Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama: A 39-game starter, he led the SEC in yards per reception (20.5) last year as a legitimate deep threat. As a talent, Burton (6-0, 202, 4.42) should be a Day 2 selection. Instead, he’s off at least two teams’ boards for various character-related issues and could face an agonizing drop in the draft.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama: A 39-game starter, he led the SEC in yards per reception (20.5) last year as a legitimate deep threat. As a talent, Burton (6-0, 202, 4.42) should be a Day 2 selection. Instead, he’s off at least two teams’ boards for various character-related issues and could face an agonizing drop in the draft.

Just the type of guy who comes to a team and is a choir boy.   It is so tough to know if a guy will keep being a bad dude or grow up and at least stay mostly out of trouble.  Guys like tyreek hill last till the 5th round due to this.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Yes, if true it says they’re looking for legit home run threats who stretch the field.  I love the idea.  Don’t love btj that high though.  

How about Ricky Williams?

56 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Would be a 3rd round prospect on Maccagnan’s board 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Just the type of guy who comes to a team and is a choir boy.   It is so tough to know if a guy will keep being a bad dude or grow up and at least stay mostly out of trouble.  Guys like tyreek hill last till the 5th round due to this.

This year‘s “he’s been taken off every team’s board” and then gets picked up by the Steelers in Round Four. Tamarick Vanover

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Sounds pretty....irrelevant.... to me.

Come to JD!

Hugging Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Trade back take a first round tackle and 2nd round wr. Or the other way around but trad back to get a second rounder. Please

If the trade is there, do it. The talent in WR and OT is there to do that in rd 1 & 2.  But it would be advantagous to take the WR first ( Thomas, Mitchell, Worthy) and the OT round 2 (Paul, Suamatala, Beebe) .  The talent in WR in rd 2 is not significantly better than rd 3.  While the talent in OT is fairly similar in mid to later round 1 to round 2.  But lets say Odunze is there at 10 which is possible. You then would have to take Rosengarten or Armedgie at 72 and maybe a guard like Coleman at 111 to solidify the OL. In round 4 pick 134 WR Cowing.  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

80% of all WRs are or will be diva assholes after a few years.   If you are looking for a choir boy WR you will miss out.

maybe, maybe not. For what it's worth i don't think that they are approaching WR exclusively with this mentality, 

Anyway, barring some classified Douglas plan - feels like the agenda is self-evident. The Staff and Front Office want a Tackle, seems obvious; we brought every mf'er...  So we're prepping for all scenarios. including trading back 5-10 spots. Rome is the one name it seems obvious they'll pivot for... Bowers?... maybe, but i think there's also a lot of market manipulation happening there. 

The degree of time they've invested in WRs whom may be there at the top of Round 3 tells you where they expect to go with that pick 

My Early prediction, however it plays out - we end up with OT Fautanu, and WR Roman Wilson.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The thing that Bowers has going for him is he plays the security blanket position.  Pass catching yac TE/HB can be a QBs best friend.

I could easily see a team like the Colts trading up for Bowers.  How do you best protect a young inexperienced franchise guy?  Give hm a guy that you can throw 2 yards passes to who will get you first downs.

That is my hot take draft day trade for he Jets.  Jets trade down to 15 with Indy and get a 2nd rounder out of it. (Jets would probably have to kick in a small sweeter late round pick)

• Upvote 2

The thing that Bowers has going for him is he plays the security blanket position.  Pass catching yac TE/HB can be a QBs best friend.
I could easily see a team like the Colts trading up for Bowers.  How do you best protect a young inexperienced franchise guy?  Give hm a guy that you can throw 2 yards passes to who will get you first downs.
That is my hot take draft day trade for he Jets.  Jets trade down to 15 with Indy and get a 2nd rounder out of it. (Jets would probably have to kick in a small sweeter late round pick)

Trade down to 15 then trade down again.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

If the trade is there, do it. The talent in WR and OT is there to do that in rd 1 & 2.  But it would be advantagous to take the WR first ( Thomas, Mitchell, Worthy) and the OT round 2 (Paul, Suamatala, Beebe) .  The talent in WR in rd 2 is not significantly better than rd 3.  While the talent in OT is fairly similar in mid to later round 1 to round 2.  But lets say Odunze is there at 10 which is possible. You then would have to take Rosengarten or Armedgie at 72 and maybe a guard like Coleman at 111 to solidify the OL. In round 4 pick 134 WR Cowing.  

Just the Opposite- OT 1st / WR 2nd ... the drop from one to other, at least on paper, is greater at tackle than receiver. 

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

I never got the "his hands are too small" argument for Fashanu. If his arms were short, I'd get it. But his hands? He's not supposed to be holding anything. Just punch and shove.

If it didn't bother Burrow it shouldn't bother Fashanu ... 

xPZkaqLb_x96.jpg

Considering retirement after I was informed the football will be slipping out of my tiny hands. Please keep me in your thoughts.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, jetsons said:

Just the Opposite- OT 1st / WR 2nd ... the drop from one to other, at least on paper, is greater at tackle than receiver. 

Perhaps youre right. Mims, Guyton, etc. Supposedly 6 or 7 tackles will go  in round 1. Just not crazy or see much difference in WR quality from round 2 to 3. Could just skip WR in round 2 if they trade back and take a guy like Beebe or Edgerin cooper to replace Mosley next year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Are the Bears really going to draft a WR at #9?

Fields took 44 sacks last season after taking 55 in ‘22.

They’re not interested in keeping Caleb healthy?

For them it very well might just be a BPA thing. If Odunze is there. He’s the best player. They trddd for Allen. But he’s older and on a 1 year deal. And they have DJ Moore. So they like us don’t have a huge need at WR. But Odunze could be BPA. They have Kmet or else they’d likely think Bowers too.

Good luck, Chicago

CALEB WILLIAMS, Southern Cal (6-1, 217, no 40, 1): His career passer rating of 118.9 using the NFL scale was the best of this class. “I think Caleb has the best chance to bust but also has the best chance to be freakin’ special,” one scout said. “I think he’s boom or bust. There are plays he makes that are fantastic where he scrambles and throws 50 yards downfield for a touchdown. Then you look at that play and there are simpler options that he doesn’t see or ignored.” Replaced Spencer Rattler and started the final seven games of his freshman season at Oklahoma. “Obviously, it’s very similar to how (Patrick) Mahomes played at Texas Tech,” a second scout said. “He constantly is trying to hit the grand slam against just taking the single or the double. I have a hard time believing you can’t coach that out of him. Caleb is the most natural thrower of the four. Seventy yards in the air, arched on a dime. Effortless. Throwing moving to his right from his hip 25 yards downfield on a line. My biggest concern will be his height. It does look at times he struggles to see in the pocket. That’s why he likes to move. He just does things other guys can’t do. Blend that in with being able to play on time and he’s going to be outstanding.” Declined to take a medical exam or test at the combine. “The biggest chance for bust is if Caleb Williams goes to Chicago,” a third scout said. “It’s going to be a lot tougher than people think. He’s got a lot of talent but, wow, he’s had red carpet treatment since the 9th grade. This is getting ready to be a whole different deal. It’s the Chicago media, then the comparison. If (Justin) Fields goes and does anything in Pittsburgh it won’t play well. And the pressure … he ended up in the stands (clutching his mother at the Coliseum Nov. 4 after a loss to Washington) crying like a baby. For a lot of scouts that was a disqualifier. Then you got the painted fingernails, the cars, special treatment. He knows one offense, which you can write on one piece of paper, with Lincoln Riley. Of all those OU quarterbacks he’s the most gifted but none of them have really done it in the league. And Williams’ workout (at pro day) wasn’t godawful but just mediocre.” According to one club official, his father, Carl, told him “it’s too windy in Chicago. Why should we go to Chicago when the open-air stadium is not a place Caleb will like?” Said the official: “You talk about self-serving, vicariously live through your son b.s. He needs to get away from his old man. … I like the kid. He gets a little caught up in the LA bullsh*t, but once he gets with somebody strong he’ll be fine. Because Lincoln Riley’s not a strong guy, either.” Three of his five interceptions in 2023 came at South Bend in a 48-20 loss to Notre Dame. “I’m going Jayden Daniels because I can’t get the f--king Notre Dame game out of my head,” a fifth scout said. “A lot of Caleb is when he’s just running around kind of being playground. He’s also kind of making it about myself.” One of the scouts said Williams, who posted a 23-10 record as a starter, shouldn’t be thrust into the lineup immediately. “You better have the right offensive coordinator for him and do not rush him into the NFL,” he said. “In today’s football everybody wants to rush guys. Let him sit for a while. Let him process.” An executive with an established quarterback has followed Williams from afar. “He just comes out with these things that are kind of spoiled and demanding,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s the people around him or what it is. Whether this is the case with him or not, when you get a guy that in his mind feels like you’re fortunate he’s there, it can come off that way and rub teammates the wrong way. I don’t know if he’s got that but he can’t come in with that. People are going to have to jell with him immediately. Because if they don’t, it might be an issue from a leadership standpoint.” From Washington, D.C. Hands were 9 ¾ inches.

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Way way way way too much consensus smoke around Bowers to the Jets. Has to be Jets driven to force a trade up to push Odunze or Nabers down. JD doesn’t traditionally let stuff out like that

Agent driven.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Close. Jets may prefer to have Indy move up ahead of the Jets to snag Bowers in hopes of increasing their chances of Odunze making it to #10

Not necessarily Indy, but this was my first thought when the Jets finally brought Brock in for a meeting late in the process. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Not necessarily Indy, but this was my first thought when the Jets finally brought Brock in for a meeting late in the process. 

I suspect that if WR3 is gone JD is going TE.  In the event, I'd prefer OT2 instead.  None the less though I'll be hoping that that TE pick is a home run.  JD really needs to up his game draft wise. 

All that being said, JD is a keeper.  Go Jets!  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Good luck, Chicago

CALEB WILLIAMS, Southern Cal (6-1, 217, no 40, 1): His career passer rating of 118.9 using the NFL scale was the best of this class. “I think Caleb has the best chance to bust but also has the best chance to be freakin’ special,” one scout said. “I think he’s boom or bust. There are plays he makes that are fantastic where he scrambles and throws 50 yards downfield for a touchdown. Then you look at that play and there are simpler options that he doesn’t see or ignored.” Replaced Spencer Rattler and started the final seven games of his freshman season at Oklahoma. “Obviously, it’s very similar to how (Patrick) Mahomes played at Texas Tech,” a second scout said. “He constantly is trying to hit the grand slam against just taking the single or the double. I have a hard time believing you can’t coach that out of him. Caleb is the most natural thrower of the four. Seventy yards in the air, arched on a dime. Effortless. Throwing moving to his right from his hip 25 yards downfield on a line. My biggest concern will be his height. It does look at times he struggles to see in the pocket. That’s why he likes to move. He just does things other guys can’t do. Blend that in with being able to play on time and he’s going to be outstanding.” Declined to take a medical exam or test at the combine. “The biggest chance for bust is if Caleb Williams goes to Chicago,” a third scout said. “It’s going to be a lot tougher than people think. He’s got a lot of talent but, wow, he’s had red carpet treatment since the 9th grade. This is getting ready to be a whole different deal. It’s the Chicago media, then the comparison. If (Justin) Fields goes and does anything in Pittsburgh it won’t play well. And the pressure … he ended up in the stands (clutching his mother at the Coliseum Nov. 4 after a loss to Washington) crying like a baby. For a lot of scouts that was a disqualifier. Then you got the painted fingernails, the cars, special treatment. He knows one offense, which you can write on one piece of paper, with Lincoln Riley. Of all those OU quarterbacks he’s the most gifted but none of them have really done it in the league. And Williams’ workout (at pro day) wasn’t godawful but just mediocre.” According to one club official, his father, Carl, told him “it’s too windy in Chicago. Why should we go to Chicago when the open-air stadium is not a place Caleb will like?” Said the official: “You talk about self-serving, vicariously live through your son b.s. He needs to get away from his old man. … I like the kid. He gets a little caught up in the LA bullsh*t, but once he gets with somebody strong he’ll be fine. Because Lincoln Riley’s not a strong guy, either.” Three of his five interceptions in 2023 came at South Bend in a 48-20 loss to Notre Dame. “I’m going Jayden Daniels because I can’t get the f--king Notre Dame game out of my head,” a fifth scout said. “A lot of Caleb is when he’s just running around kind of being playground. He’s also kind of making it about myself.” One of the scouts said Williams, who posted a 23-10 record as a starter, shouldn’t be thrust into the lineup immediately. “You better have the right offensive coordinator for him and do not rush him into the NFL,” he said. “In today’s football everybody wants to rush guys. Let him sit for a while. Let him process.” An executive with an established quarterback has followed Williams from afar. “He just comes out with these things that are kind of spoiled and demanding,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s the people around him or what it is. Whether this is the case with him or not, when you get a guy that in his mind feels like you’re fortunate he’s there, it can come off that way and rub teammates the wrong way. I don’t know if he’s got that but he can’t come in with that. People are going to have to jell with him immediately. Because if they don’t, it might be an issue from a leadership standpoint.” From Washington, D.C. Hands were 9 ¾ inches.

Interesting, where's that from? Def not the most flattering write up haha.

• Upvote 1