Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

This makes the most sense as many of us have been saying.  Expect the Jets to give up an uncomfortable amount for Rodgers.  

Matthew Berry

BY MATTHEW BERRY Twitter profile: @MatthewBerryTMR
March 6, 2023, 1:12 pm ET
Updated On: March 6, 2023, 1:12 pm ET

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/article/matthew-berrys-nfl-combine-buzz/23-most-interesting-things-i-heard-combine

3. As long as we are talking big-name quarterbacks, despite all the rumors of Derek Carr going to the Jets, one thing that held that up was that Jets owner Woody Johnson really wants Aaron Rodgers. So, the staff has had to be supportive of that. However, secretly, the rest of the team's front office wanted Derek Carr. Now that Carr is reportedly signing with New Orleans, the Jets are in “Hoping for Rodgers” mode. If that doesn't work out… who knows?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I can't imagine JD overpays. So I voted the Jets are left standing at the alter. 

However, we must not forget that the Packers find themselves in a position where they pretty much have to trade Rodgers (assuming he does not retire) so they can see what they have in Love. And Rodgers has a no trade clause. 

So a lot of this has to do with whether or not Rodgers wants to play and whether or not Rodgers wants to play for the Jets. If he is not ready to retire and the Jets seem like the best option (from what we have heard so far that seems to be accurate), then a mutually beneficial deal makes a lot of sense. 

My guess is that the 13th overall pick is too rich for JDs blood. Knowing full well that Rodgers will probably only be a 1-2 year rental. This is where we may see some creativity and multiple draft picks or pick swaps involved. So if he does give in on the 13th overall selection, he wil probably want GB's second rounder along with Rodgers (something like that).  

Rodgers doesn’t have a no trade clause.

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But if he's not traded for until after the draft - then what , do the Jets get fleeced for valuable 2024/25 picks to compensate. 

If the deal doesn't happen before the 15th they move to Jimmy 10 Games.

Jets aren't waiting that long.  I suspect at this point, it gets announced tonight or tomorrow the latest.  

Woody is getting PR pressure right now and he doesn't do well with it.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But I thought I read GB would owe AR more $$ if he was traded now, as opposed to after June 1, If that's the case the Jets are entering risky waters. 

They owe him the same money regardless.  It is just that a post June 1 trade allows them to spread the dead cap across two seasons instead of one.  The Packers are likely to want 2023 picks, and the only way to get them is to trade him now.  Waiting until June 1 means waiting an extra year for the compensation from the trade.

Packers will likely have to restructure some contracts, and backload any FA contracts for later years, but if they want to move AR, they are likely going to have to do it this month and figure out the cap ramifications.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But I thought I read GB would owe AR more $$ if he was traded now, as opposed to after June 1, If that's the case the Jets are entering risky waters. 

I know. I think part of the trade would be a re-negotiated contract with Rodgers.

30 minutes ago, hawk said:

Thank you for your Facts.  I disagree with you, but what do I know.

Point is, none of us know anything.  We just like to sound like we know what we are talking about, and some folks are better at that than others.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If the deal doesn't happen before the 15th they move to Jimmy 10 Games.

Jets aren't waiting that long.  I suspect at this point, it gets announced tonight or tomorrow the latest.  

Woody is getting PR pressure right now and he doesn't do well with it.  

Jimmy is going to be a Patriot or a Dolphin and he's going to own us.

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

Point is, none of us know anything.  We just like to sound like we know what we are talking about, and some folks are better at that than others.

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Let me guess, Rodger is "leaning" towards the Jets.

He will be a Dolphin by Wednesday.

• Haha 2

JD has shown a pretty good ability to work trades that turn out well. I assume there have been trades he hasn’t made, that would have been bad decisions. Are we really waiting for Aaron Rodgers to make a decision or are we trying to make a deal with the Packers and they are just asking for too much compensation? Personally I think it’s the latter, but we lost our leverage today and JD might have to give them what they want, to salvage his job. Thinking two 2nd round picks, with possible upgrade to 1st next year.  

Just now, Mogglez said:

All I’m going to say is that I got some news over the weekend, as well as this morning, was not surprised by the Carr news, and I know the second I put that news out there, the exact opposite will happen, ruining everything.  That and I don’t have the “ok” to spill, lol.

Situation is fluid, don’t go around making bets, yada, yada, yada.

COME ON MOGGLEZ!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

All I’m going to say is that I got some news over the weekend, as well as this morning, was not surprised by the Carr news, and I know the second I put that news out there, the exact opposite will happen, ruining everything.  That and I don’t have the “ok” to spill, lol.

So, are you saying...

You knew the Carr news and couldn't share it? 

or

You have new news that is juicy but you can't share it now?

Or both?

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Is there anything you can share with us right now?  

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

screaming tell me GIF

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

screaming tell me GIF

I have broken the golden “Keep your mouth shut.” rule between my boy and I in the past (Saleh), but I cannot f*ck around and find out with this one, haha.

Plus, I am a super jinx with no ties to Aaron.  This news is strictly coming from the Jets side.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

To be honest at this point I think the statement should be WAS a Top 5 QB. If you look at history, and consider the fact that Rodgers is already half retired, and his performance last year, there is no reasonable objective expectation that he will perform anywhere near a Top 5 QB in the NFL. 40 year old QBs tend to fall off the hill and almost all QBs have declined precipitously after 38. Rodgers should be a hard pass. Only the Jets are dumb enough to consider this move. Quite honestly, I think the trade should be something like a conditional 3rd in 2024 and we get a non-conditional 4th from GB and the conditional pick can only go up to a 2nd. GB is in a horrible situation. They have zero leverage.

I guess the Packers only leverage is that the price of signing QB's are soaring, and so many teams needing a QB, it would be so Jets-like if a team came out of nowhere and pulled off getting Rodgers.

I really hope we get Rodgers.  Next year could be really special if we do.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Other than compensation for any deal sounds lighter than what I thought it would possibly be?  Unfortunately not.  Stressing that there are no guarantees, but I am in a much better mental state over this than I was last week.

Are we expecting some kind of grand announcement that AR12 is moving on? Or is a trade just going to fire through?

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Other than compensation for any deal sounds lighter than what I thought it would possibly be?  Unfortunately not.  Stressing that there are no guarantees, but I am in a much better mental state over this than I was last week.

So if I'm reading between the lines, it sounds like there's a good chance this happens (based on your mental state being better about this than it was last week).  And compensation will be less than expected sounds great too!  

• Upvote 1