Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My prediction: 

1. Jets do not get Rodgers.

2. Jets sign/trade for a 3rd tier guy:  Trubisky.  Jimmy G.  Mayfield.  Misnhew.  Heinicke.  White.

3. Zach Wilson starts at least half our games in 2023.

Must I pray to satan to prevent this from happening.... Jimmy "glassman" G , maybe but the rest of the list would make this board go.....nuclear explosion GIF

20 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Can any trades be announced before new league year begins at 4:00 pm on 3/15?

March
March 7 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
March 7 College  Pro  Days  Begin.    Workouts  of  a  school’s  Pro  Day-eligible  players  with  players  outside  of  the scheduled Pro Day activities are prohibited. Private dinners, meetings, interviews are permitted.
March 7-April 19 Draft-Eligible Facility Visits Begin. Clubs permitted 30 non-local players for physical exams/visits; no on- field workouts.
March 7-April 26 Video or telephone interviews with draft-eligible players begin. Three video or telephone interviews per player; no longer than one hour in length.
March 8-9 Deadline for clubs (60 day after final regular season game) to conduct physical examinations pursuant to CBA Article 45, Section 7(a) for players claiming the Extended Injury Protection Benefit for the 2023 season.
March 13-15 Negotiation Period. During the period beginning at 12:00 noon, New York time, on March 13 and ending at  3:59:59  p.m.,  New  York  time,  on  March  15,  clubs  are  permitted  to  contact,  and  enter  into  contract negotiations  with,  the  certified  agents  of  players  who  will  become  Unrestricted  Free  Agents  upon  the expiration of their 2022 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 15.
During  the  above  two-day  negotiating  period,  a  prospective  UFA  who  is  not  represented  by  an  NFLPA Certified  Contract  Advisor  is  permitted  to  communicate  directly  with  a  new  club’s  front  office  officials (excluding the Head Coach and other members of the club’s coaching staff) regarding contract negotiations.
No prospective Unrestricted Free Agent is permitted to execute a contract with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 15.
March 15 End/Start of League Year. Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2023 on all players who have option clauses in their 2022 contracts.
Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit Qualifying Offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.
Prior  to  4:00  p.m.,  New  York  time,  clubs  must  submit  a  Minimum  Salary  Tender  to  retain  exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2022 contracts who have fewer than three Accrued Seasons of free agency credit.
  Top 51 Rule is in effect. All clubs must be under the 2023 Salary Cap prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time. All 2022 NFL player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
The 2023 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
The first day of the 2023 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 15. Clubs will receive a Personnel Notice that will include all transactions submitted to the League office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 15.
March 15 Trading period for 2023. Trading begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2022 contracts.
March 15 Commencing  at  4:00  p.m.,  New  York  time,  Clubs  may  designate  up  to  two  Player  Contracts  that,  if terminated on or prior to June 1, 2023, and if not renegotiated after January 9, 2023, shall be treated as if terminated on June 2, subject to the further requirements of CBA Article 13, Section 6(b)(ii)(1).

Trades can be made prior to March 15th, just aren’t official until the 15th.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Rodgers was their first choice all along. Other than giving the usual whiners on this board a reason to claim the sky is falling, nothing huge happened today that impacts the Jets plans.

Carr going elsewhere definitely impacts the Jets leverage in trade negotiations. Whether Rodgers was their first choice or not is irrelevant.

• Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Don’t see Rodgers leaving GB, if he does I don’t see him wanting to play for the Jets, and if both of those things do happen, I predict it ends in disaster. 

If the Jets are involved, my default always is it will end in disaster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The only one of them that was a legit star and future hall of famer was Favre.  The other guys were mostly has beens or never were's 

Rodgers is on a different level even than Favre.  I have real concerns with Rodgers age, but if he's not really in decline you are getting a top 5 QB in the NFL.

Yep. That’s my point too. Those other guys like boomer and O’Donnell were pretty pricey for the time and really didn’t do much with the jets. Vinnie and fitzy were pretty much pulled off the scrap heap to be backups.  Same thing with mccown. In Rodgers, like Favre, they’d be getting a qb who has been to the show and has been a huge part of his teams success.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Carr going elsewhere definitely impacts the Jets leverage in trade negotiations. Whether Rodgers was their first choice or not is irrelevant.

Not exactly. We are only team showing ANY interest in Aaron rodgers. His own team doesn’t really want him lol. I would hope JD doesn’t try to outbid himself.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

If the #13th pick is traded to the Packers = Overpay

What if it’s swapped for the packers pick? There are lots of way to throw these picks around so the jets still get some good prospects this season. Plus, they pretty much have enough skill position talent. They need the beef so picking at 13 vice 15 doesn’t move the needle much.

53 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

I think the Jets get desperate and trade for him. He goes 4-7 or something and misses the rest of the season with injury and retires.

Green Bay gets out of that ugly contract, and gets some draft collateral from the Jets. And they actually improve upon their record from last season

This is the exact scenario I envision.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Lost his leverage with Carr gone will have to overpay (for one year of Rodgers) and likely this time next year will be looking for a QB again.

Snow Winter GIF by The Weather Channel

All about giving BYU one more opportunity to shart all over the field.

39 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

39 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

But I thought I read GB would owe AR more $$ if he was traded now, as opposed to after June 1, If that's the case the Jets are entering risky waters. 

20 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

So no trade can be announced for a week ... is that right ?

I'm pretty sure the trade will be public the moment it happens.  When it become official I honestly don't know how that works, but rest assured as soon as it's done - we'll know.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But I thought I read GB would owe AR more $$ if he was traded now, as opposed to after June 1, If that's the case the Jets are entering risky waters. 

No, they don't owe him any more total money - it's just how the contract it broken out.  Same total amount so it's just about moving money around.  That June 1 date is not affecting this in any way.

28 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

So no trade can be announced for a week ... is that right ?

You can announce a trade whenever, using the "X and Y have agreed to terms" language. 

It just isn't official till whatever league date rules allows for it.

• Sympathy 1

The way I look at it, The Jets are doing more of a favor to the Green Bay Packers than the Jets getting one of the best QB's to play the game, especially for the New York Jets.  

The Packers do not want him any longer, I think most can agree with that, and they certainly do not want to be on the hook for an additional $58 Million for him.  IMO. 

No one is turning down Aaron Rodgers the Player, but it is the other bullsh*t that gives genuine pause.  

That said, taking on a $58 Million Dollar Option, and an additional $40 million the 5th day of 2024, makes Rodgers a one year rental.  (under the current contract)  He will cost relatively nothing on the cap this year ($16 Million), so I would expect it to be restructred.  However, it is still $98 Million on just 2 options.  

What is a fair deal?  Certainly not top 3 rounds, and I think a deal (assuming the contract is restructured for retirement clauses) is swapping picks.  Packers favor our (lets say, but could be any round) second for their second.  Jets Favor, There second for our 3rd. 

Honestly, I do not know what the breach of contract is with an option if he retires, and it may be a moot point for all I know.  I am considering it as a signing bonus that counts against the cap if he retires, leaving $44 Million (Just on the $58 Million Option)  dead money in 2024.  

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No, they don't owe him any more total money - it's just how the contract it broken out.  Same total amount so it's just about moving money around.  That June 1 date is not affecting this in any way.

I hope not because if this drags out "unofficially" till June the  Jets are screwed.  And we'll all collectively lose our minds. 

Just now, hawk said:

The way I look at it, The Jets are doing more of a favor to the Green Bay Packers than the Jets getting one of the best QB's to play the game, especially for the New York Jets.  

The Packers do not want him any longer, I think most can agree with that, and they certainly do not want to be on the hook for an additional $58 Million for him.  IMO. 

No one is turning down Aaron Rodgers the Player, but it is the other bullsh*t that gives genuine pause.  

That said, taking on a $58 Million Dollar Option, and an additional $40 million the 5th day of 2024, makes Rodgers a one year rental.  (under the current contract)  He will cost relatively nothing on the cap this year ($16 Million), so I would expect it to be restructred.  However, it is still $98 Million on just 2 options.  

What is a fair deal?  Certainly not top 3 rounds, and I think a deal (assuming the contract is restructured for retirement clauses) is swapping picks.  Packers favor our (lets say, but could be any round) second for their second.  Jets Favor, There second for our 3rd. 

Honestly, I do not know what the breach of contract is with an option if he retires, and it may be a moot point for all I know.  I am considering it as a signing bonus that counts against the cap if he retires, leaving $44 Million (Just on the $58 Million Option)  dead money in 2024.  

Fair deal is 3rd this year, conditional next year.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, hawk said:

I love "the other bullsh*t" regarding AR. 

• Upvote 1