NFL Team Making a Play for Jim Harbaugh

Adoni Beast

With reports coming out of the Johnsons “Big Game Hunting” I wouldn’t be surprised if this team is the Jets.

Jim Harbaugh has said he won’t return to the NFL, that he won’t leave Michigan after his team’s bowl game. That won’t stop someone from trying to get his attention.

Per a league source, at least one team plans to make a run at Jim Harbaugh after the NFL season ends. Whether he’ll bite remains to be seen, but the team in question is prepared to put the kind of money on the table that will get Harbaugh’s attention.

Chris Simms recently suggested on PFT Live that one team is indeed waiting for a chance to interview Jim Harbaugh. Simms wouldn’t name the team, and I’ve yet to be able to track down the team’s identity. But there’s at least one team that will try to get Jim Harbaugh to come back to the NFL after four years at his alma mater.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/19/at-least-one-team-is-plotting-a-run-at-jim-harbaugh/

We're going to see stuff like this for months, a goodly portion of it theorycrafting and speculation at best.

The TLDR:  The Jets are interested in every living human being who could be an NFL Head Coach.

Ok, cool.  Wake me when there is some hard news, following all the speculation is honestly both exausting and inevitably dissapointing when we hire "meh first time HC Defensive guy X" instead of "spectacular experienced winner offensive guy Y" at the end of the day.

JMO.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s probably Green Bay. 

definitely one of the two teams that already fired their HC’s and I assume it’s GB. Dorsey probably wouldn’t want a guy that requires full control. 

Harbaugh + Rogers would be a disaster. Those personalities would clash constantly. I also don’t think he fits in with Green Bay’s organization at all. Too big of a personality. Too brash and eccentric.

Also Green Bay typically likes to hire a coach who is going to be there for the ling term. Always exception to the rule, but hiring a guy who will probably be gone in 4/5 years isn’t their style.Their guy is Josh McDaniels.

I don’t think Dorsey wants to give Harbaugh control. I say its the Jets.

It’d be hilarious if it were the Ravens though.

2 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Is Jim Harbaugh that much better than any other possible head coach that’s available? Yes the Jets do need an experienced HC but why try to overpay for a coach that might really want to stay where he’s at.  

I think people see what he did with Brees/Rivers in SD, Luck at Stanford, and Kaep in San Fran and think he'd be a good coach for Sam. I'm in that camp too I think but he would likely only be here for 4 years, he's incredibly abrassive according to people who have worked with him. Give the option I'd prefer John Harbough but Jim would be near the top of my list too, I just don't think he'll leave Michigan especially now that the top recruit for OSU flipped to go to Georgia that means he'll have a shot to actually beat them now that Urban will be gone.

10 minutes ago, TheGreenGhost said:

That rules out the Jets.

I think the Jets could surprise here-either that or they are hopeless.

The Johnsons are at risk of losing their franchise and fan base here.  How many friends, family and neighbors do you know that are not Jets or Giants fans?   They need to do something.

Just like Hess tried to run his team with his buddy Gutman and Mike Hickey drafting guys like Jeff Lageman, Mike Haight and Lam Jones, Hess eventually realized that he needed to hire real leadership and spent the money for Parcells.  

I can see them realizing that after Korn Ferry, and after Casserly and Wolf, they need another answer.  

If they don't, we know where we stand as fans, and it is not in a good place.  

Fans need to really define "retread coach", in my book they would be guys like:

Jack Del Rio
Jim Caldwell
Gregg Williams
Mike Smith 
Jim Schwartz
Lovie Smith

Coaches who had opportunities but never won anything.  To me guys like:

Mike McCarthy
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh

Have impressive resumes where they either won SB or changed organizations.

They aren't retreads

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Jack Del Rio
Jim Caldwell
Gregg Williams
Mike Smith 
Jim Schwartz
Lovie Smith

Mike McCarthy
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh

Have impressive resumes where they either won SB or changed organizations

It's like the last dance at a club, and deciding which fat chick your going to make a run at.

20 minutes ago, KRL said:

Jack Del Rio
Jim Caldwell
Gregg Williams
Mike Smith 
Jim Schwartz
Lovie Smith

Mike McCarthy
John Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh

Have impressive resumes where they either won SB or changed organizations.

They aren't retreads

Yes. Thank you. People need to look up "Mike McCarthy QB school" and what he did to develop Aaron Rodgers from a super raw guy with a strong arm to the player he is now. 

He would be perfect for Darnold.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is stupid — he’ll want total control. Keep Bowles and Maccagnan because they were only hired 4 years ago and others will think we’re being too rash and we’ll have trouble hiring our next HC and GM after them. #consistency

Ok so what would it take to get Jim in here ? 12 mil per ? Oh no !!!!!!! that's Fitz type money.... Can't happen

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is stupid — he’ll want total control. Keep Bowles and Maccagnan because they were only hired 4 years ago and others will think we’re being too rash and we’ll have trouble hiring our next HC and GM after them. #consistency

God forbid Someone would be in control and take accountability for their actions.

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Is Jim Harbaugh that much better than any other possible head coach that’s available? Yes the Jets do need an experienced HC but why try to overpay for a coach that might really want to stay where he’s at.  

Harbaugh is that much more valuable because not only is he a great coach and very adaptive on the sidelines but hes a QB and you know he will transform Darnold to all Darnold can be and more.

This is a very attractive situation for Harbaugh  115 mil to spend a good draft slot and a young QB to mold.

I hope to god its the Jets because of all the candidates yes Jim Harbaugh would take this team to the playoffs next year I'm sure of it.

Hire Harbaugh let him do with Macc what he wants ..... Sign Bell via FA and solidify the OL  add a #1 WR all very doable and let Harbaugh run the draft since he has a very specific knowledge of the college players currently coming out and you have a team transformed from a barrel of sh*t to a contender with respect players would want to play for.

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Harbaugh is that much more valuable because not only is he a great coach and very adaptive on the sidelines but hes a QB and you know he will transform Darnold to all Darnold can be and more.

This is a very attractive situation for Harbaugh  115 mil to spend a good draft slot and a young QB to mold.

I hope to god its the Jets because of all the candidates yes Jim Harbaugh would take this team to the playoffs next year I'm sure of it.

Hire Harbaugh let him do with Macc what he wants ..... Sign Bell via FA and solidify the OL  add a #1 WR all very doable and let Harbaugh run the draft since he has a very specific knowledge of the college players currently coming out and you have a team transformed from a barrel of sh*t to a contender with respect players would want to play for.

Fans need to realize the bolded statement is true.  Coaches will drool to mold a 21 year old

QB with the skills of Darnold

1 hour ago, TheGreenGhost said:

That rules out the Jets.

Spending money has never been a problem here, these are not the Wilcheaps, or, Coupons as Steve Somers named them. The problem here is the way they have elected to spend the money.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

With reports coming out of the Johnsons “Big Game Hunting” I wouldn’t be surprised if this team is the Jets.

Jim Harbaugh has said he won’t return to the NFL, that he won’t leave Michigan after his team’s bowl game. That won’t stop someone from trying to get his attention.

Per a league source, at least one team plans to make a run at Jim Harbaugh after the NFL season ends. Whether he’ll bite remains to be seen, but the team in question is prepared to put the kind of money on the table that will get Harbaugh’s attention.

Chris Simms recently suggested on PFT Live that one team is indeed waiting for a chance to interview Jim Harbaugh. Simms wouldn’t name the team, and I’ve yet to be able to track down the team’s identity. But there’s at least one team that will try to get Jim Harbaugh to come back to the NFL after four years at his alma mater.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/19/at-least-one-team-is-plotting-a-run-at-jim-harbaugh/

Its Green Bay or Browns IMO.... Jets would never be that forward thinking, whether its a good idea or bad idea is irrelevant in this case... The Johnson's wouldn't be smart enough to even look at Harbaugh.

5 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Spending money has never been a problem here, these are not the Wilcheaps, or, Coupons as Steve Somers named them. The problem here is the way they have elected to spend the money.

Correct.  Woody will spend.  If u can get harbaugh its a no brainer.  It instanly legitimizes the franchise the way parcells did in 97.

Jim Harbaugh isn't taking a paycut to go from his beloved alma mater to the Jets.

I can't see him leaving Michigan having never beaten Ohio State and never winning a Big Ten title on principle, either. Now that Meyer is leaving he's poised to take over the conference... And if he was going to come back tot he NFL I think he'd be able to pick his situation and I don't think we're it... Yet, anyway.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Its Green Bay or Browns IMO.... Jets would never be that forward thinking, whether its a good idea or bad idea is irrelevant in this case... The Johnson's wouldn't be smart enough to even look at Harbaugh.

They interviewed him the year they hired Rex actually. Apparently he was one of their finalists. Woody liked him, but felt he didn’t have enough experience after Mangini. Rex in Woody’s mind was the hot coordinator that year and went with Rex’s bravado.

Archived