What will Aaron Rodgers cost via trade?

Morrissey

Realistically I think the Jets could land Rodgers for something like a first-round pick and a conditional third-rounder in 2024 or two second-round picks (2024 becoming a first-rounder if certain achievements are reached). 

The Packers made it clear that they are not playing hardball anymore. If they mutually believe its time to part ways, the Packers will give Rodgers a list of teams that they will trade him to, then the Packers would work on compensation with those teams. But given Rodgers' age and contract, compensation wouldn't be nearly as vast as we've seen for some of the other QB trades recently. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Realistically I think the Jets could land Rodgers for something like a first-round pick and a conditional third-rounder in 2024 or two second-round picks (2024 becoming a first-rounder if certain achievements are reached). 

The Packers made it clear that they are not playing hardball anymore. If they mutually believe its time to part ways, the Packers will give Rodgers a list of teams that they will trade him to, then the Packers would work on compensation with those teams. But given Rodgers' age and contract, compensation wouldn't be nearly as vast as we've seen for some of the other QB trades recently. 

Considering Green Bay and Rodgers would want to get this done before free agency, considering the ramifications it would have for their free agency needs and draft strategy. 

I think Rodgers would clearly be our best option, making us real contenders...and really hope something gets worked out with us.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Considering Green Bay and Rodgers would want to get this done before free agency, considering the ramifications it would have for their free agency needs and draft strategy. 

I think Rodgers would clearly be our best option, making us real contenders...and really hope something gets worked out with us.

I don't think there will be a massive rush, but yes a decision could happen sooner than we think. I don't think either side would want it to drag out until August like it did for Favre. Much like that year, I also don't see any scenario where the Packers tell Rodgers their plan is to go sign a bunch of veterans around him in attempt to run it back one more time... that ship has pretty much sailed. I think the Packers pitch to Rodgers is more of a soft rebuild... inject cheap young talent into the roster while resetting their finances. If Rodgers doesn't buy-in to that, you would figure he would want to plot out where he would be playing sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I don't think there will be a massive rush, but yes a decision could happen sooner than we think. I don't think either side would want it to drag out until August like it did for Favre. Much like that year, I also don't see any scenario where the Packers tell Rodgers their plan is to go sign a bunch of veterans around him in attempt to run it back one more time... that ship has pretty much sailed. I think the Packers pitch to Rodgers is more of a soft rebuild... inject cheap young talent into the roster while resetting their finances. If Rodgers doesn't buy-in to that, you would figure he would want to plot out where he would be playing sooner rather than later. 

Are the 2023 Jets a soft rebuild?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Are the 2023 Jets a soft rebuild?

Not really. I don't think we're going to be big spenders or anything but we're essentially entering our 3-year window this year. If things go according to plan we're not going to see too much roster turnover and a lot of our core players are just coming into their own. Ideally you take advantage of that by winning now while building pipelines by drafting and developing talent at key positions. That way when some of these players leave via FA we have their cheap replacements already on the roster in preparation for a "soft rebuild" a few years from now. 

35 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think this is about right.

Plus GB may not be as rigid in minimum compensation as some think. Truth is if they don't think they're able to assemble a SB team around him this coming season, they may as well trade him, let his dead cap all hit at once, and then be done with it all while giving Love a full year's look with a WR they can now afford (even if they backload that WR some to finance it, as well as rework 1-2 others to spread their hits out further, and lessen the hit of the full $40MM donut-hole for Rodgers in 2023). 

They're only going to get in deeper $-wise with Rodgers, so they may be willing to take a lot less than we think just to get him off their books and get on with their post-Rodgers lives now, and give Love their likely last season of Aaron Jones before he hits the wall himself.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think this is about right.

Plus GB may not be as rigid in minimum compensation as some think. Truth is if they don't think they're able to assemble a SB team around him this coming season, they may as well trade him, let his dead cap all hit at once, and then be done with it all while giving Love a full year's look with a WR they can now afford (even if they backload that WR some to finance it, as well as rework 1-2 others to spread their hits out further, and lessen the hit of the full $40MM donut-hole for Rodgers in 2023). 

They're only going to get in deeper $-wise with Rodgers, so they may be willing to take a lot less than we think just to get him off their books and get on with their post-Rodgers lives now, and give Love their likely last season of Aaron Jones before he hits the wall himself.

Totally agree.  To get out from under the burden of that contract, I'd be surprised if GB's looking for significant compensation.  Plus, in what little we've seen, it looks like Love can play.  So all parties may have aligned interests here to work something out...

• Upvote 1

The Packers will likely sign up for Jordan Love’s 5th year option for 2024, but they need to do that by March 2023.  

I do not see how the Packers could carry both Love and Rodgers in 2024.  In 2023 Love is cheap. 

We discussed having the Jets take Love and having the Packers stick with Rodgers for a few years. 

I can see Woody doing it because the Jets are desperate, but I don’t see how a long term path to success is burning the 10 pick on a T who can’t stay on the field, the 2 pick for a QB who can’t play, and then the 13 pick for an older QB who can play, but maybe only for 2 years.  That is a steep price for two years of good QB with a roster with still alot of holes.

Who is going to block for Rodgers, catch for Rodgers and play defense if they Jets burn all of their draft picks. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's due a ~$60MM signing/option bonus in March. Yes his cap hit would only be 1/4 of that for 2023 - since his last extension ran through the 2026 season - but the other $45MM still has to come off.

• If it's a 1 & done, then that $45MM all hits in 2024.
  • If it's 2 & done, then 2024 comes with another $50MM on top of that, again with only 1/3 (1 of the now-remaining 3 years) coming in the immediate season, plus another $15MM (1/4 of the prior $60MM) also hitting in 2024.
  • Then if it gets as far as year 3, when he tells his team to pound sand, you've got the remaining ~$30MM from 2023's ~$60MM, plus another ~$31MM from 2024's $47MM option bonus -- about $60MM in dead cap following the 2024 season, and - after turning down his request for a pay bump from $21MM to $40-50MM again - you have to pray & ask Rodgers to be nice to us to walk away after June 1st to not have all of it hit in 2025. (Can still work around that by backloading $30MM to others so they hit more after 2025, but it can get a little messy even if it's doable). 

Why is he telling his team to pound sand after 2024? Because those 2025 and 2026 seasons are fake/fluff years. He's not playing for $21MM in 2025 and then $15MM in 2026. If he's still worth having he's going to want those years bumped up in pay, too.

Anyway, it is doable -- but then the team is going all-in on 2023 (or 2023 + 2024), with an expected dump season in 2025. Only way out of that future for 2025+ is if we find a dirt-cheap rookie starter locked in at $1-2MM/year like Purdy, so the total QB number for the team can be swallowed without tanking before they start.

What won't help absorb all that is dumping multiple high picks. Again it's doable but to fully offset it Douglas would to have to hit on 2-3 more cheap FAs and day 3 picks - really hit on 1-2 of them, not merely find cheap but meh temporary starters - than we'd otherwise have to. 

So if a team traded for them, and he then played in 2023 and 2024 and then retired, what would the cap hits be?

Trade for Jordan Love cheaper he is young maybe he develops into a franchise QB. The Packers are handcuffed to Rogers there is no cap room to resign Love. Offer 2nd and a 5 this year with next year's 3rd and if packers want more a conditional next years first round pick If Love reaches certain performance levels including playoffs.

6 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

So if a team traded for them, and he then played in 2023 and 2024 and then retired, what would the cap hits be?

If he retired immediately after the 2024 season, then in 2025 he would no longer be on the team and his cap number - "dead" cap - would be $61MM:

$16MM cap hit in 2023

• paid $59.5MM: $58.3MM option bonus #1 (OB1) + $1.2MM salary
    • (4 yrs left under contract therefore OB1 is amortized over 4 years)
  • cap hit calculation = $14.58MM/yr OB1 amortization + $1.2MM salary
  • 2023 net = $15.8MM cap hit (call it $16MM)

$32MM cap hit in 2024

• paid $49.3MM: $47MM option bonus #2 (OB2) + $2.3MM salary
    • (now just 3 yrs left under contract therefore OB2 is amortized over 3 years)
  • cap hit calculation = $14.58MM/yr OB1 amortization + $15.67/yr OB2 amortization + $2.3MM salary
  • 2024 net = $32.55MM cap hit (round down & call it $32MM because we rounded up the prior season)

Totals:

• Total cap hits = $48MM
  • Total paid = $109MM
  • Leftover = $61MM = this is how much dead cap accelerates to the 2025 cap if he abruptly quits/retires after the 2024 season. It's the amount his new team paid him, that hadn't yet come off the new team's salary cap. If it's paid to him it has to come off the cap. 

I think my math is right here, unless I forgot to carry the 1 somewhere.

Anyway, about $60MM.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he retired immediately after the 2024 season, then in 2025 he would no longer be on the team and his cap number - "dead" cap - would be $61MM:

$16MM cap hit in 2023

$32MM cap hit in 2024

• cap hit calculation = $14.58MM/yr OB1 amortization + $15.67/yr OB2 amortization + $2.3MM salary
  • 2024 net = $32.55MM cap hit (round down & call it $32MM because we rounded up the prior season)

Totals:

• Total cap hits = $48MM
  • Total paid = $109MM
  • Leftover = $61MM = this is how much dead cap accelerates to the 2025 cap if he abruptly quits/retires after the 2024 season. It's the amount his new team paid him, that hadn't yet come off the new team's salary cap. If it's paid to him it has to come off the cap. 

Anyway, about $60MM.

Considering that - two year window of reasonable salary for a great (but aging) quarterback, but a huge # in 2025 if he retires.

Obviously the draft pick compensation we'd pay to Green Bay is key, but I'm saying just from a "this is the definitive window" (and assuming he doesn't restructure his deal to mitigate any of that) - are you good with that (from a cap perspective)?

30 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Considering that - two year window of reasonable salary for a great (but aging) quarterback, but a huge # in 2025 if he retires.

Obviously the draft pick compensation we'd pay to Green Bay is key, but I'm saying just from a "this is the definitive window" (and assuming he doesn't restructure his deal to mitigate any of that) - are you good with that (from a cap perspective)?

It's definitely high. So long as he gets paid the same amount he'd have no reason to turn down structuring it differently if approached. Actually he makes more that way (NYJ being in a higher tax state he'd net a little more by having it as salary: lower - or no - state taxes on road games). All that's small potatoes, and tbh Douglas might like this structure because it helps him spend more for 2023 and 2024 to therefore help keep his job longer.

If you want to look at it as pure salary (in theory if they could get him for a single 3rd rounder just as a salary dump by GB), yeah I probably do this, and let the chips fall where they may. I know he's older but his arm doesn't look shot like some other older QBs. Their line was also a mess, and not just due to injuries like the Jets, plus his receivers are garbage, plus didn't he have an injury on his throwing hand earlier on (including when we played him), and he still put in what'd be at worst an all-time top-5 Jets QB season.

Bring him in with a better OC and we may find suddenly that Moore isn't useless, Garrett is a 1600-yard WR not 1100, the TE dropsies half go away when the ball drills them between the numbers, and even some just-ok OL play looks better when our QB isn't either just standing there taking a pounding or running around like a headless chicken.

Plus just the more global reason: I watch football because I hope to see something exciting, and I'm a Jets fan. Rodgers checks off both boxes, even if he is a smug douche and is turning 40. Part of the package, imo. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

$16MM cap hit in 2023

$32MM cap hit in 2024

Totals:

• Total cap hits = $48MM
  • Total paid = $109MM

Anyway, about $60MM.

So we'd get him at reasonable cap numbers in '23 and '24, but bear the risk of getting absolutely body slammed in 2025 with a $61 million cap hit if he decides to retire (at 41 years old, which seems not unreasonable from his perspective)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

$16MM cap hit in 2023

$32MM cap hit in 2024

Totals:

• Total cap hits = $48MM
  • Total paid = $109MM

Anyway, about $60MM.

I suppose the Jets could opt to front load some of those option bonuses to hit harder in 2023 and 2024?

23 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Breakdown of Rodgers contract per OTC

https://www.google.com/amp/s/overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to-the-packers-options-with-aaron-rodgers/amp

He has an option that must be exercised by week 1, would drop his cap hit to $15m apparently. There is another option after the season should he decide he wants to keep playing. This would basically be a 1-2 year deal based on Rodgers health/Zachs development.

I would want to send a 2024 conditional pick similar to Favre:

3rd - baseline

2nd - playoffs

1st - SB

The piece I'm not too sure of is how much Rodgers controls a trade without a no trade clause. He could threaten retirement and cripple any team, perhaps that's how he would dictate where he wants to go?

Jets may not be attractive given that JD and Saleh are probably on a playoff or bust mandate. But Rodgers would immediately make the Jets a playoff team. 

9 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I guess no one read Peter King’s column this morning where he said he thinks it would cost at least two first round picks for Rodgers?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/fmia-divisional-brock-purdy-49ers-bengals-eagles/

Oh I heard. No way in hell I'm paying 2x firsts. 1 is fine. But 2 for a guy that may not play beyond next season? A guy that will hem and haw after the season and "take some time to decide" his future? No thanks.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Bring back Farve and the Jets cheerleaders and we’re all set.

Lol.  I’ve completely flip flopped on this already.  Just get anyone with enough starts that the coaches don’t have to worry about the QB forgetting how to throw or where the check down is.  No more young kids 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Jets may not be attractive given that JD and Saleh are probably on a playoff or bust mandate. But Rodgers would immediately make the Jets a playoff team. 

Wouldn't that be an ideal scenario for Rodgers? A regime that is forced to go all in without their backs against the wall?

33 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Oh I heard. No way in hell I'm paying 2x firsts. 1 is fine. But 2 for a guy that may not play beyond next season? A guy that will hem and haw after the season and "take some time to decide" his future? No thanks.

If we traded a fourth for Favre why would we have to trade one first-rounder, let alone two, for Rodgers?  Green Bay will want to trade hi to an AFC team and there are not that many AFC teams that need Rodgers or can afford him.  Feels like Peter King is schilling for the Packers on this one.  I'm hopeful that Joe D will exercise some restraint with this.

• Upvote 1