Tua on IR

Joe W. Namath

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Fascinated to see what happens with Tua. He reportedly doesn’t want to retire and it’s very likely that he’ll be able to pass the concussion protocol at some point in the future. 

It’s also clear that the NFL wants no part of him getting yet another concussion on an NFL field for the world to see. Will they force him out? Can they? How? 

There was a Detroit RB in recent memory that spent the whole year in the concussion protocol so I wouldn't be so sure that he can clear... 

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There was a Detroit RB in recent memory that spent the whole year in the concussion protocol so I wouldn't be so sure that he can clear... 

true

But the question remains - if/when Tua clears the protocol (no matter when it is), how does the NFL keep Tua from playing? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

Tua needs the doctors to make a proper evaluation, whether its for or against.

This man's health are in their hands.

If he does retire for medical reasons, I just hope the NFL doesn't pull some settlement BS. Pay him everything he is owed.

The NFL can’t void his contract or help the dolphins by creating a loophole.  It would violate the CBA and the NFLPA will file a grievance that they will win.  Plus Stephen Ross isn’t tight with Goodell like the Krafts

• Upvote 2

Tua needs the doctors to make a proper evaluation, whether its for or against.
This man's health are in their hands.
If he does retire for medical reasons, I just hope the NFL doesn't pull some settlement BS. Pay him everything he is owed.

The doctors don’t have to do much. The guy was “fencing” on tv for the second time. His brain MRI is going to eventually look ugly. I just hope it isn’t too late for him to have a normal life and lifespan. Joe Namath talked about how he did the deep water submersion stuff that helped him.

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Fascinated to see what happens with Tua. He reportedly doesn’t want to retire and it’s very likely that he’ll be able to pass the concussion protocol at some point in the future. 

It’s also clear that the NFL wants no part of him getting yet another concussion on an NFL field for the world to see. Will they force him out? Can they? How? 

NFL could care less. Now all of a sudden they care? How many years went by when they denied after effects of the violence inherent in the game. I could see a player risking his future health if he knows the facts but 15 years ago, this was washed watered and rinsed away by denial. Players  weren’t as informed as they are now and NOW they have to weigh the risk versus the reward. Regardless, NFL could care less. 

• Upvote 2

He should retire but I he doubt he will. The kid is young and too often young people think that the worst will "never happen to me".

There are worse things to be than a young healthy retired multimillionaire kid.

Go enjoy the rest of your life and find something else to put your energy into.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, rbstern said:

He might come back and play another ten years without a problem.  It's impossible for anyone to know

Impossible?  Sure.  But if you’re putting odds on it, they’re not good.  This last concussion came fairly easy, and it would seem his next one could very well come even easier.  You don’t play multiple years, let alone 10, if that’s the case.

Kevin Kolb experienced the same thing with his 4th concussion in terms of the ease with which it came:  It was almost nothing, a lineman accidentally knocking a leg against his helmet while Kolb was on the ground.  That’s all it took.  Career over.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I was honestly SHOCKED when the Dolphins gave him that contract given his concussion history.  I mean, can anyone in that building go to the owner and say "we had no idea something like this might happen".  

The dude should absolutely 100% retire, but I'm not so sure he does.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Money talks. If the NFL wants him out so badly, pay him a special $100M severance package. Of course we all know NFL doesn’t want to protect him that badly.

14 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Did everyone see the opening sequence of the NFL Today on CBS on Sunday? Basically every guy in the studio was telling Tua to hang it up. One (I think Cowher) pointed out to Tua that "You are the quarterback of your family". Really, really hope this guy listens to reason. No one wants to see a guy get killed out there. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Did everyone see the opening sequence of the NFL Today on CBS on Sunday? Basically every guy in the studio was telling Tua to hang it up. One (I think Cowher) pointed out to Tua that "You are the quarterback of your family". Really, really hope this guy listens to reason. No one wants to see a guy get killed out there. 

yeah, I have no interest in seeing the guy die on TV. Scary stuff

• Upvote 1

He’s not done in my opinion. Hes due 106 million over the 25 and 26 seasons. I think, from a financial standpoint, the move is to be out for the season, and give it one more shot next year and collect another 55+ mill in 2025. If he stays healthy, he goes into 2026, if not, the 2025 money sets him up for life. People want to say he should retire but there is so much money he’d potentially lose, it’s going to be so hard for him to just walk away from it. I think the only way he walks away from his contract is if he isn’t medically cleared to play again.

4 minutes ago, extmenace said:

He’s not done in my opinion. Hes due 106 million over the 25 and 26 seasons. I think, from a financial standpoint, the move is to be out for the season, and give it one more shot next year and collect another 55+ mill in 2025. If he stays healthy, he goes into 2026, if not, the 2025 money sets him up for life. People want to say he should retire but there is so much money he’d potentially lose, it’s going to be so hard for him to just walk away from it. I think the only way he walks away from his contract is if he isn’t medically cleared to play again.

The money decision depends on his professional athlete disability insurance. The insurance company would undoubtedly argue that he can still play and is voluntarily retiring. If he is considering walking away, his lawyers are in talks right now with the insurance company to determine what kind of fight they will have on their hands and if the insurance company would resolve the situation with a slightly discounted payout on the policy. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The money decision depends on his professional athlete disability insurance. The insurance company would undoubtedly argue that he can still play and is voluntarily retiring. If he is considering walking away, his lawyers are in talks right now with the insurance company to determine what kind of fight they will have on their hands and if the insurance company would resolve the situation with a slightly discounted payout on the policy. 

That’s another aspect. At the end of the day, I think the money is the driving force here. He isn’t just walking away from football, he’s walking away from generational wealth. It’s easy, as a fan, to just say retire, but not many people will ever be in position to be able to decide if they want to walk away from 100’s of millions of dollars. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Upvote 1