Aaron Rodgers Still Wants To Come Back And Play This Season

On Benigno's interview on WFAN with Evan and Tiki, they mentioned that AR8 still wants to come back and play this season.

Some thoughts/questions:

Maybe AR8 doesn't want the organization to make rash moves.  Maybe he wants to get in there and show that they can win with him in there and create some momentum and good feelings for next season?

Will JD/Saleh allow AR8 to play?  Aside from it opening up the possibility for this franchise to utterly and completely go down in flames if he gets injured, isn't AR8 the only thing potentially keeping JD/Saleh in their jobs next season?  If he gets hurt, they're probably both gone (and AR8 might retire anyway).

From AR8's perspective, if he gets hurt but doesn't retire, I would think the Jets will absolutely try to draft a QB in the 1st round.  Obviously that wouldn't be the approach that he'd want.

How much does it matter to AR8 to prove he can come back from the injury in record time?  Does he see this as part of his legacy?  I think that's part of his motivation but certainly not the main part.

Fine....let him handoff a few plays in a last game series.  Whatever.

And lets everyone stop with the 'AR won't want a QB drafted' bullish*t....anyone with half a brain, and AR has more intellect than that, would understand why the NYJ need to also draft a QB next year.

The NYJ will draft OL in rounds 1 and  3, maybe more if they trade down, and look for a QB in the later rounds like a Pratt in rounds 4 or 5.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

And lets everyone stop with the 'AR won't want a QB drafted' bullish*t....anyone with half a brain, and AR has more intellect than that, would understand why the NYJ need to also draft a QB next year.

The NYJ will draft OL in rounds 1 and  3, maybe more if they trade down, and look for a QB in the later rounds like a Pratt in rounds 4 or 5.

That's the question though.  Will the QB taken with our 1st rounder (potentially a top 5 pick)?  A QB in the 4th or 5th round isn't anything controversial.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

On Benigno's interview on WFAN with Evan and Tiki, they mentioned that AR8 still wants to come back and play this season.

Some thoughts/questions:

Maybe AR8 doesn't want the organization to make rash moves.  Maybe he wants to get in there and show that they can win with him in there and create some momentum and good feelings for next season?

Will JD/Saleh allow AR8 to play?  Aside from it opening up the possibility for this franchise to utterly and completely go down in flames if he gets injured, isn't AR8 the only thing potentially keeping JD/Saleh in their jobs next season?  If he gets hurt, they're probably both gone (and AR8 might retire anyway).

From AR8's perspective, if he gets hurt but doesn't retire, I would think the Jets will absolutely try to draft a QB in the 1st round.  Obviously that wouldn't be the approach that he'd want.

How much does it matter to AR8 to prove he can come back from the injury in record time?  Does he see this as part of his legacy?  I think that's part of his motivation but certainly not the main part.

Who cares. He wants  to play, let him play

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Pratt is good and won’t be there in the 4th.  The jets are going to have to figure out how to get him and get an extra pick on day 2

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Some thoughts/questions:

C'mon can it really get any worse...let him play.

I believe he will for a couple reasons

1) Completes the narrative  for him about coming back quicker than anyone else.  Confirms his "experimental" surgery and all the modalities he talks about and keeps him relevant through 2023 season (rather than fading out until 2024)

2) Wants to prove the offense can work, can be productive if run correctly.  Saves face for Hackett and gives hope to fans, staff, and other players for the 2024 season.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's the question though.  Will the QB taken with our 1st rounder (potentially a top 5 pick)?  A QB in the 4th or 5th round isn't anything controversial.

Any QB the Jets take shouldn't be controversial even to AR.  There's no one in the building that is an adequate QB2, except for ZW and apparently everyone in the fan base has written him off despite the fact that cap wise, he's the most cost effective QB to retain as backup as he's already under contract.

6 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Any QB the Jets take shouldn't be controversial even to AR.  There's no one in the building that is an adequate QB2, except for ZW and apparently everyone in the fan base has written him off despite the fact that cap wise, he's the most cost effective QB to retain as backup as he's already under contract.

The problem with ZW is that he can’t even be an effective backup.  I think the jets would be ok with it if he were anything close to decent.  

• Upvote 2

I really don’t understand how people think this team will draft a qb in rd 1 next year. It only makes sense if the staff is fired. Seems like this franchise is handcuffed to Rodgers, saleh, and JD for next season. They’ll use the pick to try to save everyone’s job and plug a hole, not draft a player nobody will be around to see develop. 

with that being said, the view point from everyone is this team is a dumpster fire. The jets will have to be aggressive in free agency if everyone is retained to try to compete in their do or die season. A couple of good games with Rodgers behind center could be a good selling point to attract free agents and to change the view of this team. It’s a huge risk throwing him out there but desperate times call for desperate measures. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I really don’t understand how people think this team will draft a qb in rd 1 next year. It only makes sense if the staff is fired. Seems like this franchise is handcuffed to Rodgers, saleh, and JD for next season.

Of course you’re correct that they will NOT use their 1 on a QB.  But SHOULD they is the part that is significant:  With it being a supposedly loaded QB class and Rodgers’ future uncertain, you would have to at least consider it.

But yeah, there’s no incentive for this regime to take a QB so barring a highly unlikely change of mind by Woody on JD and Saleh’s job security, it’s definitely not happening.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course you’re correct that they will NOT use their 1 on a QB.  But SHOULD they is the part that is significant:  With it being a supposedly loaded QB class and Rodgers’ future uncertain, you would have to at least consider it.

But yeah, there’s no incentive for this regime to take a QB so barring a highly unlikely change of mind by Woody on JD and Saleh’s job security, it’s definitely not happening.  

No they shouldn’t. It doesn’t save their jobs. It’s the right move for this franchise long term but not the right move for the coaching staff and front office here right now. There are a lot of jobs on the line, a lot of peoples livelihoods at risk. Nobody  is going to willingly sacrifice themselves for the betterment of the franchise. In addition to that, lots of coaching staffs want to go out and get their guy. If the jets drafted a qb and everyone is fired, we’re back in the situation where we’re forcing someone else’s draft pick onto the next coach. Only the Jets could be in the scenario like this where they can draft the qb they need but the timing won’t allow it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Some thoughts/questions:

how do they know for sure? is Benigno texting AR too? lol

i was listening to there competition and they said they think Woody would want it cause we got a home game Christmas eve and nobody is going to come to the game. but if Rodgers plays that would make it a must see game.

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

No they shouldn’t. It doesn’t save their jobs. It’s the right move for this franchise long term but not the right move for the coaching staff and front office here right now. There are a lot of jobs on the line, a lot of peoples livelihoods at risk. Nobody  is going to willingly sacrifice themselves for the betterment of the franchise. In addition to that, lots of coaching staffs want to go out and get their guy. If the jets drafted a qb and everyone is fired, we’re back in the situation where we’re forcing someone else’s draft pick onto the next coach. Only the Jets could be in the scenario like this where they can draft the qb they need but the timing won’t allow it.

Key is, if there is an excellent QB prospect there when we pick we have to trade down and get the haul we need to rebuild this offense. Heck, if that could happen we could get 2-3 olineman, WR2, and probably a developmental QB in the 3rd or 4th round. That would be our best case scenario. I know we all want Alt, but in place of one great prospect like him I would think it is better for this oline to have 3 olineman at T and G that are very good prospects. You take one player high like we did with Becton and its like you put all your eggs in one basket where either the player is not durable or not as good as advertised like Becton. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I believe he will for a couple reasons

1) Completes the narrative  for him about coming back quicker than anyone else.  Confirms his "experimental" surgery and all the modalities he talks about and keeps him relevant through 2023 season (rather than fading out until 2024)

2) Wants to prove the offense can work, can be productive if run correctly.  Saves face for Hackett and gives hope to fans, staff, and other players for the 2024 season.

3) Chicks dig it 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Some thoughts/questions:

I think most fans prefer Rodgers not play these final games except as maybe a back up.  But if he does play I think there will finally be some serious accountability on the oline.  They won’t be able to get away with matador pass protection and they know it.  They will truly know they’re playing for their jobs next season and might just put in a good effort.