### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I was thinking that also. Could be the OLB they are lacking. Primarily a rusher who can also play the run as a LB with his athleticism and reach. At 240 he wouldn't be a small lb.

OLB is really the only thing that makes sense. 

Just now, jetblue95 said:

and the defense was really good last year

some were worried about regression on the defense.  getting a top pass rusher in the draft helps keep this an elite defense.

i don't hate the pick.  as i said earlier, many would have been happy with nolan smith.  smith is smaller, and last i checked, is still on the board.

Smith is the only guy that would have been worse for me. lol

Hey i am sure he is a fine enough player I just deduct value if you are actually not on the field.  He has to be like a 15 sack guy and create turnovers to make this a good pick.

And if he comes in and does well good chance it devalues the guy we traded up for last year.

Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hey i am sure he is a fine enough player I just deduct value if you are actually not on the field.  He has to be like a 15 sack guy and create turnovers to make this a good pick.

And if he comes in and does well good chance it devalues the guy we traded up for last year.

Time will tell.

15 sack guy and create to’s would make him a good number 1 overall pick 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Time will tell.

15 sack guy? lol

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We’re probably all gonna love this guy. That’s the best part of being irate. Lol

I'll freely admit I'm mostly indifferent to this pick, despite having a lack of confidence in it to start, but the more serious question is when is the last time a widely-panned Jets decision has actually gone well?

• Upvote 1

So rather than be emotional about it, I'll just be clear why this isn't the direction I would have gone:

1. We were the 29th Offense in the NFL last year.  A. Rodgers is a huge upgrade, but he's not a savior on his own.  Other than him, you're going to be hard pressed to show that we've improved this offense at all, anywhere else.  Rodgers deserved more support being added, to help him produce a quality offense.  I have much less faith in the Davis/Lawson/Hardman trio than most at JN do, I don't think that group scares anyone at all.  

2. We've got a poor history of drafting so-called "edge" pass rushers, or "Benders" as they now seem to be called.  JD has taken several shots at it in his tenure so far, and his picks have been pretty much uniformly terrible or at best disappointing.  Hell, we took a pass rushing edge in the first round last year who produced basically nothing as a rookie, opposite big FA guy Lawson, who also produced very little in his time here all things considered.  Put simply, I don't trust JD or Saleh on identifying good pass rushers, because they haven't earned that trust yet.

3. Feels like a reach pick out of fumbling desperation rather than a well thought out pick.  Clearly they wanted OT and they were all gone, clearly (from video of the room late in the 10 minutes) they were trying hard to trade down, with no takers.  This was option 3.  A limited experience workout warrior who has some magic bendy bend.  Got it, if he gets 12 sacks as a rookie, I'll happily admit I was wrong.  If he barely plays and gets 2 sacks, it's a horrible pick, given the timeframe we have Rodgers here to make a run.

4. Philosophically, I will never agree with "BAP" or "just drafting our Board" when the units of a team are so horribly lopsided for as long as ours have been.  Our top 5 D got another big hopes rotational pass rusher guy, great.  Our 29th ranked O better pray A. Rodgers is not just good, but MVP-level good, and that no one gets hurt, because we're thinner than three day old fishwrap at this point.  

Disappointing night for me, this pick, and the damn Nats blew sweeping the Mets after an amazing grand slam, to really punch me in the dickhole.

On to day 2/Round 2 I guess. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

The video of Garret Wilson and Chris Olave saying JSN being better than them/ more athletic makes me physically ill.  JSN in the slot would have been dynamic! Jesus JD how did we pass on this dude? SMFH

Also, if anything happens to Wilson, this WR corps is absolute sh*t. We don’t have any quality depth. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, 68JET11 said:

Kid would have probably been there at 43 if we really wanted him, so passing on JSN is a mistake IMO... Not saying he won't be good, but they better get a center now at 43.

And if we passed on him and BB took him and he turned out to be a stud? Probably wasn't going to happen, but imagine if it did. JSN would have been nice (although he fell to 20...), but we did grab GW in the 1st and Breece in the. 2nd last year. It is not like we haven't been building the weapons.

Either way, the pick has been made - lets hope it works out.

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

I’m just confused. Some of you are being such pussies. The actual player and position doesn’t bother me but we could’ve easily traded back and still got him. That’s annoying me more than anything. 

Really don’t know this.  Weird draft.  If you like someone take him. 

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We’re probably all gonna love this guy. That’s the best part of being irate. Lol

I hope so. Thing is we barely got to see our first round pass rusher last year due to the rotation. Did we need another one when we got a 1-2 year window? I'm not arguing the talent. I don't know much about the guy. Im arguing the need right now

• Upvote 1