Report: Four Teams Making Serious bid for Khalil Mack, Jets Included?

JetNation

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't agree. With Mack, only 27,  we will have a top 5 defense this season.  The Jets still will have plenty of cap space for next season and we probably recoup a third rounder for Bridgewater. The Jets would be idiots not to trade for Mack if they could. With Mack and Darnold they would solve two needs that have been plaguing this team for years.

Having Mack and solving 2 issues (qb and lb) sounds great, but at what cost?  Giving up 3 premium picks and a player seems rich to me.   But everybody will rationalize this thru their own eyes.    I’d be comfortable with next yrs first rder and a mid draft pick. No more.  I’d tradeTeddy instead of the mid rd pick if they prefer that.  We will get by without him and not have to worry about him getting injured or holding out after we sign him.  

4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The jets are substantially improved team from last year when they won 5 games. If you think the jets are picking top 6 you are in fantasy land 

They have been picked to be the second worst team in the league

The Vegas over/ under is 6 wins.    

Who is in Fantasy Land???

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

And your assuming that his previous production will just carry over to the Jets scheme and approach to D.

I remember when the Pats signed Vince Willfork and how that was going to make them an all world defense. And that was a team that usually knows to scheme and get the most of their players.

K Mack 6'3 265 is scheme proof.   He didn't make all pro at two different positions ( Olb) and De in the same year by accident .   ( only player ever to do that).  He can play Olb in 3-4 ( not only top pass rusher but just as effective against the run) .He can play De in 4-3 .    ( plays the run just as well).  

As good as  K Mack is ,he can get even better as a player.

2 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

K Mack 6'3 265 is scheme proof.   He didn't make all pro at two diffrent positions ( Olb) and De in the same year by accident .   ( only player ever to do that).  He can play Olb in 3-4 ( not only top pass rusher but just as effective against the run) .He can play De in 4-3 .     

Agree a player with his talent isn't available all the time. Mike Maccagnan needs to make a deal with Oakland. 

13 hours ago, JetNation said:

Mack.jpg

Is it time for Jets fans to stop viewing the possibility of acquiring Khalil Mack from the Oakland Raiders as more than just a pipe dream for a team that lacks any semblance of a true pass rusher?  After all, what are the odds of adding both a potential franchise quarterback and a player who is arguably the best defender in the league, all in the span of a few months?  According to Pro Football talk and Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, it may not be as far-fetched as it once seemed.

If the Raiders are interested in retaining Mack for the long-term, they sure have a funny way of showing it.  Per PFT, there has been no contract offer from the Raiders to Mack since February.  Perhaps Oakland’s plan is to allow Mack to play out 2018 before slapping him with the franchise tag over the following two seasons.  That move would allow the Raiders to pay huge money during his prime years, hoping to avoid huge cap hits as he enters his 30’s.

Whatever Oakland’s plan is, it’s now being reported that the team isn’t “slamming the door” on teams calling to inquire about Mack’s availability, with four teams reportedly making serious offers.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News who initially reported that the Jets had called the Raiders last week, fired off a tweet saying the Jets calls to the Raiders wasn’t a case of the team doing their due diligence, but that “The Jets are serious”.

Oakland is in dire need of a backup quarterback and the Jets have one of those that they could include in any offer in Teddy Bridgewater.  Any deal would also have to include their 2019 first round pick as a starting point, with a chance it would take a 2020 first-rounder as well.

Add to this the fact that the Jets are projected to have somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 million in cap space next year, and one would have to believe the Jets would be in the running as Mack would be cost prohibitive to many other teams.  The former defensive player of the year is reportedly seeking $20 million a year.

That kind of cap room could allow the Jets to pay Mack an enormous base salary in his first two seasons, then having that number drop considerably over the remaining years of the contract, meaning the Jets could easier manage their cap in future years.

A franchise quarterback and elite pass rusher all at once is a bit much to expect, right?  Well, maybe not.

The post Report: Four Teams Making Serious bid for Khalil Mack, Jets Included? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

t752F2447Y8

Click here to read the full story...

we are not wining this year with or without him.  No thanks

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The only players in the NFL that I would trade multiple first round draft picks for are potential franchise QBs. 

I’d love to land a guy like Mack, but I’m not giving anything more than one first round pick. 

Considering we'll likely have a mid round pick, that's like saying you'd only trade Darron Lee for Mack.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

This team drafts terribly. You can't fire Macc he just got Sam Darnold. I think trading two # 1's for Mack is great. Macc won't have to worry about the QB position, Safety, CB, ILB and edge rusher next off-season. More time for him to find some offensive lineman.

Let's be honest...we're not gonna find that OL in the 3rd round....OL is one of the hardest positions to develop under this CBA. If we're gonna build a nasty OL it will take finding blue chippers in the 1st/2nd rounds or signing marquee FAs

And we can't just assume we can buy a whole new OL with the rest of the cap people have to actually agree to come here...

Also....OL isnt even our only problem. We still need a true #1 WR and a dynamic RB

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The only players in the NFL that I would trade multiple first round draft picks for are potential franchise QBs. 

I’d love to land a guy like Mack, but I’m not giving anything more than one first round pick. 

Would you give up Jamal Adams and Darron Lee or Khlalil Mack?

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Considering we'll likely have a mid round pick, that's like saying you'd only trade Darron Lee for Mack.

See this is where we disagree, IF the Jets were in 2010 mode yes I’d throw a ton of draft capital at a guy like Mack, it really wouldn’t matter the cost, BUT the 2018 NY Jets could easily end 5-11 again, or worse with a top 6 pick which would piss me off watching the Raiders select some future offensive playmaker that sets them up for 7 years, or franchise LT with our early pick.

I wait till next year, and revisit this don’t bail Bowles out with another HUGE defensive piece while the offense is running a rookie QB out there with questionable protection, and play makers specifically in the run game.

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

K Mack 6'3 265 is scheme proof.   He didn't make all pro at two different positions ( Olb) and De in the same year by accident .   ( only player ever to do that).  He can play Olb in 3-4 ( not only top pass rusher but just as effective against the run) .He can play De in 4-3 .    ( plays the run just as well).  

Yeah but Bowles hasn't coached him "up" yet.

And Klecko made all-pro at 3 positions ( NT, DT, DE)

Upping my "eat the fruit with the skin still on it and video tape it" bet.  I will now piss a pair of my own pants and video tape for you all to see if we land Mack.  That's how sure I am that this won't happen.

I see we are not any closer to having a consensus opinion about Mack. I thought we would have made progress as a fan base by now. 

I’ve gone from no first to let’s trade a first in a matter of a week. Just saw highlights of the Giants game and now I’m ready to give away one of Macc’s kids in the trade. It’ll hurt at first but when the kid gets older, he’ll understand.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Would you give up Jamal Adams and Darron Lee or Khlalil Mack?

Obviously, I’d take Mack. 

But, that’s not a very good way to look at it, IMO. 

We have no idea what Macc (or a future GM) could do with our next two first round picks.

How many teams ever trade multiple firsts for a positional player? Keyshawn to the Bucs for two firsts? Who else? How often does it really end up being worth it?

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Possibly, but I would hope we could do better than Darron Lee with any mid round pick next year. 

And regardless, I am not yet convinced that we won’t have another top ten pick. I’m hopeful, but far from certain. 

If we were a legit contender next year, you could talk me into it. But, not given our current (realistic) competitive viability, draft capital, and considerable upcoming cap space.  

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

See this is where we disagree, IF the Jets were in 2010 mode yes I’d throw a ton of draft capital at a guy like Mack, it really wouldn’t matter the cost, BUT the 2018 NY Jets could easily end 5-11 again, or worse with a top 6 pick which would piss me off watching the Raiders select some future offensive playmaker that sets them up for 7 years, or franchise LT with our early pick.

I wait till next year, and revisit this don’t bail Bowles out with another HUGE defensive piece while the offense is running a rookie QB out there with questionable protection, and play makers specifically in the run game.

This is spot on.

We have a ton of holes to fill and have no business burning multiple number ones on a defensive positional player. 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

This team drafts terribly. You can't fire Macc he just got Sam Darnold. I think trading two # 1's for Mack is great. Macc won't have to worry about the QB position, Safety, CB, ILB and edge rusher next off-season. More time for him to find some offensive lineman.

But Blue chip offensive lineman aren't available in free agency, especially Tackles. The good ones aren't let go by their drafted teams, its a lot like the QB position that way. Only flawed one's wind up hitting free agency, injured players and MAYBE the occasional quality player that's a bad fit or can't be re-signed due to cap restraints, but that's not reliable. When the Jets signed Beachum they may have gotten the best LT available at the time, that's the caliber of O-lineman available in any given free agent market.

You want to keep Sam upright you keep those first rounders and invest in it there, because that's where you've got the best shot of getting some good O-lineman. I'd go so far as to say it's easier to find a pass rusher in FA than good o-lineman.

But Blue chip offensive lineman aren't available in free agency, especially Tackles. The good ones aren't let go by their drafted teams, its a lot like the QB position that way. Only flawed one's wind up hitting free agency, injured players and MAYBE the occasional quality player that's a bad fit or can't be re-signed due to cap restraints, but that's not reliable. When the Jets signed Beachum they may have gotten the best LT available at the time, that's the caliber of O-lineman available in any given free agent market.
You want to keep Sam upright you keep those first rounders and invest in it there, because that's where you've got the best shot of getting some good O-lineman. I'd go so far as to say it's easier to find a pass rusher in FA than good o-lineman.

Idk Ill take Nate Solder and Mack over two Mac first rounders any day.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

If we were good enough to be legit contenders now, we wouldn't have the money available to take on a guy like Mack.

I dunno, I see your points and normally think conservatively myself.  As in, save all cap space and draft picks this season while Sam learns the ropes.  Then spluge next year.

However this is Mack we're talking about.  One of the best defenders entering his prime,  who just happens to play at arguably our most glaring weak point.  This opportunity will not be here next year.  No equivalent one will be either.

Now I think oline is much more important.  In fact I think it's even more important than QB.  But an oline isn't potentially available at the moment.  A dominant edge rusher is.

And imo, that is the missing link for this defense to be top notch.  Which in turn helps our young QB by keeping games close.

Not to mention we'd still have like 80mil in cap space.  So it's not like we'd be giving up on building around Sam next year.

Either way I'm happy with the way things are going.  However if I'm Macc, and I have the chance to grab Mack...  I'm doing it.

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

Watching the Raiders, Connor Cook is absolutely horrible fwiw. They really could use Bridgewater tbh...Thinking in a package deal

Both backup QBs are garbage( Ej Manuel)  but only reason you don’t accept him in any K Mack trade is Bridgewater is still only a one year rental.   They probably get a backup Qb from system familiar to Grudens . ( easy to learn )

Packer backup QBs fit what Gruden likes ( mobility) in his Qb. That’s who I can see the Raiders doing a deal with. Gruden is terrible judge of Qb’s. Thank God Carr was already on the roster. 

17 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Both backup QBs are garbage( Ej Manuel)  but only reason you don’t accept him in any K Mack trade is Bridgewater is still only a one year rental.   They probably get a backup Qb from system familiar to Grudens . ( easy to learn )

I think you are missing the point here. No one is suggesting the Raiders want TB as their long term answer at QB, just as a backup in case Carr goes down and you don't want your season to go down in flames. 

17 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Packer backup QBs fit what Gruden likes ( mobility) in his Qb. That’s who I can see the Raiders doing a deal with. Gruden is terrible judge of Qb’s. Thank God Carr was already on the roster. 

Um, Teddy Bridgewater is as mobile, if not more, than the likes of Derek Carr, Jeff Garcia at 38 who was no longer mobile and  Brad Johnson (at 34+ and completely immobile) You know the guy Gruden won a Super Bowl with. Gruden did have Rich Gannon who, even at 35/36 was mobile, but I just haven't seen a history of Gruden surrounding himself with mobile QBs. 

If anything, this list proves that Gruden LOVES veteran/smart QBs that aren't necessarily supremely gifted. Kind of reminds me of Teddy....

9 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So that draft pick you want to save will be arriving just in time to put us over the top for the Super Bowl. Got it.

I like number one picks, especially high ones.  what can I say?  Football trades do not work out a lot.  There is also a lot of money available next year.

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Your articulate response left me wanting more.

so tell me hom many wins you predict and why?   Who will they best on their  2018 schedule?

why do you disagree with the other professionals? 

They won 5 last year and had to play Petty the last 3 games.  They lost 6 games by one score of less.  Easily could have, should have won a few more games last year.  

I also dont believe with 6 wins they'd be the second worst team in the league

Archived