Zach is AFC Offensive Player of the Week

JetsFanatic

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Milliner ended the season, however, with a strong performance, recording his first interception in week 16 against the Cleveland Browns followed up by two interceptions against the Miami Dolphins in Week 17 to earn AFC defensive player of the week awards as well as the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month honors.

He would have been good if he never got hurt, IMO

• Upvote 1

Happy that we got one week of elite QB production this year.  Hoping there are four more this season.

How Zach looks this week is now a more intriguing storyline.  This past week, Zach was basically playing against a defense that he sees in practice.  (Houston and Jets D are similar schemes).  I think that was a contributing factor in Zach’s comfort level in letting it fly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Truly amazing that he won this award.  He did play a really good half of football.

I expect a total dud from him in Miami Sunday and Vegas does to.

I hope he proves me wrong.

I’m sure he read your post and will use it as motivation to play a good game. 

• Haha 2

Congrats Zach.  You join some of our previous illustrious, award-winning young QBs who went on to great long-term success with the Jets:

• Chad Pennington:  2x Comeback POY (2006, 2008), NFL Passer Rating Leader (2002)
  • Brooks Bollinger:  2009 UFL MVP
  • Mark Sanchez:  2009 Rookie of the Month (September), 2009 PFWA All-Rookie Team
  • Geno Smith:  2013 Week 4 AFC Offensive Player of the Week
  • Sam Darnold:  2019 Week 6 AFC Offensive Player of the Week

odvggcgqdagaejwvu0ho.jpg

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Congrats Zach.  You join some of our previous illustrious, award-winning young QBs who went on to great long-term success with the Jets:

• Chad Pennington:  2x Comeback POY (2006, 2008), NFL Passer Rating Leader (2002)
  • Brooks Bollinger:  2009 UFL MVP
  • Mark Sanchez:  2009 Rookie of the Month (September), 2009 PFWA All-Rookie Team
  • Geno Smith:  2013 Week 4 AFC Offensive Player of the Week
  • Sam Darnold:  2019 Week 6 AFC Offensive Player of the Week

odvggcgqdagaejwvu0ho.jpg

don't forget all of those rookie of the weeks he had. What a hero

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Wow - this guy is benched for a guy named Boyle and he is hated by a lot of Jet fans and ripped apart by the media and has no future with the Jets and then he goes out in a rainstorm and wins AFC player of the week with a great game. What do you do with this guy? 

You do the right thing by him and let him have a fresh start somewhere else.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

He’s an nfl qb and should always want to do his best.  The jets have really tried to help this kid as much as possible, drafting OL, wrs, TEs and bringing in his own coaches.  This is not like how mccagnan and bowles mishandled darnold.  This regime has tried to help wilson.  So while it’s nice to see him having a good game, if he’s nfl material he should block out the noise and perform.  Now is last game the new expected or is it an aberration, odds are it’s the exception not the rule.  Even if the game slows down for him his upside seems to be low level starter and not top 10 qb.  If I’m the jets i would flip him for as much as i could get and start the process of rethinking how they evaluate qbs and start bringing in guys who don’t need the entire organization to coddle/protect/cheer whenever the qb does something good

Bringing in his coaches is asinine 

bring in an NFL mind with a track record of developing quarterbacks 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Milliner ended the season, however, with a strong performance, recording his first interception in week 16 against the Cleveland Browns followed up by two interceptions against the Miami Dolphins in Week 17 to earn AFC defensive player of the week awards as well as the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month honors.

Milliner was hampered by injuries

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

It's amazing how many people on this forum think players can't develop - especially in one of the most difficult positions in all of sports. Is it because you think our coaches suck? How many have played a sport at a high level and have never seen this happen? It's the overly emotional reaction of a fan base that wants a winner. I get the frustration - put me there with you. But after all this, if Zach finally does click and you let him be successful somewhere else after he cut his teeth here, how would that make the Jets look? Now, I'm just saying if he balls out the next few games. If he doesn't, they should part ways.

Most of these guys never put pads on in their life

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

It's amazing how many people on this forum think players can't develop - especially in one of the most difficult positions in all of sports. Is it because you think our coaches suck? How many have played a sport at a high level and have never seen this happen? It's the overly emotional reaction of a fan base that wants a winner. I get the frustration - put me there with you. But after all this, if Zach finally does click and you let him be successful somewhere else after he cut his teeth here, how would that make the Jets look? Now, I'm just saying if he balls out the next few games. If he doesn't, they should part ways.

I'm all for Zach turning this around, regardless of if it is for the Jets or not.  But it would be a true anomaly if he ever makes it as a perennial top 15 QB in the league just from past experience.  For reasons (some outside of his control) he has consistently been one of the worst QB's in the league for three years running, and put a few of the worst QB'd games outside of covid practice squad WR's playing QB I've ever seen in my life.

This doesn't mean it's impossible, but very very unlikely.  If it really has been all in his head, I think it's only a matter of time until he gets the "yips" back.  Shoot, could be this week.

But, situations definitely can effect QB's.  Russell Wilson hasn't been "MVP" level for a long time, but he turned in to an absolute pumpkin last year, and I don't think it's because he suddenly completely sucks at football.  (Just happens to have happened under out current OC)  And now he doesn't look like a complete dumpster fire anymore now that he has better coaching.

Nobody can predict what is going to happen to Zach for sure.  But there is certainly a reason we're likely topping out at a 3rd round pick for him this offseason, regardless of how he finishes the season.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Devito has eight TD passes on 126 attempts over four starts.

Zach Wilson has eight TD passes on 357 attempts in ten starts. 

Player of the week = the players performance in one week. 

Let me know if you need help with the punctuation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1