How The **** Are The Jets Favorites Over Denver?

New York Mick

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Lupz27 said:

I think a lot of people (foolishly) think the Jets defense is good, it’s really the only explanation (well other then the real reason it’s currently the line that is getting equal action $$$$$$ wise).

I figured the line moved but it’s the same as open. 

Vegas sets the line that they think will get the most action on both sides... not what they think will be the result of the game.

being only favored by 2 at home says that Denver is the “favorite”

short week, cross country, Denver is 1-10 in last 11 road games... makes sense

18 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Vegas isn’t wrong very often but I don’t see this one. 

Because Vegas doesn't get caught up in the moment and sees a team that trounced Detroit, manhandled Cleveland for a half and held Tannehill to 168 yards passing and sacked him 4 times. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting the Jets are great but they are no where near as bad as they were last week and Denver is coming off a MNF game (short week), travelling cross country and playing a 1PM game (11AM Denver time). And while we have to deal with Bowles, I am not sure Vance Joseph is any better...he is likely worse.

Vegas knows that while every guy at the bar will be betting Denver but the "sharps" will likely be pounding the Jets. 

So if you're betting, you have to ask  yourself which side of that game do you want to be on. 

22 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Vegas sets the line that they think will get the most action on both sides... not what they think will be the result of the game.

This is the type of useful information that explains the line, and why it is what it is.

Denver has more talent, but this could be a tough spot.

Heartbreaking loss at home that could linger (like the Browns loss may have for us), short week, cross country trip, playing a defense that people thought was decent before it gave up 388 passing yards to Blake Borltes. 

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

I did not know that. I’m still not betting this game. 

Denvers offense is sorta average.  Their OL isn't great (ours is better to give you an idea), but they still have some skill position players who cause matchup problems.

Denvers defense is also average.  Von Miller hasn't been playing well for awhile, but their biggest problem is their secondary is far from what it used to be. 

We actually have a better coaching staff...

This is a very winnable game. 

8 hours ago, Larz said:

Denver had a negative point differential and and the Jets have a higher ranked defense and are playing at home 

Let's see where the line goes 

Denver’s offense averages around 100 yards more per game then the Jets and is 3rd in rushing. The Jets have a better ranked D but the gap on offense is greater. 

Let’s hope Vegas is right. 

9 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I think a lot of people (foolishly) think the Jets defense is good, it’s really the only explanation (well other then the real reason it’s currently the line that is getting equal action $$$$$$ wise).

I would love to have snapshots of all the opponents' pass receptions this year.  I guarantee you will not see a Jet defender in the shot. Even Case Keenum should give us nightmares

1 hour ago, Hael said:

Denvers offense is sorta average.  Their OL isn't great (ours is better to give you an idea), but they still have some skill position players who cause matchup problems.

Denvers defense is also average.  Von Miller hasn't been playing well for awhile, but their biggest problem is their secondary is far from what it used to be. 

We actually have a better coaching staff...

This is a very winnable game. 

2nd and thirty, while LEADING the game, and couldn't get off the field.

10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Emmanuel Sanders - 10 catches

10 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Vegas isn’t wrong very often but I don’t see this one. 

I was surprised by this too.  Anytime a "fishy" line is out there... I believe Vegas is trying to set up the public. 

They want the majority of the public to bet on Denver... which means obviously... they think the Jets are going to win a close game.

Maybe the "short week, east coast trip, Denver off a devastating loss, Keenum is turnover prone, Jets due for a win" factors....

While many other's points about the betting is spot on, the other obvious reality is the skewed perspective. Don't get me wrong, no one thinks the Jets are any good, but no one but Jets fans are having some great meltdown over how bad this team is either. For most of the football world, the Jets are what they expected.

The Broncos on the other hand are considered a disappointment that is in the midst of falling apart. I doubt anyone out west is really in a big rush to be betting on them. The average fan really just sees this as 2 crappy teams facing off. 

12 hours ago, nico002 said:

but wasn't that one road win against us?

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Denver’s offense averages around 100 yards more per game then the Jets and is 3rd in rushing. The Jets have a better ranked D but the gap on offense is greater. 

Let’s hope Vegas is right. 

Crazy thing is the jets season is not over.  We could conceivably win the next two games and be 3-3 but Bowles will absolutely find a way to screw this up

12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Crazy thing is the jets season is not over.  We could conceivably win the next two games and be 3-3 but Bowles will absolutely find a way to screw this up

Crazy thing is I have no interest in going 7-9 unless those 7 wins are strictly because Darnold balled out.

Going 3-13 because the defense/ST sucks actually seems like a better deal to me. Let Darnold get his experience and hope he's not the reason we're losing games, and we end up with high picks, 100m+ in cap space, and a new GM, HC, OC, DC.

6 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I was surprised by this too.  Anytime a "fishy" line is out there... I believe Vegas is trying to set up the public. 

They want the majority of the public to bet on Denver... which means obviously... they think the Jets are going to win a close game.

Maybe the "short week, east coast trip, Denver off a devastating loss, Keenum is turnover prone, Jets due for a win" factors....

The Line for the Pats v Colts game tomorrow is Pats -10.5..... Whoa. 

I'm guessing the Jets are favored because Vegas thinks:

1) Denver will have a hangover after blowing a 2 score 4th quarter lead against the class of their division, at home

2) The Jets will play better at home.  Darnold will be able to make more audibles at the line, no silent count.  And he looked decent overall in his 1st home game against Miami even though the team didn't win.  Plus the Jets will be in desperation mode after dropping 3 straight.

23 hours ago, Larz said:

Denver had a negative point differential and and the Jets have a higher ranked defense and are playing at home 

Let's see where the line goes 

Plus the fact that Denver is coming off a short week possibly.

Archived