Derek Carr would be terrible here

JETS SB

8 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Carr might lose us that AFC playoff matchup. But Jimmy G might not even be healthy enough to play if we even make it there with him.

I dont get why people want him. He should be plan E.

i would take almost every qb available over jimmy g. he won't stay healthy and he's only an average qb anyway. the risk/reward isn't there at all. best case scenario is he stays healthy next year and plays average football. and even if he makes it the whole next year healthy chaces are he will get hurt next year because he is just injury prone

• Upvote 1

Not certain if this got posted.

HENDERSON, Nevada -- Las Vegas Raidersquarterback Derek Carr, during what was likely his final appearance at the Raiders' practice facility, said he has no intention of extending the Feb. 15 trigger date on his contract to give the team additional time to resolve his situation.

Speaking during the Pro Bowl Games skills competition, Carr said he will not agree to amend the date by which more than $40 million in guarantees kick in, increasing the likelihood he'll be released by the team.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35579592/raiders-qb-derek-carr-not-extending-contract-trigger-date

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Not certain if this got posted.

HENDERSON, Nevada -- Las Vegas Raidersquarterback Derek Carr, during what was likely his final appearance at the Raiders' practice facility, said he has no intention of extending the Feb. 15 trigger date on his contract to give the team additional time to resolve his situation.

Speaking during the Pro Bowl Games skills competition, Carr said he will not agree to amend the date by which more than $40 million in guarantees kick in, increasing the likelihood he'll be released by the team.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35579592/raiders-qb-derek-carr-not-extending-contract-trigger-date

yeah why should he?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JETS SB said:

For so many reasons, he would be a bad fit here. Not saying he is a bad QB. I just don’t think he fits this system and this city and this fan base. 

1) 0-7 in games 37 degrees or lower. Our playoff matchups, if we want to make it anywhere in the AFC are Buffalo, Kansas City and Cincinnati, all cold weather cities playing in outdoor stadiums, not even mentioning playing in NE and Buffalo during the regular season, plus obviously playing here. Also saw a stat where he was 3-17 in games under 50 degrees. Though I didn’t verify that one.  

2) We would have to invest more in him than any of the other guys and we could be stuck with a huge terrible contract. At least we know Rodgers is likely here for 2 or 3 years and gone. Much more risk to our future in Derek Carr. 

3) Seems like a good dude, but the crying at the press conference would be destroyed by the press and the fan base here, especially if the team isn’t winning. He just doesn’t seem like a New York kind of guy. Hate Aaron all you want, he will stand up there, and give/take sh*t. 

4) He is just not a winner. Has never won a playoff game. Would rather have Jimmy G’s ability as lesser QB talent, but a winner in this system. 

I think the draft pick compensation in a trade, if that’s how it goes down, is a big deal. If we don’t have to give up much, then maybe it wouldn’t be terrible, but his contract will be a big one and one that will strap us for a long time, unlike the other options. Rodgers is very short term and Jimmy G wouldn’t cost us anywhere near as much. 

Absolutely.  Let's  stick with Zach. I'm sure one of the games he won was under 37 degrees. Thank you for this new bar we should judge a QB by.

Season 3 Reaction GIF by TV One

• Haha 1

Just now, neckdemon said:

yeah why should he?

Agreed. Some on the board think the Raiders can make it tough on him but Carr holds all the leverage. No trade clause, $40 mil guaranteed 3 days after the SB and a FU ?attitude.

All LV can do is hold on to Carr. He’ll most likely report late and have a passive aggressive attitude, which the Raiders do not need in the locker room. They’ll get Pennie’s on the $ in a trade so might as well cut bait.

20 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed. Some on the board think the Raiders can make it tough on him but Carr holds all the leverage. No trade clause, $40 mil guaranteed 3 days after the SB and a FU ?attitude.

All LV can do is hold on to Carr. He’ll most likely report late and have a passive aggressive attitude, which the Raiders do not need in the locker room. They’ll get Pennie’s on the $ in a trade so might as well cut bait.

exactly. he hold all the cards really. their only real choices seem to be what you said or release him in the next few days

I'd call the Raiders today and offer them a ridiculous package. Three first rounders, Elijah Moore and another player. A verbal agreement now and we can officially execute on March 15. That forces them to pick up the option until then.

Then, come March 15, notify them the offer has changed. Carr straight up for Zach.

Because f the Raiders.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Made for NY? I never understood this... Chad Pennington was from Tennessee and his favorite food was biscuits and gravy, and he did fine here, by Jets standards at least.

People mock him crying at the podium, I saw that as frustration and passion for his team.  He has lead football in comebacks for the last few years, is a 4 time pro bowler, and would hold most of this franchises records.

What about last night at that dumb pro bowl weekend dodgeball stuff, when he made a snide comment during an interview about going somewhere else, that was pretty "NY" wasn't it?

Give him a top 10 defense, a solid run game and better distributed weapons and see what he can do.  If it's not Rodgers, it should be Carr...

We are going to be left with our dicks in our hand and ride with Jacoby Brissett and some here will actually be happy about it.

12 hours ago, JETS SB said:

For so many reasons, he would be a bad fit here. Not saying he is a bad QB. I just don’t think he fits this system and this city and this fan base. 

1) 0-7 in games 37 degrees or lower. Our playoff matchups, if we want to make it anywhere in the AFC are Buffalo, Kansas City and Cincinnati, all cold weather cities playing in outdoor stadiums, not even mentioning playing in NE and Buffalo during the regular season, plus obviously playing here. Also saw a stat where he was 3-17 in games under 50 degrees. Though I didn’t verify that one.  

2) We would have to invest more in him than any of the other guys and we could be stuck with a huge terrible contract. At least we know Rodgers is likely here for 2 or 3 years and gone. Much more risk to our future in Derek Carr. 

3) Seems like a good dude, but the crying at the press conference would be destroyed by the press and the fan base here, especially if the team isn’t winning. He just doesn’t seem like a New York kind of guy. Hate Aaron all you want, he will stand up there, and give/take sh*t. 

4) He is just not a winner. Has never won a playoff game. Would rather have Jimmy G’s ability as lesser QB talent, but a winner in this system. 

I think the draft pick compensation in a trade, if that’s how it goes down, is a big deal. If we don’t have to give up much, then maybe it wouldn’t be terrible, but his contract will be a big one and one that will strap us for a long time, unlike the other options. Rodgers is very short term and Jimmy G wouldn’t cost us anywhere near as much. 

What is it's warmer in December than April in NJ. Hell, Monday it was 60 degrees.

I'll take "Weather Anomalies" for 300 Alex.

I love the cold weather argument, as if everywhere south of Jersey is paradise and everywhere north of Jersey is the Arctic. 

It gets cold in Charlotte, it snows in Atlanta, Texas is a tundra, etc. there are like 6 teams that play in truly warm weather during the winter. 

1 minute ago, the Claw said:

I love the cold weather argument, as if everywhere south of Jersey is paradise and everywhere north of Jersey is the Arctic. 

It gets cold in Charlotte, it snows in Atlanta, Texas is a tundra, etc. there are like 6 teams that play in truly warm weather during the winter. 

And 80% of them need quarterbacks!

OP should wash his mouth out with something (or whatever the message board equivalent of that might be).

"Terrible" was what we had here at QB the last two years.  Anything else needs to be measured against that before it can be described as being terrible and even if Carr comes in and underperforms the rest of the QBs in the NFL, let's just say bottom 1/3rd of the NFL, he would still be light years better than the dogsh1t served up by Zach Wilson who was last in a 1500 meter race and was lapped by the entire field in a 4-lap race he was so terrible.

So no, Carr will not be terrible.  He will probably be fair to middling and maybe even a bit better than that which will look to us like the 2nd coming of the best QBs ever to have played the game compared to what we have been looking at recently.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

• Upvote 2

Best scenario is probably to get Carr without giving up much of anything to do so and then give him the position for the next 2-3 years while being competitive and then have him get beaten out in year 3 or 4 by whatever mid-round stud we draft this year or next.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JETS SB said:

So, if he was the QB in Buffalo, I guess his record would be 0-80 at the home stadium.  lol

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd be thrilled if we landed Carr. Prefer Rodgers if we can get him for a decent trade price but Carr is heavily underrated by many on here.

He is younger by far than Rodgers, and if he is released Carr at 31 while holding onto high draft picks is longer term much better than Rodgers.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Does it concern you that the Packers are trying to move on from Rodgers ? 

No, because Rodgers is a massive pain in the ass egomaniac who’s owed $100 mil in cash and they have Jordan Love waiting in the wings. The Raiders are choosing to vacate the position entirely

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It doesn’t concern you guys that the Raiders have been trying to move on from Carr for the last three years?

The Raiders might be the one team dumber than we’ve been for the last two decades.

They’re about to move on from Derek Carr and replace him with injury prone Derek Carr.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No, because Rodgers is a massive pain in the ass egomaniac who’s owed $100 mil in cash and they have Jordan Love waiting in the wings. The Raiders are choosing to vacate the position entirely

The Raiders have cash problems and they stupidly handed Carr the contract they did. Letting him go is a salary dump first and foremost. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It doesn’t concern you guys that the Raiders have been trying to move on from Carr for the last three years?

The young , smart , durable , accurate QBs that can lead a team and are on a rookie deal seem to be unavailable so far 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'm kind of ambivalent on all the QBs available. All of them have warts, but all are likely a lot better than what the Jets ran out there this past season. 

Whoever the Jets end up getting, I hope that they retain enough cap space and their 1st round pick this year so that they can rebuild the OL. 

Sign a solid starting OT, draft another in first round, sign a JAG starting C (or resign McGovern if cheap), and draft a future starting C prospect in round 3 or 4.