Minimum requirements to retain Salah and Douglas?

Saw a post in another thread about predicting Salah going 10-7 next year then getting extended (it was sarcasm)

That got me thinking of what will be Woody's bare minimum requirements to retain this FO clown show.

It has to be at minimum a deep playoff run, correct?

Woody does whatever the fanbase demands. There are enough built-in excuses to provide cover for Saleh and Douglas, and Woody is more than happy to delay the inevitable by another year if it means he can save some face temporarily. 

Every hire and fire is more proof that Woody is an incompetent fool.  

Saleh should be on a really toasty seat.  I can see him getting launched if the jets start out slow especially if Douglas effectively fills in the oline holes and the wr2.  This is why I think launching saleh now isn’t so far fetched. 

I’m done with this CS. They have severely underperformed with how much talent this team has. You can see how undisciplined they are just by looking at the number of penalties 

id fire them all after the season including Douglas 

for them to stay it needs to be at minimum a conference championship game 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Saleh should be on a really toasty seat.  I can see him getting launched if the jets start out slow especially if Douglas effectively fills in the oline holes and the wr2.  This is why I think launching saleh now isn’t so far fetched. 
Jets never fire coaches mid season. He'll be here for the duration of 2024.

(How's that for the kiss of death? )

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, football guy said:

3 requirements from me: 

1. They are able to rebuild the offensive line this offseason. It's going to be difficult, but Joe was hired here for that specific reason, had 3 years to do it, and has failed. He has to make up for lost time this offseason. 
  2. The offense has to show immense improvement with or without Rodgers under center. I don't want to hear it anymore. I look around the NFL, and there are so many teams with the same (if not less) talent that make it work. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with rebuilding the offensive line, but also needs to be self evaluation... Saleh needs to look in the mirror and figure out if his coaching philosophy of playing conservative and riding the defense is negatively effecting how his offense performs. I can live with the defense not being a top 5, top 10 unit... I can't live with this offense being bottom 20 anymore. 
  3. They have to make the playoffs. I'm not going to demand a super bowl run just yet... just convincingly make the playoffs and give me a reason to believe that the team could go on a run whether its in 2024 or 2025. 

Douglas has had four full offseasons, no? He's going to be on his second completely new offensive line this season.

• Upvote 2

I think minimum (meaning, true minimum, no way they can be retained/extended if we don't hit it) is playoffs. Just no acceptable scenario where we don't make the playoffs. Should have been this year, gifted a mulligan because of Rodgers.

That said, decision should be about more than just some benchmark. If we make the playoffs at 9-8 and Rodgers looks toast and we got smoked in the Wild Card round I'd probably move on anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I tip my cap to Douglas for making the Rodgers move… that trade and the injury which occurred to the QB 4 plays in gave everyone job security. It put the organization in a box, and now they have to see how it plays out in ‘24.

I would prefer to fire everyone after this season ends, but I get why WJ wouldn’t want to do so. He’d still have to pay JD and Saleh, along with a new GM and CS that would be saddled with Rodgers for as long as he wants to be here. 
Like it or not, trading for Rodgers and his resulting injury accomplished what most of us said at the time it would… another year of who and what we have now.

As to the question asked in the thread, my fear is Woody looks at ‘24 as the first year of the Rodgers era, and he looks back at what I think will be a 7-8 win season where the offense looks more competitive than the past 5 years as “progress”, and he decides we’re on the right track and extends everyone.

If that happens, I’m done.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I’m torn on Douglas

Despite the obvious mismanagement and failures as far as QB and the OL, this team does have a ton of talent

Which leads to the inescapable conclusion that Bobby Slogans is so clearly not the guy and therefore has to go…

You can’t have a HC in today’s NFL who just has absolutely no clue how to help his team on the offensive side of the ball.

I suppose it can work if the HC is smart enough to hire all the right offensive coaches (including a guru-level QB coach) but that hasn’t been the case here.

Saleh made a good hire initially with LaFleur and then didn’t have the stones to stand up and fight for him.

He allowed LaFleur to be scapegoated and sacrificed reputation-wise at the altar of Zach Wilson, and now we are stuck with the worst OC / playcaller in football.

I don't think there are any minimum requirements.   I would keep the two of them until Woody can attract a Person of Great Substance who can basically rebuild the entire football operation, like Parcells did.  Back up the truck for Harbaugh if he has to.  

I would extend each of them now for a year, and every year extend them another year until we find a person that Woody will say "I am out-this is your football operation-report to me monthly on progress and how much money you need."  Guys like JD and Saleh don't merit that type of respect.  Parcells did.  So did Bellichick.  

Otherwise its the old stuff.  Woody writes a one year severance check when he finds that person who can take over the operation.  Otherwise, I am not seeing a meaningful difference between Idzik/Mac/JD-Bowles/Gase/Saleh, so we might was well try and gain some advantage from the continuity.  The next JD/Saleh will be the next pair of barely average guys who do not have the substance to counterbalance Woody.  Woody like that.  I think the next great future GM/HC will appreciate the loyalty and continuity.  But for so long as Woody thinks he is still young enough to talk to the HC EVERYDAY about the game plan, we will get lightweights like JD and Saleh.  We might as well ride what we have.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

For Woody, it's literally playoffs.  If we make the playoffs at 9-8 and get bounced in the first round, they will be back.  Sad but true.

No need to be glum, chum.

Dogass and Salad get bounced after their 6th losing season in a row.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't think there are any minimum requirements.   I would keep the two of them until Woody can attract a Person of Great Substance who can basically rebuild the entire football operation, like Parcells did.  Back up the truck for Harbaugh if he has to.  

I would extend each of them now for a year, and every year extend them another year until we find a person that Woody will say "I am out-this is your football operation-report to me monthly on progress and how much money you need."  Guys like JD and Saleh don't merit that type of respect.  Parcells did.  So did Bellichick.  

Otherwise its the old stuff.  Woody writes a one year severance check when he finds that person who can take over the operation.  Otherwise, I am not seeing a meaningful difference between Idzik/Mac/JD-Bowles/Gase/Saleh, so we might was well try and gain some advantage from the continuity.  The next JD/Saleh will be the next pair of barely average guys who do not have the substance to counterbalance Woody.  Woody like that.  I think the next great future GM/HC will appreciate the loyalty and continuity.  But for so long as Woody thinks he is still young enough to talk to the HC EVERYDAY about the game plan, we will get lightweights like JD and Saleh.  We might as well ride what we have.  

this is exactly what I would do but not because of continuity. We just want to stay in a state that allows us to cut bait with the current regime the moment a proven high level coach becomes available. You don't want to be in year 1 of a 3 year deal where a coach just started a rebuild and finished 8-9 or some crap.

Just keep Saleh/Douglas on the shortest term deal you can until you can get your guy. Stop with the failed OTJ nonsense cycle.

also - if you can get Harbaugh this off season you do it. I think Rodgers could easily be convinced.

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

also - if you can get Harbaugh this off season you do it. I think Rodgers could easily be convinced.

If Aaron wants to walk away from $3.1mm next year to play for Harbaugh let him.  I think you take cap hit and let Harbaugh start to build the team with a clean slate in 2025, with likely the number 1 draft pick in 2025.   I think that would be a good investment.  

I do think Rodgers should go along.  JD and Saleh only have one year left on their contracts supposedly-that is nothing for an owner to pay to start over-look at what the Broncos, or the Panthers, did.  Woody has to offer Harbaugh a HUGE contract to come.  it is the only answer, and hope, for this team.  Harbaugh can be our Parcells. 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I’m torn on Douglas

Despite the obvious mismanagement and failures as far as QB and the OL, this team does have a ton of talent

Which leads to the inescapable conclusion that Bobby Slogans is so clearly not the guy and therefore has to go…

You can’t have a HC in today’s NFL who just has absolutely no clue how to help his team on the offensive side of the ball.

I suppose it can work if the HC is smart enough to hire all the right offensive coaches (including a guru-level QB coach) but that hasn’t been the case here.

Saleh made a good hire initially with LaFleur and then didn’t have the stones to stand up and fight for him.

He allowed LaFleur to be scapegoated and sacrificed reputation-wise at the altar of Zach Wilson, and now we are stuck with the worst OC / playcaller in football.

I STRONGLY disagree with the bolded -jet fans always overestimate the level of talent the team has-

On offense the team has two quality players-Breece and G Wilson that is it

QBS trash-we brought in a 40 year old QB and no viable back ups

The OL as you mentioned is trash

The Wrs outside of G wilson are all trash

The Rbs are all trash-carter and cook both released

Tight Ends are trash

then throw in a terrible OC and a terrible HC

our record under Joe and under Saleh is simply TERRIBLE-they should have been fired this year -Joe bought them time by bringing in Arod which was good for him but bad for the team.

2 hours ago, peebag said:

Saw a post in another thread about predicting Salah going 10-7 next year then getting extended (it was sarcasm)

That got me thinking of what will be Woody's bare minimum requirements to retain this FO clown show.

Woody's only plan is to somehow get through the next 2 or 3 years, and then raise ticket prices. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, peebag said:

1. They make the playoffs.  This is an absolute minimum.

No playoffs, they get fired.

2.  If they are out of contention by game 8, they MUST be fired mid-season.