Poll: Christian Hackenberg - "I Still Have Hope" vs "He's a Sunk Cost"

TuscanyTile2

Poll: Thoughts On Hackenberg: "Still Have Hope" vs "Sunk Cost"  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on Christian Hackenberg

• I still have hope for him
    • He didn't play a snap last year and is a Jets 2nd round draft choice. This is a no-brainer "sunk cost"

Would be interesting to take a poll of people's current opinion of Hack.  I would assume he's going to get some reps next year.  Maybe he'll surprise to the upside?  If so, it would be interesting to see people's thoughts about him before he even took a regulation NFL snap.

Personally I still have hope for the guy though of course he could completely bomb.  In any case, I'm 100% behind the Jets pulling the "suck for Sam" move.  But it certainly would be even better if we had the solution at QB in-house already.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets said plan all along was for him not to play a snap year one so can't hold that against him and the reports that he was awful were based on one disgruntled, just fired coach. Not saying he is going to be anything, just saying too soon to write him off.

Would be interesting to take a poll of people's current opinion of Hack.  I would assume he's going to get some reps next year.  Maybe he'll surprise to the upside?  If so, it would be interesting to see people's thoughts about him before he even took a regulation NFL snap.
Personally I still have hope for the guy though of course he could completely bomb.  In any case, I'm 100% behind the Jets pulling the "suck for Sam" move.  But it certainly would be even better if we had the solution at QB in-house already.

I have not seen hack and practice nor have I seen a coach in person voice his concern or excitement about his ability. I think we need to let the kid play. Coach em up let him play let him fail. And then we'll know.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You can't really reply in the positive or negative on this one. Until you see the guy actually throw a football how can anyone? Do I hope he's he good? Of course. Every Jet fan should. Should fan's blast the guy because he hasn't played and their favorite signed with another team(Glennon Guys)? NO. Should he be labeled a bust by fan's because their guy was given every shot and blew it(Genoids)? NO. I'm not defending Hack I'm just reserving judgement until the guy proves it either way on the field. AS WE ALL SHOULD.

14 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Hope yes, but I'm waiting for a total bust. Co'mon he's a Jets 2nd round pick, you guys know the rules..

Watch Hack turn out to be the Jets best 2nd round in years. It will up for all the busts all the way back to Nugent. I can dream can't I?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

None of the above.

He's a............

....mystery 

This.  Now mind you I thought it was a horrible draft pick but I'm not a NFL GM - let's at least see the kid in action first before making judgment calls.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I still have hope. I like having hope. If the Jets take a QB in the first two rounds this year, I reserve the right to no longer have hope. 

As the Jets will have shown that they had lost Hope at that point.

If they don't take a QB my hope will go up.....yikes

I understand that their are many more qbs drafted into the NFL that fail vs ones who succeed. With Hackenberg many people expected him to fail before we even drafted him at all.  The problem is that people expect the scenario that they play over and over in their head to be the outcome that happens in reality.  That's just not always the case at all.

if he can activate muscle memory and just develop his mechanics in way that becomes 2nd nature than we could really have something here.  the guy has so many characteristics that are very hard to find in terms of intelligence, size, strength and the love of the game that causes him to work hard every day.  The fact that he has mechanical issues with something that he has done for so many years is surprising and I hope it can be corrected. I have hope. Because if he does succeed he has the potential to be the best we've had since Namath.

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

its called a redshirt season and it happens all the time do you really think you know more than mmaccaggnnann I mean really

Favre  got a Red Shirt year, did Nagle?  Could that be the difference between the 2 success?

I remember Kiper/McShay/Mayock/etc were all saying he needed 2-3 years before starting, and that the physical and mental parts were all there.

So, if this were year 3 id have no hope. Now, I have hope. But unless he blows everyone away this year, I don't think his potential should preclude us from drafting someone that we love.

Extreme hopes are born from extreme misery. In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, because it prolongs the torments of man, and he that lives upon hope will die fasting.

The reality is, we're all gonna die in a massive, cataclysmic meteor storm in late July. The earth is going to be knocked of its axis and hurtle through space, unbound of Her shackles of gravity. If there are a few momentary survivors, we're gonna cannibalize each other before we fly off  this doomed rock like so many ants and burn up into cinders with the rest of them. So, I submit, what does it really matter if Hackenberg is hope or bust?  All one can ask for is that The New Dump gets leveled first. 

4 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Extreme hopes are born from extreme misery. In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, because it prolongs the torments of man, and he that lives upon hope will die fasting.

The reality is, we're all gonna die in a massive, cataclysmic meteor storm in late July. The earth is going to be knocked of its axis and hurtle through space, unbound of Her shackles of gravity. If there are a few momentary survivors, we're gonna cannibalize each other before we fly off  this doomed rock like so many ants and burn up into cinders with the rest of them. So, I submit, what does it really matter if Hackenberg is hope or bust?  All one can ask for is that The New Dump gets leveled first. 

Professor, when are the modern philosophy term papers due again?:D

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

None of the above.

He's a mystery. 

imo he's not a mystery. it all comes down to anyone thinking the jets scouting staff and mac had good reason to pick hack in the first place.  if you believe mac and co are good talent evaluators then hack was a good choice.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Way too early to give up on him, but hard to envision him working out after watching him throw the football last season.  

Pretty much how I feel.

I rip on the pick a lot, just because a 2nd round QB should warrant being higher than 4th string behind a bad trio of Fitz-Geno-Petty, and should further have warranted at least some garbage time action in week 17 when he's one of only 2 remaining healthy QBs on the roster. Despite the discouraging things I've read - and the little (but still generally discouraging) action I've seen - it is still my desire for Hackenberg to show us all that he's the goods. 

Plus no matter how many times some still stick to repeating the lie that team announced in advance they were going to redshirt him this year, repetition doesn't make it true. It never happened, which is why no one can find the team even alluding to this in the spring & summer. Maccagnan said the opposite in early May, right after drafting him: Hackenberg would compete for the starting QB job (so it goes without saying he'd be competing for the #2 job), to dress up every week, which is the exact opposite of redshirting him. They stashed him that far down after seeing him day in day out in practice, and couldn't justify putting him ahead of anyone on the depth chart. 

Hope ≠ optimism. I think most hope he'll be great for us; a far lower percentage seem optimistic.

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo he's not a mystery. it all comes down to anyone thinking the jets scouting staff and mac had good reason to pick hack in the first place.  if you believe mac and co are good talent evaluators then hack was a good choice.

This statement infers that, if Hackenberg isn't good then you no longer think Mac and co are good talent evaluators; that anyone good that they did draft was either an easy pick (e.g. Leo), and with anyone else that pans out they just got lucky despite their incompetence.

Archived