Goodbye Mekhi? Becton visits Cinci today

Willie Colon made a great point on one of the SNY post game shows towards the end of the season about a team needing to keep and develop their own guys. I think the Jets let too many guys walk who they shouldn't, especially on the O-Line.

Unfortunately Becton isn't one of those guys. There's too many questions about his effort, commitment to football, and obviously injury history. Biggest mistake of the Joe Douglas tenure remains Becton over Wirfs in my opinion.

More like "Good riddance" Becton needs an environment where you are constantly motivated. He is NOT a self motivator. The Jets are not in that category. If he has success elsewhere, I will still be happy that his immature and entitled behind is gone. 

9 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

From that thread:

oooof

We need to sign Tyron and draft a tackle @ 10. 

lol he is out there testing the market thinking he is going to get the bag and realizing that not as many people have the kind of faith in his abilities that he apparantly has for himself thus the reason he is visiting teams for the RT position despite

HIM.BEING.A.LEFT.TACKLE.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Willie Colon made a great point on one of the SNY post game shows towards the end of the season about a team needing to keep and develop their own guys. I think the Jets let too many guys walk who they shouldn't, especially on the O-Line.

Unfortunately Becton isn't one of those guys. There's too many questions about his effort, commitment to football, and obviously injury history. Biggest mistake of the Joe Douglas tenure remains Becton over Wirfs in my opinion.

I think that’s true. The problem with the jets is they haven’t had a lot of luck drafting guys who can stay on the field.  Hopefully tipp and Warren are exceptions.  Or maybe Mitchell shakes off his performances of last season. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

He’ll be an all pro for them 

No.  He'll be frequently injured and mediocre with the occasional pancake -wow- block.  Good luck to them risking yet another injury to their franchise QB.

11 hours ago, rangerous said:

Becton is in serious need of coaching.  He’s got the size and physical ability to be really good.

Exactly. I think it's possible he ends up having a good career, just isn't going to happen here unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

He's still under contract right ? So he'd need to be traded.

Here is a sample from the Cinci board ...

"From everything I've seen... this Becton dude is TRASH.

It's like they're intentionally trying to get Burrow injured, at this point."

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

From that thread:

oooof

We need to sign Tyron and draft a tackle @ 10. 

This was the play of the year for the Jets.  Mekhi F'ing up his assignment and ZW getting destroyed (and blamed).

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This was the play of the year for the Jets.  Mekhi F'ing up his assignment and ZW getting destroyed (and blamed).

The play of the year was the one where Rodgers tore his achilles. The play you posted is the one that put us out of our misery 😅

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Bengals are adding a key piece on their O-Line, as #Patriots free agent OT Trent Brown plans to sign a 1-year with them, source said. He’s in Cincy on a visit today.

A new home protecting Joe Burrow for Brown.

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

mekki like to eat and now hes getting a huge slice of humble pie with a side of crow 

I don't think he's eating humble pie, more like bitter broccoli. Humble pie would imply he's realizing he's mishandled his NFL career thus far. I'm willing to bet he's sour as hell, blaming the Jets entirely for this position he's in.

• Upvote 2

On 3/14/2024 at 8:37 AM, Rhg1084 said:

He’ll be an all pro for them 

If blocking others people's access to the buffet counts...

However he will tear his ACL giving max effort to that process because he got stuck in the line to the right of the food...

58 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Bengals are adding a key piece on their O-Line, as #Patriots free agent OT Trent Brown plans to sign a 1-year with them, source said. He’s in Cincy on a visit today.

A new home protecting Joe Burrow for Brown.

Not looking good for Mekhi landing that big deal.

If he wants to come back on a cheap contract as our swing tackle, I wouldn't hate it.

He would have to swallow some major humble pie to accept that, though.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Not looking good for Mekhi landing that big deal.

If he wants to come back on a cheap contract as our swing tackle, I wouldn't hate it.

He would have to swallow some major humble pie to accept that, though.

That’s what I had initially thought too, but the more I think about it, I’m not sure he’d be a good backup player.  It almost takes more discipline to be effective if a player has to potentially come in off the bench.  They need to work just as hard to prepare like a starter, and often they don’t end up playing at all.  I’m not sure I trust Becton to put the work in if he thinks he probably won’t play anyway.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MykePM said:

That’s what I had initially thought too, but the more I think about it, I’m not sure he’d be a good backup player.  It almost takes more discipline to be effective if a player has to potentially come in off the bench.  They need to work just as hard to prepare like a starter, and often they don’t end up playing at all.  I’m not sure I trust Becton to put the work in if he thinks he probably won’t play anyway.

With the injury history on this OL, it's fairly likely he'll see play time. 

A lack of interest in FA can be a real wake up call for him. If he comes back humbled, he may be willing to put in the work as a backup. If he comes back with a sh*t attitude, Douglas should let him continue to try his luck somewhere else.

• Upvote 4