Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flushing Roots

Is Petty The Guy?

39 posts in this topic

I heard a guy on the Kay Show yesterday swear up and down that Petty will be the starter and will turn out to be a great QB.

He went on to say Penn State messed up Hackenberg and McCown is not the answer.

Of course this is only one guy's opinion and I only post this because this guy seemed cock-sure this was going to happen.

I have no idea...

Does anyone strongly share this opinion or vehemently disagree with it?

I'd be curious to know what JN thinks... 

In the absence of evidence, optimism?

lol, no. Petty is almost assuredly not going to be a great QB.

He may start at some point late, after JAG gets hurt and before Hack gets his debut. But that's about it.

He was awful last year.  I do not see it.

15 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

I heard a guy on the Kay Show yesterday swear up and down that Petty will be the starter and will turn out to be a great QB.

Of course this is only one guy's opinion and I only post this because this guy seemed cock-sure this was going to happen.

I have no idea...

As opposed to any expert on this board that has "cock-sure" opinions?

The fact that pro personnel types can't succeed the majority of the time on player projections, makes me slightly less sure that fans can.

50 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

I have no idea...

I'm on the Petty bus!!!

I think this Hack hype is overlooking the fact that Petty was way ahead on the depth chart last season.  He might be the best QB on the roster come September.  Petty is not a lost cause.  I see serviceable backup potential.   Probably has no less talent than Hack.

Only way Petty becomes "The Guy" is if he successfully completes "I Wanna Be The Guy" (http://kayin.moe/iwbtg/)

As far as being the "Jets Guy," that's kind of impossible for a guy who's ceiling is Pat Ryan (being generous) / Jeff Hostetler (being very generous).

Are we basing this on what we want or what we saw last year? I want Petty to be better than  Elway. I saw a guy prolly tops out as career back up sorta like Kellsn Clemons. Not a bad thing but still leaves us in need of a franchise QB. 

Wouldn't it be nice if he put it all together? I doubt he does though.

Being 26 he doesn't have much time to prove there's something more to him than just being a gunslinger with a one track mind out in the field. Such is life for an older rookie, if he was Hack's age I might hold out on hope for him a little longer.

Bryce Petty will have a Brandon Weeden type career, so no he is not the answer.

8 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Wouldn't it be nice if he put it all together? I doubt he does though.

Being 26 he doesn't have much time to prove there's something more to him than just being a gunslinger with a one track mind out in the field. Such is life for an older rookie, if he was Hack's age I might hold out on hope for him a little longer.

Yep.  This is Petty's last shot.  He either makes a major impact in camp, or his time with the Jets is probably done.  I like Petty, but when your a 4th round draft pick, and the GM just surprised every one and took a 2nd rounder, the deckis kind of stacked against you.

I heard a guy say I was gonna have a threesome with Wonder Woman and Hilary Duff. Hope so.

I like that he isn't afraid to push the ball down field, I don't like that he is already in his prime years and still looks like a rookie

I think this is his last year in the league

Petty is the answer everyone else in this thread can STFU.

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Petty is the answer everyone else in this thread can STFU.

:-)

Being 26 already does concern me. Had a fantastic career at Baylor and I believe in his progression...I still want Hack to be our guy though.

I wish I could find a sportbook that would take a 100,000 dollar bet that petty is not the guy

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

While I personally want Hack to be our guy for several reasons including sticking it in a lot of people's faces here and because he just has that QB skill set. Guy looks like he should be the face of franchise lol... I think if you dig deeper into his game film instead of simply looking up stats you'll see he progressed greatly in reading defense and moving through his progressions. He made good choices a lot of the time even though the TD:INT ration says different. I like Petty and I do think he could be good..but I also think Hack can be great if things break correctly. This is what training camp is for. Petty could even squander his opportunity and I'd still think he has something good to offer...but in that case LOL...it just wouldn't be with the Jets.

i look on the bright side.  maybe hack/petty will be similar to the todd/robinson or o'brien/ryan pairing in the 80's.

14 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

I have no idea...

Most likely that guy was Skeptable or rangerous calling in

Petty wasn't good to begin with but putting him in West Coast offense pretty much eliminated any shot he ever had at any success here

Petty's future is a journeyman camp arm at best.

I don't have anything against him, hell I even like the guy - but (IMO) he's shown unequivocally that he doesn't posses the ability to master the finer points. Timing. Anticipation. Vision. Poise... Not gonna happen.  

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, Patriot Killa said:

While I personally want Hack to be our guy for several reasons including sticking it in a lot of people's faces here and because he just has that QB skill set. Guy looks like he should be the face of franchise lol... I think if you dig deeper into his game film instead of simply looking up stats you'll see he progressed greatly in reading defense and moving through his progressions. He made good choices a lot of the time even though the TD:INT ration says different. I like Petty and I do think he could be good..but I also think Hack can be great if things break correctly. This is what training camp is for. Petty could even squander his opportunity and I'd still think he has something good to offer...but in that case LOL...it just wouldn't be with the Jets.

This, absolutely this...Ask John Gruden about Hackenberg. I have no idea why he is already dismissed by virtually everyone. I only want to see, show me, and if he sucks, I will forever STFU lol.

Oh, and Petty gets injured when the wind blows and with this OL..

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Petty's future is a journeyman camp arm at best.

I don't have anything against him, hell I even like the guy - but (IMO) he's shown unequivocally that he doesn't posses the ability to master the finer points. Timing. Anticipation. Vision. Poise... Not gonna happen.  

Petty is a very poor man's Testaverde and that's being generous