Will Pryor be revitalized?

Jetster

6'-4", 228 Lbs, 4.4 speed. 

I think the difference between good & great players in the NFL is work ethic when you have all the athletic ability in the world. We know that this kid is a was converted to WR in 2015. So he's really only played WR for 2 years & played the entire 2017 injured and had surgery in the offseason. Pryor was literally one of the most recruited high school athletes in the country. The question you ask is, does he really put the work in to be the best he can be? His Cleveland years were horrible, winning 1 game in 2 years. His 2017 was spent playing injured. Here with the Jets he's just 1 of 4 WRs and not expected to be a superstar. Kearse, Enunwa, Anderson, Pryor. 

How exciting is it to be a WR and realize you have a QB that will get you the ball? When is the last time the Jets had a 3rd/4th WR with Pryors measurables? Think about the 3rd & 4th CBs in this league, most are slot types in the 5'-9"/10" range. If Pryor really wants to continue to develop his skills, route running, and focus on resurrecting his career as a WR in a contract year, he could be a huge contributor. 

Quincy proved what a beast he can be on MNF, Anderson is a real threat to take the top off a defense & Sam has already proven they can stretch the field at least 50 yards, that leaves a lot of open field for Pryor to work in & start abusing some secondaries. This is a deep & underrated group now that we have a QB to deliver the ball. I can't wait for Sunday! 

I have a feeling the Jets aren’t going to want to mess up ANY chemistry for Sam and keep him surrounded with weapons. I can see Pryor and Kearse on short term deals while we sign Anderson and Enunwa long term.

It would be pricey but that is easily the best receiving core in the league based on depth and ability to spread the ball around which is key for the WCO and Sam’s development. I’d also like to see Powell brought back for $3mil 1 year deal and for us to find a solid longer term #2 behind Crowell. Maybe sprinkle in an upgrade at TE and our offensive skill positions are done.

This is why we can’t overspend picks/$ for any one player like Bell or even Mack. If we truly have a good foundation, lock em’ up and add a few more pieces. Splurge on O-line/pass rusher that’s it. Defense is another story since we need to resign Mo short term like kearse and Pryor while hopefully finding replacements for all 3 over next 2 years.

We are making a run in this 5 year window and should take advantage of our cap space to lock our own up and take bigger hits early so we can keep adding over next few years and maintain flexibility. 

37 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think the difference between good & great players in the NFL is work ethic when you have all the athletic ability in the world. We know that this kid is a was converted to WR in 2015. So he's really only played WR for 2 years & played the entire 2017 injured and had surgery in the offseason. Pryor was literally one of the most recruited high school athletes in the country. The question you ask is, does he really put the work in to be the best he can be? His Cleveland years were horrible, winning 1 game in 2 years. His 2017 was spent playing injured. Here with the Jets he's just 1 of 4 WRs and not expected to be a superstar. Kearse, Enunwa, Anderson, Pryor. 

How exciting is it to be a WR and realize you have a QB that will get you the ball? When is the last time the Jets had a 3rd/4th WR with Pryors measurables? Think about the 3rd & 4th CBs in this league, most are slot types in the 5'-9"/10" range. If Pryor really wants to continue to develop his skills, route running, and focus on resurrecting his career as a WR in a contract year, he could be a huge contributor. 

Quincy proved what a beast he can be on MNF, Anderson is a real threat to take the top off a defense & Sam has already proven they can stretch the field at least 50 yards, that leaves a lot of open field for Pryor to work in & start abusing some secondaries. This is a deep & underrated group now that we have a QB to deliver the ball. I can't wait for Sunday! 

18 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Keyshawn? He was a possession receiver. And how is it a bit much if you can only come up with one other guy since Toon.

Not to nit pick a pretty solid post/thread, but come on. Keyshawn Johnson, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Santana Moss, Art Monk, Coles, Cotchery, Burress,...Jalen Saunders lol 

Most of those guys had boat loads of potential. 

I get your point, but I'm just having little fun with it. I like having Pryor and having him in a supporting role is just perfect. He is not expected to be "the Guy" and has every measurable that "the Guy" would have. Height, speed, size, ability.   He can just settle in and abuse the third or 4th DB for 2-4 catches a game. Kinda like Garcon did to us in the first AFC championship game. 

41 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I have a feeling the Jets aren’t going to want to mess up ANY chemistry for Sam and keep him surrounded with weapons. I can see Pryor and Kearse on short term deals while we sign Anderson and Enunwa long term.

It would be pricey but that is easily the best receiving core in the league based on depth and ability to spread the ball around which is key for the WCO and Sam’s development. I’d also like to see Powell brought back for $3mil 1 year deal and for us to find a solid longer term #2 behind Crowell. Maybe sprinkle in an upgrade at TE and our offensive skill positions are done.

This is why we can’t overspend picks/$ for any one player like Bell or even Mack. If we truly have a good foundation, lock em’ up and add a few more pieces. Splurge on O-line/pass rusher that’s it. Defense is another story since we need to resign Mo short term like kearse and Pryor while hopefully finding replacements for all 3 over next 2 years.

We are making a run in this 5 year window and should take advantage of our cap space to lock our own up and take bigger hits early so we can keep adding over next few years and maintain flexibility. 

I think with the age of the QB and if properly built we can have a 10 yr run. If we build it properly with youth and the right players. It is not bad siging a free agent just not one for a quick one yr fix

Big big target. Darnold can miss a little with Pryor. Nice to have for a rookie QB.

Said this before, it's hard to break in young inexperienced WRs at the same time playing the youngest starting QB ever. I think that had something to do with Hansen being out and maybe Stewart being cut in an attempt to stash on the P Squad. It's probably smarter surrounding Darnold with experience at the WR position.

21 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Keyshawn? He was a possession receiver. And how is it a bit much if you can only come up with one other guy since Toon.

It's not that I can't come up with more, I just went with the highest profile one off the top of my head. It's not like we've had a wealth of WR's here but I never thought of Pryor as such a huge potential guy. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just kind of shocking to read that.

35 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

He's never gonna duplicate that season he had in Cleveland but he'll still be a valuable weapon here. 

It's great to interchange these guys, they all bring something different to the table.

Exactly right. Each WR has unique benefits. Good job by Macc in giving Sam some nice weapons.

Darnold got him involved on Monday. Enunwa was his go-to guy, but Pryor and Sterling each caught three passes and everyone else with a catch had just one (including Anderson). Also, the Jets didn't really have many red zone opportunities, which is where you'd expect to see Pryor shine. We'll see what the distribution looks like when Kearse returns to the lineup, but I expect him to be a consistent contributor with weeks where he's the team's leading receiver. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Darnold got him involved on Monday. Enunwa was his go-to guy, but Pryor and Sterling each caught three passes and everyone else with a catch had just one (including Anderson). Also, the Jets didn't really have many red zone opportunities, which is where you'd expect to see Pryor shine. We'll see what the distribution looks like when Kearse returns to the lineup, but I expect him to be a consistent contributor with weeks where he's the team's leading receiver. 

We also took the foot off the gas shortly after half time. We will see a better representation of what they can do when the Jets are forced to play 4 quarters of football. Hell Darron Lee had twice as many catches as Robbie and same number of touchdowns. Haha.. not sure we see that again. 

Pryor looks pretty good to me. I was surprised that Q was Sam's go-to guy on Monday but it sometimes works out like that. Like Sam said he took what the D gave him. I still think that Kearse is the most underrated player on the Jets. The Sheldon trade not only got us an extra 2nd round pick that we used to get Sam but we got a good possession receiver in Kearse. I'm glad we did not get rid of him. NEP would really love a guy like him. 

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If they can figure out how to get a pass in his hands while he has a full head of steam, watch out. His potential is higher than any WR the Jets have had since Al Toon.

Poor mans robbie Anderson 

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

He’s a nice number 4 for us behind Enunwa, Kearse, Anderson.

and that’s all he is

so many holes in his game

I disagree with your assessment of Terrelle Pryor. 

Back in only 2016 as a 1st year WR (for Cleveland) recorded 77 receptions for 1,007 receiving yards and 4 TD receptions (with Josh McCown as his QB) and still only 29 years of age. 

He's also the most physical run blocking WR since Brandon Marshall/Quincy Enunwa. 

He's way more talented and his overall capabilities are more valuable than any #4 WR who's ever lived to play this game.

He's a #1 WR and no worse than a #2 on almost every single team within the league; and espicially New England.

"All he is, is a #4 WR" couldn't be further from the truth (just ask former multiple #1 CB's who've been beaten by Pryor like a drum). 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Don't forget, he was a QB for a while.

He is a physical freak, last year he was hurt.   He isn't a #1 type, but he is a good piece, much like Robby Anderson isn't a #1, but is a great threat and a weapon to be used.  They both can stretch the field, and then use Q and the TE the eat up the middle of the field.

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I came for a Calvin Pryor thread. Somebody owes me.

You've actually made my point, I post the name Pryor (1 of our 4 WRs) and Jet fans brains flash Calvin Pryor. Talk about a guy flying under the radar even with our own fans, lol. But this dude has serious potential, he looked f*cking huge on that out route & the ball was a bit high but at 6'-4' it was pitch & catch.

My wife was like, "holy sh*t that guy has long legs", lol. The guy is a physical specimen similar to Antonio Cromarty & actually similar to him in work ethic. Guys like this are so freaking athletic they don't practice the little things in technique that take you to another level. I just wonder if Terrell now feels he needs to fine tune his game so as not to be left out & join the fun. The Skins players went after him good, these guys have a lot of pride & certainly don't like being made fun of. As the season goes on, Darnold settles in, I look at a team like the Patriots & say, who do they have that can match up with this beast? 

9 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Back in only 2016 as a 1st year WR (for Cleveland) recorded 77 receptions for 1,007 receiving yards and 4 TD receptions (with Josh McCown as his QB) and still only 29 years of age. 

He's also the most physical run blocking WR since Brandon Marshall/Quincy Enunwa. 

He's way more talented and his overall capabilities are more valuable than any #4 WR who's ever lived to play this game.

He's a #1 WR and no worse than a #2 on almost every single team within the league; and espicially New England.

"All he is, is a #4 WR" couldn't be further from the truth (just ask former multiple #1 CB's who've been beaten by Pryor like a drum). 

He’s almost 30 and has 102 career receptions

its extremely hard to make the qb to wr switch

if he had a brad smith type career it would be a success 

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

He's never gonna duplicate that season he had in Cleveland but he'll still be a valuable weapon here. 

It's great to interchange these guys, they all bring something different to the table.

I agree.  There is no way he is duplicating his numbers in Cleveland in 2016 -- and he does not have to.

During that season, he was far and away the number one option -- receiving 140 targets.  TE Gary Barnidge was next with 82; next highest WR was Corey Coleman with 73. 

I expect we are going to spread the ball around a lot better than Cleveland did in 16.  I don't see Pryor getting more targets/receptions than Enunwa or Kearse (assuming he is healthy soon), but he can still be a valuable weapon who can make plays.

14 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Enjoyed those highlights but I wish the guys who put those clips together could choose music without 150 repetitions of the N word in them.  Call me old fashioned.

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Braylon Edwards had his best season(2007) with the Browns as well with 80 catches 1289 yds and 16 tds..

5 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Looked sort of sluggish the few times he was on the field.  Does he still have enough speed to get good enough separation?

I didn't think he looked sluggish at all? He could be in for some huge games now that Sam has put his penchant for finding Quincy on tape. Enunwas a marked man now after MNF, Anderson will get respect for his speed after that 40 yard TD, so Pryor & TEs running the seams should be wide open. Like someone else said, I'd love to see what kind of wheels Pryor still has if Sam hits him on a slant.

Archived