor Lawrence and fields were both highly touted. Through 3 seasons in college Lawrence and fields were always 1 and 2.

it’s the stuff that happened after the season. All the overanalyzing and combine workouts is when Zach came from no where and overtook fields. Zach was a 1 year wonder.  I never understood his hype.

yes fields didn’t play great against Alabama in his final game. but I think he destroyed Clemson the week prior throwing like 6 tds?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Since high school Trevor Lawrence and fields were both highly touted. Through 3 seasons in college Lawrence and fields were always 1 and 2.

it’s the stuff that happened after the season. All the overanalyzing and combine workouts is when Zach came from no where and overtook fields. Zach was a 1 year wonder.  I never understood his hype.

yes fields didn’t play great against Alabama in his final game. but I think he destroyed Clemson the week prior throwing like 6 tds?

You have no point. Shocking 

• More Ugh 1

16 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Fields is looking like a bust as well though. It's just going to take a year or two longer for the Bears to accept that.  

I think it's the evaluation/management of Wilson. The kid has talent... But he is incredibly raw and flawed ... A true project.

How did they think starting him out of the gate would work with the holes in his game ??

Spectacular fail.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I should have known that by posting this topic, I'd get the same posts from the same people that I've seen for a year and a half. Fire them all, epic fail, beating the dead horse on Wilson, blah blah blah........

Then people come out with trade a boatload of picks and spend hundreds of millions on Rodgers or Jackson and I just shake my head.  Or the woulda shoulda coulda posts on the handful of QBs that panned out - should have drafted Allen, Mahomes, etc.

Or the posts that say draft Levis as if going to the well again this season  and picking whatever QB is there at 13 is the clear answer.  

I’ll reiterate from an earlier post I made , before doing so, complements for all your strong detail, SF blew 3 #1’s on Lance in the same draft as Wilson and they also wanted to draft Wilson very badly if he were available.

SF is a far better organization than the Jets.  They made what is probably a more egregious mistake at QB in Wilson’s draft than the Jets did.

The Jets took another shot in drafting a QB high, and they Whiffed….Again.

This whole drawn out saga with so many continuing to bring up the disaster that is Zach Wilson should be put to bed now….for good.

I’m just worried that they’re going to give up the whole farm for Rodgers, starting with at least 2 #1’s and something will go wrong there.  
What I’m quite sure about is that Douglas and Saleh will Never roll into 2023 with anyone unproven at QB.

I’ll reiterate from an earlier post I made , before doing so, complements for all your strong detail, SF blew 3 #1’s on Lance in the same draft as Wilson and they also wanted to draft Wilson very badly if he were available.
SF is a far better organization than the Jets.  They made what is probably a more egregious mistake at QB in Wilson’s draft than the Jets did.
This whole drawn out saga with so many continuing to bring up the disaster that is Zach Wilson should be put to bed now….for good.
I’m just worried that they’re going to give up the whole farm for Rodgers, starting with at least 2 #1’s and something will go wrong there.  
What I’m quite sure about is that Douglas and Saleh will Never roll into 2023 with anyone unproven at QB.
The draft capital will hurt for sure... But it may be the only way.

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And when do you roll the dice on the QB?  When you build the team and start winning 9-10 games and have a late round first round and no QBs are available?  It's easy to say  "build the team first" but you still need that QB and getting one late in the first round or in free agency is even more of a crapshoot than drafting one early. 

It appears that approach worked for the Steelers.  

8 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

They’re both responsible 

JD for drafting him

Saleh for not making him earn it, failing to develop him, and continuing to allow him to skate on scholarship based purely on sunk draft capital

Saleh didn't let Zach skate on scholarship. He fought jd to bench him and start Mike white 

Not that it will save either of they're jobs but Saleh knows Zach stinks. Jd is in denial 

• Upvote 1

The 49ers also made a nice playoff run last year and again this year. Jets fans would be much more forgiving if they were in the postseason this year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

If they are not firing these guys after next year they will need raises and extensions
Because both of their deals are running out in 2 years and most teams don't like to have lame ducks 
Does any really believe jd deserves a raise? 

I’ve argued with people who have called him the greatest GM in team history

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Saleh didn't let Zach skate on scholarship. He fought jd to bench him and start Mike white 
Not that it will save either of they're jobs but Saleh knows Zach stinks. Jd is in denial 
That's not what I keep hearing come out of the Bald Beast's mouth .. who starts is indeed his decision.

10 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You always criticize, but never ever offer a solution. So what is your fix for this team @kevinc855Kevin?

Who should be the QB?  

Who should be the coach?

Who should be the GM?

What's the plan going forward?

How do you fix the OL?

Who is your pick for OC? 

What's your plan for free agency? The Draft?

Who should the Jets keep?  Release?

Let's hear it.

Explain to me your plan to make twitter profitable with 12.5 Billion in debt that needs to be serviced and can't be sold to investors?  

Pay me 5 million per and I'll spend 20 years getting the experience to give you a detailed plan to fix the NY Jets.

What's your plan for snacks during the games this weekend?

Were fans we get to boo, cheer and critize.  It's in the job description.

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

SF also drafted a development QB this year before Lance got hurt and actually developed him.  It's also pretty early to write Lance off.

Jets drafted Morgan as a developmental QB.  SF drafted Purdy.  SF also didn't hand Lance the job and had Jimmy G on the roster for both of them to learn from before throwing them into the pool.

I think your concern is on point.  Reminds me of when the Jets lost a playoff game to the Steelers on a missed FG and thought they were a kicker away from the SB and drafted Nuge with a 2.  

There blaming the season on Zach and Lefleur and pretending the Jets are a QB with a cap killing deal away from a SB.  I'm not convinced Saleh could take the 85 bears with Dan Marino to the SB.  

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

JD didn’t do his homework on Becton either. He saddled this team with two zeros who can’t play because he was too lazy to do a deep dive into who they were.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Wilson was not the consensus number 2 pick. He was a workout warrior who flew up the boards. Because of a stupid pass in basketball shorts. It was always Trevor and than fields. 

I have no problem with joe d taking a qb. But when the one you pick puts up Jamarcus russel and Ryan leaf stats, a firing shouldn’t be off the table. 

so how's fields doing?  don't the bears have the first pick?  think they stick with fields?

12 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Fields? He appears to be a running back playing QB and is struggling to pick up the NFL passing game and to process things quickly.  He's on the same path as Wilson,

Ummmm, Justin Fields just did something nobody in the history of the NFL has done.  

This is the same path as Wilson, how?