What are the reasons to not draft Watson?

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Idk reason why not but listening to Bucky and Gruden pass few days they sure make u excited to draft Watson 

Jon Gruden was the head coach of the Raiders from 1998 to 2001. He drafted 1 Qb in that time.  Marques Tuiasosopo in the 2nd Round. 

Gruden was the head coach of the Bucs from 2002 to 2008. In 2003, he drafted Chris Simms in the 3rd round. In 2006 he drafted Bruce Gradkowski in the 6th round. In 2008 he drafted Josh Johnson in the 5th round. 

With that said, please tell me again why I should care what Gruden has to say about QB prospects coming out of college? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stark said:

Ill take Mahomes out of all the QB's, I know he is raw, needs to work on drops and footwork, reading defenses. BUT... he has abilities that you can't coach. Based on all the QB's in this draft he is the only one I would want us to take

Agreed. But that is more of a mid-round Qb prospect than a kid you take in the 1st or even the 2nd. If you take him he will have to redshirt which is something we were mocked for doing with Hack. Mahomes seems like a great fit for a team that already has an established vet and is looking to groom a replacement. Having Mahomes/Hack/Petty/Mccown seems like a recipe for disaster. 

On 4/18/2017 at 2:46 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Darnold went 9-1 for the season, throwing 31 TDs, over 3000 yards at a comp % over 67. Kid was a dominant player for a season, and I can't wait to see what he does this coming year.

If he was a junior and decided to come out THIS YEAR he would have indisputably been the top QB in the draft. It wouldn't even be close. This year will be a good one for USC.

He won 9 straight after losing his first start. Sam and USC were buzzing through out the entire winning streak. The people who think its based off just the Rose Bowl are wrong and didnt watch CFB

• Upvote 4

Just now, Jet Life said:

He won 9 straight after losing his first start. Sam and USC were buzzing through out the entire winning streak. The people who think its based off just the Rose Bowl are wrong and didnt watch CFB

Exactly. It's not even about the numbers, it's about the way he stays in the pocket, goes through progressions, makes every pass, has great accuracy, has a big arm, can throw on the run, can bring his team back from near defeat in big games (see Rose Bowl) etc.

There are the Goffs/Wentz/watson/Trubisky types that go high because they are the best of the QB class and then there are guys like Darnold/Luck/Elway that stand out among all other QBs. Sure you can occasionally get lucky with a Wentz (seemingly), but with Darnold the chance for success is closer to 100pct. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jon Gruden was the head coach of the Raiders from 1998 to 2001. He drafted 1 Qb in that time.  Marques Tuiasosopo in the 2nd Round. 

Gruden was the head coach of the Bucs from 2002 to 2008. In 2003, he drafted Chris Simms in the 3rd round. In 2006 he drafted Bruce Gradkowski in the 6th round. In 2008 he drafted Josh Johnson in the 5th round. 

With that said, please tell me again why I should care what Gruden has to say about QB prospects coming out of college? 

One thing positive about these guys is the amount of time they spent in the league.  The average career length of a NFL QB is 4.44 years according to statista.com.

Gradkowski: 2006 - 2016 (10 years, 20 starts)

Tuiasosopo: 2001 - 2008 (7 years, 2 starts)

Simms: 2003 - 2010 (7 years, 16 starts)

Johnson: 2008 - present (8+ years, 5 starts)

Gruden did not find a Russell Wilson, or a Dak Prescott but those are rare.  As of today (pre-draft), 18 of the 32 starting QBs for next year were drafted in the first round.  3 in the 2nd, 4 in the 3rd, 3 in the 4th, 2 in the 6th, 1 in the 7th, and 1 undrafted.  Since 2000, 213 QBs have been drafted.  Finding a starting QB in the league (for next year), not taken in the 1st round is 8.3%. Not taken in the top 40 (early 2nd round QBs tend to hit at a 50% rate, i.e. Carr, Dalton, Brees), that rate drops to 6.8%.  Of that 6.8% that were drafted not in the top 40, McCown, Hoyer and Brady are the only two QBs not selected in the last 5 drafts (since 2011).  If you don't think McCown is the Jets starter, then Brady and Hoyer would be the only ones.  

Since 2000, the average number of starts for a QB's career not taken in the 1st round is 10.7 games.  Not taken in the top 40, 8.47 games. 

Gruden was 0/4 in finding a starting QB, so no he is not some QB draft guru, but its not like he was terrible.  He actually drafted two QBs that have been above average for non-first round draft picks and are not really expected to become starters.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. But that is more of a mid-round Qb prospect than a kid you take in the 1st or even the 2nd. If you take him he will have to redshirt which is something we were mocked for doing with Hack. Mahomes seems like a great fit for a team that already has an established vet and is looking to groom a replacement. Having Mahomes/Hack/Petty/Mccown seems like a recipe for disaster. 

I know its not popular or preferred by most, just my opinion.

• 3 years later...
On 4/18/2017 at 1:14 PM, JiF said:

They're absolutely identical.  Agreed.

Davis is a stud.  Yes, he's absolutely worth a 2nd round pick.  He reminds me a lot of Harris to be honest but probably a little more skilled in coverage.  He was the heart and soul of a lot of very good defensive teams.  Great kid too.  I love Jarrad Davis. 

You’ve got some killer posts in this thread. This one was fun to see. Hope it’s true. All you Deshaun posts: ???

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You’ve got some killer posts in this thread. This one was fun to see. Hope it’s true. All you Deshaun posts: ???

lol you're on a roll right now.  I have honestly searched for this thread, this is the one where I battled the pass on Watson/Mahomes and wait for Darnold crowd.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 4/17/2017 at 11:03 PM, T0mShane said:

When you tell me a dude's fastball tops out at 84 MPH, I think of Pennington who had literally every other part of the game locked down, and I get the shakes thinking about how many passes turned into turnovers because it was .00045 seconds late. 

@Smizzy Ban this moron

• Haha 1

he should have played last season and we would have seen something I am so so fuucking tired of this drivel. Hackenburg not playing last year says NOTHING about him. and we were specifically told maybe as early as April of last year that he would red shirt his first year. He is a project and needs to fix some issues, but his main issue is footwork and that CAN be fixed.
Hackenburg has dramatically higher upside than Watson. Hackenburg has
Elite arm strnegth
Elite release
Extremely high football intelligence
Experience under center
Experience in a pro offense
Very high performance under a real head coach in O'Brien
Watson has NONE of these.
Hackenburgs upside is the best QB in the NFL.
Watson's is Alex Smith, maybe.
In my analysis, Mahones, Trubisky and maybe even Kizer and Davis Webb ALL have more upside than Watson, who I firmly believe will flop hard in the NFL. All he has is the "winner" intangible which has been proven over and over and over and over to mean nothing in the transition to the NFL.

This aged well

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

• Haha 1

I just think it is daft to draft this guy at #2. 

He is a rich dauphin who was born with more money than he will earn as a football player.

He has a weak arm - 49 mph.

He has a history of shoulder injuries.

He played college football in a weak conference against a creampuff schedule.

He played on a team filled with 26 year old men - who took off fours years to do missionary work - while they line up against 21 year old kids.

What on earth justifies taking him with the 2d pick in the NFL draft?  It is like some sort of collective madness.

I realize that many of you want a new QB and that you have had it with Sam.  But this is insane.

At #23 one of the four also ran QBs will be available.  If not, then next season awaits.  But I do not get the hero worship.  And stop with the Mahomes comparisons.  Mahomes was a college football stud who was healthy and projected into the NFL long before he was drafted.  This guy dropped out of the sky.   And do not bomb me with Wilson's senior year production.  Dwayne Haskins threw 50 tds in his last year at Ohio State against a schedule filled with the toughest competition in college football.

That light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.  This is dumb.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I know no one will agree with me, but Mahomes, IMO, is the best QB in this draft. I don’t even think it’ll be close when it’s all said and done. He’ll most likely be the first to get a half a billion dollar deal. Just watch. 

Watson will also be a top QB, as long as he stays out of legal troubles and starts visiting some AMPs.

Edit: I had this post saved but for some reason it never got posted...I swear. 

• Haha 4

@joewilly12 Getting 11 thumbs down for saying that Watson has the higher ceiling than Hack is retrospective gold.

It's interesting that taking a QB at 6 was against the grain on this board back then, it seemed that a lot of other platforms were pro Watson at that pick. I remember being puzzled when I lurked back then because I thought I was apart of the majority when it came to taking Watson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

In 2021 if the Jets had drafted Watson, paid him 30 mil plus , and faced 12 lawsuits for sex bs it would have been an utter disaster 

That would not have been a good pick 

This is a thread where everyone just breezed by his worst flaw, his disregard for women. 

If Watson was on the team right now we'd have to live through his upcoming downfall 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, clayton163v said:

I just think it is daft to draft this guy at #2. 

He is a rich dauphin who was born with more money than he will earn as a football player.

He has a weak arm - 49 mph.

He has a history of shoulder injuries.

He played college football in a weak conference against a creampuff schedule.

He played on a team filled with 26 year old men - who took off fours years to do missionary work - while they line up against 21 year old kids.

What on earth justifies taking him with the 2d pick in the NFL draft?  It is like some sort of collective madness.

I realize that many of you want a new QB and that you have had it with Sam.  But this is insane.

At #23 one of the four also ran QBs will be available.  If not, then next season awaits.  But I do not get the hero worship.  And stop with the Mahomes comparisons.  Mahomes was a college football stud who was healthy and projected into the NFL long before he was drafted.  This guy dropped out of the sky.   And do not bomb me with Wilson's senior year production.  Dwayne Haskins threw 50 tds in his last year at Ohio State against a schedule filled with the toughest competition in college football.

That light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.  This is dumb.

Like the use of the word "dauphin" here. Nothing wrong with expanding the JN vocabulary. Well done, sir. 

On 4/17/2017 at 11:08 PM, T0mShane said:

To be fair, he's not all that accurate, either. If they draft him at 6, that's fine. I'm sure it'll be a great story and I'll hope Morton has a plan for him. It'll be refreshing to have a guy of his caliber running plays for us. But if we're sitting here in three years after Stephon Gilmore runs another pick six back on a Watson soft-toss, we're all gonna be wicked depressed because it was 100% predictable.

EFF YOU @JiF

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2017 at 9:09 AM, JiF said:

One radar reading during a drill where the point is to complete passes.  In that drill, Watson by far looked like the best prospect throwing the Football.  He had zip, placement and accuracy.  But a couple of bloggers up in the stands point a radar gun at a couple of random passes that Watson didnt know were being clocked and poof - 49 MPH was created and its the first time I've ever heard of it.  Meanwhile, there is no proof that 49 MPH cant succeed in the NFL because the sample size is so small and it's a completely illegitimate effort run by bloggers with nobody else in the industry verifying their "findings". 

Of all the predraft hysteria that is created over the years as the draft process becomes more involved...this MPH thingy that is new to 2017 is the stupidest sh*t I've yet to see.

Slow processor is this years MPH

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2017 at 9:28 AM, JiF said:

Well, then we were watching 2 different QB's.  He has plenty of velocity, he can make any throw and he asked to drive the ball down the field 10x more than your normal option read.  The guy lit up college D's loaded with NFL talent and of these "issues" mattered. 

He's basically Marcus Mariota except a shorter. 

On 4/18/2017 at 9:31 AM, Augustiniak said:

mariotta threw 14 picks in 3 years at oregon.  watson threw 17 picks last year.  they are not the same qb, not even close.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:37 AM, JiF said:

Their the exactly same actually.  Mariota didnt throw the ball nearly as much as Watson nor did he play even remotely the same competition. 

The only difference between the 2?  One has huge gigantic balls in the clutch and the other a soft little pussy who shrinks when the big lights are shinning. 

• Upvote 1